Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
LTE in Chicago is getting pretty drat good, and quick too. Just a few weeks ago I could barely hold a call, now I have pretty consistent LTE everywhere I go in the suburbs and the city looks pretty good from the S4GRU maps too.

So yes, LTE is real, and it's coming, and it is glorious.

Speeds aren't great however, I average between 3mbps-8mbps though I sound like a smug rear end in a top hat saying that when my 3G speeds were sub 100kbps just weeks/months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Yeah, my data signal in Chicago is still lovely everywhere, or at least everywhere around me (I'm in Wicker Park). I have a 4S and I was in NYC last week and it was amazing having a signal everywhere I went and being able to use my phone like I always see other happy people doing.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

helsabot posted:

Yeah, my data signal in Chicago is still lovely everywhere, or at least everywhere around me (I'm in Wicker Park). I have a 4S and I was in NYC last week and it was amazing having a signal everywhere I went and being able to use my phone like I always see other happy people doing.

It remains extremely frustrating because you can travel two blocks down the road and handoff from an NV tower to an old tower with T1 for a data line and drop down to sub dial up speeds. As happy as I am to see LTE getting deployed, I still can't do something as simple as stream Pandora on my car ride home.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

Tethering the Galaxy Nexus
I found some good info, it looks like if you use USB or Bluetooth tethering it just works, root or not. If you want to use Wifi tethering, foxfi works if you're nonrooted (or rooted?), and "WiFi Tether for Root Users" works if you're rooted. I used Wifi Tether since a friend of mine does, I had to set "Routing Fix" to on and that's all I needed to get it up and running (I also enabled security).

For what it's worth I get an LTE signal at my new apartment, I get 4.6 down and 8.8 up. For the Dallas goons, I think I have line of sight to the tower near Plano Parkway and Independence. A far cry from the nearly 20mbps speeds I got when LTE just went up, but I'll take it. I'm more psyched that I get an LTE signal in the garage, it's weaker but definitely serviceable (2.7/6.8).

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!

bobula posted:

Do we have a launch date for LTE in Los Angeles yet? And how do you turn it on on your phone once it's up? My sister has an iPhone 5 and is really hoping it's soon cause 3G sucks in Hollywood.

LTE is up and running in a lot of Hollywood. I did a speedtest and hit 20 mbps around Hollywood/Highland. Sadly I only get 3g in my apartment. :( So it's still spotty, granted reception in my apartment has always been spotty, but when you get LTE it's a really nice experience.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I'm not sure if this is a Sprint issue or an Apple issue, but I'll crosspost it in both threads.

What's going on with Sprint and iPhone 5 replacement phones? It's a big issue over on the Sprint support message boards and I'm having it as well. I bought an iPhone 5 from a Sprint Store and then it cracked so I went to Apple and got a replacement. I've been having data connectivity issues ever since. It will stay on 3G for a little while, but cycle off it and go down to the circle before kicking back up after a minute. The phone becomes useless and I can't access data on it. It's extremely frustrating when my roommates who also have iPhone 5's on Sprint are sitting pretty with perfect connections.

So, I went to the Apple Store today and the Genius told me they received an e-mail specifically regarding replacements and Sprint customers and it's a known issue that I have to escalate to the Sprint Senior Technicians who would be able to help me out on it. It has to do with how Apple is activating the phones or something. He restored my phone through iTunes though and sent me on my way, so I went over to my Sprint Store and the guy there just stared at me blankly and told me they couldn't help me with anything.

I still have the issue so I'm not even sure anymore what I should do to fix this issue. Poking around the Sprint forums, it seems the official Sprint solution is to restore the phone and then leave it off for 30 minutes before turning it on to run it through the activation process. But I wanted to check and see if maybe someone else here had a clue about it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Entire Universe posted:

I heard today that one of the conditions of the purchase is that Sprint finish buying out Clearwire (for spectrum undoubtedly) so I assume we'll see movement towards that soon.
According to the press release that didn't become a condition after all:

quote:

The transaction does not require Sprint to take any actions involving Clearwire Corporation other than those set forth in agreements Sprint has previously entered into with Clearwire and certain of its shareholders.
But it wouldn't surprise me if this led to them buying the rest of Clearwire anyway.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here
I'm planning on using my upgrade next week to replace my old Samsung Moment. I'm deciding between the Galaxy Nexus, and the Galaxy S3. Any reason I should choose the Nexus over the S3 besides having Jelly Bean available, or should sit on the upgrade and see if Sprint announces any new phones in the next month?

Soda Addict fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 17, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chazburgr posted:

What's going on with Sprint and iPhone 5 replacement phones?
I don't know about replacements specifically, but there was an iPhone 5 provisioning issue.

The solution we were told was back up the phone, do the "erase all settings and content" wipe, and run through the setup again and restore.

It's worked on the couple of "can not activate cellular data connection" iPhones that I've encountered, so it might be worth a shot. Your phone may have tried to provision while it was broken.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Soda Addict posted:

I'm planning on using my upgrade next week to replace my old Samsung Moment. I'm deciding between the Galaxy Nexus, and the Galaxy S3. Any reason I should choose the Nexus over the S3 besides having Jelly Bean available, or should sit on the upgrade and see if Sprint announces any new phones in the next month?

I think the S3 JB update should be coming soon, regardless.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Soda Addict posted:

The LG Nexus announcement should be coming, but who knows when it will get to Sprint? I guess you're not interested in the Note II, which is coming October 25?

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
The Optimus G is coming out on Nov 11th on Sprint. The LG Nexus reveal is supposed to be at the end of October, but if Sprint isn't getting it this year I'm definitely picking up the Optimus. Display quality is super important to me and camera isn't, so YMMV.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Grumpwagon posted:

Hesse hasn't been horrible has he? Their customer service has gone from trainwreck to consistently number 1 among wireless carriers (not a high bar to cross, but still). WiMAX was a clusterfuck, but it was a gamble to be first to 4g. Network Vision is a good strategy, just expensive.

I'd be interested to hear from employees/people who are more in the know than I am, but I feel like he's been ok in a bad situation.

I went up to Sprint's corporate building in Irving and everyone there loves Hesse. He owns. Hope this Softbank purchase works for Sprint.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Manic Shampoo posted:

LTE is up and running in a lot of Hollywood. I did a speedtest and hit 20 mbps around Hollywood/Highland. Sadly I only get 3g in my apartment. :( So it's still spotty, granted reception in my apartment has always been spotty, but when you get LTE it's a really nice experience.

It actually seems like there may be something wrong with her iphone, anyway. Constantly loses data signal and requires a reboot to use data, misses calls, fails to send texts, etc. I've tried troubleshooting it but it doesn't seem as easy to do as with an Android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aphal posted:

The Optimus G is coming out on Nov 11th on Sprint. The LG Nexus reveal is supposed to be at the end of October, but if Sprint isn't getting it this year I'm definitely picking up the Optimus. Display quality is super important to me and camera isn't, so YMMV.

I wouldn't buy any LG phone for the record.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes I was shocked that they went with a LG Nexus. If some of the leaked reviews turn out to be half true it is going to be disaster.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

nate fisher posted:

Yes I was shocked that they went with a LG Nexus. If some of the leaked reviews turn out to be half true it is going to be disaster.

I would not put much stock in the leaked reviews since it's Beta hardware and software.

But keep in mind that before the Samsung Nexus phones came out, they had a really lovely rep too, and now everyone waits a Galaxy S III. Maybe LG can pull a similar turn around.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lowen SoDium posted:

I would not put much stock in the leaked reviews since it's Beta hardware and software.

But keep in mind that before the Samsung Nexus phones came out, they had a really lovely rep too, and now everyone waits a Galaxy S III. Maybe LG can pull a similar turn around.

Correct, and Samsung did show some progress with the SGII, and even better was the Samsung Nexus 4S. So anything is possible, but LG is a bigger longshot than Samsung. What do I know I'm out of the Android game now, but I am just surprised it was LG.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

bobula posted:

It actually seems like there may be something wrong with her iphone, anyway. Constantly loses data signal and requires a reboot to use data, misses calls, fails to send texts, etc. I've tried troubleshooting it but it doesn't seem as easy to do as with an Android phone.

Supposedly there was a provisioning error on Sprint's side. They have an iPhone department, you can give them a call and ask to be transferred. I've also heard a complete restore fixes it because it reactivates but I don't know if that's true. Just make sure iCloud backup is turned on and completes a backup before you do that.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here
It looks like the Galaxy Note's going to be around $300, which is above my spending limit, and I'm not really in the mood to try a phone that may or may not be that great and possibly might have limited community support in the Optimus G. So I guess that leaves me the Galaxy S3. Thanks for reassuring me!

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

bobula posted:

I don't know if it would help or not, but maybe try a network update if you havent?

quote:

To perform Network Update:

Tap Phone.
Tap Key Pad if necessary.
Enter ##873283# then tap Dial.
Starting Service Update Screen appears, tap OK.
When Service Update is complete, tap OK.
The Radio will reset, and when Sprint is displayed, the phone update has completed.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Ender.uNF posted:

Supposedly there was a provisioning error on Sprint's side. They have an iPhone department, you can give them a call and ask to be transferred. I've also heard a complete restore fixes it because it reactivates but I don't know if that's true. Just make sure iCloud backup is turned on and completes a backup before you do that.

Is this the case if she's not getting the popup no cell network or whatever it is that other people are getting? Data simply doesn't work 80% of the time, just doesn't go anywhere. I know she's done a complete restore at least once. And yes, I updated the prl/profile/whatever that sequence of numbers up there does.

I'm telling her to call Sprint again, maybe she can get it straightened out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love you. gently caress the E3D's development "community", it is the most insular circlejerk I think I've ever seen in the smartphone world. I will be so loving happy if CM10 ever works. I'd argue that autofocus doesn't really work well on the phone stock, either.

How's A2DP and GPS?

Quoting myself on this - using Disarmed Toaster CM10 on my Evo 3D, with the Anthrax kernel (the ones that the shitlords at XDA keep calling the "other" kernel because according to them, Chad Goodman is equal to Hitler). Autofocus actually works fine, and I swear the pics from the CM10 camera app are noticeably better than the ones taken with the CleanROM camera app. Maybe I'm crazy. GPS works fine, and A2DP works alright, but both at the same time seems to be causing problems. I reloaded the kernel with higher minimum CPU speeds and haven't tried it again yet.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Soda Addict posted:

You poor, poor bastard, I can't imagine still being stuck on the Moment. Coming from that you should be happy with either phone. I'd probably get the S3 or Note II personally.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

datajosh posted:

You poor, poor bastard, I can't imagine still being stuck on the Moment. Coming from that you should be happy with either phone. I'd probably get the S3 or Note II personally.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I haven't gone insane with the moment. I was able to find a solid working rom of 2.2 last year to hold me over till I was eligible for my upgrade. Never again am I buying a mid-range android phone though, almost swore off Samsung as well if it wasn't for the universal praise that the Galaxy S3's getting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Quoting myself on this - using Disarmed Toaster CM10 on my Evo 3D, with the Anthrax kernel (the ones that the shitlords at XDA keep calling the "other" kernel because according to them, Chad Goodman is equal to Hitler). Autofocus actually works fine, and I swear the pics from the CM10 camera app are noticeably better than the ones taken with the CleanROM camera app. Maybe I'm crazy. GPS works fine, and A2DP works alright, but both at the same time seems to be causing problems. I reloaded the kernel with higher minimum CPU speeds and haven't tried it again yet.

That's pretty good to know, I may end up testing this as well. I have MeanROM installed, so this shouldn't be a big deal - CM10 comes with anthrax kernel as an option, I take it, or do you have to get that separately?

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

Soda Addict posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how I haven't gone insane with the moment. I was able to find a solid working rom of 2.2 last year to hold me over till I was eligible for my upgrade. Never again am I buying a mid-range android phone though, almost swore off Samsung as well if it wasn't for the universal praise that the Galaxy S3's getting.
Former moment owner here. I ignored the S3 praise and am still in on a lifetime Samsung boycott. On their non-phone stuff, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

That's pretty good to know, I may end up testing this as well. I have MeanROM installed, so this shouldn't be a big deal - CM10 comes with anthrax kernel as an option, I take it, or do you have to get that separately?

You have to get it separately from the anthrax-kernels.us forum, which requires that you register AND be manually approved in order to download it. loving E3D "community". :argh:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Duckman, is Sprint aware of the LTE connectivity issues with the EVO LTE, or do you see a lot of issues from customers regarding this? I feel like Sprint and HTC are going to continue brushing this issue aside and the small number of EVO LTE owners won't be big enough to press them to do something.

I live right next to a goddamn NV completed tower but I can't get the phone to see 4G unless I do the airplane mode switch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Duckman, is Sprint aware of the LTE connectivity issues with the EVO LTE, or do you see a lot of issues from customers regarding this? I feel like Sprint and HTC are going to continue brushing this issue aside and the small number of EVO LTE owners won't be big enough to press them to do something.

I live right next to a goddamn NV completed tower but I can't get the phone to see 4G unless I do the airplane mode switch.

Sprint has LTE?

Honestly, I have no idea, because I don't have LTE in my area and as such don't have to deal with this issue. Usually with an issue like that they become aware of it quickly, don't say anything whatsoever, quietly work on fixing it and then one day your phone gets a software update that fixes the issue.

Enough people bought the LTE that it would be on the radar, the nexus is the phone that never sells. That being said, it is correct that Samsung wiped HTC all over the floor sales wise.

I'll look tomorrow if I get a chance. My work is very drama filled at the moment, so I may be too busy.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has LTE?

Being in a launch area, I forget sometimes just how small the rollout is at this point.

Basically, the EVO LTE has problems switching to the LTE signal unless the signal is super strong. Once it grabs the LTE signal, it holds it pretty well, but once it's gone the only way to get it back (besides getting really close to a tower and hoping the phone decides it wants to switch to LTE on its own) is to flip airplane mode on and off and it will pick up the LTE signal. For example, there is an NV tower less than a half mile from my house but it won't pick up the LTE signal until I flip airplane mode. Once it grabs the 4G signal, I can drive a mile down the road or more and hold on to it, but as soon as it's gone, I can drive all the way back to my house and be on 3G the whole time.

Between S4GRU and the xda forums, this seems to be a pretty widespread problem, with the impact only lessened due to the small number of EVO owners, and even smaller number of EVO owners in an LTE rollout area.

It's really frustrating because I can be driving all over the suburbs where both S4GRU and Sensorly confirm there is LTE coverage, but the phone won't pick up the LTE signal at all. It's even more pronounced when you're with a buddy that has a different phone. A coworker of mine has a Sprint Galaxy S3 and she is almost always on LTE while I'm on 3G even though we're in the same areas (until I do an airplane mode switch).

Most people theorize it's an issue with either the radio threshold limits, the LTE search intervals, or something else radio related. It seems to be a problem regardless of whether the phone is rooted or not, or the rom the phone is running.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1644-evo-lte-4g-connection-issues-contact-sprint/

The Shep fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2012

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I think this is answered somewhere in the 300+ pages of this thread but basically my sister has the EVO 4G and she is having the known issue where you have to hold the charging cable plugged in at just the right angle for it to take a charge. I remember reading on here that it was covered but she went to a Sprint store and they gave her the number to get it replaced under the insurance by paying the deductible. That does not sound right, she pays for TEP that should cover something like this. Can anyone give me some insight on if this should be covered and if it is, how we can she get a repair center to fix it or replace her phone?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hows the battery life on Anthrax? Can you throw it on dropbox or something? I'd rather not have to register for another retarded forum because of their insane drama.

Also, it doesn't stop there. Goodman's lackeys on xda keep reporting the CDMA builds of agrabrens CM10 for GPL violations, so the thread got locked permanently. Hence the "Discussion" thread in the general Evo 3D subforum instead of a real thread in the dev one. They're all a bunch of immature babies.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 18, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Goodman's lackeys on xda keep reporting the CDMA builds of agrabrens CM10 for GPL violations, so the thread got locked permanently. Hence the "Discussion" thread in the general Evo 3D subforum instead of a real thread in the dev one.
I was going to say something like "how hard is it to lob your kernel sources on GitHub or something" but then I checked out the aforementioned discussion thread and, well, I'm very :psyduck:.

