Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata Asks: Wii U Volume 2: Gamepad! (click)

Is it unusual that the SDK was developed in America, albeit with tight cooperation with Nintendo Ltd.?

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
TVii, as well, was all developed in Utah I think. For an international corporation it isn't unusual at all. I work with the Korean branch of my company in development all the time. For Nintendo it's a little unusual.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Courtesy of IGN:

quote:

WB Interactive has announced that Scribblenauts Unlimited will include characters from Nintendo franchises. Players will be able to call upon “dozens” of characters and items from Mario and Zelda exclusively in the Wii U version of the game.

Characters revealed so far include Yoshi, Peach, Luigi, Mario, Link, Zelda, Epona and a Goron. WB notes that the Nintendo characters will not be able to be modified by adjectives, but players can summon items like karts, mushrooms and more for them to interact with.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Wow, people were right on about those guesses.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I love the Scribblenauts art style.

One step closer to the Paper Zelda dream.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Anyone heard anything about Best Buys getting Wii U display units this week?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Liam Acerbus posted:

First time I've heard of this and there are no rumblings on NeoGaf of people seeing the display in stores, though supposedly today is the day Best Buys are supposed to get them, so if they DO have them, don't expect to see the displays until tomorrow of Friday is my guess.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Is it unusual that the SDK was developed in America, albeit with tight cooperation with Nintendo Ltd.?

Not at all. Nintendo has become increasingly involved in getting development done in the US.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, does anyone know how it'll be with TVii outside of the States?
'Cause Netflix just opened up here in Scandinavia, so it's suddenly useful now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't think they even announced it for PAL. Might be an America-only thing, at least for a while.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Judging what the UK get on the Wii, I'd imagine iPlayer and Netflix will be available in some form at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't think they even announced it for PAL. Might be an America-only thing, at least for a while.

TVii wasn't even in the PAL stream when they announced it in the US equivalent.

Louisgod posted:

Wow, people were right on about those guesses.

I'm surprised too. I figured the Mario ones on the left were correct, but the Zelda ones, even Epona's head, was a genuine surprise.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 18, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

plasticbugs posted:

Newegg has a deal right now on game preorders: $12 off games priced $49.99 or above.

I just picked up Rayman Legends for $50 (including CA taxes). Might be worth checking out. Right now, that includes all the Wii-U titles they have listed and I hear that the discount works on the Pro Controller, too.

Promo code is: EMCJNJD242 - You can use it once per order. Shipping is free.

Just used this to get BLOPS 2 for 48 bucks. Sweet! Thank you man.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Liam Acerbus posted:

Not Best Buy, but I saw this at the local Gamestop today.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/tfujs4/zombiu-nycc-12--capture-the-flag-gameplay--cam-

ZombiU CTF Gameplay.

Why would they bother programming this and not make it online? I know I'm a broken record about this but I just don't get it.

Also: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7eoozg/the-wonderful-101-nycc-12--boss-fight-gameplay--cam- Wonderful 101

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/covvz0/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-nycc-12--wii-u-debut-gameplay--cam- MH3U. Seems to run at 60 fps. (warning: person playing is awful)

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 18, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, hope I can turn off that announcer's voice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nintendo's always focused on local multiplayer over online, that's all. Wonderful 101's looking to be quite good as well. I've enjoyed most of the other Platinum-made games, Vanquish especially, so it should be interesting to see what the full game looks like.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's always focused on local multiplayer over online, that's all. Wonderful 101's looking to be quite good as well. I've enjoyed most of the other Platinum-made games, Vanquish especially, so it should be interesting to see what the full game looks like.

But it's not Nintendo. It's Ubisoft. They are just lazy as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobnumerotres posted:

But it's not Nintendo. It's Ubisoft. They are just lazy as hell.

Not really. The only reason most companies do multiplayer is because they're built to a 'AAA-Checklist' of what's perceived will and won't make a game sell and multiplayer, online or off, is up near the top of the list. It's why it gets tacked onto a lot of games that never really needed it.

