Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

veedubfreak posted:

This thread makes me happy the only time I ever owned a Honda was in high school and was able to get rid of it after only 2 years. My god that car was a huge pile of poo poo. 85 Accord, the air conditioner blew up 3 days after I bought it. The brakes sucked rear end, it was made out of tin foil. Slow as poo poo too.

The 85 accord was a great car, and a fantastic looker :colbert:

http://tlaphotography.net/2012/05/15/classy-85-accord/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I ain't gonna lie, that is pretty loving classy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I like 80s Hondas about 15x better than anything they make now. I haven't liked a Honda since around the time the Prelude disappeared.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rscott posted:

I don't have a picture but yesterday I saw an Accord sedan with a vinyl top. :911:

(That particular style isn't popular anywhere else right?)

Was it this one?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Right up there with the Camry Solara. :patriot:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

Thank god VW's don't have any reliability problems like that cheap rear end Honda poo poo.

I said nothing about reliability. It was just slow, couldn't stop for poo poo, dented too easily and had no A/C.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Steve French posted:

Was it this one?

Yup, just blue instead of white with a darker blue cover.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

veedubfreak posted:

I said nothing about reliability. It was just slow, couldn't stop for poo poo, dented too easily and had no A/C.

Well it's not a problem anymore when transitioning into the greener pastures of VW ownership. Count yourself lucky!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

Well it's not a problem anymore when transitioning into the greener pastures of VW ownership. Count yourself lucky!

I've had a VW of some sort for the past 18 out of 20 years, and was only stranded twice, both of which were by my old ACVW bug. Once due to a bent axle that stripped the drum, and another due to a short in the coil wire. So nyah. Most VW problems are caused by stupid people who think you can drive 50k without changing the oil or doing anything to the car.

Of course now that I have said this, my TDI will poo poo out the fuel pump on the way home.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I drove my friend's Accord of similar vintage with about 260,000 miles and it was great and had a super smooth shifting auto. I was very surprised.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

Q_res posted:

The 1994 Accord has been the most stolen car in America for something like 5 years running. If I owned one I'd probably have the Club, a kill switch and an alarm on it.

A friend of mine bought a 94' accord last year for a beater this 245,000mile $400 special came complete with a :krad: ebay catback, fart can, cracking header, and the rear quarters poorly filled with body filler.

We have always joked about it getting stolen. Then it actually happened... sort of. He was at work had to go run a order of car parts out to a customer, saw his car missing in the parking lot, thought it was odd then when he got back saw it in the shop on the lift. Turns out someone brought in their 2000 Civic for overheating, and someone pulled his in instead with the Civic's key, then they could not figure out why a Civic radiator hose would not fit till he went out in the shop and asked them what they were doing to his car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrPain posted:

Right up there with the Camry Solara. :patriot:

I had a middle aged coworker whose absolute dream car was a Solara, and he aspired to own one one day so he could know that he had made it and could retire comfortably.

He owned a Camry at the time. I'm still not sure if he just mixed it up with another car or not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Edit for explanation:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD
918 AM CDT THU OCT 18 2012

...VERY STRONG WINDS TODAY...

.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE TO SPIN OVER THE
MINNESOTA AND WISCONSIN REGION THROUGH THE DAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL
CONTINUE TO BRING VERY STRONG WINDS TO THE AREA...ESPECIALLY
ACROSS CENTRAL SOUTH DAKOTA WHERE WIND GUSTS WILL LIKELY EXCEED
60 OR EVEN 70 MPH.

Or they're just napping. Your choice.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kansas? I swear sometimes when I drive through there I'm afraid to pass because I can just see the wind blowing a truck over on me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Cow tipping? Son, let me tell you how real men do things..." :clint:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I can confirm that it looks like the loving Dust Bowl down here in Wichita

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Kansas? I swear sometimes when I drive through there I'm afraid to pass because I can just see the wind blowing a truck over on me.

South Dakota.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is a poster image for "Don't text and drive."

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

From the town of Moorhead, Minnesota.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had a middle aged coworker whose absolute dream car was a Solara, and he aspired to own one one day so he could know that he had made it and could retire comfortably.

He owned a Camry at the time. I'm still not sure if he just mixed it up with another car or not.