I mean, why is 3/4ths of the OP pseudo-legalese definitions which doesn't actually say anything at all? I don't think I want to know the rest.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Soda Addict posted:

Wow, I am honestly impressed you lasted that long. I had a Moment years ago and it drove me absolutely crazy. Particularly those damned radio lockup issues and the GPS that failed to get a lock even with a clear open view of the sky that plagued me through several replacements before the Evo 4G eventually came out and I opened up a new line of service just to get that so I could get away from the Moment. Haha.

I swore off Samsung after that for a long while but I have a GS3 now and it's quite amazing. I think their partnership with Google really helped them out, because they seemed to figure out how to make a phone that works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Ali posted:

I think this is answered somewhere in the 300+ pages of this thread but basically my sister has the EVO 4G and she is having the known issue where you have to hold the charging cable plugged in at just the right angle for it to take a charge. I remember reading on here that it was covered but she went to a Sprint store and they gave her the number to get it replaced under the insurance by paying the deductible. That does not sound right, she pays for TEP that should cover something like this. Can anyone give me some insight on if this should be covered and if it is, how we can she get a repair center to fix it or replace her phone?

Yeah, my friend actually got screwed on that. Take it to another store, some techs wont replace it if they think it is physical damage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Hows the battery life on Anthrax? Can you throw it on dropbox or something? I'd rather not have to register for another retarded forum because of their insane drama.

Also, it doesn't stop there. Goodman's lackeys on xda keep reporting the CDMA builds of agrabrens CM10 for GPL violations, so the thread got locked permanently. Hence the "Discussion" thread in the general Evo 3D subforum instead of a real thread in the dev one. They're all a bunch of immature babies.

Seems to be not significantly different in battery life than it was with CleanROM; I can leave it unplugged overnight and still have somewhere between 15 and 30 percent battery life when I pop it in the car dock on the way to work. I leave it charging pretty much all day at work and on the way home, but rarely plug it in after I get home.

Posting it here could arguably be considered :filez: so for the time being if I were you, just register for their lovely forum.

Oh, and upping the minimum clock to the maximum value allowed in the installer (4xx Mhz I think)? completely solved my A2DP being lovely when using Waze or Google Maps. Honestly, I am not seeing any actual problems with Disarmed .22 and Anthrax 3.5.1, aside from lack of WiMa-hahahaha who gives a gently caress about wimax.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

chazburgr posted:

What's going on with Sprint and iPhone 5 replacement phones? It's a big issue over on the Sprint support message boards and I'm having it as well. I bought an iPhone 5 from a Sprint Store and then it cracked so I went to Apple and got a replacement. I've been having data connectivity issues ever since. It will stay on 3G for a little while, but cycle off it and go down to the circle before kicking back up after a minute. The phone becomes useless and I can't access data on it. It's extremely frustrating when my roommates who also have iPhone 5's on Sprint are sitting pretty with perfect connections.

My sister was having intermittent data issues, but it was still working, so I told her to do that restore and leave off for thirty minutes thing. Big mistake, cause now it's actually having that problem with "cannot activate on cellular data network" thing and has zero data. I've gone through three people at Sprint and they couldn't figure it out, having me reset network settings and try (it won't) to update the prl/profile over and over again. One of them finally set up an appointment at the apple store for her to go take it in to get checked out, but due to the fact that resetting completely hosed it I can only conclude that it's completely an authentication issue and there's nothing wrong hardware-wise. Now she's screwed as far as work goes since she's a PA and uses her phone all the time for directions and looking poo poo up. I wish someone could figure out a sure fix!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sprint Nextel assumes majority stake in Clearwire

quote:

(Reuters) - Wireless carrier Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N) has acquired a majority interest in Clearwire Corp (CLWR.O) by buying a stake from the company's founder, after a dispute with other investors scuttled a similar attempt to take control last week.

Clearwire shares fell more than 6 percent in early trading, as the new arrangement appears to have dashed hopes that Sprint would buy the company outright.

Sprint reached the deal with Eagle River Holdings on Wednesday and now controls a 50.8 percent stake in Clearwire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I think their partnership with Google really helped them out, because they seemed to figure out how to make a phone that works.
No. No no, didn't help at all. You'd think it would've but the SGS2 series is seriously hosed.

The reason the SGS3 works is because it's a Qualcomm device that Samsung was largely hands-off with. That's why we simply can't say the same thing about the Note 2, for example.