Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was going to pick an appropriate pictorial result from Oblivion Nexus to respond with, but I honestly don't have the willpower right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I can't express how odd it is, on a base level, to see Kat with a speech bubble.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kazerad posted:

Hahaha, yes, but it will need some backstory. Someone posted this image in a Prequel thread on 4chan and an anon started criticizing it for giving Boxdog too much muscle definition. So I jumped in and replied with :nms: "What's the matter, anon? Afraid of a strong dog-woman's body?". I didn't expect Weaver to actually see and/or appreciate it.

This is both :stonk: and :catstare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hack in clothes, as in player.additem 0012DD1E 1 :negative:

edit i don't jokes good.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 4, 2012

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.
Hey everyone, I have a new release of the comic reader at http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/ with the new format and all of the updates up to the second dream sequence. If you see any problems, let me know and I'll get them fixed. Next step is making a downloadable version to share with people in your life who might enjoy the comic. Maybe children, grandparents, your local religious leader..

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I do enjoy how not only do the suggestion providers not deserve nice things, they go actively out of their way to ruin them. Quest log gone already, hahahhaha.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
And of course it doesn't matter that she didn't get drunk last night because she still caused as much damage as if she had. :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Baby steps, Kat :ohdear:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Welp, we broke the quest log already. :argh:

At least we might get an Arena Rainment out of this. Finally, some proper armor!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is going swimmingly! (no it isn't)

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

IronSaber posted:

Welp, we broke the quest log already. :argh:

At least we might get an Arena Rainment out of this. Finally, some proper armor!

If we're going to get issued any clothing, it's going to be an official arena skimpy exotic dancer outfit, not armor.

Edit: Also, dammit, We didn't manage to talk to Martin! Or at least, we didn't get to have Martin say something to us, and then we bolt out the door because he has a sinister aura about him for some reason Katia can't quite place, yet strangely, he also seems almost familiar somehow....

But seriously, I'm curious about how he'd adress Katia. Like, would he be pissed at her for trashing the place and yell at her? Or just restrain himself and firmly ask us to leave like Weedum-Ja? Or maybe even be saintlike and genuinely offer us help?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 8, 2012

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

armoredgorilla posted:

I do enjoy how not only do the suggestion providers not deserve nice things, they go actively out of their way to ruin them. Quest log gone already, hahahhaha.

If you don't have a lot of experience making to-do lists (or have tons of people working on one list) this can happen where you start putting down every little thing and have something that's just as useless as not having a list in the first place. Might as well toss it now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And she had a perfectly good to-do list with priority columns and everything before.

Stupid vanilla oblivion questlog.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Guys, we can fix this.

Just replace the quest log with an active quests list. :downs:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I noticed that Katia has lost her lockpick! :ohdear:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's implicit with the Katia class. :eng101:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
It will show up again when she is least likely to need it.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
Let's be honest here: if she still had the lockpick, there would be a thousand commands telling her to go stick it in the Mages Guild door where it would promptly get snapped in half because she has no idea how to use it. At least now we can rest easy knowing the poor lockpick is alive and well, awaiting heroic rescue that may or may not ever arrive.

Sindow posted:

Hey everyone, I have a new release of the comic reader at http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/ with the new format and all of the updates up to the second dream sequence. If you see any problems, let me know and I'll get them fixed. Next step is making a downloadable version to share with people in your life who might enjoy the comic. Maybe children, grandparents, your local religious leader..

I know I've said it before but I like how this is shaping up! Two minor gripes though: it'd be nice if the sound quality on the older Flash pages was a bit higher (I can get you the FLA source for them if you need it!) and if all the flash pages still had their sound/art credits somewhere. People worked hard on those, and they mostly weren't me!

In other news, I'm thinking I should probably get around to recording Youtube versions of the Flash animations this week, since there's still people out there who are unable to run Excelsior/Enter. Anyone here experienced with video playthroughs and have any tips? I'm particularly interested in how long I should leave the text up, or whether I should do anything special to make it more readable. Beyond that my current plan is pretty much just to do a single high-quality take in Webinaria.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I think I've seen that the generally suggested time to leave text up is 1.5 - 2 times as long as it takes you to read it. Especially since you typed it up, you're likely to read it faster by default.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Read each line out loud to yourself. It'll force you to slow down, but still keep the timing natural.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why not go whole hog and have the lines voiced? I'm sure there are readers who'd be happy to provide readings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phylodox posted:

Why not go whole hog and have the lines voiced? I'm sure there are readers who'd be happy to provide readings.