Besides, playing a zombie survival game on your own (preferably at night in a dark room) is all part of the fun.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 18, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. The only reason most companies do it is because they're built to a 'AAA-Checklist' of what's perceived will and won't make a game sell and online multiplayer is up near the top of the list. It's why it gets tacked onto a lot of games that never really needed it.

Besides, playing a zombie survival game on your own (preferably at night in a dark room) is all part of the fun.

If ANY game needed online multiplayer, it's ZombiU. Nintento's online for the past generation has been a joke. If anything, Nintendo should be pushing developers to put online in their game just to say "Hey, we're different now! We know you crazy Americans care about online! Here it is!".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If ANY game needed online multiplayer, it's ZombiU. Nintento's online for the past generation has been a joke. If anything, Nintendo should be pushing developers to put online in their game just to say "Hey, we're different now! We know you crazy Americans care about online! Here it is!".

That's pretty much what the ports of Call of Duty, Darksiders 2 and Batman: Arkham City are probably for. "Look kids, Nintendo is back and their new machine can actually do everything your Xbox can and more!"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ZombiU is single player focused and all but if you're going to have multiplayer already in the game, on a new console that boasts great online, what the hell?

The game even has online features already like the spray paint and player zombies visiting other worlds. Having co-op survival or vs. like in the multi shown in the vid online would've greatly extended replayability.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TaurusOxford posted:

Nintento's online for the past generation has been a joke.

Take that back! They've got wifi built in for games! Here, I'll give you my friend code and we can arrange in IRC to meet at a specific time. :v:

quote:

If anything, Nintendo should be pushing developers to put online in their game just to say "Hey, we're different now! We know you crazy Americans care about online! Here it is!".

Well, they're kind of doing that. Being left out in the big social games race is a bad thing. They're just not adding it to ZombiU. They're adding indirect, sort-of-anonymous Souls multiplayer but without the endless trolling. I'd buy the console because I'm a MH whore but I'm buying it on release because of this goddamn thread Zombie Souls. Even the Miiverse trailer, as cheesy as it was, invokes feelings of Dark Souls where everyone pooled information to beat the game.

Tacking on multiplayer so I can watch assclowns run into packs of zombies and die, causing them to immediately send me angry voicemail, is something I can live without.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Fact is, gamers today in the "mature" category are loving lemmings who ripped on Bioshock because it didn't have online multiplayer so now every game ever must have online multiplayer.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing or that Nintendo is being smart because the hesitance to online makes no sense seeing their history but not every game ever should have online multiplayer and sometimes we should just let the developers still be developers.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fact is, gamers today in the "mature" category are loving lemmings who ripped on Bioshock because it didn't have online multiplayer so now every game ever must have online multiplayer.

Yeah those people were ridiculous but Bioshock didn't have a local multiplayer mode. The argument isn't that every game made should be online its that if you're going to code this local multiplayer mode it'd be nice if you could do it online.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Can we at least stop calling game developers lazy? It's not just this thread, but it's not like there's a bunch of people sitting around in a studio throwing a ball back and forth going "Well we could put in an online mode, but you know I just can't be bothered."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

ZombiU is single player focused and all but if you're going to have multiplayer already in the game, on a new console that boasts great online, what the hell?

The game even has online features already like the spray paint and player zombies visiting other worlds. Having co-op survival or vs. like in the multi shown in the vid online would've greatly extended replayability.

It's more than likely a cost issue as implementing and maintaining an online infrastructure coupled with the other games Ubisoft is throwing out for launch (Just Dance 4, AC3, Rayman) means that they probably didn't have the budget for it. People can probably replace "lazy" with "too expensive".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Nintendo has admitted now FoxConn workers that were underage were building WiiU units.

I am not sure if that's a discussion for here or the political forum. I think it's terrible, personally but also understand this s directly FoxConn's fault, not Nintendo's. Nintendo bears some responsibility for using FoxConn where this is somewhat notorious, but at the same time is there any other facility on Earth that can mass produce the needed units in time? I just wonder what is an appropriate action Nintendo can take here? Probably half the luxury items I own are made at FoxConn and the same for lots of consumers, so I feel i have no moral authority to judge.

