Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

They can't actually change the description for a reward level if someone's pledged for it, so it's probably best to not go by those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1358562997/gamemaster-howards-know-it-all

This looks like a really cool idea for a learning/edutainment game that's actually versatile. It seems like a great way to build up a super broad knowledge base, or pick something up casually. I can't wait to see if it's actually good for learning more than just the superficial stuff.

MarvinMouse
May 16, 2004

Just a little light reading between Sartre, Erdos and Descartes
The Pandabot 3d printer

I'm totally biased, but I've been working for a long time on this product and it's really quite exciting. Basically, most of the other 3d printers on Kickstarter, and in general use processes that are expensive or, to be blunt, quite dangerous. Or they are not designed specifically as a manufactured consumer product, so they don't get the natural economy of scale without sacrificing either usability or aesthetic.

I went into this trying to make a 3d printer that could be provided at sub-1000 price, without assembly, that was self-calibrating (so non-engineers could just use it), and would look sexy in an office or a home. This is what we've come up with, and if we can get the initial tooling costs, then this all becomes even more awesome, because artistic goons and others who never thought they could understand or work with a 3d printer will be able to play with one and see the possibilities (and start to produce arts and designs they can sell to other goons with printers.)

It's pretty fun stuff. But yeah, this one is my favourite for biased reasons.

Albeit, I would say that I really like the tinyduino as well. :)

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

This one has six hours left. I just contributed to get some miniatures based on Matt Dixon's artwork.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombshellminis/bombshell-babes

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

MarvinMouse posted:

The Pandabot 3d printer

I'm totally biased, but I've been working for a long time on this product and it's really quite exciting. Basically, most of the other 3d printers on Kickstarter, and in general use processes that are expensive or, to be blunt, quite dangerous. Or they are not designed specifically as a manufactured consumer product, so they don't get the natural economy of scale without sacrificing either usability or aesthetic.

I went into this trying to make a 3d printer that could be provided at sub-1000 price, without assembly, that was self-calibrating (so non-engineers could just use it), and would look sexy in an office or a home. This is what we've come up with, and if we can get the initial tooling costs, then this all becomes even more awesome, because artistic goons and others who never thought they could understand or work with a 3d printer will be able to play with one and see the possibilities (and start to produce arts and designs they can sell to other goons with printers.)

It's pretty fun stuff. But yeah, this one is my favourite for biased reasons.

Albeit, I would say that I really like the tinyduino as well. :)

That looks really cool, but it doesn't mention if it accepts support material, which is necessary for more intricate designs.

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nikkiprice/proper-pie-co
Proper pie shop. Fully funded and I donated $5...

It's a part of town that could use the push, and frankly, they are tasty as hell.
This just seems like the "good" side of kickstart.

MarvinMouse
May 16, 2004

Just a little light reading between Sartre, Erdos and Descartes

The Aphasian posted:

That looks really cool, but it doesn't mention if it accepts support material, which is necessary for more intricate designs.

Currently, the model we are Kickstarting has 1 head, so there is no support material right now. However, the head is designed to have 3 or more extruders specifically so we can do support material.

The plan is to do it once we get the ball rolling, but this provides the initial tooling as well as allows us to solve a few of the remaining complexities for a majority of the device so we can sell it at this price point.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Bottle Opening House Key
http://kck.st/VNbiXQ

A highschool friend of mine fabbed up this key blank that has a bottle opener built into it. Pretty good idea, really shocked nobody else has done this yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

MMD3 posted:

Bottle Opening House Key
http://kck.st/VNbiXQ

A highschool friend of mine fabbed up this key blank that has a bottle opener built into it. Pretty good idea, really shocked nobody else has done this yet.

Sweet. Just backed this. Amazing that this hasn't been though of.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
drat, it's a shame my apartment has some stupid key format that isn't either of those standards.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How the hell did someone think of "bottle opener in my flip flop!" before this?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Aphasian posted:

How the hell did someone think of "bottle opener in my flip flop!" before this?

There has to be a downside beyond "requires you to rebuy when you move" and "you probably stab yourself right good when you open a bottle." Looking at the sheer number of products which are ALMOST like this makes me think that it was already thought of but has some giant drawback.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably that most people have bottle opener keychains already.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'd rather have this key then a bottle opener keychain, such a simple, yet good idea.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I don't need a bottle opener all that often, and that just makes this more handy, because with something like that I don't need to fumble around for one.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
See, I have one of these on my keychain

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01769-Shard-Keychain-Tool/dp/B002ZK45IQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349982329&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+shard

