Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

The Lunar games do that and there was just a rerelease of the first one on iOS a few weeks back.

Fair warning, the Sega CD versions of Lunar and Lunar 2 actually do have random encounters, but there's no real reason to play those versions anyway.

EDIT: VVV Saga Frontier and Romancing Saga 3 (translated SFAM rom) are definitely worth poking around at. Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga are best avoided unless you enjoy the other Saga games and have a lot of patience, which is a polite way of saying please do not play these games.

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oh right, SaGa Frontier has visible enemies and also a bunch of cool experimental ideas. The sequel might too, never played it. I'd have a hard time calling SaGa Frontier a really great game but it's definitely worth trying.

Also man, I couldn't get into Rogue Galaxy to save my life. Things were going along fine aside from the characters and plot, then I hit the jungle planet like three hours in and I just couldn't pick the game up again. Should I have kept plugging away? Does it get that much better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. The jungle planet is kind of a low point, but it never really wows you in terms of gameplay. I liked the combat system,but it never really made me lean back and go 'holy poo poo this game owns.'

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Endorph posted:

I liked the two goofy guys that went to get the protagonist at the start, the robot and the, what, mole guy? I have no idea why, but I liked them.

But yeah every other character in that game sucked. Except the guy who looked like Xiahou Dun from Dynasty Warriors, he was alright.

Oh yeah, Steve (I remember because robots are cool), and the other one with the Scots accent who had that "terrible secret", and kept getting followed around by the woman and her daughter and unsubtley asking :byodame: "Have you seen my husband? No? Boo-hoo-hoo. Well I guess I'll look someplace else".

Fungah! posted:

Also man, I couldn't get into Rogue Galaxy to save my life. Things were going along fine aside from the characters and plot, then I hit the jungle planet like three hours in and I just couldn't pick the game up again. Should I have kept plugging away? Does it get that much better?

Nope.

Just think of every single cliche thing you can about either sci-fi or JRPGs in general, and that's what you get. The worst points of the game are climbing up two ruined towers, not to disimliar to Pharos in FFXII, twice, and the final boss requiring you to use all of your party members. Even the terrible, terrible ones who are underlevelled and ill-equipped.

It's okay for killing a few hours, not much more than that. Unless you want to see what a game made entirely out of tv tropes looked like.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Well cool, I remember people hyping it up like crazy when it came out and I'm glad I didn't keep going. Thanks guys.

It's weird, I love Star Ocean 2 because it's got a ton of really cool systems to fart around with but when it comes to Rogue Galaxy's crafting and weapon upgrading I just couldn't give a poo poo. It's not a plot thing, SO2's plot and characters are garbage too. I think it's because the lovely jungle planet comes so early in the game, mostly. It's just such an annoying thing so early that I'm not invested at all and it's pretty easy to just abandon ship.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For me with SO3, my dislike of it is a combination of the characters and plot - strangely enough though, not the point where it is for most people (the "4-D" bit), the point I was sick of it (yet still carried on with anyway) was on the medieval planet with some war or something I can no longer remember - the crafting system which I could never get the hang of, the music (outside of a few songs), and the character designs.

Yet I carried on, thinking it would get better. I even did the bonus dungeons. :negative: What the christ was I thinking!?

[e]:
By the time I finished the drat thing, I hated it for existing, and myself for playing it all that time. I may bitch and moan about say, XIII or DmC, but SO3 remains one of the only games I genuinely hate. Oh god the bile it's coming back! :unsmigghh:

(Un?)fortunately it put me off the rest of the series, so I never got round to SO1 or 2. Though I know that 4 would put me right off.

S'up fellow SO3 survivor :(:hf::(
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 19, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I put 130 hours into SO3.

I have no idea why. To this date I don't think there's a JRPG I hated more in retrospect.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yet I carried on, thinking it would get better. I even did the bonus dungeons. :negative: What the christ was I thinking!?

I don't know about you, but for most of that medieval planet I was thinking "I've been on this boring side story for 30 hours now, surely they'll have to go to space again soon".

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 19, 2012

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
SO3 was an interesting game in that I played through it fueled by nothing but my rose tinted glasses of SO2. Bear in mind that in SO2 I hadn't made it to the second disk and really spent most of my time rocking out with Claude and that dude with dragons on his back. Ashton?

I genuinely liked the combat system to SO3 so that helped me a lot. When I got to the big reveal I stopped caring and just waited for the game to be over. Boy was that a long wait.

I did like the one dude you get later on... The super beefy dude that pretty much knows every spell in the game. Adray? I used him pretty much all the time.

Game would have been a lot better if you had gone to more planets of different tech levels.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, those were pretty much my thoughts.

Considering how short the first planet was, I thought the whole game was gonna be, basically, a town, blah blah blah need to kill whatever, a dungeon, defeat boss and then flying off to another planet and repeat the process.

But that goddamn medieval planet. :shepicide:
Having to watch the plot come to a crawl to suffer through an Aeris reference, fixing a weapon for some town, crawling in a dungeon for prisoners, and then fighting homicidal sarong-wearing Crispin Freeman.

