Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there a reason JRPGs like to mimic anime as apposed to Japanese history and heritage? It seems rather odd to me that a culture so rich wouldn't be used as a basis to build your JRPG off of.

Most western RPGs have an underline premise of European history. Older RPGs took stories from ye olden times and incorporated fantasy that was based off of western mythology to build a game. Even a game like Skyrim took influences from ancient Norse culture.

I think it would be pretty cool to play a JRPG based largely around one of the Classical or Feudal Japan eras. They could even incorporate some of the ancient Asian mythology to make it more fantasy based.

I can't really name a single JRPG that makes me think "Oh, wow, this really does make me feel like I'm in 1185 Japan. Maybe I just need to play more JRPGs?

A lot of JRPGs do mimic Japanese history and heritage. It's just less easy to recognize that. There are a number of callbacks which just fly over the head of Westerners. There are not a lot which actually go full-out historical, but that is generally because it isn't what they want to do. Japan has a lot of history and it's much easier to overlook it if you're not actually versed in Japanese history. (Beyond the obvious stuff. I imagine everyone goes "Oh, Nobunaga Oda, I recognize that dude, he's the guy who turned into a demon in like 20 different games, including Pokemon.)

The reason why a lot of Western fantasy games stick to European history is less because of an interest in history and more because Tolkien is the standard to which nobody will deviate unless they are intentionally deviating from it by making it darker/rapier/whatever. That isn't to say there aren't some which are just basing themselves off historical myths, but a large portion more are going "Man, we need it to be more Tolkien." (Or in certain cases, more Thing That Was Inspired By Tolkien.)

A lot of game makers are just not very creative or good. They end up making knockoff versions of whatever is popular at the moment or knockoff versions of something they like. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes their source material very recognizable. In the case of Japan... well, you've got Japanese nerds making Japanese games, and inevitably you're going to get the equivalent of that dude from Bioware who insisted on putting Joss Whedon and Portal references in his medieval fantasy game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's also the fact that Europe is an exotic locale in Japan. There's a reason why things like Neon Genesis Evangelion exist: Christianity in Japan is viewed with the same kind of mindset that people have when Voodoo is mentioned in the West.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I guess it's a lot more subtle for Westerners to notice, especially ones that don't have a wide understanding of the culture there.

Still, I would love to play a historical JRPG made from developers that are actually from that region. I often wonder how much of the influence that Western developers take form Japan is actually pure reference and not a caricature of what Western society perceives Eastern culture to be.

Also, we may as well turn this thread into the JRPG/Japanese/Anime thread.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

As I continue my playthroughs of almost every FF I would like to profess my love for the spell Bio. How did I never use this wonderful wonderful spell when I was a child? Bad guy seems like he absorbs everything? Bio! Tons of bad guys but I don't want to burn MP? Bio! It's such a fantastic spell.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What determines who acts first in FFT, when there is a bunch of guys who have the same speed? I'm trying to block the drat doorways in Sand Rat's Siescht, and my Knight ends up moving AFTER the enemy's knights.

It's the LFT patch, in case that matters.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Make him a ninja and let him block the doorway with his corpse.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Azran posted:

What determines who acts first in FFT, when there is a bunch of guys who have the same speed? I'm trying to block the drat doorways in Sand Rat's Siescht, and my Knight ends up moving AFTER the enemy's knights.

It's the LFT patch, in case that matters.

This could be totally wrong, but I remember hearing someone say it was based around unit numbers. So if both the enemy unit and your character unit have a speed of 9, the game takes the one with the smaller unit number and makes them go first. Since unit numbers are generated to make sure no characters have the same number, the game can always pick the smaller number to decide who goes first.

Knight A(unit number 1004)
Speed: 9

Knight B(unit number 0096)
Speed: 9

Knight B always goes ahead of Knight A, unless there are some speed effects on the characters like Slow and Haste.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is also missing the massive irony of saying " I loving hate anime and all that grabagey doe-eye poo poo with all its sweatdrops, gratuitous child sexualization, et cetera." and then "It's a really sweeping designation, the JRPG. It's like saying Alpha Protocol, Champions of Krynn, and Skyrim are all WRPGs. It's true, but you can classify and describe them totally separately."

Not to mention Final Fantasy 9 being his favorite Final Fantasy.