The other functions have been super useful at random times, and it's not exactly breaking the bank. It's not the best bottle opener but it's totally functional.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Or just spend 5 minutes in the garage with a hacksaw and make your own. If you're afraid of cutting up an important key, just get a key blank from a hardware store, and you can even pick one with a larger flat area, longer skinny bit (better leverage), and an off-set hole.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Or just use a counter/your teeth like a manly man person.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Or just spend 5 minutes in the garage with a hacksaw and make your own. If you're afraid of cutting up an important key, just get a key blank from a hardware store, and you can even pick one with a larger flat area, longer skinny bit (better leverage), and an off-set hole.

or you could just pay $12 and not be a total miser, seriously sometimes I wonder how little people value their time reading stuff like this. trying to make a bottle opener out of a key with a vice grip and hacksaw does NOT sound like a fun time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Who the gently caress needs bottle openers?

http://youtu.be/tYV3_CO277o

EonBlueApoc
Oct 13, 2006
I play straight up.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Who the gently caress needs bottle openers?

http://youtu.be/tYV3_CO277o

Yuengling is twist-off...

On topic, I love old west mini games-
This Kickstarter is over:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gangfightgames/blackwater-gulch-gangfights-in-the-old-west
But another is coming soon!
http://blackwatergulch.com/blog/2012/09/new-concept-art-kickstarter-coming-soon/

EonBlueApoc has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 12, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EonBlueApoc posted:

Yuengling is twist-off...

And you really shouldn't pry off a twist-off. The glass can easily break, especially the threads. Glass in your beer is not a good thing.

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Didn't see anything saying we couldn't post our own kickstarters? If so i'll remove asap!

http://igg.me/p/257095?a=1636811

Anti-mold lens caps!

An idea I've had for awhile.

I've never done crowd funding before, any tips?

doczoid has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Oct 18, 2012

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

doczoid posted:

Didn't see anything saying we couldn't post our own kickstarters? If so i'll remove asap!

http://igg.me/p/257095?a=1636811

Anti-mold lens caps!

An idea I've had for awhile.

You should be forewarned that the Flexible Funding option on IndyGoGo turns a lot of people off. The thinking is that if you need at least $5,000 to make your project happen, what happens if the project ends with, say, $1,000?

Also, if I were you, I'd make the description of the item the first thing in the text block.

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

InShaneee posted:

You should be forewarned that the Flexible Funding option on IndyGoGo turns a lot of people off. The thinking is that if you need at least $5,000 to make your project happen, what happens if the project ends with, say, $1,000?

Also, if I were you, I'd make the description of the item the first thing in the text block.

You mean instead of "Who am I?"

I was using the default template and it had that first, I thought it was a bit odd.. I'll change it now.

Thanks

edit: Re: the flexible funding - I just can't imagine anyone is going to contribute. Everything on there seems to be Donate to my dying baby or iPhone watches or some crap... I think my idea is good but it's just not that sexy.

doczoid has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Oct 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

doczoid posted:

Yeah, sell the product first and then sell yourself. Also the pitch is way too brief and doesn't cover many questions people might have such as whether the lenses will fit their particular cameras, exactly how the lenses will be mold proof, whether they'll also be scratch proof, whether they'll come packaged or loose, etc etc. Does Indiegogo have an option for a FAQ where people can click on bullet points for more info? You could stick that info in there.
The fact that you 'hope' the lenses will be $20 (to manufacture? To sell?) is a big turn off and makes you sound like you haven't put in enough prep work on the project and the manufacturing details haven't been figured out. Your pitch makes the project sound risky.

Also I'm not sure if your pledge rewards will entice many non-business sponsors. If the lenses cost $20 to buy and I only wanted to get one or two or even five just to try them out then I'd wait until the project was over and the lenses were commercially available since none of those pledge levels would actually save me any money. If I was intending to buy 6 lenses at $20 each then the $25 perk would only save me $5 in the end ($25 pledge + $120 - $30 discount), and there's no guarantee to the donor that you'll get enough pledges to make the project viable so the potential loss is $25. If I claimed the $50 perk (35% discount) and only bought six lenses I'd be $8 worse off. If the lenses end up costing more than $20 to buy then the pledge rewards would be even less enticing.

If you're only interested in attracting businesses to this project then the pitch is probably too vague and too risky for any savvy business people to take a punt on it.

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, sell the product first and then sell yourself. Also the pitch is way too brief and doesn't cover many questions people might have such as whether the lenses will fit their particular cameras, exactly how the lenses will be mold proof, whether they'll also be scratch proof, whether they'll come packaged or loose, etc etc. Does Indiegogo have an option for a FAQ where people can click on bullet points for more info? You could stick that info in there.
The fact that you 'hope' the lenses will be $20 (to manufacture? To sell?) is a big turn off and makes you sound like you haven't put in enough prep work on the project and the manufacturing details haven't been figured out. Your pitch makes the project sound risky.

