Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I have Dishonored and as good as the game and art style is there are plenty of low-res textures and stuff.

Max Payne 3. Good idea but I need to wait for a steam sale on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I have 32 years worth of a journal I have to scour through for my research but I need to provide a preliminary report about the sources I intend to use. I'm not sure which articles will be of note and which won't; is there a way to cite an entire journal or multiple years worth of a journal in Chicago style?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

I have Dishonored and as good as the game and art style is there are plenty of low-res textures and stuff.

Max Payne 3. Good idea but I need to wait for a steam sale on that one.
That's true. I just love the style. Did you try the high-res asset packs / mods for Crysis 2? Those are pretty sick. He'll even HL2 Cinematic Mod is holding up years later.

Also Battlefield 3.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I have 32 years worth of a journal I have to scour through for my research but I need to provide a preliminary report about the sources I intend to use. I'm not sure which articles will be of note and which won't; is there a way to cite an entire journal or multiple years worth of a journal in Chicago style?

I always chickened out and used MLA when I knew I could get away with it (loyalties divided between history and English departments at a tight-knit college), and while I do have CMS taking up space on my lap right now, I wonder if this helps without me having to fumble uselessly through the book?

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 19, 2012

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Raimundus posted:

I'm about to visit a temp agency about a job I was offered. I've already interviewed with the employer.

Should I dress up to visit the temp agency, or are my civvies good enough?

Every time you are visiting a potential employer you are making an impression. Make a good one. People are shallow, abuse their simple sensibilities and make yourself look better than the next schlub.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

greazeball posted:

Every time you are visiting a potential employer you are making an impression. Make a good one. People are shallow, abuse their simple sensibilities and make yourself look better than the next schlub.
Good advice, but it's useful to consider that a suit and tie is not always the best impression. Suitable dress isn't as simple as max formalwear.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

randyest posted:

Good advice, but it's useful to consider that a suit and tie is not always the best impression. Suitable dress isn't as simple as max formalwear.

That's definitely true, you basically want to match the office dress code. If I were in the OP's position though, my civvies would be very different from work attire at most places.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

randyest posted:

My next online persona is going to be named Max Formalwear now, thank you.

On topic, I've always heard that you should dress like your boss for an interview (gender appropriate obviously). So if your office dress code says the grunts are business casual, but your boss wears a suit M-F, bring a suit to the interview.

For a temp agency, if you've already done the interview with the employer, business casual should be fine, but nothing "lower" than that.

EDIT:VVVV Congratulations!

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 19, 2012

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

ladyweapon posted:

I always wore business casual (slacks + button up) when visiting temp agencies for any reason.

greazeball posted:

randyest posted:

CzarChasm posted:

For a temp agency, if you've already done the interview with the employer, business casual should be fine, but nothing "lower" than that.

Thanks guys. Wore pants, a button-up and a tie. You'll be pleased to know that I got the job.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

EDIT: I misread the context of the letter so what I've said here is probably extra-wrong.

Added Space posted:

I got a weird letter from a German hotel. It's handwritten, but the handwriting is horrible cursive. I tried to dump it into online translators but there's so many vague letters that they don't recognize any of the words. Can anyone figure this out?

I'm going to use ? to represent a vague letter that might be a cursive l, e, i, or possibly two of them make up a u. The "d"s may also be "cl"s

Hallo (name),

L?ie? ??od? ???al die Origi?al? z?i? ??i??e xl??ift. Bitte auf jede??? 2x ?i??deheoeibeu ???id ?i?? ofed? zu???d? jeudeu. F?? gaut ??d?tig.

Heab Edui gauf doll lieb.

(name)

Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

This is a fun puzzle, but I'm not getting very far.

code:

L?ie? | Liebe | Dear

??od? | ????? | somebody's name

???al | ?     | ?

die Origi?al? z?i? | I want to say die Originale Zeit? But that doesn't quite make sense. The original something or other.

??i??e xl??ift. | Beats me. I have a feeling that x is an S and that f is an s. The only word that comes to mind is Florist, which is probably wrong.

Bitte auf jede??? | jede??? might be jedem, meaning "on every" or something

2x ?i??deheoeibeu | 2x = 2 mal = two times. And I don't know, but that jumble of a word is probably a masculine noun and that last u is probably actually an n. That word is an impossible combination of letters so the transcription is wrong.

???id ?i?? ofed? zu???d? jeudeu. F?? gaut ??d?tig. | No idea. The last two words might be "ganz wichtig" or 'really important,' or the last word might be richtig which means correct.

