Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This looks awesome, and I laughed way more than I should have at the delivery of,"Never heard of him..... Smiley Cat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure how that guy can be Ratface, since Ratface is now soup.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I appreciate this game very much for exposing me to The Budos Band.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Did I somehow miss the new tactical pack when it came out, or did everyone else not notice? A SWAT outfit that gives 50 % damage reduction from bullets, and a grenade launcher/assault rifle added to all your hideouts! I only wish it were a holsterable weapon so I could choose whether to draw attention to myself. But hey, access to a gun whenever you want it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Motherfucker, after the latest patch today I can't play Sleeping Dogs at all. Steam says it's starting up and it fails. Tried verifying it twice and both times it attempts to start and nothing happens. No splash, no intro videos nothing

:argh:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Community Gift Pack and Valve T-Shirt Pack are now live for everyone who owns Sleeping Dogs. :allears:

Edit: On Steam, that is.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 17, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

real_scud posted:

Motherfucker, after the latest patch today I can't play Sleeping Dogs at all. Steam says it's starting up and it fails. Tried verifying it twice and both times it attempts to start and nothing happens. No splash, no intro videos nothing

:argh:

Bit of a shot in the dark, but try going to Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sleeping dogs and reinstall DirectX from in there.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Here are some screenshots of the Valve t-shirts:

Also, luchadore mask! (which has been in the game files since release :v:)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So I was just gifted this game and started it last night. I am very early in but yea I love it already :unsmith:

Parkingtigers posted:

It also helps to ignore the arrest part of the sequence until you next have a legit reason to visit a safehouse. The fighting part of the busts is fun, because well fighting. Hacking the cameras only takes a minute. Driving back to the safehouse is the chore part of the deal, so just forget that. You can queue up loads of cameras and do them en masse later. Set up a police XP bonus outfit in your wardrobe before you hit the TV too.

Thanks for this. Ive only done the first one so far but even then I was thinking this will be a pain in the rear end when I was driving back to the safehouse

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 17, 2012

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Saw this review of Sleeping Dogs on redbox.com:

She's an OC chick? I'm so shocked.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Facebook poll time! Vote on which minor DLC pack you'd like United Front to make!

Your choices are...

Sun Wukong Pack
- Sun Wukong Monkey King skin
- Unbreakable one-handed staff
- Increased melee damage buff
- Themed vehicle in your garage

Hong Kong Fire Fighter Pack
- Fire fighter’s outfit
- Unbreakable fire axe
- Increased damage resistance buff
- Fire van in your garage

Needless to say, the Sun Wukong pack is utterly pissing it in, because Monkey... is irrepressible!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Heh, 500 to 120 at the moment.

I mean Wei busting in heads with a fire axe sounds like someone that nut-case would do and sounds awesome but.... Monkey King!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I really wish there was a mod community for this game. Since inception http://sleepingdogsmods.com/ has only released a trainer and an xbox 360 gamepad mod.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I really wish they had actually made a complete game before going hog-wild with DLC, but there ya go.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I dunno, I felt like the game was pretty complete. What more did you want out of it?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I think the dates and such seemed unfinished, and the back third of the game goes by a little fast. I suspect that there is some stuff from those areas that ended up on the cutting room floor due to running out of time.

That said, I have to imagine that there was a lot of pressure to release when it did considering how long the game was in development. It doesn't seem worthwhile to use post-release development time to fill in small holes in the middle of the plot, so they're putting out DLC that will probably attract more people. I was satisfied with the base game enough that I don't consider this a problem. I wouldn't say the game is 'incomplete' by any means, myself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, the game doesn't feel quite as "solid" as it could, it feels like some stuff is missing and there's not quiiiite enough to do in the post-game, but I chalk most of that up to the lovely hand they've had with the development. The stuff that's there is great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I really hope they build off of Sleeping Dogs and make another game set in the same universe or at least in the same vein. I'd love to see everything expanded upon so that there's a Western equivalent to the Yakuza series.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Dan Sochan, United Front producer, said himself that the DLCs will present "all the amazing stuff we didn't have time to do." I hope they do well enough to really extend the game.