Also I'm not sure if your pledge rewards will entice many non-business sponsors. If the lenses cost $20 to buy and I only wanted to get one or two or even five just to try them out then I'd wait until the project was over and the lenses were commercially available since none of those pledge levels would actually save me any money. If I was intending to buy 6 lenses at $20 each then the $25 perk would only save me $5 in the end ($25 pledge + $120 - $30 discount), and there's no guarantee to the donor that you'll get enough pledges to make the project viable so the potential loss is $25. If I claimed the $50 perk (35% discount) and only bought six lenses I'd be $8 worse off. If the lenses end up costing more than $20 to buy then the pledge rewards would be even less enticing.

If you're only interested in attracting businesses to this project then the pitch is probably too vague and too risky for any savvy business people to take a punt on it.

Thanks I'll add more info and revise the perks now...

e: All updated, just hope I don't end up at $0 :/

doczoid has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Oct 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

doczoid posted:

Thanks I'll add more info and revise the perks now...

Maybe keep those perks but add "$18 - get one lens", "$35 - get two lenses" etc?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I think perks that included lens caps would be a lot nicer than a discount.

I can give someone $125 dollars and hope he develops and sells his $20 lens product so that I can spend additional money and save 65%? I can't imagine anybody wanting that.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Why not just use Kickstarter? Indiegogo seems like a website for projects which will never ever work or come to fruition.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah that's the kind of thing you should be doing on Kickstarter where you either get all of it, or none of it. What if one guy gave you $4000 but nobody gave you the rest? He basically would have given you a bunch of money for literally nothing since the only things he gets are a discount on his purchase, which will never happen, because you didn't raise enough to go into production.

A restaurant near me had some sort of issue with their freezer (and insurance company). They set up a flexible funding thing and provided rewards (give $X, get a drink, or a meal, or a meal per month for a year, or whatever) - that way, even if they don't hit their full goal, they still got some money to offset their costs, and the people who donated still get something. That's the type of thing where indiegogo's flexible funding makes sense to me.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Megaspel posted:

Why not just use Kickstarter? Indiegogo seems like a website for projects which will never ever work or come to fruition.

They're from Australia, I don't think you can start a Kickstarter without a U.S. or UK address. I think Indiegogo has a Kickstarter-like funding option though.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Veev posted:

They're from Australia, I don't think you can start a Kickstarter without a U.S. or UK address. I think Indiegogo has a Kickstarter-like funding option though.

Oh right, that makes sense.

Still though, terrible rewards and flexible funding pretty much screams "I JUST WANT YOUR MONEY"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

jonjonaug posted:

Production I.G. just started a Kickstarter for a 10 minute animated film directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who directed Mind Game.

Funding the hell out of this one, Yuasa is really good and deserves the work.

For the people here who care but haven't seen the thread for it, the pricing/contents on the rewards recently went from "they want how much?" to "that's quite reasonable".

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Megaspel posted:

Oh right, that makes sense.

Still though, terrible rewards and flexible funding pretty much screams "I JUST WANT YOUR MONEY"

Yes as mentioned I'm in Australia, so no kickstarter.
When creating the project indiegogo said that flexible is the most common funding type, and I'd like to get this project done regardless of if I meet the goal, it just means i'll have to raise the rest of the money myself, so instead of raising $5000 I'll only have to raise $5000 minus whatever I get pledged, which so far is $0 so :shrug:

as for I JUST WANT YOUR MONEY, I would've made a ROBBERS STOLE MY SICK CHILDS TV AND I NEED A NEW ONE! - they seem to do really well on that site.

And does everyone really think the rewards are so terrible? They're pretty considerable discounts and it has the benefit of stimulating sales volume, if you're getting a one time 75% off a product you'd want to buy a ton of them!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There's the impression that if the project doesn't reach its funding, the money went to nothing and you don't get the reward.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

doczoid posted:

And does everyone really think the rewards are so terrible? They're pretty considerable discounts and it has the benefit of stimulating sales volume, if you're getting a one time 75% off a product you'd want to buy a ton of them!
I think they are terrible. Being completely honest. Someone is going to give you 500 dollars, so that they can then pay you $5.00 for a lens cap (assuming you sell them at $20 each)?

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Juanito posted:

I think they are terrible. Being completely honest. Someone is going to give you 500 dollars, so that they can then pay you $5.00 for a lens cap (assuming you sell them at $20 each)?

I guess the idea is they buy 100 or so, saving them $1500.
Also I didn't realize it was meant to be essentially a store for pre-orders... thought the idea was to help get projects off the ground.

e: I think I'll just give up on it, I feel like I'm spamming up the board and there's obviously not as much interest in the idea as I thought there'd be.

ee: I was going to change the funding type but they don't allow it.

doczoid has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Oct 19, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Why is one person going to buy 100 lens caps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TetsuoTW posted:

Why is one person going to buy 100 lens caps?

For resale?

• Locked thread