Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Talmonis posted:

I'm not sure what time you would be running Tias, as I'm on the US East coast.

It depends on where you are, but using New York as an example, I am approx. 6 hours ahead. So if I wanted to pull a long day with you I might start at 1 pm, which is 7 am in New York. Start a little later in the day and it would probably work, unless you work on weekends?

Get a char to me soon if you want in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Alright, so I'm playing a technomancer face in my current game and we just got, well, a fuckload of money. Like, a lot. I have something like 100-200k to do whatever I want with, which is way more than I really need.

Is there any, any tech that technomancers can use to help themselves out? I can't find loving anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Swags posted:

Alright, so I'm playing a technomancer face in my current game and we just got, well, a fuckload of money. Like, a lot. I have something like 100-200k to do whatever I want with, which is way more than I really need.

Is there any, any tech that technomancers can use to help themselves out? I can't find loving anything.

What do you have so far? Pretty much every character can benefit from supathyroid gland or mnemonic enhancers or other various bioware stuff that is both essence and nuyen cheap. Cerebral booster is great for technomancers, and there's plenty of good face stuff for bioware.

Edit: Alternatively get a maxed out commlink and agent and have a computer do your job better than you do (or alongside you if you want to get double the actions).

Piell fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 7, 2012

Tias
May 25, 2008

A tricked out commlink can be good when you want to conceal the fact that you're emerged, yet still like to hack - then you can spring the nasty surprises on people once they've locked you up and taken away your commlink.

For faces, tailored pheromones all the way - you can also go nano/cyber-augs like retinal duplicators, voice mask, all that freaky poo poo, but the bottomline should be the impression you leave on others, where pheromones really make the cut.

E: And people who want in on the IRC game should move now, or I'll start with the 3 chars I have, and you'll have to wait till job 2.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 7, 2012

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm looking for a new player or two - I've just lost my mage to RL, and the hacker is having to take an extended break.

The game runs saturday afternoon at GMT - the actual time may well be changing, but currently is 4:00pm GMT - but will most likley go forward by two hours to 6:00pm GMT, maybe even 7:00pm.

I use a virtual tabletop program called fantasy grounds 2, and have the unlimited licence that allows anyone to connect to me for free. (its the same program I'm using for my Rogue Trader LP)

If your interested, we have a thread here.

Any level of experiance will be considered, but new applicents must be ameniable to TV work and Cockatrice chicks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm ready to run an IRC game, but I don't know anything about IRC :(

When I GM'ed Dark Heresy, a kind player set up a SynIRC room with a dice-rolling bot inside, and that's basically all I need. Now I can't get hold of him, so does anyone know how to do that?

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All you need to make an IRC channel is join it in your IRC client. Well, you might want to register it so you'll know you'll get op regardless of who joins and leaves the channel and when. Ask NickServ about how to register your nick first (/msg NickServ help will give you general instructions, and also see /msg NickServ help register), once you're identified you can register the channel with ChanServ (/msg ChanServ help etc.). Having op means you can change the channel title, kick out annoying people if any should wander in (I don't think there's many on SynIRC, but you do occasionally get spammers or people speaking Italian and looking for XDCC bots on most networks), and so forth.

For a Shadowrun dicebot you might want to try out Servitor Bot or Riggy, those seem fairly easy to run.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Once again, the SR thread comes through for me <3 Thanks a lot!

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to ask some advice here, for a game coming in the near future.

While our GM is experienced as can be, as players we're all fairly new. I've played one game myself short-term in the past, as a terrible mage, so while I am somewhat familiar with the system, I am missing a lot. Which comes to my point.

As the 'most' experienced player, I've been volunteered to be the group Rigger. After looking over the rules and such, I'm actually looking forward to it. Problem is, it's also complex as hell and I'm sure that there are a myriad number of ways to gently caress up and get everyone killed.

So, looking for advice on traps to avoid, stuff to go for right off, and all the little things that you don't see until you're really deep in and the rules ream you out. The idea of the campaign to start, is very novice shadowrunners, and lower power in general, so some things like really pricy bioware and other equipment is likely out.

From thread-reading, I saw it mentioned that a technomancer makes a better rigger than your average guy, and that it revolves around registered sprites? What would be a good all-purpose drone or two to start with? Should I get the van (I keep hearing a real rigger needs a van, minimum)?

How paranoid is too paranoid, with regards to wireless security? What are good methods to stop others from really loving with drones I have deployed on the hacking side, outside of getting the hacker to babysit them? Is there any real way to create a truly wireless, yet unfuckable-with connection to a drone? If not, what's the next best thing?

Just mainly advice and tips, and the like, is what I am really after here. Thank you!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Moinkmaster posted:

I'd like to ask some advice here, for a game coming in the near future.

While our GM is experienced as can be, as players we're all fairly new. I've played one game myself short-term in the past, as a terrible mage, so while I am somewhat familiar with the system, I am missing a lot. Which comes to my point.