Oh hey, here's a guy who pats a teenage girls rear end and a doll thing with an existential crisis. Definitely not anime, no sir.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Vermain posted:

There's also the fact that Europe is an exotic locale in Japan. There's a reason why things like Neon Genesis Evangelion exist: Christianity in Japan is viewed with the same kind of mindset that people have when Voodoo is mentioned in the West.

The "Lance of Longibunne" was my favorite pub job item in FF Tactics.

quote:

Legend holds it once slew a demon that had seized control of the mortal realm.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ross posted:

The "Lance of Longibunne" was my favorite pub job item in FF Tactics.

:iceburn: on Jesus, god drat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

Oh hey, here's a guy who pats a teenage girls rear end and a doll thing with an existential crisis. Definitely not anime, no sir.

That describes a rather large segment of the cast for a one line phrase.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

A "doll thing with an existential crisis" is a Blade Runner trope, not an anime one. Try harder.

And a "guy who pats a teenage girl's rear end" when he's also a teenager isn't anime, either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

A "doll thing with an existential crisis" is a Blade Runner trope, not an anime one. Try harder.

And a "guy who pats a teenage girl's rear end" when he's also a teenager isn't anime, either.

... you, uh, do know that existed long before Blade Runner, right? You can't even argue Blade Runner popularized it or anything. I mean Frankenstein for Christ's sake.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Himuro posted:

Okay, I admit I was biased and it probably belongs in the first category. It does some sketch poo poo, but it's never knocked out of the park because it's still pantomime and the only creepy overacting you get is provided by your own brain.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 18, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

... you, uh, do know that existed long before Blade Runner, right? You can't even argue Blade Runner popularized it or anything. I mean Frankenstein for Christ's sake.

I would argue that, in the current zeitgeist, Blade Runner has more of an influence on the trope than Frankenstein does.

And it doesn't matter because you're just proving that it's not an anime thing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Anime owns! There I said it :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Anime owns! There I said it :colbert:
This, but without even the possibility of irony.

Seriously though, why do people have to 'prove' that their opinions are right? You like FF9. Coo'. You don't like SMT or Star Ocean or whatever. Aight. You don't need to make mass accusations of pedophilia to allow yourself to have that opinion.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
edit: No point in continuing this discussion.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 18, 2012

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Can y'all shut the gently caress up about actual anime and just argue about our anime video games instead

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst anime in the series.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Theatrhythm Expert Mode is when the real game begins. This game doesn't play. The difficulty is pretty much perfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I would argue that, in the current zeitgeist, Blade Runner has more of an influence on the trope than Frankenstein does.

And it doesn't matter because you're just proving that it's not an anime thing.

You would be pretty silly to argue that. Blade Runner is an excellent film but its longest-lasting contributions were visual. The concept of an artificial being vs a human was around long before Blade Runner, even if you're just referring to fully artificial robots. Asimov alone would be a much greater contributor, not to belittle Blade Runner.

And the problem with arguing that something is an 'anime thing' is that there's very very little in the world that actually is exclusive to one culture. I can think of French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and American stories which all cover the subject of "a doll with an existential crisis," with the primary differences being in execution, cultural context and general themes. It's not an "anime thing" but arguing that something is/isn't an "anime thing" with broad strokes is silly to begin with.

FF9's execution, as it stands, is pretty heavily inspired by a lot of factors, but Blade Runner wouldn't be high on the list. It's got a fairly Japanese (note: Japanese is not another word for anime) attitude towards things which is missing from Blade Runner, while simultaneously being quite different thematically and in execution. FF9 came out in a time period where there was a very strong upswing in Japanese interest in robotics and artificial intelligence. (It was around the same time that you saw things like AIBO and ASIMO starting to get pushed.) The attitude around the subject at the time wasn't very Blade Runnerish. If it is at all similar to anime from the time period, it is because the cultural attitude was similar, not because FF9 was or wasn't anime inspired.

I mostly bring this up because, y'know, Japan isn't a giant anime factory. It's got culture and media outside of animated dudes hitting each other with swords. It's worth remembering that something can be influenced by Japanese culture without being anime-inspired. It isn't a case where it has to be anime or it isn't Japanese.

Edit: drat, that is a lot of words on wacky spikey-haired sword-hittin' video games. Sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 18, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

And the problem with arguing that something is an 'anime thing' is that there's very very little in the world that actually is exclusive to one culture. I can think of French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese and American stories which all cover the subject of "a doll with an existential crisis," with the primary differences being in execution, cultural context and general themes. It's not an "anime thing" but arguing that something is/isn't an "anime thing" with broad strokes is silly to begin with.

