Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay so when are you getting married? We have a competition to keep going here.

I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

11 years too late...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mindphlux posted:

So, post mortem :

MY GIRLFRIEND and I went on an awesome paddleboat ride a couple years ago while in the south of Germany. We were driving through the Schwarzwald, and stopped in a small rural town called Titisee. You could rent paddleboats, but there were also all these awesome cheese and charcuterie shops around that we wanted to try. We didn't have much time to do both, so we decided to be a bit ridiculous and just take some cheese and a bottle of wine out on the lake - much to the chagrin of some elderly German paddleboat-ticket-taker guy. It ended up being a superb idea, and one of the highlights of that trip.

I think that particular adventure has kind of sat with us over the last couple years, and I know when I think about all the reasons why I love dat girl, a willingness to embrace ridiculousness is pretty far up there...

In any case, we knew you could rent paddleboats at a local state park, so we planned to spend an leisurely afternoon hiking and taking a ride around the lake - again with a picnic. she didn't suspect anything, this just sort of happened to come up, and was pretty much entirely her idea. But, I decided to bring the ring and a bottle of dom perignon along for the ride this time.

she said yes. we ate some epoisses in the middle of a lake and fed some ducks. life was/is good.
:3

High-five buddy

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

bunnielab posted:

I agree with most of this and also feel like all of his folksy letters could end with him raising a pistol to his head and pulling the trigger. There is something really creepy about them.

However, CI was amazingly helpful when I was learning how to cook, they really are very thoroughly written recipes and I like knowing the why behind what I am doing.

It was the same way with me. Alton Brown and CI got me started with very safe recipes that held my hand the entire way. It's a fine resource for beginners but certainly not the One True Way like Kimball would have it.

Congrats mindphlux! Wine and charcuterie on a boat in a lake sounds amazing.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Not this year you don't

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Happy Hat posted:

11 years too late...
Pfff... Creeping up on 19 and I've reached the creepiest point in my relationship with the wife. Ive been with her for more of my life than not. The majority of my time on this planet has been spent with one person that tricked into picking me.

I'm so goddamn lucky I can't stand it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Finally, don't these two things contradict each other? If you were afraid of some mysterious humiliating failure, wouldn't you follow the recipe to the letter?
I think Wrought mentioned it, but it's really uncanny how true those seemingly contradictory statements are. It's why there are various points in my recipes where I'll generally say, "Please don't try to mess with this technique, or ingredient; it will completely gently caress things up if you do", and in spots where I'll flat out tell people to substitute like mad.

Put it to you this way. Suppose there's a book you mostly trust. You have a recipe in mind, and went shopping just to make that thing. You get home, the oven is preheated, pretty much everything is set, but then you realise that you forgot to get olive oil and bought olive oil margarine instead, for some odd reason. And you couldn't find fresh tarragon, so you got dried. And there were none of those "banana peppers" the book asked for, but you found these little green coloured ones called "poblano peppers". Those are close enough, RIGHT? But then, in the book, it doesn't specify where to substitute. So you substitute anyway, either because you don't know any better, or are retarded.

Then, all of a sudden, your kitchen is filled with smoke, the entire dish is way too spicy, and you can't get the smell of burning chiles out of your lungs. And then you blame the book for it, and cooking in general, and become deeply mistrustful of cooking for yourself. It's infuriating to get those letters.

"I know you said to only use canola or peanut oil, but all I had was this extra virgin olive oil, so I put it over high heat like you said to pop the spices. Why did it burn? Now my food tastes disgusting. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR RECIPE."

And I'm like, "Uh. You didn't actually follow it, so nothing is wrong with the recipe, you loving moron."

But in nicer words.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I keep going back and forth between reading books to get techniques, and then use those techniques on something else, to see what happens (real deliciousness has come from that, but also complete and chaotic failure), and following recipes to the letter..

I have not used a bread recipe for at least the last 10 years, and it is a complete wonder why it is so hard for some people, where something as simple as a loving mayo took me countless tries before actually doing something that was ok... I think it was mindphlux in this thread who pointed me in the right direction..

Some of the books needs a bit more explaining on 'why' instead of 'how' - instead of explaining a lot of the culture behind, the beauty of the alps or whatever the gently caress they're ranting about (this was not in reference to your book dino. which I love).