As the 'most' experienced player, I've been volunteered to be the group Rigger. After looking over the rules and such, I'm actually looking forward to it. Problem is, it's also complex as hell and I'm sure that there are a myriad number of ways to gently caress up and get everyone killed.

So, looking for advice on traps to avoid, stuff to go for right off, and all the little things that you don't see until you're really deep in and the rules ream you out. The idea of the campaign to start, is very novice shadowrunners, and lower power in general, so some things like really pricy bioware and other equipment is likely out.

From thread-reading, I saw it mentioned that a technomancer makes a better rigger than your average guy, and that it revolves around registered sprites? What would be a good all-purpose drone or two to start with? Should I get the van (I keep hearing a real rigger needs a van, minimum)?

How paranoid is too paranoid, with regards to wireless security? What are good methods to stop others from really loving with drones I have deployed on the hacking side, outside of getting the hacker to babysit them? Is there any real way to create a truly wireless, yet unfuckable-with connection to a drone? If not, what's the next best thing?

Just mainly advice and tips, and the like, is what I am really after here. Thank you!

Adepts make the best riggers or hackers since they can get powers that help improve those abilities. Technomancers suck in general.

As a first time player I would recommend not playing any riggers or hackers - see if your GM will let you hire an NPC to help. The rules are so overwhelming and confusing even to someone like me who has followed the game for 20 years.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Technomancers tend to fall behind Hackers except, usually, in That One Thing He Does Best. They're sort of very specialized hackers. You WILL want splat books though.

Technomancers have two main strengths from what I recall. They can super, super specialize in something (like stealth) (use stealth), and they can compile sprites. Sprites are more or less their way of having versatility, and from what I recall the common role of a Technomancer is Throw Sprites At It Until It Works. The Machine Sprite for example is sort of a "rigger as backup."

Take all this with some salt as I've never made a hacker and go only by what I've read elsewhere.

Also, again working on memory, adepts are great for a lot of things, but cybered adepts are the way to go. Dropping a point or two of Magic and Essence is worth it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What sort of cyber would be good for Adepts? Wired reflexes are too invasive, and the bio equivalent is pricy as hell.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tias posted:

What sort of cyber would be good for Adepts? Wired reflexes are too invasive, and the bio equivalent is pricy as hell.

Not much beyond eyes and ears. Bio is where it's at.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm guessing command, hacking and infil adepts benefits the most from cyber. That makes sense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bigass Moth posted:

Not much beyond eyes and ears. Bio is where it's at.

Eyes and ears always struck me as being terrible when you could easily get earbuds, glasses, and/or contacts.

Anyways, it depends on what kind of adept you are. Most benefit from bio, but some non-shooty adepts (face adepts, rigger adepts, etc) can typically afford to give themselves a singly super cybered arm with amazing agility and just use that to gun dudes down and not worry too much about their own agility.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Alright, I'm playing a Technomancer in a game and we just got slightly over 100k for our payday and after weeks and weeks of saving I have about 31 karma.

My initial goal is to Submerge, and use the echo to grab Biowires. I'm highly specialized in Threading, and I want to be able to run and gun if needed. That'll put me at Resonance 6, Submersion 1.

However, a lot of people are telling me I should really check out some of the Bioware that's available and buy that instead. My main question is about how Bioware would affect my Resonance/Submersion type stuff. If I get Bioware, and my Essence goes down to 5.4 or something, my Resonance goes down to 5. Then, since it's not at 6, I can't submerge, right? I can't figure this out or find any official rulings, so help would be most appreciated.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm away from books at present, but I assume it works like the Magic attribute, so you can actually Submerge at any rating, given necessary instruction and karma.

E: Forgot what I came to post :ughh:

My game is apparently down a man again, so if anyone wants in the IRC campaign (it starts friday), private message me ASAP.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, submerging works just like initiating. Submerging raises your maximum resonance, gaining bioware lowers maximum and current.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

I'm away from books at present, but I assume it works like the Magic attribute, so you can actually Submerge at any rating, given necessary instruction and karma.

E: Forgot what I came to post :ughh:

My game is apparently down a man again, so if anyone wants in the IRC campaign (it starts friday), private message me ASAP.

I hope we're not talking about me. I actually have some sort of relative computer/internet access up here this time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Not in the slightest :) Third dude (Ryan?) hasn't answered for a long while.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Recruiting again: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511608

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
So, my 'runners have screwed up a run. Badly. What started as a simple Missing Persons case as a favour for one of their contacts eventually ended up with them killing a very well-known and connected Doctor, without any kind of disguises. (It started as 'this was the last person to see him, we should go have a talk.' kind of thing.) They also botched the Edit attempts to erase their faces from the security cam footage, so when Knight Errant shows up it'll be pretty easy for them to start busting down doors. To top it all off, they made a very public escape by levitating out of a fourth storey window and flying down a busy street while leaving a Guidance Spirit to intercept the incoming Security Officers. I have no idea why the Mage picked a Guidance and not a Fire or Earth Spirit. Something to do with Influence. It worked on one guard out of three.

