Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Didion posted:

Is it possible to block pre-roll video ads on Safari 6?

I love ClickToPlugin; I've never seen it play an ad in its html5 player. (If youtube stops being replaced, it may be because they've silently forced you into their own html5 player, which you can turn off at http://www.youtube.com/html5 to restore ClickToPlugin's html5 player).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ruprecht posted:

Would like an app recommendation if anyone has a moment.

Something like Shave Video that also supports trimming/lifting from avi and mkv. Transcoding support optional.

What I love about this Shave app is how dead-simple it is; you trim clips and maybe convert them.

You could try FCP X

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Copying files to my new NAS tends to take the better part of forever. Not the copying itself usually (unless it's loads of small files, then it start hemmoraging a bit, otherwise I'm cruising along at a respectable 30-40MB/s), but the whole "preparing to copy"-bit of it. And when I want to cancel a copy operation, the whole process just hangs (I've been staring at a "cancelling file copy"-box for over two hours now). What can I try to improve this?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm trying to figure out out how I setup a launchd action to run a script i'm importing from my Linux server into my OSX server, and how to get OSX to echo date into a text file once.

Launchd Issue:
I have a directory on a remote server that I want to mirror to a local server using rsync. I have the script working to the point where typing the command to run in terminal works. On my linux server I had edited cron to run it every six hours. However I can seem to figure out how to setup the launchd.plist to work.

I bought Lingon 3 from the app store, and that says it works, but I can't seem to test and empirical evidence shows that it is not running. How do I get it to run and how do I test to ensure that it is running when it supposed to?

date Issue:
when script runs the final line is "echo "Completed at $date" >> sync.log" however I cannot get that to read Completed at 2012-10-16 00:25:01. I've defined $DATE as /usr/bin/date and I've tried use using date to no avail. Thoughts?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

gmq posted:

I'm really new to OSX so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, is there a way to hide an app's dock icon? Or maybe move them to the top bar. The dock gets kinda crowded once I launch the 3G modem software, tweetdeck, etc.

Dock Dodger will do this.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

gmq posted:

I'm really new to OSX so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, is there a way to hide an app's dock icon? Or maybe move them to the top bar. The dock gets kinda crowded once I launch the 3G modem software, tweetdeck, etc.

Just, to be safe: You know you can drag apps that aren't running off the dock to get rid of them?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is there a way to make a downloaded file automatically launch the app associated with it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can with Chrome

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
And Firefox. Open the preferences window, in the Applications tab.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Is there a way to make a downloaded file automatically launch the app associated with it?

Doesn't this option in Safari do what you're looking for?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

As far as I know, there's no way to change what Safari calls "safe" so plenty of files that you'd like opened after download just do nothing.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know of a free digital vault for storing information behind a password? I don't need password syncing or anything like that, just basically encrypted sticky notes.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Keychain Access.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Yeah, but I'd rather have a simple app designed for this one purpose.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Experto Crede posted:

Does anyone know of a free digital vault for storing information behind a password? I don't need password syncing or anything like that, just basically encrypted sticky notes.

1password is worth every cent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Experto Crede posted:

Just create an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility. Mount it and save your poo poo in it. Don't save your password to the keychain and you'll have to type it every time you use it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

1password is worth every cent.

I agree, but that's like sending a truck to do a bicycle's job based on the requested use case.

vv Much better.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Bob Morales posted:

Just create an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility. Mount it and save your poo poo in it. Don't save your password to the keychain and you'll have to type it every time you use it.

Just did this, good idea. Cheers!

(I also looked at knox quickly, which seems to literally do this and charge for it...)

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Now that my MBP has a shiny new SSD, I decided to update to 10.8. It's... okay. I only want to know one thing.

How do I turn off that horrible loving Safari back/forward animation?

I have a fast computer and a 30mbit connection, the animation takes longer to load than the page itself <:mad:>

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Wha?.. I don't have a back/forward animation..?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I don't have a trackpad in front of me, but I think it happens only when you're using the back/forward trackpad gesture. Command-arrow key or the toolbar buttons don't do the animation.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just got given a 30 dollar iTunes voucher and want to spend it on some cool apps. I already have the ones I use most for work (mainly Sublime Text 2) but would love some recommendations on other ones.

edit: welp, the card's code is broken, apparently, so I'm waiting to hear back from iTunes store support. :)

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 17, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

cbirdsong" [quote="in_cahoots posted:

Dock Dodger will do this.