I do wonder what they left on the cutting floor, so to speak. Nightmare on North Point looks fun, but it's clearly not a part of the original story development.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Isn't all of the DLC so far just costumes and such? I doubt that's really anything that was meant to be part of the main game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Isn't all of the DLC so far just costumes and such? I doubt that's really anything that was meant to be part of the main game.

So far, sure, but that just allows them to release stuff that's easy to make to keep people interested while they keep working on the awesome stuff. So while you're busy checking out the luchadore mask, they're putting the final polish on Wei Shen: Zombie Hunter.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So beat the game. The outcome was fairly predictable but the acting and gameplay were pretty good despite that. Other than the little extras (like lockboxes and races), what else is there to do? One thing my game says in stats is that I'm 18/28 events or something which doesn't seem right unless there's story related events after the credits.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

So beat the game. The outcome was fairly predictable but the acting and gameplay were pretty good despite that. Other than the little extras (like lockboxes and races), what else is there to do? One thing my game says in stats is that I'm 18/28 events or something which doesn't seem right unless there's story related events after the credits.

There are little random quick sidequests, which are basically all people locked in trunks or kicking drunks out of shops. Nothing too meaty aside from the drug busts and whatever police missions you have left.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Caufman posted:

Dan Sochan, United Front producer, said himself that the DLCs will present "all the amazing stuff we didn't have time to do."
I assume that means more missions with Old Salty Crab!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Crappy Jack posted:

There are little random quick sidequests, which are basically all people locked in trunks or kicking drunks out of shops. Nothing too meaty aside from the drug busts and whatever police missions you have left.

Is it me or were there a few cameras to hack that did not have any drug busts associated with them? I thought that was weird.

edit: I was VERY underwhelmed with unlocking the Dim Mak.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

5er posted:

Is it me or were there a few cameras to hack that did not have any drug busts associated with them? I thought that was weird.

More than few, I'd say about half of them. As far as I can tell there's no reason for them other than as another collectible.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doggboat posted:

I assume that means more missions with Old Salty Crab!

I would pay good money for a DLC that replaces Wei with Crab. It would turn a great game into The Best Game.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

GoldenNugget posted:

Random events, also races, dates and rolands jobs count towards that total

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Bought this in the sale, is any of the DLC worthwhile?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Crashbee posted:

Bought this in the sale, is any of the DLC worthwhile?

The current ones available on steam are SR3-style DLCS (new clothes, extra points and relatively little new gameplay element). There are going to be new mission-based ones in the near future so wait for those.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nightmare in North Point trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lhobYQQbc

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The crappy video quality filter makes me happy, though I don't know if I'll want it in the game, but what make me way happier is I think I saw OLD SALTY CRAB in there! Oh and Not Ping is the one you're saving, I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Jackie why I thought we were bros. :saddowns:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you think this'd run on an hd4890 @ 1920x1200 and a i5 3570k @ 4.2?

I hear this game obliterates computers.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Yes! This is great, come on Halloween I want to punch some undead.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Jiāng shī confirmed *lil joyous fistpump*

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

I love DLC like this. Taking familiar characters and putting them into a crazy story like this is way more attractive to me than just a little more of the same.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ChetReckless posted:

I love DLC like this. Taking familiar characters and putting them into a crazy story like this is way more attractive to me than just a little more of the same.

Oh my god I just realized how much I want Raymond to show up in this DLC.

"Dammit Wei, you can't just go around hunting these demons down! We're zombie fighters, there are rules!"
"You're a zombie fighter! I'm the Chosen One! The rules are different!"

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Probably really well I dunno, I'm on a Geforce 560Ti @ 1920x1200, an i5 3470 running at stock speed and it ran obscenley well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I played the game at launch at 1080p on a 4890 with the sandy bridge version of your CPU and it was alright at mid-high detail with no AA. 20-30fps though turning stuff down would have helped. The combat is pretty good at magnetizing you to enemies so sub-60fps doesn't hurt things too much, but it is probably at the limit of what that card can do.

• Locked thread