Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Ugh, none of their work is any good from what I recall---want to think they were the ones behind the terrible Bo-bobo dvd release that didn't come anywhere close to par for a "good" R1 release.

Yeah, you're thinking of one of two other companies, S'More or Toei. Shout! had nothing to do with that. As far as I know, the only anime they've released at all are the Japanese G1 Transformers series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'd love for the series to come out but that isn't happeneing any time soon and I would have been fine with compilation movies but I guess that's out too. Oh well.

Maybe some middle generation X people will be happy to finally get legit Force Five DVDs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guyver posted:

Majestic Prince preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxoFz05R3g

Hisashi Hirai is back in the character design saddle and it's being directed by Keitaro Motonaga (Jormungand.) Looks okay I guess. Based on a Monthy Hero manga.

ugh more Hirai sameface. Seriously, that bit where it switched between the various pilots and there was zero difference except for hair colour... how does this guy still get jobs?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
First episode of Gyrozetter got subbed. I'm sure this will surprise precisely nobody but it is absolutely terrible. Don't watch it.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

ActionZero posted:

First episode of Gyrozetter got subbed. I'm sure this will surprise precisely nobody but it is absolutely terrible. Don't watch it.

drat. The look of it at first with the goofy kids and robots made me get mildly hopeful it would be a "wacky adventures with your robot pal" kind of show like J-Decker or maybe even GEAR Fighter Dendoh.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Bob Smith posted:

drat. The look of it at first with the goofy kids and robots made me get mildly hopeful it would be a "wacky adventures with your robot pal" kind of show like J-Decker or maybe even GEAR Fighter Dendoh.

Well I personally just found it to be way too generic childish gonna-be-a-five-personality-ensemble for my liking (nothing wrong with that kind of thing but in this case it wasn't for me), and the obsession with AI cars (which are literally the same thing as normal cars except you have to put an ID card in a slot seriously they never show them assisting with driving or anything) was just... urgh. The main thing that turned me off it is that the car turned into a robot by exploding into light which reformed into the robot mode. I would have appreciated a good mechanical transformation sequence.

On second thought, I might give it the three episode test but I'm not hopeful for it grabbing me.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

ActionZero posted:

Well I personally just found it to be way too generic childish gonna-be-a-five-personality-ensemble for my liking (nothing wrong with that kind of thing but in this case it wasn't for me), and the obsession with AI cars (which are literally the same thing as normal cars except you have to put an ID card in a slot seriously they never show them assisting with driving or anything) was just... urgh. The main thing that turned me off it is that the car turned into a robot by exploding into light which reformed into the robot mode. I would have appreciated a good mechanical transformation sequence.

On second thought, I might give it the three episode test but I'm not hopeful for it grabbing me.

After watching Da Garn and J-Decker where the "AI cars" have personalities and are basically more interesting than most of the human characters this sounds pretty dire.

The lack of a proper transformation/combination is also poor form for a super robot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
If you're not gonna properly transform, you gotta own that poo poo.

See also: Original Getter Robo transformation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like hot on the heels of Xabungle and L-Gaim, the Bryger fansubs have finished!

It's pretty amazing that all these projects finished so close to each other. Kudos to all the groups involved. 2012 has been a great year to be a fan of old robot shows.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 14, 2012

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Crinn is some kind of fan subbing hero. The /m/subs guys too.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The latest episode of Smile Precure has a fake super robot toy ad with animation by Masami Obari. Ken Ootsuka, Keisuke Watabe, and other big-time mecha animators are also on the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ub8hdby6TM

Obari posted a key frame to Twitter. http://pic.twitter.com/jhZrSC3F

Cure Happy turns into a giant robot too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 14, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Srice posted:

Looks like hot on the heels of Xabungle and L-Gaim, the Bryger fansubs have finished!

It's pretty amazing that all these projects finished so close to each other. Kudos to all the groups involved. 2012 has been a great year to be a fan of old robot shows.

Hell yeah it has! Kinda odd that this didn't trigger on my RSS feed thing. OP updated to have Bryger join the ranks of all the other completely fansubbed classic super robot shows!