Didn't work. :(

post="408597661"]
Just, to be safe: You know you can drag apps that aren't running off the dock to get rid of them?
[/quote]

Yeah, the problem are the apps that I feel should minimize to the menu bar.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

gmq posted:

Didn't work. :(

post="408597661"]

Yeah, the problem are the apps that I feel should minimize to the menu bar.
[/quote]

What app are you trying? Dock Dodger has worked with every app I've thrown at it. You have to drag the actual app to the window, not the dock shortcut.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Anybody know anything about Photoshop licenses? I want to buy CS6 on Amazon for my work but I'm wondering if we'll be able to use it on two computers on the same network or if it's just for one system. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6515823...otoshop+cs6+mac

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Geek USSR posted:

Anybody know anything about Photoshop licenses? I want to buy CS6 on Amazon for my work but I'm wondering if we'll be able to use it on two computers on the same network or if it's just for one system. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6515823...otoshop+cs6+mac
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/end-user-license-agreements-faq.html#main_Can_I_use_my_software_on_two_computers_

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone else on ML have a problem with Finder not updating the contents of a folder if they are modified through another application? For example I have a folder called Storage on a volume called Incoming

If I do "touch /Volumes/Storage/Incoming/test" nothing will appear inside Finder until I create an empty folder and delete it on the same volume. As soon as that happens the test file will appear. Likewise after deleting the test file through terminal it still there in Finder. Also happens when using Automator/Services to move files around.

Only happens on one volume (internal 500GB HDD) which is really odd. Internal SSD boot drive is unaffected as is an external Firewire drive.

I actually wrote an Applescript that creates a new folder and deletes it immediately to "refresh" Finder which is a lovely workaround!

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

You Am I posted:

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with creating a Recovery Volume on a Mac that doesn't have a recovery volume on it?

There are plenty of guides for it on the net, but just wondering if someone here has done this before.

I used this guide several months ago:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/removing-and-rebuilding-a-malfunctioning-recover-hd-partition/

I only needed to create the volume, so I started with "Step Three: Rebuilding the recovery partition."
It works fine - I've booted from it several times since then.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Softcox posted:

Anyone else on ML have a problem with Finder not updating the contents of a folder if they are modified through another application? For example I have a folder called Storage on a volume called Incoming

If I do "touch /Volumes/Storage/Incoming/test" nothing will appear inside Finder until I create an empty folder and delete it on the same volume. As soon as that happens the test file will appear. Likewise after deleting the test file through terminal it still there in Finder. Also happens when using Automator/Services to move files around.

Only happens on one volume (internal 500GB HDD) which is really odd. Internal SSD boot drive is unaffected as is an external Firewire drive.

I actually wrote an Applescript that creates a new folder and deletes it immediately to "refresh" Finder which is a lovely workaround!

I had the same problem- I could see files in iterm but not finder. Resetting the PRAM and repairing disk permissions seems to have fixed it, but it could be a coincidence.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Polymerized Cum posted:

Now that my MBP has a shiny new SSD, I decided to update to 10.8. It's... okay. I only want to know one thing.

How do I turn off that horrible loving Safari back/forward animation?

I have a fast computer and a 30mbit connection, the animation takes longer to load than the page itself <:mad:>

I use this Terminal command to disable all window animations - I think this does Safari too:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

in_cahoots posted:

I had the same problem- I could see files in iterm but not finder. Resetting the PRAM and repairing disk permissions seems to have fixed it, but it could be a coincidence.

I just erased the volume and copied the data back on using CCC and now it's fixed. Very weird but glad it's working!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Are there any utils that let me set the scan rate / res of an external monitor whether the mac thinks it supports it or not?

My Cintiq 15X just doesn't work anymore (Seems to have been last update?) , and when I plug it in, I see it come up, then turn off.

