Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CzarChasm posted:

What is meant when someone is referred to as a "character actor"? I mean, unless you only do bio-pics, all roles are "characters". And I don't think I've ever seen the title applied to women/actresses.

I've always interpreted it as an actor well known for playing a "type" -- John Turturro as a neurotic, William Atherton as an rear end in a top hat, etc.

It's a pretty fluid definition, though. A lot of people just use it to describe prominent actors that aren't traditional leading men and women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
This is a little more TV, but what is the reason behind the "multi camera" versus "single camera" distinction? "Single camera" movies/shows clearly have multiple cameras shooting different angles within each scene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mustach posted:

This is a little more TV, but what is the reason behind the "multi camera" versus "single camera" distinction? "Single camera" movies/shows clearly have multiple cameras shooting different angles within each scene.

They don't though, that's the thing...
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Maybe you could give an example?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mustach posted:

Multi-cam is like a stage show; it's called such because multiple cameras are filming simultaneously and they just cut what they want from there for broadcast.

Single cam stuff usually has a fourth wall which is seen occasionally (eg, in Community the study room can be seen from all angles) where as with multi-cam stuff there's always a wall never shown.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mustach posted:

Multi-camera means there's like a row of 3 or 4 cameras recording each take, so everything has that flat tableau sort of look (think Seinfeld). Single camera just uses, well, a single camera and they shoot each scene a few times from different angles like a regular movie.

This is a multi-camera set:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CzarChasm posted:

What is meant when someone is referred to as a "character actor"? I mean, unless you only do bio-pics, all roles are "characters". And I don't think I've ever seen the title applied to women/actresses.

It used to mean people like Jonathan Banks, Lance Henrikson, Michael Ironside et al. It's rarely the lead, but always a supporting player.

These days things work a little differently. I guess you could say Richard Jenkins is a character actor by the old definition of it, but he still gets leading roles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

It used to mean people like Jonathan Banks, Lance Henrikson, Michael Ironside et al. It's rarely the lead, but always a supporting player.

These days things work a little differently. I guess you could say Richard Jenkins is a character actor by the old definition of it, but he still gets leading roles.

Lance Henrikson had a tv show for 3 seasons and two of them were amazing

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Where did the current trend of the camera having a subtle handheld look and shake to it come from in modern comedies?

The Office?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Where did the current trend of the camera having a subtle handheld look and shake to it come from in modern comedies?

The Office?

All those shows are basically copping Rob Reiner's mockumentaries, it seems.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I can understand it in the Office, but in shows like Modern Family, COugartown, etc. etc where it's just a straight comedy show, why have that shake?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I can understand it in the Office, but in shows like Modern Family, COugartown, etc. etc where it's just a straight comedy show, why have that shake?

It's just a style that reads as more "authentic" to viewers, and it's probably also an attempt to court younger viewers. Traditional multicam sitcoms can feel relatively flat and stagey in comparison.

But yeah, The Office was a big success with the mockumentary format so now you see it awkwardly shoehorned into stuff.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

penismightier posted:

Single camera just uses, well, a single camera and they shoot each scene a few times from different angles like a regular movie.
OK, I see now. Seems like a waste to do different takes for every angle, but that ain't my problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I've never seen Cougartown, but Modern Family is a mockumentary like The Office. It's not great at making that apparent, but that's why they do the same character interviews.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I've been playing Dishonored recently and it's given me the craving to watch a good Steampunk flavoured film. Are there any good ones out there that you can recommend?

The only Steampunk-esque films I can think of are: Wild Wild West, Van Helsing, Hellboy, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and the only one of those I enjoyed was Hellboy.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Criminal Minded posted:

All those shows are basically copping Rob Reiner's mockumentaries, it seems.

Christopher Guest, actually. Reiner directed This Is Spinal Tap, but Guest wrote/directed Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, etc. He was clearly a big influence on Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant when they created "The Office," which became a huge hit in the States, and so it became a trend.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lance Henrikson had a tv show for 3 seasons and two of them were amazing

One of them really. Season 1 was alright, but Season 2 is one of my favourite seasons of anything ever.