Also - experimenting with bread - just looking into the bowl during the kneading process, and figuring out when it becomes shiny, what then happens, how much hydration you have when it sticks to the walls of the bowl, when it only sticks to the bottom, the meaning of fats in your dough etc. Washing out the gluten, and trying to bake that and see the remarkable rise etc.. You can come a long way by just experimenting a lot

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What's going on with NICSA? I thought it was supposed to be one dish and a simple theme, to encourage posters from all over the forums to join in with GWS.

The curry ICSA is a great example of something that is simple, but gives full vent to people's creative ability, whereas the current NICSA seems needlessly restrictive, again.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
It really feels like the last two NICSA's were hosted by people who really wished they were hosting a full-blown ICSA. I can't think of a single person that would remotely qualify as a cooking "newbie" that would say "What's that? Prepare a magical three-course rainbow of foods, using no artificial flavors, using no colors more than once, while riding a unicorn? Got this."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rj54x posted:

It really feels like the last two NICSA's were hosted by people who really wished they were hosting a full-blown ICSA. I can't think of a single person that would remotely qualify as a cooking "newbie" that would say "What's that? Prepare a magical three-course rainbow of foods, using no artificial flavors, using no colors more than once, while riding a unicorn? Got this."

Yeah, it's a little bit ridiculous, but this is what happens when you have people volunteering time and money to host something like this. They get to set the rules.

I do think perhaps we might encourage easier things in the future, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I keep going back and forth between reading books to get techniques, and then use those techniques on something else, to see what happens (real deliciousness has come from that, but also complete and chaotic failure), and following recipes to the letter..

I have not used a bread recipe for at least the last 10 years, and it is a complete wonder why it is so hard for some people, where something as simple as a loving mayo took me countless tries before actually doing something that was ok... I think it was mindphlux in this thread who pointed me in the right direction..

Some of the books needs a bit more explaining on 'why' instead of 'how' - instead of explaining a lot of the culture behind, the beauty of the alps or whatever the gently caress they're ranting about (this was not in reference to your book dino. which I love).

Also - experimenting with bread - just looking into the bowl during the kneading process, and figuring out when it becomes shiny, what then happens, how much hydration you have when it sticks to the walls of the bowl, when it only sticks to the bottom, the meaning of fats in your dough etc. Washing out the gluten, and trying to bake that and see the remarkable rise etc.. You can come a long way by just experimenting a lot

:glomp:

well while I'm proud of my mayo, I completely suck at making bread - so give me your secrets! or at least a starting point for a recipe :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

:glomp:

well while I'm proud of my mayo, I completely suck at making bread - so give me your secrets! or at least a starting point for a recipe :(
I just posted a bread thread, but my no-knead thread (some pages in now) is a good starting point! Here it is:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460932&pagenumber=6

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bread thread is shaping up to be good thread.

God drat do I love me some bread.

Had bread for breakfast.

Prolly gonna have bread for lunch.

Yeah! Bread!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Had bread for breakfast.

Yeah! Bread!

Quotin this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mediaphage posted:

Had bread for breakfast.

Yeah! Bread!

Be careful, I wouldn't want you to get hurt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Be careful, I wouldn't want you to get hurt.

Yeah - gently caress macronutrients... mindphlux - writing up my pointers, and will send them to you toot svitee..

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

What's going on with NICSA? I thought it was supposed to be one dish and a simple theme, to encourage posters from all over the forums to join in with GWS.

The curry ICSA is a great example of something that is simple, but gives full vent to people's creative ability, whereas the current NICSA seems needlessly restrictive, again.

how is "be inspired by something" an extraordinary or esoteric challenge? I agree the rainbow challenge was out there and weird, but these rules don't restrict the cooking whatsoever, you could probably pick out a movie that fits whatever you made afterwards. honestly the curry one is more restrictive imo... you have to make everything taste like curry

plus, for someone who doesn't regularly cook at home, scenes in movies are probably better sources of food ideas/memories/inspiration than their own experiences.

I actually think this nicsa is really awesome.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown:

We have reservations at your restaurant for tomorrow at 6:30 :woop:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

Pfff... Creeping up on 19 and I've reached the creepiest point in my relationship with the wife. Ive been with her for more of my life than not. The majority of my time on this planet has been spent with one person that tricked into picking me.

I'm so goddamn lucky I can't stand it.
Yeah, this...

Also - we're old!

At what age is it ok to start treat all the young people overbearing?

I mean - I actually look forward to being that guy..

I still remember one of my buddies grandmothers, back when I was 15, and had just gotten a 13 in math (like an A++) at the final exam at public school..

Her comment was 'so do you think that will make you happier in life? I have never met someone who was good at school who were any good in life!'

To the story is attached that she was German nobility from a major house who had been active in the resistance, had been caught and subsequently executed with a pistol shot to the forehead and left for dead (back of head was for peasants), after which she walked more than 300km to get out of the occupied zone with a bullet rattling in her brain. She couldn't bike, because her balance had been damaged too much.

So one hell of a tough lady.

I want to start doing that to the young people!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
i hope everything we send you is as pretty as your food pictures :ohdear:

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Yeah, this...

Also - we're old!

At what age is it ok to start treat all the young people overbearing?

I mean - I actually look forward to being that guy..

I still remember one of my buddies grandmothers, back when I was 15, and had just gotten a 13 in math (like an A++) at the final exam at public school..

Her comment was 'so do you think that will make you happier in life? I have never met someone who was good at school who were any good in life!'

To the story is attached that she was German nobility from a major house who had been active in the resistance, had been caught and subsequently executed with a pistol shot to the forehead and left for dead (back of head was for peasants), after which she walked more than 300km to get out of the occupied zone with a bullet rattling in her brain. She couldn't bike, because her balance had been damaged too much.

So one hell of a tough lady.

I want to start doing that to the young people!

Let me get this straight: you want to shoot young people in the head and force them to walk across the country? I knew you were hard on your employees, but sheesh, HH.

<note to self: do not drop by HH's house with chilis again>

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Dane posted:

Let me get this straight: you want to shoot young people in the head and force them to walk across the country? I knew you were hard on your employees, but sheesh, HH.

<note to self: do not drop by HH's house with chilis again>

he's really getting this American thing down

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Well.. no..

But I want to start regaling young people with stories that have no end, no morale, and which are completely unrelated to any situation they're in - then make them feel inadequate for performing well on any other scale than my own...

That or starting to take out my teeth at parties, and showing them to the 4-8 year olds of the place, and tell them how I got them off a dead man in a trench...

Ahh.. the memories of childhood!

Edit: Back then the elderly had a sense of humor!

Edit2: Back in my days, the elderly was of better quality than the elderly of today!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
First expensive plate of the holiday parties!

Gran Marnier glazed chicken breat with carrot risotto, green beans almondine, Gran Marnier infused cranberry relish with roasted garlic demiglace.

Tomorrow night I've got 20 bone in tenders. $58 per :chef:

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
been a bit since I've posted around here, was poking around for the food network annoyance thread, am I blind or is it gone now?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It's gone. It was a casualty of Whirled Peas Month.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

i hope everything we send you is as pretty as your food pictures :ohdear:

Excited to eat tonight!!! Two days of wine tasting in Paso Robles and Edna Valley and pretty much everyone we've mentioned your restaurant to said that it was a fantastic place, a few saying that it is their favorite place in the area.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Hardtarget posted:

been a bit since I've posted around here, was poking around for the food network annoyance thread, am I blind or is it gone now?

I think I've seen it in the TV forum.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Excited to eat tonight!!! Two days of wine tasting in Paso Robles and Edna Valley and pretty much everyone we've mentioned your restaurant to said that it was a fantastic place, a few saying that it is their favorite place in the area.

pile of brown, you rock. we are so full and everything was awesome :feelsgood:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks man, glad to hear it. I wanted to sneak out and say hi but it's hard to catch a break sometimes. Glad you enjoyed everything! I don't know how long you and gravette will be in town for but if you'll still be here sun/mon or are into late night we could grab a drink or lunch or something. I live on the edge of town in slo, pretty much adjacent to edna valley.

I don't want to be syrupy or creepy and I don't really hang out/chat with the GWS superstar club often but your food photos are awesome and definitely were/are an inspiration to me on my cooking journey from less than four years ago when everything in my repertoire had "instant" in it to now when I'm working the hot line in a four-star resort. It really makes me feel good that you came in and had an awesome meal.

edit: also the expression on your server's face when she came back to tell me my friend "gravity" was here was pretty priceless

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
probably the most memorable thing I had at next (most likely because I wasn't yet completely goddamn hammered) was the first thing they sent out - a tea/soup/broth/consomme of corn. it was intensely corn flavored, sweet like corn, savory like corn, had huge body, but was completely clear and straw colored.

it was so clear that I asked if they had centrifuged it or something, because all the corn stock I've made has been really cloudy. they were like 'nope, we just charred corn husks and then steeped them like tea' and my mind was blown.

anyways just went to the farmers market today, and couldn't resist grabbing a huge bag of corn husks (for free) from the discard pile. while a few hispanic guys were looking at me like I was absolutely loving nuts.

took them home, rinsed them, threw them on the grill and got them nice and brown. steeped them in just enough water to cover, waited 20 minutes - and goddamn. there it was, the same goddamn dish. seasoning was off, so I added a tbsp or so of sugar and a bit of salt, passed it through some cheesecloth - and it was dead on. absolutely amazing flavor. gave a cup of it to my girl and she was like 'holy poo poo how did you just make the thing we had last weekend'. :)

they just served it straight up, but I simmered some inch thick daikon discs in a dashi/mirin/sugar/soy sauce mixture for about an hour, osaka style, and then made a little scrambled egg/enoki mushroom squares to go with it - with the corn broth poured over.

it was really superb. highly recommend you all try this with the husks/silk next time you eat corn. even if you just have like 2-3 cobs, just use like two or three cups of boiling water, it's awesome.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Charmmi posted:

I think I've seen it in the TV forum.

yup, managed to find it and asked my silly question. Sadly it's not as good a thread as the one you guys had running, they seem to be all serious and what not instead of making fun of the network, but I suppose it'll do!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mindphlux posted:

probably the most memorable thing I had at next (most likely because I wasn't yet completely goddamn hammered) was the first thing they sent out - a tea/soup/broth/consomme of corn. it was intensely corn flavored, sweet like corn, savory like corn, had huge body, but was completely clear and straw colored.

it was so clear that I asked if they had centrifuged it or something, because all the corn stock I've made has been really cloudy. they were like 'nope, we just charred corn husks and then steeped them like tea' and my mind was blown.

anyways just went to the farmers market today, and couldn't resist grabbing a huge bag of corn husks (for free) from the discard pile. while a few hispanic guys were looking at me like I was absolutely loving nuts.

took them home, rinsed them, threw them on the grill and got them nice and brown. steeped them in just enough water to cover, waited 20 minutes - and goddamn. there it was, the same goddamn dish. seasoning was off, so I added a tbsp or so of sugar and a bit of salt, passed it through some cheesecloth - and it was dead on. absolutely amazing flavor. gave a cup of it to my girl and she was like 'holy poo poo how did you just make the thing we had last weekend'. :)

they just served it straight up, but I simmered some inch thick daikon discs in a dashi/mirin/sugar/soy sauce mixture for about an hour, osaka style, and then made a little scrambled egg/enoki mushroom squares to go with it - with the corn broth poured over.

it was really superb. highly recommend you all try this with the husks/silk next time you eat corn. even if you just have like 2-3 cobs, just use like two or three cups of boiling water, it's awesome.

Hahah that's loving wild. Sounds great.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

This is why I read this forum..

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Seriously? Just corn husk? How the gently caress did anyone think of making this? This is awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Seriously? Just corn husk? How the gently caress did anyone think of making this? This is awesome.

yeah, they explained it that way too. they were like 'after we realized corn husks were so awesome, we were kicking ourselves for months for throwing them out'

I personally think it must have come from some health nutso trend thing - if you google corn husk tea you get all this bullshit about bladder health and PMS'ing and kidney health - so it was at least on *someone*'s radar before next picked it up.

but anyways, I live for these 'who the gently caress thought of this poo poo' moments in food. gotta say that eating at next was probably the first expensive rear end dinner I've had in a couple years where I've just been like 'holy poo poo.'

which makes it all worthwhile. :)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hey mindphlux you cannot be messaged..

Edit: I have written you an open letter in the bread thread!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 19, 2012

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The GF has a friend in New Hampshire who runs a small restaurant with some very excellent food. Last time we were there, he served us some sweet corn ice cream, which was utterly fantastic. He mentioned that steeping fluid from toasted corn husks was one of the flavor components.

EDIT: I suppose you need fresh ones for this? Like, the dried ones I keep in the basement for tamales are no good, right?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, they explained it that way too. they were like 'after we realized corn husks were so awesome, we were kicking ourselves for months for throwing them out'

I personally think it must have come from some health nutso trend thing - if you google corn husk tea you get all this bullshit about bladder health and PMS'ing and kidney health - so it was at least on *someone*'s radar before next picked it up.

but anyways, I live for these 'who the gently caress thought of this poo poo' moments in food. gotta say that eating at next was probably the first expensive rear end dinner I've had in a couple years where I've just been like 'holy poo poo.'

which makes it all worthwhile. :)

Maybe this helps explain why corn grilled with the husk on is so much better than cooked any other way.

Mindphlux, you are doing good things for humanity here.