My old boss got one to replace his MINI. The interiors are actually pretty nice and with the V6 they are pretty fast too, also its only competition was the Sebring cab.

Of course now that the Chrysler 200 has an updated interior and the new super V6 I kind of want one, cheap and endless torque steer amusement wheee! :roflolmao:

quote:

Honda Accord poo poo

The 1990s was around the time when the Accord (production now in Ohio) actually became the best selling car in America, presumably because after cross shopping with the contemporary Ford Tempo or Chevy Corsica your average car buyer said "Welp, wrap in up America" and started learning Japanese too. IAll the domestic makers basically gave up on cars entirely and just stuck to BOF trucks and SUVs for the next 20 years. t's the "most stolen" because everything else from that era has already been sent to the crusher 10 years ago.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Jork Juggler posted:

From the town of Moorhead, Minnesota.

Wow, never thought I'd see someone on the boards from Moorhead. Having lived in Fargo, I thought unless you were going to MSUM, it was a social stigma to admit to actually living there.

Anyways, here's something a friend of mine from Fingal, ND shared:

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

YF19pilot posted:

I'm reminded of that goon that got a white limo that was totally trashed on the inside. Wish I knew what happened to that.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Saw three of these at different times in different places today but didn't snap photos while driving.

What really sucks is getting the common top-down honk and thumbs up from them.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

YF19pilot posted:

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.

Add Hummer H1 to that list, ford truck key with 4 bits on the blade. Just get the big ford truck ring out from the locksmith and a few minutes...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

Isn't it tied into some stupid Aussie rule about percentage increase in tyre size? Paging Ferremit...

Yeah, theres a fair few rules around, retardedly they are ALL loving different depending on state (tho they are trying to fix that now)

Queensland is draconian- Cant have any tyre thats more than 15mm bigger in diameter to the stock ones, cant lift it more than 2" (thats suspension AND bodylift combined!) So even with the tiny tyres that wouldnt fail inspection or rego because of the 6" lift.

In places like NSW, you could get much bigger mods engineered in to pass inspection and rego- if you could prove that your 6" lifted 35" tyred 80 series could brake as well as the factory setup at full GVM and could do the lane change test without falling over or making the engineer doing the test poo poo himself, then you could get it engineered. Its been clamped down on big time recently, but previously you could get away with poo poo like this

44" tyres, 100mm suspension lift, 100mm body lift and the rear axle moved 150mm rearwards.

The new rules are a bit more sane- 50mm increase in tyre size, 2" body lift + 2" suspension lift, but its pretty much meant the end of landcruisers and patrols running around with half arsed 6" lifts and 37" tyres.

Although there is someown in Perth whos in the process of engineering a 200 series landcruiser with 35" tyres as the new rules are still being ironed out and arent law yet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably not. Almost every early 90s Honda can be unlocked with another early 90s Honda key assuming the lock has gotten worn out enough. The hood cables are also reportedly pretty easy to open.

The key to my 96 Civic worked fine on my then-roommate's 90 Integra. Not just the doors, also the ignition and hatch.

Then when I wound up with a 91 Integra, his key worked on mine.. but not vice versa. :iiam:

The hood cable on about every 80s/90s Honda can be accessed by pulling the wheel liner down on the driver's side. I know way, way back in the day, on G2IC (Gen 2 Integra Club), a very common mod was to re-route the hood release cable into the engine bay. They were incredibly easy to get into once the window regulators were a bit worn though, thanks to the frameless windows.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

:aaaaa:

I always liked the 2nd gen Accord for some reason, but I've never, ever seen one in that kind of shape. Even in the early 90s when I first started paying attention to cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

YF19pilot posted:

I think it may actually be smarter than it looks.

American-style stretch limos generally have V8s with decent amounts of torque and the long wheelbase would make it really stable when pulling a trailer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Limos are generally whatever engine came in that car before it went through the limo conversion. The engine is usually untouched, aside from extending the fuel lines and exhaust.

For a Lincoln Town Car conversion (like that in the picture), it's either the 5.0 V8 or 4.6 V8, depending on the year. In a Mustang, they have a bit more power, and Mustangs are also a lot lighter. The version that went into the Panther platform (Town Car, Crown Victoria, etc) is detuned significantly, and that's a very heavy car to begin with.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

Limos are generally whatever engine came in that car before it went through the limo conversion. The engine is usually untouched, aside from extending the fuel lines and exhaust.

For a Lincoln Town Car conversion (like that in the picture), it's either the 5.0 V8 or 4.6 V8, depending on the year. In a Mustang, they have a bit more power, and Mustangs are also a lot lighter. The version that went into the Panther platform (Town Car, Crown Victoria, etc) is detuned significantly, and that's a very heavy car to begin with.

That's still about 190-210hp and 270+ lb-ft. Even with the relatively heavy limo body to lug around, that's a decent amount of torque, especially with a torque converter automatic behind it.

I drove around trailers weighing upwards of a ton with my old 75hp Corolla, which was certified for trailers weighing that much as long as they had brakes. A town car limo should have no problem pulling most things you'd conceivably hook up behind it, even a decently-sized two-horse box.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 19, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

A town car limo should have no problem pulling most things you'd conceivably hook up behind it, even a decently-sized two-horse box.

My 2-horse tag along with two decent sized horse in it used to sag the hell out of the suspension on my (admittedly 4x4 ORP F150) pickup. You definitely need to add bags to the rear springs to tow something like that with a car. Of course, that's exactly what most people used to do in the US before SUV mania.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

veedubfreak posted:

And the high theft. They are still made out of tin foil even today. Look at a honda wrong and it dents.

You don't even have to look at VW parts for them to break!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Friend found this Craigslist gem: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3347912835.html

Some highlights:

- Custom molded factory Eclipse front bumper
- BMW M3 headlights
- Vette tail lights
- RHD conversion
- "No name" exhaust
- "Custom roadster package (no roof, not convertible)"

vvvvvv done :v:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 19, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

LiquidRain posted:

Friend found this Craigslist gem: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3347912835.html

Some highlights:

- Custom molded factory Eclipse front bumper
- BMW M3 headlights
- Vette tail lights
- RHD conversion
- "No name" exhaust

You forgot to post the convertible conversion image.

Man, it's like that episode of the Simpsons where Marge modifies that dress like 20 times.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

YF19pilot posted:

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.

I think it's always been a bit more than that, but with worn keys and locks the number gets a lot lower. And it wasn't just trucks -- one time in the mid-'90s my extended family went to the lake in my grandparents' '82 E150 with a family friend who had several '60s Mustangs (he bought a couple to restore and a couple of parts cars before they got super-popular). My uncle dropped the keys to the van in the lake, and the spare set was at home. Our friend happened to have his main keyring in his car, and one of the Mustang keys worked in the van and got us home.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

My 2-horse tag along with two decent sized horse in it used to sag the hell out of the suspension on my (admittedly 4x4 ORP F150) pickup. You definitely need to add bags to the rear springs to tow something like that with a car. Of course, that's exactly what most people used to do in the US before SUV mania.
Or a supermini...

Admittedly I imagine a Campervan is a more compliant load than a horse!
(Stolen from Kevbarlas's thread)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

But look at that trailer.....it's designed and loaded for low tongue weight. That's not what a tag along horse trailer looks like, at least the typical ones I've owned and seen in the US.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

But look at that trailer.....it's designed and loaded for low tongue weight. That's not what a tag along horse trailer looks like, at least the typical ones I've owned and seen in the US.

I was joking mostly :) That set up is a pretty lethal combination and I've got no idea how he didn't get pulled over. Googled US horse trailers, surprised they are so nose heavy, is there a reason for making them like that?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

stump posted:

I was joking mostly :) That set up is a pretty lethal combination and I've got no idea how he didn't get pulled over. Googled US horse trailers, surprised they are so nose heavy, is there a reason for making them like that?

Towing in the US is done almost exclusively with pickups capable of towing huge tongue weights and huge amounts in general.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Weinertron posted:

Towing in the US is done almost exclusively with pickups capable of towing huge tongue weights and huge amounts in general.

It's because everyone in the US has tiny wieners they need to compensate for with big trucks and suvs :) Also, everyone here is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Weinertron posted:

But surely high nose weights are a bad idea regardless of what is towing it? Or does a highish nose weight make it more stable?