When I plug it into my old mac, its fine. When I plug my big-rear end monitor into my new mac its fine, but I cant loving make new mac and cintiq talk to each other :(

It seems to be that the macs making completely bung assumptions about the res and scan rate of the monitor and not letting me access its full range of scan rates.

I've tried the pram reset thing. I've tried a couple of different leads (Although i only have one VGA->thunderport adaptor to test with) and nothing seems to do it.

If there was some util that would let me use different resolutions/scan rates outside of the one it THINKS it can do , it might save me a tonne of headaches.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
SwitchResX maybe. There might be free alternatives out there too, I don't know.

http://www.madrau.com/download/latest/latest.html

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

SwitchResX maybe. There might be free alternatives out there too, I don't know.

http://www.madrau.com/download/latest/latest.html

Eh. Its starting to look like it might actually be a connector thing. gently caress.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if this has been touched on in this thread, but there's been a little bit of drama regarding the security of FileVault 2.

Apparently there is a hack which allows someone to dump the contents of RAM to another machine via Firewire.

CNET wrote an article about a vendor that sells software that uses the exploit: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57369983-263/filevault-2-easily-decrypted-warns-passware/

Todd Garrison at Frameloss.org provides a fix for this by forcing your Mac to dump RAM to disk and turn it off (thus clearing it) every time you go to sleep and deleting the keys from RAM when the Mac is locked.

http://www.frameloss.org/2011/09/18/firewire-attacks-against-mac-os-lion-filevault-2-encryption/

I stumbled across this while looking for some reviews on FileVault as I'm considering turning it on as my personal and work Mac are one in the same and I travel for work.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences using FileVault 2 on a machine equipped with an SSD, especially if you use VMs frequently.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm not sure if this has been touched on in this thread, but there's been a little bit of drama regarding the security of FileVault 2.

Apparently there is a hack which allows someone to dump the contents of RAM to another machine via Firewire.

CNET wrote an article about a vendor that sells software that uses the exploit: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57369983-263/filevault-2-easily-decrypted-warns-passware/

Todd Garrison at Frameloss.org provides a fix for this by forcing your Mac to dump RAM to disk and turn it off (thus clearing it) every time you go to sleep and deleting the keys from RAM when the Mac is locked.

http://www.frameloss.org/2011/09/18/firewire-attacks-against-mac-os-lion-filevault-2-encryption/

I stumbled across this while looking for some reviews on FileVault as I'm considering turning it on as my personal and work Mac are one in the same and I travel for work.

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences using FileVault 2 on a machine equipped with an SSD, especially if you use VMs frequently.

1. Apple is basically dropping Firewire, the Air and the Retina don't even have it
2. If someone has physical access to your machine...
3. I thought they had this fixed out in the PowerPC days?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

1. Apple is basically dropping Firewire, the Air and the Retina don't even have it
2. If someone has physical access to your machine...
3. I thought they had this fixed out in the PowerPC days?

1. I wouldn't be surprised if similar exploits exist or will exist for other ports
2. If someone has physical access to my machine's hardware, that doesn't mean they have access to the data contained therein. There are other considerations, such as when traveling to and from some countries.
3. I haven't heard anything about it for a long time, never in relation to Intel machines, until I started researching FileVault.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Tweetbot for Mac is finally out and causing some controversy with its $19.99 price tag.

As a user of the beta, I really like the app and I'm happy to pay a fairly high amount for it. For those who consider it too expensive, a lot of blame is being directed at Twitter's recent limitations on the number of users 3rd party clients are allowed to serve. I imagine the Tapbots folks are being cautious with supply & demand on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tenterhooks posted:

Tweetbot for Mac is finally out and causing some controversy with its $19.99 price tag.

As a user of the beta, I really like the app and I'm happy to pay a fairly high amount for it. For those who consider it too expensive, a lot of blame is being directed at Twitter's recent limitations on the number of users 3rd party clients are allowed to serve. I imagine the Tapbots folks are being cautious with supply & demand on release.

I think they played this well. There really isn't a great Twitter client for Mac and I think this will let them sell through to their cap while maximizing profit. People really should direct their angst toward Twitter on this one.

We need to get the beeb to join App.net.