If this isn't the thread I'll discuss it elsewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

It's more than likely a cost issue as implementing and maintaining an online infrastructure coupled with the other games Ubisoft is throwing out for launch (Just Dance 4, AC3, Rayman) means that they probably didn't have the budget for it. People can probably replace "lazy" with "too expensive".

That and the deadline they probably have to meet on completing the game for bugtesting and shipping.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

So Nintendo has admitted now FoxConn workers that were underage were building WiiU units.

I am not sure if that's a discussion for here or the political forum. I think it's terrible, personally but also understand this s directly FoxConn's fault, not Nintendo's. Nintendo bears some responsibility for using FoxConn where this is somewhat notorious, but at the same time is there any other facility on Earth that can mass produce the needed units in time? I just wonder what is an appropriate action Nintendo can take here? Probably half the luxury items I own are made at FoxConn and the same for lots of consumers, so I feel i have no moral authority to judge.

If this isn't the thread I'll discuss it elsewhere.

I wish the world gave a gently caress about the decency of life, but it doesn't. On several levels. It's definitely "part of the problem" but I'm not going to stop buying the technology I want because I know what indecent measures were used to create it. I've known about the ethics of Coltan mining for years now but it doesn't stop me from buying electronics.

Do I wish Nintendo to be more ethical? Yes, gently caress yes. Unquestionably. But it's drat near loving impossible to live a life where everything you consume, wear and use was made ethically. Especially when some of that stuff was made unethically in my own country and I just don't know the specifics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Atomicated posted:

Yeah those people were ridiculous but Bioshock didn't have a local multiplayer mode. The argument isn't that every game made should be online its that if you're going to code this local multiplayer mode it'd be nice if you could do it online.

Maybe not every game should have a multiplayer mode?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

computer parts posted:

Maybe not every game should have a multiplayer mode?

I agree?

edit: I was trying to say that the complaints of ZombiU not having online multiplayer are less baseless than Bioshock but phrased it poorly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Atomicated posted:

While I don't disagree with you completely, I still feel it should be up to the developer on which games they want to be online or not. For example, the amount of people who complain that New Super Mario Brothers Wii U is not online. If Nintendo wants people to sit in the same room to play it, why should they be forced to make it online?

Online is the big selling point to North American gamers today but I still feel it should be up to the developer to decide. I can agree with, "It's a bad marketing decision not to include it" but not, "It should have online multiplayer." You're saying the former but I hear the latter more often.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

While I don't disagree with you completely, I still feel it should be up to the developer on which games they want to be online or not. For example, the amount of people who complain that New Super Mario Brothers Wii U is not online. If Nintendo wants people to sit in the same room to play it, why should they be forced to make it online?

Well generally it's a good idea to give consumers what they want.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

So Nintendo would sell 22 million instead of 21.5 million to add in an online component they really don't want to add?

Plus if the developer doesn't care to add it, it's going to suck. Better they design stuff they want to design.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

"Yes" is getting dangerously close to beating "Waluigi" and that's just bullshit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So Nintendo would sell 22 million instead of 21.5 million to add in an online component they really don't want to add?

Plus if the developer doesn't care to add it, it's going to suck. Better they design stuff they want to design.

That may be the sad reality of it, but the people who spend a lot of money on consoles and games would enjoy online Mario very much. And if the company wants to add something it's the developer's job to care and provide a quality product.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

greatn posted:

Unfortunately what consumers want and what's best for business often don't coincide. A prime example of this is region locking.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Region locking is really weird too, because I really can't figure out how imports are cutting into their bottom line. It isn't an issue that affects me though so my opinion just isn't that strong either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
They can charge a lot more in Europe than in the USA. My local game shop often had the US versions of DS games in stock rather than the UK versions.

• Locked thread