Oh Crispin :allears:

Ahem.

That game. Goddamn. :mad:

[e]: It also had that really loving creepy cutscene with that kid. Because you can never have enough creepy pandering, right? :suicide:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand Star Ocean 4 featured plenty of planet travel and was many times worse for it!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arrrthritis posted:

I genuinely liked the combat system to SO3 so that helped me a lot. When I got to the big reveal I stopped caring and just waited for the game to be over. Boy was that a long wait.
A lot of folks cite MP death and poo poo, but I disliked SO3's battle system for its Guard mechanic. Even if you stood still, actually guarding was really unreliable and they should've just implemented it as a button instead of "put down the controller." It isn't like they don't have enough of them on post-SNES controllers.

This usually wasn't a problem, of course, and you just spent most of the game manually dodging stuff anyway, but there were your usual unblockable teleport-behind-you attacks and the ubiquitous MECHANICAL MICROMISSILE SPIDERS. gently caress those spiders. gently caress any enemy with micro missiles, really, but those spiders were like the only non-bosses who used anything like it.

That "bonus board" crap, too (which, incidentally, is directly related to teleporting enemies and 20-plinky-hits spiders). Don't balance your level and equipment price progression assuming your players always have it giving them +300% EXP and Fols. It's a bonus, not a "penalty if you don't."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The White Dragon posted:

A lot of folks cite MP death and poo poo, but I disliked SO3's battle system for its Guard mechanic.

I'd forgotten about those features. Thanks :shepicide:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Never played SO4, but looking at the character designs it looks like they Did It Wrong. With the exception of a robot, everyone has some sort of futuristic version of a medieval weapon. gently caress that. Give me a dude with a blunderbuss.

Also, for clarification, I don't like SO3's combat system now. I tried to get into it a year or so back and I thought it was a load of poo poo. 14/15 year old me just really liked it because whoa you could manually dodge stuff.

Also, I seem to remember the AI having a tendency to rush in and die while my main character (Adray) would be the only one remaining for good portions of the fight.

e: Also, why the hell couldn't we get a Vendeeni party member? I seem to remember them finding you at the medieval planet, then you kick their rear end, then I guess they all get deleted by the big bad evil directors? Or does that happen after the moon base?

Ugh man gently caress star ocean 3

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 19, 2012

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Pesky Splinter posted:

Grandia 1 and 2 have monsters on the field. You can sneak up on them, or they can to you, or you can just avoid them.

Grandia 1 is pretty good, from what I recall, but Grandia 2 is definitely worth it, despite how easy it is, although, there is a hard patch. And there is tonnes of funny and world building NPC dialogue if you choose to seek it out. It's pretty neat.

Awesome. I think I'm going to play the 2 Grandia games first.

Fungah! posted:

The Lunar games do that

Thanks for reminding me about Lunar. I got it a really long time ago in a neat box thingy, but never got a chance to play it. No idea if it's any good.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand Star Ocean 4 featured plenty of planet travel and was many times worse for it!

Only because all the most heinous character asides took place on the ship while you were travelling! I'd still rather go with that structure than spend a solid 80% chunk of the game in the wrong genre.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Awesome. I think I'm going to play the 2 Grandia games first.

Thanks for reminding me about Lunar. I got it a really long time ago in a neat box thingy, but never got a chance to play it. No idea if it's any good.

Honestly? It's all right. It's about as generic of a good jrpg as I can think of. No huge missteps, nothing soul-rendingly awesome. Don't really regret playing through it but I doubt I would again.

e: no huge missteps other than the boat scene I mean. Good lord that was terrible.

e2: vvv watch it and weep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ8nyFGuqBo vvv

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

e: no huge missteps other than the boat scene I mean. Good lord that was terrible.

Boat scene? What sort of terrible are we talking about here?

Haha! What the gently caress? The bit at 1:54 sells it for me, where she speaks in harmony with her singing. Haha!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 19, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Animated Disney Musical Number in a video game terrible.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've never played a Star Ocean game significantly, although I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile (the first one anyway) and Radiata Stories. From the way you guys talk, I get the feeling I shouldn't bother with any SO games at all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CloseFriend posted:

I've never played a Star Ocean game significantly, although I really enjoyed Valkyrie Profile (the first one anyway) and Radiata Stories. From the way you guys talk, I get the feeling I shouldn't bother with any SO games at all.

Play SO2! SO2 is awesome, god drat it!

It's got probably the best crafting system of any jrpg ever (not a high bar, I know, but it's actually a ton of fun to play around with), there's a ton of hidden stuff to find all over the world, and even though the plot and characters are bad you can ignore them pretty easily.

e: oh right, and the combat, the combat's a lot of fun too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CloseFriend posted:

SO2 is great fun. The battle system is weighted in the player's favor. You can even drop the final boss with any attack that inflicts instant death. The story is... atrocious, and that's being generous, but you pick up the PS1 version or, I dunno, can you mute the voice acting in the PSP remake? And you good to go.