Heab Edui gauf doll lieb. | I have a hunch this means "(name) sends his/her love."

Look out for s that looks like f, ß that looks like tz, and it seems like you're confusing u with n. Take a look at Sütterlin, copperplate script, and some blackletter styles to decode letter-by-letter. Then if you have accurate but partial transcriptions of words, use a crossword helper like this one:

http://dieloesung.jo2ko.de/

And for full but possibly inaccurate transcriptions, use the spelling suggestions at google.de.

Then for translation, use leo.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

My next online persona is going to be named Max Formalwear now, thank you.
Max Payne, Max Power, ... how did I not know to copyright or whatever Max Formalwear? :argh: ;) Could be interesting name for the right band too!

Raimundus posted:

Thanks guys. Wore pants, a button-up and a tie. You'll be pleased to know that I got the job.
Congrats Raimundus! We are pleased and wish you the best success at your new gig.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to get reading recommendations based on books/authors I've read and enjoyed? Something like Amazon's recommended for you functionality.

If you rate books you've read on Amazon, it will base its suggestions for you on those ratings. I find it's pretty good at picking out stuff I'll like. Or is there some reason why you can't use Amazon for this?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So the bulb in my mom's lamp recently burned out, and she just bought a new one. Problem is, the new bulb doesn't fit in (the old one just popped right out) and we have no idea why. Any ideas?

Here's the head of the lamp:

Here's the new bulb:

And here's the part where the bulb goes in:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to get reading recommendations based on books/authors I've read and enjoyed? Something like Amazon's recommended for you functionality.

Get your rear end to goodreads, pronto!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Lance Streetman posted:

So the bulb in my mom's lamp recently burned out, and she just bought a new one. Problem is, the new bulb doesn't fit in (the old one just popped right out) and we have no idea why. Any ideas?

Do you have the old bulb still? There's two different types of those reading lamp style halogen bulbs, and one is definitely bigger than the other.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Do you have the old bulb still? There's two different types of those reading lamp style halogen bulbs, and one is definitely bigger than the other.

We tried the old bulb, but it didn't fit in either. It's a bit of a moot point, since she's said she's going to throw it out and pulled a new one out of the garage.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I found this picture as a background image on a website, but it is blacked out in the middle. I didn't have any luck with google image search. Can anybody find me the original, non blacked out, version of this image?

Huge version

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
When I get responses to an ad I posted on freecycle, even if they are from multiple people, the emails have the same subject line and so they come together as if it's one conversation. I am using gmail, and I really would like these emails to be separated. How can I do this?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Robin Sparkles posted:

When I get responses to an ad I posted on freecycle, even if they are from multiple people, the emails have the same subject line and so they come together as if it's one conversation. I am using gmail, and I really would like these emails to be separated. How can I do this?

Try Settings - General - Conversation View Off. Does that do the trick?

E: Awesome. :)

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 20, 2012

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Liebfraumilch posted:

Try Settings - General - Conversation View Off. Does that do the trick?

Perfect! Thank you :D

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why do foreign countries change the intro sequences of imported TV shows? See these examples:

Dallas (France)
Inspector Gadget (Italy)
Pokémon (Italy)
Gobots (France)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
They're dubbing all of the dialogue lines, why shouldn't they dub/replace the intro songs too (when they have lyrics)? Also in some cases there may be music rights issues.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I got new curtains a couple weeks ago, and they smell odd. I've washed them twice now, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any advice on how to deodorize curtains?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

hooah posted:

My wife and I got new curtains a couple weeks ago, and they smell odd. I've washed them twice now, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any advice on how to deodorize curtains?

Put a cup of vinegar in the washing machine and air dry them after.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Could anyone recommend a piece of good carry-on luggage? I don't mind spending a lot if it's worth it.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

hooah posted:

Do they match the carpet?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Abel Wingnut posted:

Could anyone recommend a piece of good carry-on luggage? I don't mind spending a lot if it's worth it.

Travelpro makes awesome luggage. I have a 20" carryon from them that's put up with serious abuse. They're great.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Are there any vegetables that are more expensive in the summer than they are in the winter? Or in fact, any product that is more expensive to produce in summer? I'm talking about price for the manufacturer to make it rather than for the consumer to buy it.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Erm. My turn for a Gmail question, apparently:

Woke my computer after an hour away today to find my little camera icon turned into a plain dot on Gchat. After a little mindless fumbling, Gmail prompted me to download and install voice and video chat. Then once I got this sorted, which took all of fifteen seconds, I see that some of my other chat settings have been changed today--the most egregious being:

"Automatically allow people I communicate with often to chat with me and see when I'm online." (NNNOOOOoooooo!)