Because it will sound cringeworthy unless he has a professional voice actor willing to do this. He also needs someone willing to commit to an indefinite timeline to do voices at short notice.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
All the lines already exist. With a text dump and some voice actors all that could be done pretty quick. Certainly long before the actual video and acting plans would be compiled. The only thing you might want to consider is whether or not you'd plan on doing more in the future and if voice actor consistency is important.

That said this is a thing I've done in the past and I'd be more than willing to help out if you had any interest at all, as would likely any one of us over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461287

Would probably need to extend the search needed for some strong female work though. Not enough female regulars in the VA thread as I'd like.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

JossiRossi posted:

All the lines already exist. With a text dump and some voice actors all that could be done pretty quick.

That sounds like a goon project to me! :iamafag:

Kazerad posted:

I know I've said it before but I like how this is shaping up! Two minor gripes though: it'd be nice if the sound quality on the older Flash pages was a bit higher (I can get you the FLA source for them if you need it!) and if all the flash pages still had their sound/art credits somewhere. People worked hard on those, and they mostly weren't me!

Sure, I'll get the credits in and if you want to PM me a link to the FLA files or your IM info or something, that would be great. The audio is being compressed twice right now (audio I have is from decompiling the swf file) so I'm not surprised it sounds bad.

When I did an LP, I would read the text out loud like I would read a bed-time story to a kid, then wait another few seconds. It can be easy to actually read too slowly in some cases, but it's pretty easy to get a hang of. The timing was usually pretty good and if anyone reads really slowly or something they can always pause the video.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
After thinking about it some more I ended up just making some simple pages that summarize the animation with screenshots and text. Video playthroughs could have been fun, but I wanted to make sure people were still encouraged to play the games/animations themselves if they could. Along those same lines, I didn't want anyone feeling forced to watch the animations to make sure they didn't miss anything. The result isn't particularly impressive, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's guaranteed to run on about any device (thus ensuring everyone can get up to speed) and can double as a rough "walkthrough" for someone who just wants help seeing everything.

If someone still wants to make and upload fully voiced playthroughs of course, I'm not gonna stop them :v:. It's nothing I'd want to lead myself, though. Hunting and auditioning for good voice actors is a painstaking endeavor I'd rather only do once every couple years.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

:allears: best armor

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The funny thing is that getting lost and somehow winding up in Lordran would be perfectly consistent with Katia's wretched luck.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

:allears: best armor

I am all in favor for some Jolly Co-Op in Oblivion.

Also, hopefully we can get Katia to wash up at the Basin of Renewal and get that eyeball fully healed. Still looks pretty bad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

IronSaber posted:

I am all in favor for some Jolly Co-Op in Oblivion.

Also, hopefully we can get Katia to wash up at the Basin of Renewal and get that eyeball fully healed. Still looks pretty bad.

Yeah, that eye seems like a problem. Sudden loss of depth perception before a dance contest? Could have consequences.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
yellow : skin color :: Katia : human

You know what's going to happen.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

And last Dark souls thing I force.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dolash posted:

Yeah, that eye seems like a problem. Sudden loss of depth perception before a dance contest? Could have consequences.

I hope she isn't like, permanently blinded.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolash posted:

Grapplejack posted:

I remind you that Kazerad reads this thread.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the plus side, eyepatches can look pretty badass. :yarr:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I remind you that Kazerad reads this thread.

3 comics later: Katia's lost the other eye, every panel is black, and Kazerad has found a way to deliver smell via CSS witchery.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Ursine Asylum posted:

3 comics later: Katia's lost the other eye, every panel is black, and Kazerad has found a way to deliver smell via CSS witchery.

Back before some of the optimizations on the stairs page we could fairly reliably produce a burning smell.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

On the plus side, eyepatches can look pretty badass. :yarr:

Only if the way the person lost an eye is badass. Losing an eye cause you forgot you can only use your eye powers once per day is kinda weaksauce.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ursine Asylum posted:

How about delivering the whole comic via audio which the readers must interpret in order to figure out what to suggest next?

But no voice acting, so you just hear the sound of the textual dialog popping up on the screen that Katia can no longer see.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Kazerad posted:

Back before some of the optimizations on the stairs page we could fairly reliably produce a burning smell.

Given the recent escapades that's probably all you would actually need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Grapplejack posted:

Don't worry, remember the arena will have a basin of renewal, a magical tub thing that fully heals all contestants after a match. So basically no matter what happens in the arena, Katia will get her eye fixed.

Hey Kazerad, how do you always seem to find the /co/ threads? Do you just lurk /co/ after an update, or do you have some kind of bot that detects when a Prequel thread happens somehow?

• Locked thread