I hate SO3 and stayed away from SO4 on principle. SO1 can be kinda fun and its story is the least retarded of the lot (2 is basically a crappy remake of 1's story with another story tacked on afterwards, and 3 is basically a crappy remake of 2 with yet another story tacked on after), but compared to Star Ocean 2, all of its systems, from item crafting to skills to combat, seem very prototypical.

Incidentally, you can kill the final boss in the first game with any instant death proc too.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 19, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Haha! What the gently caress? The bit at 1:54 sells it for me, where she speaks in harmony with her singing. Haha!

Best part is Alex's blank face at the end.

"Well, that sure is a thing that just happened."

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's ever been a tri-Ace game I've been apathetic about. I absolutely loved it (the 3 VPs, radiata stories, SO2, XIII-2 if that counts) or hated it (everything else I think)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone know if Rogue Galaxy was any good? I know Level-5 knocked it out of the park with Dragon Quest 8 (Best DQ game in my opinion)and just never got around to Rogue Galaxy even though I wanted to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the boat scene. :smith:

Then again, I also unironically love disney songs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Disney songs with Disney quality animation is fine. Randomly during the middle of a game with low budget anime is laughably strange. I kinda like the song though, for how cheesy it is.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyone know if Rogue Galaxy was any good?

It's about average, but has too much frequent bullshit and too many design flaws for me to want to play again. If you have a high tolerance for really flat characters, a cliche plot, and a shallow battle system, then it's okay to kill a few hours.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

SO2 is great fun. The battle system is weighted in the player's favor. You can even drop the final boss with any attack that inflicts instant death. The story is... atrocious, and that's being generous,

Come on, it wasn't super awful. It certainly wasn't inspired, but atrocious?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Valkyrie Profile 2 is among the most innovative and refreshing jrpgs. If you haven't played it, do so. It's a shame other Tri-Ace games aren't comparable in quality.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Well y'know, disney songs have a place. It's just that this place is kind of far away from "We just killed a sea slime boss and now we're sailing to another nintendo town."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

SO2 is great fun. The battle system is weighted in the player's favor. You can even drop the final boss with any attack that inflicts instant death.

This seems like a specifically weird complaint, the secret version of the final boss in that game is a complete and total monster. Like in "randomly uses a spell that can deal 9999 damage to the entire party" territory. And it's really easy to trip the flag that activates him without really understanding the consequences, so you go from fighting a boss you can mash out at the level 100-120 you're supposed to finish the game at to a boss who's still a crapshoot at the level cap of 255.

If the instant kill bubble lotion stuff works on him, I certainly could never get it to. I remember this all so vividly because it's the only RPG I've ever played where I got to the last boss and then put it down without finishing it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This seems like a specifically weird complaint, the secret version of the final boss in that game is a complete and total monster.

Oh, dude, when I say "in favor of the player," I mean that like a good thing. I actually like that. Screw challenge, you can get enough of that in real life, haha.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

I've never seen anyone diss the boat scene before, what's wrong with you lot?? It's a cute upbeat moment in a cute upbeat game, and at the time it was a big loving deal. An animated song, with lyrics, in a JRPG? Whoa!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

I've never seen anyone diss the boat scene before, what's wrong with you lot?? It's a cute upbeat moment in a cute upbeat game, and at the time it was a big loving deal. An animated song, with lyrics, in a JRPG? Whoa!

I was never exposed to the boat scene before today and it was one of the corniest things I've ever seen and I kind of want to marry it

The Lunar games weren't anything remarkable but they had a lot of heart.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: VVV Saga Frontier and Romancing Saga 3 (translated SFAM rom) are definitely worth poking around at. Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga are best avoided unless you enjoy the other Saga games and have a lot of patience, which is a polite way of saying please do not play these games.

I swear I'm the only one that liked Frontier 2 :( I've never played 1 though so that's probably why. And the Final Fantasy Legend games were all pretty good (2 being the best).

RS3 owned, but screw playing that without a guide. It's like an onion of bullshit, so many layers.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The reason I bought Lunar back in the day was the boat scene. No regrets. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This discussion on terrible JRPG games and plots makes me glad Nier exists.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Bellmaker posted:

I swear I'm the only one that liked Frontier 2 :( I've never played 1 though so that's probably why. And the Final Fantasy Legend games were all pretty good (2 being the best).

RS3 owned, but screw playing that without a guide. It's like an onion of bullshit, so many layers.

You're not the only one! The only game in the SaGa series I like more than SF2 is Minstrel Song.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

You're not the only one! The only game in the SaGa series I like more than SF2 is Minstrel Song.
It's really, really hard not to like Minstrel Song even if you're horrendous at it for the soundtrack alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I tried to give you a chance, Final Fantasy 1. But you are so grindy.
Every two steps, a random encounter inside that drat Earth Cave. Also, I didn't know the Gigas Corridor existed till today. :negative: