Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Corvettefisher posted:

For ease of use and stability I would vouch for openfiler or a synology
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108077
2.5 inch drives pop in some 64gb ssd's and have all the fun, or more extravagant
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108113
2 nic's 3.5 inch drives

I would vouch for use of iscsi over NFS, but that is personal preference at a lab stage. Experiment both see what you like, but central storage is key to many of the VMware features.

NFS counts as central storage in VMware, and it's present in a lot of deployments. Openfiler, FreeBSD, or can all do both, and you probably should if you want to experiment with things in a lab setting. The VCP specifically includes NFS datastores as an objective. Use both.

Openfiler is not more stable than Solaris or *BSD. It's comparable, sure, but nothing on Linux touches ZFS until BTRFS matures a bit more, and that's a huge win. With napp-it (which is a one-command install), OpenSolaris becomes as easy to manage as Openfiler, except it's not a complete clusterfuck when you log in over SSH. ZFS is recommended everywhere when you ask people (here, Hardforum, Ars, etc) for a reason. Use Solaris or FreeBSD 9 if you can. Use Openfiler if it needs to be Linux.

Please don't recommend Synologys to anyone. You can build a much more capable NAS for much less money, with the same user friendliness and performance that makes Synology look MFM drives. The DS411 has god awful iSCSI performance, costs as much as an A-350 with a 2-port NIC with 8GB of RAM and a (small) SSD or (large) spinning drive, cannot be an ESX host, doesn't do anything else, etc. There is absolutely no reason to buy it unless you need a plug-and-play solution, to which "setting up my own home lab" for learning is generally orthogonal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

NFS counts as central storage in VMware, and it's present in a lot of deployments. Openfiler, FreeBSD, or can all do both, and you probably should if you want to experiment with things in a lab setting. The VCP specifically includes NFS datastores as an objective. Use both.

Openfiler is not more stable than Solaris or *BSD. It's comparable, sure, but nothing on Linux touches ZFS until BTRFS matures a bit more, and that's a huge win. With napp-it (which is a one-command install), OpenSolaris becomes as easy to manage as Openfiler, except it's not a complete clusterfuck when you log in over SSH. ZFS is recommended everywhere when you ask people (here, Hardforum, Ars, etc) for a reason. Use Solaris or FreeBSD 9 if you can. Use Openfiler if it needs to be Linux.

Please don't recommend Synologys to anyone. You can build a much more capable NAS for much less money, with the same user friendliness and performance that makes Synology look MFM drives. The DS411 has god awful iSCSI performance, costs as much as an A-350 with a 2-port NIC with 8GB of RAM and a (small) SSD or (large) spinning drive, cannot be an ESX host, doesn't do anything else, etc. There is absolutely no reason to buy it unless you need a plug-and-play solution, to which "setting up my own home lab" for learning is generally orthogonal.

Yes I am well aware of that, this is a lab environment gearing towards learning vmware though for a lab environment, why should he have to run through a install and configure for Solairs or FreeBSD when something like openfiler(or nas4free) is ready to go in <5 minutes. And yes it is, I had some NFS questions when I took my VCP5, hence the suggestion for playing with both.

I really have not had issues with NFS or iscsi on openfiler 2.99 in a lab environment.

I am well aware of the benefits of those technologies, but is it really necessary to go through that to get roughly the same end as openfiler NFS/Iscsi target would provide in a lab?

Yeah something like a HP N40L or similar would be a better choice however it's a lab. If he wants to spend time tweaking and configuring storage. However I take it you aren't aware of this http://www.kendrickcoleman.com/index.php/Tech-Blog/synology-dsm-40-supports-vaai-in-vsphere-5-for-home-labs.html which is pretty sweet to have away in a lab environment. Ahh that is on the + not slim my mistake

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 11, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Solaris and FreeBSD are not hard to set up. I think that's the principal disagreement we have.

The amount of time it'll take you to set it up is peanuts when compared to the lifespan of a home lab. It offers versatility. ZFS is extraordinarily useful if you decide you might want to use your storage box as a storage box for the rest of your network (which isn't to say snapshotting can't be useful as a VMFS datastore, but it's really fantastic on a NAS). Do you need to use FreeBSD or Solaris? No. FreeNAS, NAS4Free, and Openfiler all work fine. Is the flexibility useful in a home lab, where it may be serving multiple purposes? Yes.

If you want VAAI, Nexenta supports it, and it's free for home-sized workloads, but he'd have to configure storage! Oh no!

I don't think "if he wants to spend time tweaking and configuring storage" (read: 6 commands from a bare Opensolaris install to have a running iSCSI target) is a reasonable tradeoff for "if he wants iSCSI performance that can barely saturate 100M ethernet", which is the Synology. The N40L or N36L are better all around. There are no downsides. If "configuring storage" is such a horrible affair, install ESX on that, and Openfiler/FreeNAS inside ESX. It'll still perform better than a Synology.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Honestly, if you're scared of storage, what the gently caress are you even trying to run virtualization for? There's no way someone who can't figure out NAS4Free is going to survive in a production environment running real workloads.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What I am trying to say is he might want to start off with something like NAS4Free to begin with and go from there. Because really anyone into virtualization should be able to pick up Nas4free or OP and get it working. I don't know his background or how much he knows so I suggest a something like Openfiler or NAS4Free to start him off. Put it on an N40L or similar, tinker with it then play around with other solutions, and understand the difference between various types of storage methods.

Synology would be a 'I don't want to mess with it too much' approach. It still gives you a bunch of options and what not of raid, NFS, Iscsi, and some plugin capability. It's been also recommended in a few whitebox labs for the VCP and VCAP-DCA I have seen.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 11, 2012

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Heads up regarding vSphere 5.1's SSO (which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who reads docs); it doesn't behave without a working forward and reverse DNS entry.

What I mean to say is it'll install and all the services will start and things will seem to work. You can add hosts, setup HA/DRS, setup datastores and otherwise think everything is fine. The problem crops up when you reboot your vCenter host and now the vCenter service won't start. SSO will be started but there won't be anything listening on port 7444 (the default SSO port), you'll see a shitload of exceptions in the SSO logs and most likely nothing in the discover-is.log.

I've tested and verified this 3 times now (twice with friends/customers and once again in my own lab.)

To sum up, make sure you have PTR and A records for your vcenter and SSO hosts or you will be made very sad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I find that many people in IT have a terrible understanding of DNS as soon as you get beyond "uh it turns names into IP's". And even the how of that process isn't often well understood. Hell I worked at an ISP and literally none of the call center techs--who troubleshot DNS issues on a daily basis*--knew much about it. Reverse DNS in particular. Which is surprising to me since if you gently caress up DNS, your entire infrastructure will crumble to the ground.

*by troubleshooting DNS I mean that they just escalated anything they remotely suspected as being DNS related to the sysadmin queue :thumbsup:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I find that nobody really understands Kerberos, and that PTRs are necessary to securely verify the identity of any given client or server in a SSO setting.

You really should have dynamic DNS running, whether through dhcpd+BIND or AD doing the same thing. SSO is the last thing to tack onto a complete network, and it's not anywhere near complete if you don't have DNS and DHCP working hand in hand.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

DNS owns come at me. It's funny how much it matter yet so many people don't understand how it works or even what a fqdn is.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

I find that nobody really understands Kerberos, and that PTRs are necessary to securely verify the identity of any given client or server in a SSO setting.

You really should have dynamic DNS running, whether through dhcpd+BIND or AD doing the same thing.
SSO is the last thing to tack onto a complete network, and it's not anywhere near complete if you don't have DNS and DHCP working hand in hand.

This a million times this. I'm constantly encountering Windows domain environments where dynamic DNS registration hasn't been enabled on the DHCP server and/or there is no reverse lookup zone on the AD-integrated DNS server.

Of course even if you have everything setup properly all it takes is for some idiot to change and not update the password of the account that the DHCP server uses to bind to the DNS server...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

cheese-cube posted:

Of course even if you have everything setup properly all it takes is for some idiot to change and not update the password of the account that the DHCP server uses to bind to the DNS server...
:raise:

Dynamic updates should be going over GSS-TSIG using a keytab file. Why are passwords involved?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Whom is interested in some VDI/View/Server QA on Thursday 18th live over the phone/voip.

:siren: PLEASE EMAIL AND CALL ME PRIOR TO TUESDAY SO I CAN GET A HEAD COUNT :siren:

I REPEAT:

PLEASE EMAIL ME AS I AM NOT SURE ABOUT SPACE I NEED AN EMAIL BY LATEST TUESDAY!

If I get enough people I might be able to have people on a call demonstrating view, vsphere, and answering questions for poo poo.

Might be asking too much but,
Donations such as pizza will be amazingly accepted by myself and teacher to accommodate all timezone.

:siren::siren: PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME GIVE YOU A CALL PRIOR TO TUESDAY FOR THIS :siren::siren:

PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH SOME SORT OF CONTACT SO AT LEAST I CAN SPEAK WITH YOU KNOWING YOU WON'T RESTREAM poo poo TO EVERYONE.

I really would like to just say hell so I know whom I am talking to prior to poo poo.

Email is corevttefish3r (at) gmail.com

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2012

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Whom is interested in some VDI/View/Server QA on Thursday 18th live over the phone/voip.
As we're talking about testing VDI at newjob i would be interested in atleast listening to an offline version of a Q/A later on,
I don't really do live stuff, and will most likely be too tired / busy to attend it.

But good initiative man.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
if you are interested in some VDI please PM me I'll talk and try to help you out

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

:raise:

Dynamic updates should be going over GSS-TSIG using a keytab file. Why are passwords involved?

Sorry I should have clarified that I was talking about a Windows Server based DHCP and DNS server.

When you setup a Windows DHCP server that will perform secure dynamic DNS registration against a DNS server you have to provide the DHCP server with the credentials of a domain user account that is a member of the DnsUpdateProxy group (Example here).

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Corvettefisher posted:

Amazing Learning Offer

Emailed you.

Edit: email bounced back as undeliverable. I'm guessing the first part was mis-typed. Re-sent with a correction.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 13, 2012

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
I'm sitting in the VMWare ICM class right now and was wondering: What are general thoughts on reliability of vDS? I know with v4, it was a little too new to put in production for my tastes due to the constant tweaking in updates. We're looking at a deployment of View with about 1200 machines and a few (12 to start) blade servers, which makes vDS very attractive from a management standpoint.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

evol262 posted:

You really should have dynamic DNS running, whether through dhcpd+BIND or AD doing the same thing. SSO is the last thing to tack onto a complete network, and it's not anywhere near complete if you don't have DNS and DHCP working hand in hand.

Good lord... the teacher talked about DNS just now, and that VMWare likes having DNS names for some services. I replied "SSO, right?" He said "Yes, you can click on the box on the client."

*sigh* Why do they make people take this class for the certification?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BelDin posted:

Good lord... the teacher talked about DNS just now, and that VMWare likes having DNS names for some services. I replied "SSO, right?" He said "Yes, you can click on the box on the client."

*sigh* Why do they make people take this class for the certification?

They make more money certifying people this way.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

madmaan posted:

They make more money certifying people this way.

Welp, there goes my real questions like how to size luns and guest OS to avoid problems with disk contention and SCSI reservations in our View environment. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BelDin posted:

Welp, there goes my real questions like how to size luns and guest OS to avoid problems with disk contention and SCSI reservations in our View environment. :(

I would ask anyway and forward the answer you got to vmware. Maybe you could get some free stuff out of the deal?

I paid for a community college course I never really attended to get my VCP. At least the professor was cool about it. He quizzed me briefly to satisfy his curiosity and told me that he wouldn't raise a fuss. We did have a long phone call after I passed the test about what I studied and what I thought was important concepts.

I both love and hate the class attendance requirement.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The trainers don't need to know everything to be able to teach you what VMware feels is important for that class.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

madmaan posted:

I would ask anyway and forward the answer you got to vmware. Maybe you could get some free stuff out of the deal?

I paid for a community college course I never really attended to get my VCP. At least the professor was cool about it. He quizzed me briefly to satisfy his curiosity and told me that he wouldn't raise a fuss. We did have a long phone call after I passed the test about what I studied and what I thought was important concepts.

I both love and hate the class attendance requirement.

Yeah, I figure I will wait until class is finishing up on Friday to ask questions like that. No sense in chewing up the other student's time. I may share some experiences for now and leave it at that.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

three posted:

The trainers don't need to know everything to be able to teach you what VMware feels is important for that class.

Fair enough... I just figured it was more than a basic certification class. Guess my expectations were too high.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

BelDin posted:

I'm sitting in the VMWare ICM class right now and was wondering: What are general thoughts on reliability of vDS? I know with v4, it was a little too new to put in production for my tastes due to the constant tweaking in updates. We're looking at a deployment of View with about 1200 machines and a few (12 to start) blade servers, which makes vDS very attractive from a management standpoint.

vDS has pretty good reliability now, but I also like to maintain a non-vDS management network just in case.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

madsushi posted:

vDS has pretty good reliability now, but I also like to maintain a non-vDS management network just in case.
That's also what I do.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

evil_bunnY posted:

That's also what I do.

Thirding this. Got my rear end bit a few weeks ago when a server failed and took out vCenter and HA didn't recover it properly. Editing vmx files on the console isn't much fun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Honestly, if you're scared of storage, what the gently caress are you even trying to run virtualization for? There's no way someone who can't figure out NAS4Free is going to survive in a production environment running real workloads.

Pretty much this. If you want to be a "VMware guy" you had better know your storage, and have a decent head for networking as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

cheese-cube posted:

Sorry I should have clarified that I was talking about a Windows Server based DHCP and DNS server.

When you setup a Windows DHCP server that will perform secure dynamic DNS registration against a DNS server you have to provide the DHCP server with the credentials of a domain user account that is a member of the DnsUpdateProxy group (Example here).

For non domain joined machines.. yes. In a 100% Windows domain environment you don't need to enable that as domain joined machines will reach out and automatically register themselves with the DNS server. I had to turn this on at one of my engineering sites so their Linux hostnames would populate in DNS.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Rhymenoserous posted:

Pretty much this. If you want to be a "VMware guy" you had better know your storage, and have a decent head for networking as well.

I still think the two careers that you can make still being a generalist is in virtualization and security. You are just specializing in generalism. :)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Currently I'm running 3 networks: VM network as a vDS, management and iSCSI on normal vswitches. Is there any reason I should move iSCSI to a vDS in the future as we keep expanding this setup? Is there any reason not to?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BelDin posted:

I still think the two careers that you can make still being a generalist is in virtualization and security. You are just specializing in generalism. :)

You know... technically I agree.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

Currently I'm running 3 networks: VM network as a vDS, management and iSCSI on normal vswitches. Is there any reason I should move iSCSI to a vDS in the future as we keep expanding this setup? Is there any reason not to?

I use the VDS for VM net traffic, things like Management, vMotion, and Storage on the host. I believe it is best practice to keep storage off of a VDS, however it is a known practice for people to do this.

E: Actually that might have been for 4.1 not sure about 5.0/5.1

E: http://blogs.vmware.com/education/2012/10/free-book-excerpt-official-vcp5-certification-guide.html

First free chapter of the VCP5 blueprint

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 17, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Where is the setting to specify a target IP to send heartbeats to in the high availability configuration on your ESXi hosts? I think I may have messed around with it on a host in the cluster a year or two ago and it has been causing problems with that one getting knocked in to isolation mode, and now I can't find the drat thing.

e: N/M found it, das.isolationaddress under the HA advanced config. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006421

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You don't specify an IP. Heartbeats happen over the management interface when you configure your host for HA.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think he's talking about the isolation address, which is the gateway by default.

You can use the das.isolationaddress advanced option to change that.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006421

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I see a bunch of people who are running the software iSCSI adapter without it bound to a VMkernel Port, am I right in saying that it is defaulting or sending traffic out the management VMkernel port? I know it sounds really odd but I was able to recreate it in my lab. I still have R/W permissions and can mount the datastore. These do have network VMkernel ports (without bindings) on the same network as the storage, so it is just finding it's way automatically or doing something else?

I know this isn't the way to do it but I was just wondering what was going on in the backend.

Guess I could fire up some wireshark and see exactly which port it is going out and powercli in a bit.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 17, 2012

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Do your iSCSI targets show you which IPs the sessions are coming from?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

Do your iSCSI targets show you which IPs the sessions are coming from?

Haven't gotten that far yet, still doing the survey/audit of their network writing up a "poo poo you need to Fix" list.

My best guess at the moment is it is seeing the VSS and network and passing it that way, but still it needs to be addressed, as well as MANY other things. No buying enterprise plus doesn't mean all the features are auto configuring and setup out of the box... Great to see 2.2GB of Host swapping...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Haven't gotten that far yet, still doing the survey/audit of their network writing up a "poo poo you need to Fix" list.

My best guess at the moment is it is seeing the VSS and network and passing it that way, but still it needs to be addressed, as well as MANY other things. No buying enterprise plus doesn't mean all the features are auto configuring and setup out of the box... Great to see 2.2GB of Host swapping...

So their storage and server networks are not segregated?