Italian too (Pinocchio)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

You would be pretty silly to argue that. Blade Runner is an excellent film but its longest-lasting contributions were visual. The concept of an artificial being vs a human was around long before Blade Runner, even if you're just referring to fully artificial robots. Asimov alone would be a much greater contributor, not to belittle Blade Runner.

FF9's execution, as it stands, is pretty heavily inspired by a lot of factors, but Blade Runner wouldn't be high on the list. It's got a fairly Japanese (note: Japanese is not another word for anime) attitude towards things which is missing from Blade Runner, while simultaneously being quite different thematically and in execution. FF9 came out in a time period where there was a very strong upswing in Japanese interest in robotics and artificial intelligence. (It was around the same time that you saw things like AIBO and ASIMO starting to get pushed.) The attitude around the subject at the time wasn't very Blade Runnerish. If it is at all similar to anime from the time period, it is because the cultural attitude was similar, not because FF9 was or wasn't anime inspired.

I mostly bring this up because, y'know, Japan isn't a giant anime factory. It's got culture and media outside of animated dudes hitting each other with swords. It's worth remembering that something can be influenced by Japanese culture without being anime-inspired. It isn't a case where it has to be anime or it isn't Japanese.

Edit: drat, that is a lot of words on wacky spikey-haired sword-hittin' video games. Sorry.
I believe that the artificiality of some of FFIX's characters draws more from Blade Runner because of both Vivi and Kuja's ties to a character like Roy Batty. Both of them, together, make up that character in a sense; Vivi is part of a production line of slaves who are used for menial labor and, eventually, weapons (Roy Batty and the Replicants are used for slave labor off-colony on Mars), whereas Kuja finds out his mortality and fights against it (Roy similarly discovers his own finite existence and realizes that he too will die like everything else, and goes insane). The atmosphere of Japan may not have been "Blade Runnerish", but I think those two characters are heavily influenced by the Replicants of Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? far more than something like Frankenstein or the Japanese interest in robotics.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's like watching a brick wall post sometimes I swear.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The atmosphere of Japan may not have been "Blade Runnerish", but I think those two characters are heavily influenced by the Replicants of Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? far more than something like Frankenstein or the Japanese interest in robotics.

I mean you put it right there even.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Do Genomes dream of Friendly Yan?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Do Genomes dream of Friendly Yan?

That would be loving scary, dude. You do not mess with the Friendly Yan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBcJf1BX7AI

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Blade Runner has a guy sleeping with a woman who looks like she's in her 20s but is actually only a few years old. How anime is that, on a scale of Fist of the North Star to Yu-Gi-Oh?

Ya'll are a bunch of nerds.

Is there any official word on Type-0 being released in the states? I thought it had vanished along with XIII Versus. How long has it been out in Japan?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jesus, I'm sorry I said anything.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Is there any official word on Type-0 being released in the states? I thought it had vanished along with XIII Versus. How long has it been out in Japan?

Type-0's been out in Japan for a year now. No word on whether it's coming over here. It's hard to believe it's not, but with this long without hearing a word about it it seems like it might not happen. I guess the Ultimania guide hinted that it's in the works, but again, it's weird that we haven't heard any official confirmation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's been said many a time before, but SE really poo poo the bed with the Fabula Nova XIII development.

FFXIII's development was - my opinion of the final product aside - an utter disgrace, where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and no direction whatsoever, until the last year or so.

Type 0/Agito was kept lingering in Japanese phone hell, until they decided to port it to the PSP, and then apparently neglected to give it to the rest of the world. They could have ported it to the vita, or gone the MGS Peacewalker route, and tarted it up a bit, and stuck it onto a console. But nope.

And Versus? *Pfft*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Seriously though, why do people have to 'prove' that their opinions are right? You like FF9. Coo'. You don't like SMT or Star Ocean or whatever. Aight. You don't need to make mass accusations of pedophilia to allow yourself to have that opinion.
Hey, Star Ocean 2 is a great game. It even gets a pass because barring the battles, which are just silly voice clips anyway, it's not a talkie and is only as awkward as you yourself frame it. The remake does not, because its voice acting turns scenes like Ashton getting "hey she's kinda hot" about Precis and the other party members jokingly giving him poo poo to him over it into this swoony, overacted creepmo crib-robber deal.

This garbagey American VA culture is probably not even related to anime, but more rooted in daytime soaps. The harder you overact, the more mature your performance is(n't).