Still, that's where the line has started to blur. But certainly in the 80's those guys were character actors. They're usually "Hey it's that guy!" type of roles.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
24 started around the same time as the original run of the UK Office, and certainly had a higher profile at least in the US. In these cases the "shake" simply a side effect of a human operator holding a camera and walking around.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Malcolm in the Middle is the show that introduced the term to the TV-going public in the US. I even remember it being cited as the reason it quickly became a critical hit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Rake Arms posted:

Christopher Guest, actually. Reiner directed This Is Spinal Tap, but Guest wrote/directed Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, etc. He was clearly a big influence on Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant when they created "The Office," which became a huge hit in the States, and so it became a trend.

D'oh, I knew that. :downs: Good looking out.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Yeah, the shaky camera thing is mostly just a trend that has become fashionable because it was used in certain important / influential shows. It makes 100% sense in faux-documentaries like The Office and kinda makes sense in stuff like Curb Your Enthusiasm where it adds to the blurring of reality and the "this is kinda improvised" feel.

As an aside, the "found footage" shaky-cam gimmick in horror movies, while done-to-death, can have the often overlooked benefit of giving the perception that the camera itself (and to a certain extent, you the audience) is in as much peril as the characters because it's like, really there.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Malcolm in the Middle is the show that introduced the term to the TV-going public in the US. I even remember it being cited as the reason it quickly became a critical hit.

Good call, I didn't even think about this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You could actually cite the Larry Sanders show too, but I get the feeling only network TV shows "count" in this conversation.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mustach posted:

OK, I see now. Seems like a waste to do different takes for every angle, but that ain't my problem.

Well that's why most sitcoms don't go single-camera. BUT it results in a higher quality, more refined look. It's no indicator of quality, but it's sort of a "prestige" look for a sitcom in a way since it implies it wasn't just churned out from a studio set.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

Well that's why most sitcoms don't go single-camera. BUT it results in a higher quality, more refined look. It's no indicator of quality, but it's sort of a "prestige" look for a sitcom in a way since it implies it wasn't just churned out from a studio set.

Depending on a lot of factors, I think it can also be cheaper, since cameras are expensive. Obviously there's a trade-off with how long it takes to shoot a scene though. I could be wrong though, I don't remember where I heard that...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

Depending on a lot of factors, I think it can also be cheaper, since cameras are expensive. Obviously there's a trade-off with how long it takes to shoot a scene though. I could be wrong though, I don't remember where I heard that...

Plus you only have to pay one camera operator, and you aren't nearly as constrained on sets, there are a bunch of episodes of Community where they are never in the study room.
Also I think it makes it easier to have dramatic heft, I don't think the 3 camera hour long drama exists. Scrubs, which came out a year after Malcolm in the Middle, used a single camera and while it was a comedy, it could get as maudlin as MASH at times.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Silas the Mariner posted:

I've been playing Dishonored recently and it's given me the craving to watch a good Steampunk flavoured film. Are there any good ones out there that you can recommend?

The only Steampunk-esque films I can think of are: Wild Wild West, Van Helsing, Hellboy, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and the only one of those I enjoyed was Hellboy.

The City of Lost Children for sure, maybe The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Silas the Mariner posted:

Brazil is also a good pick. You might have more luck in the Recommend Me thread, though.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Fantastic, thanks both of you!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

I've never seen Cougartown, but Modern Family is a mockumentary like The Office. It's not great at making that apparent, but that's why they do the same character interviews.

Modern Family is so weird. It's a very traditional, broad sitcom but the multi-camera and pseudo-documentary style run completely counter to the writing and acting. The juxtaposition ends up raising the artifice and making it very obvious you are watching *actors* on a *set* reading *lines*. It's very post-modern but I don't think that's their intent.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Tenterhooks posted:

Yeah, the shaky camera thing is mostly just a trend that has become fashionable because it was used in certain important / influential shows. It makes 100% sense in faux-documentaries like The Office and kinda makes sense in stuff like Curb Your Enthusiasm where it adds to the blurring of reality and the "this is kinda improvised" feel.