...was checked instead of the wonderful elusive...

"Only allow people that I've explicitly approved to chat with me and see when I'm online."

Everything seemed to be in shape before I left earlier, camera icon shining proudly, so is this happening to users across the board or what? I've had video chat enabled for about a million years now, and none of this is really new to me so why are my settings hosed out of the blue? I'm kind of pissed that I have to comb through everything to make sure my account is on its usual hermit-level lockdown.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Experto Crede posted:

Put a cup of vinegar in the washing machine and air dry them after.

In addition to the detergent? And would I just run the washer empty once or twice after to make sure my clothes don't smell like vinegar?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

hooah posted:

In addition to the detergent? And would I just run the washer empty once or twice after to make sure my clothes don't smell like vinegar?

Yes, and no. Don't put more than a cup of vinegar in, once the fabric is dry it should not retain any vinegar smell (or any bad scent at all). Vinegar rinses are also nice for your hair! Same thing, don't use to much and once it's dry, no smell.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Baron Bifford posted:

Why do foreign countries change the intro sequences of imported TV shows? See these examples:

Dallas (France)
Inspector Gadget (Italy)
Pokémon (Italy)
Gobots (France)

Different countries have different laws and regulations on the amount of commercials allowed in a time block. It could just be that they're padding time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you dance at a club? Is there even a way to, just do your own thing? This is a serious question.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently sick and my family doctor recommended that he prescribes me amoxicillin. However, I looked through my medicine cabinet and I found an unopen bottle of Amoxicillin, still sealed, in the back of the cabinet. It was prescribed in July 2010, and on the Walgreens label says to use before July 2011. It was in a cool and dark place, probably did not even move from the spot I found it in today, so I'm assuming it's still safe to use?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I'm currently sick and my family doctor recommended that he prescribes me amoxicillin. However, I looked through my medicine cabinet and I found an unopen bottle of Amoxicillin, still sealed, in the back of the cabinet. It was prescribed in July 2010, and on the Walgreens label says to use before July 2011. It was in a cool and dark place, probably did not even move from the spot I found it in today, so I'm assuming it's still safe to use?

It won't hurt you, but it will be less effective. Why wouldn't you just get a new prescription? Antibiotics are dirt cheap. Some pharmacies even fill them for free.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Is there a freeware that can easily backup movie DVDs? ashampoo can only do data and other than that there seems to be a lot of sketchy "3 burns and buy a license" stuff.

i'm not :filez:, I'm doing some dumb old people computer stuff for my mom.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 21, 2012

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Florida Betty posted:

It won't hurt you, but it will be less effective. Why wouldn't you just get a new prescription? Antibiotics are dirt cheap. Some pharmacies even fill them for free.

Because my doctor charges a ridiculous co-pay due to my lovely insurance and will not, under any circumstances, fill me a prescription over the phone.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Avocados posted:

How do you dance at a club? Is there even a way to, just do your own thing? This is a serious question.

Hoping this isn't a Saturday night emergency. I cannot dance to save my life, but my counter-question could maybe help someone who can answer yours better: What kind of club? Top 40? One of a million sub-genres of EDM?

I have about two years constant exposure to the latter in rather intimate venues, and (with the exception of DnB) everyone silently communicated they were too cool to dance and settled with tilting their glass to the DJ now and then from their tables or couches, pursing their lips--eyes twinkling with jolly admiration--and nodding in approval. Serious answer, unfortunately. No matter how great the atmosphere was, I swear it was a rare soul that danced. If it was packed, people tend to feel more confident and do some self-aware semi-tongue-in-cheek grinding with their date for a few minutes. If the dance floor and walkways are sparsely occupied, one or two people doing some professional moves are going to either feel like utter tools or look like utter tools.

Safety in numbers, I guess?

Or, well, this, when in doubt.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

CatchrNdRy posted:

Is there a freeware that can easily backup movie DVDs? ashampoo can only do data and other than that there seems to be a lot of sketchy "3 burns and buy a license" stuff.

i'm not :filez:, I'm doing some dumb old people computer stuff for my mom.

dvd43 works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

dokmo posted:

dvd43 works for me.

Thanks. From reading the descript it appears that DVD43 needs to use a front-end DVD program in conjunction with it. This is something I'm going to have to teach my mom, so, what DVD copy program do you run with it?