Seriously though dogg I'm hatin' the game, not the playa, as it were. I'm not accusing folks who like their anime of being pedos, just the medium itself of hawking it. You're running the backwards of it and calling me out for callin' you a pedo when I'm really not.

As for the FF13 debacle, any video game that advertises itself as a huge undertaking spanning a decade should raise gigantic red flags. You'll either get the whole story (yeah, right), you'll get bits and pieces in little hopeful spurts as it's convenient for the developers to hand them out but probably never the whole thing (as we're seeing), or rebrand and recycle their reusables, cut their losses, fire their writers and directors, and consider it a learning experience (like they should've).

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 18, 2012

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently started playing FFIX again and thought "What would happen if I tried to play tetra master without 5 cards?" So first NPC I see I try, it was the nobleman in Alexandria and he said something like "You need 5 cards to play my boy!" I decided to try on another npc, and they said something completely different. I challenged every NPC in Alexandria and most have something unique to say if you don't have 5 cards.

I'm a huge flavor text person, and I'm considering going through the game without 5 cards and seeing what everyone says.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hah, now that is interesting. I love it when a game has so much minor dialogue hidden away that you'll only find in the most obscure of circumstances.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Final Fantasy IX is just full of surprises. What a great game. :allears:

I've been thinking of playing an older JRPG I've never played before. Maybe one that doesn't have random battles and instead has enemies appear on the screen. I can't remember if the Grandia series features that? It's definitely a series I've always wanted to play.

If not maybe you guys could recommend something else.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Final Fantasy IX is just full of surprises. What a great game. :allears:

I've been thinking of playing an older JRPG I've never played before. Maybe one that doesn't have random battles and instead has enemies appear on the screen. I can't remember if the Grandia series features that? It's definitely a series I've always wanted to play.

If not maybe you guys could recommend something else.

The Lunar games do that and there was just a rerelease of the first one on iOS a few weeks back. Beyond that, uh, I think Live-a-Live did that in some of the chapters? If you haven't played Live-a-Live, do that, it's kind of obscure but it's super fun. Chrono Trigger had visible monsters on the field too but there's no way in hell you haven't played that yet.

Don't remember if the Grandia games had visible monsters. Don't think so though. If you haven't played the first two games, you should do that. Grandia 3 you can skip if you'd like, it's really boring outside of combat.

e: Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 have visible monsters too but that's cheating :coal:

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 18, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Grandia 1 and 2 have monsters on the field. You can sneak up on them, or they can to you, or you can just avoid them.

Grandia 1 is pretty good, from what I recall, but Grandia 2 is definitely worth it, despite how easy it is, although, there is a hard patch. And there is tonnes of funny and world building NPC dialogue if you choose to seek it out. It's pretty neat.

There's also the Star Ocean series, which I personally don't like...he says having sunk over 100 hours into SO3 :negative:, which also has enemies on the field. Valkyrie Profile, also, I believe.

And while it has random encounters, the Shadow Hearts games. Pretty much some of my favourite RPGs.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 18, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to go for the oddball option. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. The music owns OK :colbert:

And it's kind of amazing in retrospect that the whole game is in 512k. :psyduck: That's only twice the ROM space of a Game Boy game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

And it's kind of amazing in retrospect that the whole game is in 512k. :psyduck: That's only twice the ROM space of a Game Boy game.

I have zero difficulty believing that.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Grandia 1 and 2 have monsters on the field. You can sneak up on them, or they can to you, or you can just avoid them.

Huh, don't remember that at all. It's been years, though. They were both really good games, though, definitely worth rolling through.

e:

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's also the Star Ocean series, which I personally don't like...

I will fight you to the death over SO2

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

I will fight you to the death over SO2

It would not matter. SO3 killed me. I am already dead :zombie:

Oh, Rogue Galaxy is another one, if you don't mind a few obnoxious characters, a terribly cliche plot and some questionable design choices. It's good to waste a few hours on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

It would not matter. SO3 killed me. I am already dead :zombie:

Oh, Rogue Galaxy is another one, if you don't mind a few obnoxious characters, a terribly cliche plot and some questionable design choices. It's good to waste a few hours on.
I liked the two goofy guys that went to get the protagonist at the start, the robot and the, what, mole guy? I have no idea why, but I liked them.

But yeah every other character in that game sucked. Except the guy who looked like Xiahou Dun from Dynasty Warriors, he was alright.