On the subject of the OP, I've been meaning to add a list of more recent shows, but several of them I'm unfamiliar with as far as their licensed status goes. It doesn't help that many of them I own DVDs to. Shows that are licensed and are readily available for purchase I can add a link to Amazon or something, such as Golion or Giant Robo, but then there are shows like Orguss, VOTOMS, Getter Robo Armageddon, New Getter Robo, and Mazinkaiser where I'm not sure if their old licensors still exist or if the rights got transferred to another company or what. If anybody can help with those titles, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 14, 2012

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Bryger was fantastic stuff, definitely looking forward to the project that will follow along next in line from it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Mercury Crusader posted:

On the subject of the OP, I've been meaning to add a list of more recent shows, but several of them I'm unfamiliar with as far as their licensed status goes. It doesn't help that many of them I own DVDs to. Shows that are licensed and are readily available for purchase I can add a link to Amazon or something, such as Golion or Giant Robo, but then there are shows like Orguss, VOTOMS, Getter Robo Armageddon, New Getter Robo, and Mazinkaiser where I'm not sure if their old licensors still exist or if the rights got transferred to another company or what. If anybody can help with those titles, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mazinkaiser is still ADV, it never stopped being them, and it's super easy to find since they reissued. The rest are dead.

Of course, that may be for the best in one case. Don't bother with the 1080ps.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Be honest, how many of you are buying this?

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Burn that abomination.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Is that the Steamboat Willie riverboat as the head?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
My mind could barely comprehend what I was looking at. Then I noticed Mickey Mouse.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

AzraelNewtype posted:

*Well gosh Kouji-kun*
Makes more sense than the entirety of Kingdom Hearts.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Still looks better than ShinkenOh, in any case.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I look forward to piloting that monstrosity when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Tinkerbell Wing!
Jiminy Beam!
Beast Knuckle!
Hakuna Tornado!
Uh-hyucku-oh Ken!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well one is called Aqua Daisy and I can see Sky Minnie, so your not too far off :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Loose posted:

Jiminy Beam!

James Beam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting my Getters (heh) mixed up, I thought New Getter Robo was the show that was a direct sequel to the original TV series, but I guess not, which series was I thinking of?

Edit: Nevermind, it's probably Armageddon, I always think there's more Getter anime than there actually is because I lump Mazinger Z stuff in with it as well.

Shaezerus posted:

Getter Robo G. Everything else is self-contained.

Don't ever remember watching any G and I could have sworn there was a more recent series that used the end of the TV show as a jumping off point, but I could be wrong, it's been years since I watched anything Getter related.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 22, 2012

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Sakurazuka posted:

Getting my Getters (heh) mixed up, I thought New Getter Robo was the show that was a direct sequel to the original TV series, but I guess not, which series was I thinking of?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shaezerus posted:

Incorrect. Getter Robo Armageddon is a sequel to a radio drama that people have been incorrectly assuming is a sequel to Getter Robo G for years, because we don't have access to said radio drama.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

AzraelNewtype posted:

Incorrect. Getter Robo Armageddon is a sequel to a radio drama that people have been incorrectly assuming is a sequel to Getter Robo G for years, because we don't have access to said radio drama.

I discounted Moon Wars intentionally for that reason. It's a Sequel to a Thing, yes, but there's no reasonable availability of said Thing to us as a particular audience (and there seems to be no intention of fixing that), so Armageddon might as well just be standalone.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shaezerus posted:

I discounted Moon Wars intentionally for that reason. It's a Sequel to a Thing, yes, but there's no reasonable availability of said Thing to us as a particular audience (and there seems to be no intention of fixing that), so Armageddon might as well just be standalone.

Well sure, but people have been making the mistake forever because it clearly has continuity that it acts like you should know. It doesn't feel nearly as standalone as Shin vs Neo, which is still set theoretically post TV but not in a meaningful sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thinking about it, I most likely watched New Getter, Armageddon and a couple of episodes of G all at the same time (probably like 2004) which is why I'm horribly confused about which is which now.

VVVV I certainly didn't watch all of it, the first episode maybe and decided it was a bit too 70's for me, but then mixed up the basic idea with the other shows.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2012

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Sakurazuka posted:

Thinking about it, I most likely watched New Getter, Armageddon and a couple of episodes of G all at the same time (probably like 2004) which is why I'm horribly confused about which is which now.

G is the second 70s TV series, so it's possible you watched it but you'd never confuse it for the modern stuff.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Stop posting after each other, it's confusing :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

You can't tell Great and Mazinger apart? :colbert:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Mango Polo posted:

You might say we're having a Double Burning Discourse. :shepface:

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Why not make it a Triple? :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Isn't there someone with an Energer Z avatar? Because clearly they would be needed here.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Poor Grendizer... no one loves you :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Poor Grendizer... no one loves you :smith:

Well, maybe if he'd been released somewhere outside of Italy and the middle east.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

dis astranagant posted:

Well, maybe if he'd been released somewhere outside of Italy and the middle east.

Grendizer was part of Force Five, and it's got a fairly decent French following as well. I think it might be the most widely-distributed of the core Mazinger shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Now if only it was in more than a couple SRW games maybe it would get some love.

• Locked thread