If you want to look at it historically from an american television standpoint, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Homicide: Life on the Streets, was huge steps in more active and subject camera use.

Regarding the Multi vs. Single camera debate, generally single camera stuff is produced, and looks, more like movies.

They are shot on location, more thoughts are put into the visuals, and the budget is almost always higher. Another difference is that the script is more or less followed verbatim, while on a multi-cam production shot on stage, you can have the writers sitting backstage and come up with major ad-hoc changes if stuff doesn't work. Also multi-cams are shot in a day, while single-cams can take a week or even more.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Trump posted:

If you want to look at it historically from an american television standpoint, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Homicide: Life on the Streets, was huge steps in more active and subject camera use.

Kojak, too! though it was a bit ahead of the curve

What's interesting about the TV look is that a lot of the 1950s and early '60s actually had a lot of really active and ambitious camerawork - aside from the Playhouse 90/Studio One stuff, you had things like The Defenders, Route 66, and Naked City which all had a sort of proto-Homicide authenticity to their location footage. The dull flatness really blossomed in the 70s and 80s for some reason.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

penismightier posted:

Kojak, too! though it was a bit ahead of the curve

What's interesting about the TV look is that a lot of the 1950s and early '60s actually had a lot of really active and ambitious camerawork - aside from the Playhouse 90/Studio One stuff, you had things like The Defenders, Route 66, and Naked City which all had a sort of proto-Homicide authenticity to their location footage. The dull flatness really blossomed in the 70s and 80s for some reason.

I think All In the Family was that reason, Lear wanted to use videotape to create a certain look for the show but TV exec. immediately saw it as a way to save money on productions costs. Videotape was also used on earlier shows (Twilight Zone had 5 episodes taped) but AITF made it viable.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Island Nation posted:

I think All In the Family was that reason, Lear wanted to use videotape to create a certain look for the show but TV exec. immediately saw it as a way to save money on productions costs. Videotape was also used on earlier shows (Twilight Zone had 5 episodes taped) but AITF made it viable.

Huh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. It's a good look for All In the Family, too. It gives it sort of an extra layer of dinginess.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Snak posted:

The cost of the camera is negligible since they're all rented. Multi-cam is way cheaper because they can blaze through a taping in 1-2 days.

widunder
May 2, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

My favorite quote was from a British journalist who said "he's often referred to as what the Americans call a 'character actor', which is what we call an 'actor'".

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CzarChasm posted:

I just saw an interesting documentary today about this, called That Guy...Who Was In That Thing.

It is currently running on Showtime here in the US.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm not sure why but I'm finding myself wondering what the first movie was to have a character suffer a nose bleed as an indication of psychological duress. Suggestions?

Maybe if I fixate on this too hard my ears will start bleeding also.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ynohtna posted:

I'm not sure why but I'm finding myself wondering what the first movie was to have a character suffer a nose bleed as an indication of psychological duress. Suggestions?

Maybe if I fixate on this too hard my ears will start bleeding also.

Unghk, as directed by Gronk, circa 50,000 BCE.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a "right" way to watch Inland Empire? I saw it in theaters in '06 and I've been meaning to rewatch it for a long time but it's obviously somewhat of an undertaking. I've got the DVD that includes 211 minutes of extra footage in "More Things That Happened." Is this worth it? I've got 6.5 hours to kill, but I don't know if my psyche can take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My technique is to watch it with all the lights off and take as few breaks as possible (preferably zero). I've never seen the extras disc, though. I almost can't believe he shot that much footage (editing must've been a nightmare) but then again a bunch of his other films have been edited down too - Wild At Heart was four hours and Blue Velvet was eight or something ridiculous like that.