Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Like Madison is ever going to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Please come back, Art!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My random captain team might be the worst team i've ever put together.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
You managed to draw possibly the worst captain I've ever seen since I've been playing in that league, because crazy is dumb and doesn't vet captains.

I mean, there's a little bit of charm to the league with the risk you could get a sub-par captain, but there's a big difference to a passable one like Kiki Cuyler and the downright poo poo that is Carlos Lee.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

ArtVandelay posted:

My random captain team might be the worst team i've ever put together.

uhh, we've all been in HBD with you dude

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

You managed to draw possibly the worst captain I've ever seen since I've been playing in that league, because crazy is dumb and doesn't vet captains.

I mean, there's a little bit of charm to the league with the risk you could get a sub-par captain, but there's a big difference to a passable one like Kiki Cuyler and the downright poo poo that is Carlos Lee.

Haha wow. i wasn't expecting you to defend me.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
If all of my picks sign in Mordecai my draft will of been ok. Nothing great especially with the 3rd overall pick, but I cant help that this draft class had like 3 good players and I only saw 1 of them.

Seems like I got a decent DH, a solid RP, a solid SP and possibly a good SS.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Hahaha my palyer salary is capped out so much that I can't afford the $7k contracts for all my rookies, gently caress me. give me money for AAAAers thanks

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Nerokerubina posted:

Hahaha my palyer salary is capped out so much that I can't afford the $7k contracts for all my rookies, gently caress me. give me money for AAAAers thanks

I've had that happen before. Ended up waiving all my $3xxk guys in AAA hoping that someone would bite and take one

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Was that when I got Slash Hamels or did you do that some other time?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

Was that when I got Slash Hamels or did you do that some other time?

Yeah that was when you got Slash. I also lost two other AAA guys.

Andrea Hawkins and Desi Rodriguez, both claimed by Philly. If I had known the other two would have been claimed I would have held on to Slash.

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 24, 2012

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So all in all I did not have a bad draft in Mordecai.

Round 1 Pick 3

My draft scouting showed him actually hitting SS where as my zero advanced does not.

Round1 Pick 24

I believe he has more power than my projections show.

Round 1 Pick 33

A solid SP but not Matthews/Gilmore :(

Round 1 Pick 46

I needed arms in my system.

Of course I was one pick away from getting

who went 2nd overall :cry:

and I did not see

who when 4th overall :suicide:

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 24, 2012

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

:increasingly-growing-stare:

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

So I've been messing around with a free OL league just to play with team building and try to get a better feel for SLB. I put together this squad:

Were this a full season, I feel like I skimped a bit on PAs and I'm still not sure how to build a good bullpen. I could use some constructive criticism.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

For an OL team, you should only use as many PAs as you need to hit the 4800 minimum with your starting 8 (not your starters + bench, so you can waive your 200k bench scrubs), unless you're doing something like an offense heavy Coors team. That 4800 is more than enough when you factor in AAA player usage.

The main thing with OL bullpen building is really just whether or not you're okay using the Reliever Usual Suspects. There are a number of mainstays who are just so drat cheap, and good enough replacements of the super elite relievers, that there's no reason to use the very top of the line guys over them. Kimbrel is an example of a guy who is prohibitively expensive for a fine tuned OL team.

Unless you want to go outside the box, an OL bullpen should basically consist of guys like: '15 Tim McCabe, '15 Cy Falkenberg, '18 Roy Mitchell, '24 Babe Adams, '19 Art Nehf, '72 Steve Busby, '92 Rasmussen, '12 Carl Weilman, '80/'81 Andy Rincon, '40 Tiny Bonham, '14 Ernie Shore, '08 Frank Arellanes, '06 Maddux, many Mo years, etc. For example

There are literally dozens more I could name. Basically you could just sort guys in the draft center by ERC# and go down the list adding the cheapest guys by $/IP and you could build an effective bullpen. Obviously you'll want to tailor things to what your team needs, your park, how you like to handle a staff, etc., but by and large you just need the most effective value guys available.

The one super expensive guy that's typically worth having is Milacki, since he won't crimp your budget with only 26 innings and because he has the added utility of being a must-win playoff starter. There are some other similar guys (like '70 Vida) but Milacki's the best of the best there.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I think this is why I like the Goon theme league, because at least the theme gives me something to focus on instead of browsing an endless number of players/seasons.

Also what's special about Milacki that you can use him as a spot starter in the playoffs?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He's basically the best pitcher in the entirety of the sim and can go 8 IP/G. If you absolutely have to win just one game, you start Milacki. Since he only has 26 IP you're pretty much burning him for the remainder of the playoffs but he take the 50/50-ish nature of a typical game and tip it strongly in your favor.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The other nice thing about Milacki is that he's an absolute lock down closer. If you never get to that point where you're in a do or die elimination game he'll just keep coming out in the 9th inning and shutting the other team down 1-2-3.

Open league pitching staffs are pretty drat boring unless you're doing something gimmicky. But there's a reason that guys like '08 Addie, '68 McLain, '92 Rasmussen show up on so many teams.

e: And of course when I say that, Milacki blows a playoff save. This is a freaking awesome playoff game by the way

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

You can build an entire pitching staff out of the year 1908 without too much trouble, I did it once

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
That was prettymuch the whole idea behind my WISC 100m team. Somehow none of the other 95 teams also thought of 1908.

Devo posted:

e: And of course when I say that, Milacki blows a playoff save. This is a freaking awesome playoff game by the way

Joss pinch hitting for Overall :confused:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

foolish_fool posted:

That was prettymuch the whole idea behind my WISC 100m team. Somehow none of the other 95 teams also thought of 1908.

That was like the first year I thought of, but I couldn't get an offense that I didn't hate.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

foolish_fool posted:

Joss pinch hitting for Overall :confused:

Yeah Sparky is weird sometimes. I haven't looked into that game deeply enough to see who else he had on his bench.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

That was like the first year I thought of, but I couldn't get an offense that I didn't hate.

In a general sense, this is probably why you (and similarly alleyviper) are at the top of the list and I ended up very midfield. I'm really bad at drafting offense :(

e: Overall is a whole lot better hitter than Joss I think in general though? Though I'm not sure which versions these are...

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 28, 2012

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

Yeah Sparky is weird sometimes. I haven't looked into that game deeply enough to see who else he had on his bench.

13 man pitching staff, so his position players were spent

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I think 1915 is another single-season pitching staff year although I'm just guessing based on a bunch of relievers being from around then

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Is that the dude who enters 2008 Cubs into open leagues with no changes

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

At last, an owner i'm actually better than!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Is that the dude who enters 2008 Cubs into open leagues with no changes

Judging by the team names of his active teams, no. I only even noticed him because his team is currently on an L30 in the OL my cookie team is in.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

No he's way more interesting in that he waives his entire team two or three times over the course of a season, regardless of performance like check this poo poo out

Naturally this results in a bunch of fatigued, terrible players

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I don't understand why you would waste your money like this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That looks like a pretty solid bullpen, yeah? Waterson and Singleton are both great and everyone else but Sammy Scott is average or better. Overall should be an asset for m-

guh

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

How is Iwamura the bright spot of that pen

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Here's a thing.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is for MBU

Crushes

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ersty :swoon:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

d. erstad booms one to right center for a touchback

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

b. bonds calls for fair catch on d. erstad double to left

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm seriously considering setting up an all clones theme league again, just for the hell of it. Who here would be interested in starting it back up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Two Man Band: THE RETURN!

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=461164&TopicsTimeframe=30

• Locked thread