I stopped them there because I had a very hard time coming up with a reasonable response to that situation that didn't involve them being arrested or gunned down in the street. I'm not sure in what direction I could take this now.

One of the players also sounds like he's ready to press the Reset button on his Mage, but I don't want him to drop another character right in the middle of an adventure.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think gm should give out more free advices (or free warning) to players before they did something stupid. I guess it's a common misconception that gm assume that players know how to act in any situation, although people that panicked will end up doing stupid thing too.

Anyway, aside from some crazy third party intervention of gm, just let them fight it out till they surrender or bleed out to let docswagon/KE-jail-doc takes them in. Then figure out some way to get them out of jail, it could even turn into a few session of jail adventure if you want.

Getting out of jail early would probably require some heavy favor from some Influential contact if the players have any, or have some third party organization/new johnson to bail them out to work off their hour/favor.

If they manage to beat the KE and escape, then it could be a few session of hiding out of sight and have hacker contact or mission to wipe off their bounty and fending off bounty hunter while staying low for a while or just skip town and get new fake ID to start over.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 19, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Well, right now the Hacker thinks he's invincible. He's an Adept with facial sculpting and has been buying up every piece of (non-cyber) gear that helps him blend in to a crowd. He's got 4 different SINs, none of which are actually his. He Spoofs his lifestyle and never walks out the door without a different face on.

The player himself is incredibly cocky - he sent me a text asking if he could just add the items on his Shopping List to his inventory (he's never once shown me this shopping list) despite still being stranded on a rooftop a block away from a murder he just committed. When I told him that his Mage friend is probably going to go to jail because she wasn't wearing a mask, he brushed it off. He thinks he's gotten away with it, and I'd like to bring him down a notch and show him that Knight Errant aren't a street gang with second-hand commlinks.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Hmm, I have no experience in BRINGING IT ON to the cocky player, but it seems like now is a great time to employ your gm arsenal of rules to teach the player a lesson.

Scan and track his comm if he didn't turn if off or isn't a disposable comm then show him the KE-level of MATRIX BEATING or have a watcher spirit following him which he can't do poo poo about that until he know about it and KE will know where he is until he grab a mage to deal with the astral tracking, which would also show him that he need astral mage support to survive and shouldn't had ditched the party mage.

There's also trained KE Animal beast that can recognize his smell (although there's a thing that can get rid of smell).

Anyway, there's really a crapload of ways to destroy a player gimmick. No one can deal with matrix, astral, and physical battle all at once, along with other things, which is the reason you are in a TEAM in the first place.

As for shopping list, just be careful not to allow OP stuff like the one from WAR book or stupid broken stuff like emotitoy or whatever.

Edit: Also follow the buying time rule in the book, don't just give high avil. forbidden item to them so easily. Though they could just RP walking into a shop to get anything legal if you provide them free time or have a contact grab it for them.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 19, 2012

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Well, right now the Hacker thinks he's invincible. He's an Adept with facial sculpting and has been buying up every piece of (non-cyber) gear that helps him blend in to a crowd. He's got 4 different SINs, none of which are actually his. He Spoofs his lifestyle and never walks out the door without a different face on.
First instinct: DNA evidence → manatype matching → identify as an adept or other magically active → discard all surveillance methods that rely on visual cues since they are so easy to circumvent with adept powers and illusion spells → concentrate on astral and technical surveillance and evidence gathering.

quote:

The player himself is incredibly cocky - he sent me a text asking if he could just add the items on his Shopping List to his inventory (he's never once shown me this shopping list) despite still being stranded on a rooftop a block away from a murder he just committed.
As mentioned above, ask him how he's going to get it, being on a rooftop and all, and ask how he goes about making the buy. Also, ask him what's on the list since you need to roll an awful lot of dice to determine how many months it'll take for his contacts to get the order through. Then note that he's using a commlink within a block from where a violent crime took place, meaning that at right this moment, KE matrix overwatch and forensic techs are scouring the area for clues and evidence, and placing an order for a metric ton of illegal ordnance at this point might be… ill advised. Finally, if he's using the same contacts that hooked him up with equipment (and ammo) used in the crime in question and if he has this habit of only hiding himself rather than the evidence left behind, those contacts will already be under surveillance from KE (and will light up instantly when the call is placed), after which you can tap him lightly on the head with a Panther Cannon when he comes to pick the stuff up…

If he uses matrix trickery to hide the call and its contents, make sure he hides it really really well, or the tampering will be detected in real time by the matrix team. Even if they can't crack it right now, this will clue them in that they need more low-tech methods such as ye olde microphone-in-the-headset trick to listen in on future calls to the same contacts.

quote:

When I told him that his Mage friend is probably going to go to jail because she wasn't wearing a mask, he brushed it off. He thinks he's gotten away with it, and I'd like to bring him down a notch and show him that Knight Errant aren't a street gang with second-hand commlinks.
Said mage will be probably go along with a deal that means he won't be stuffed into a bio-enclosed box with a mage-mask on for the next 20 years. In exchange, since he knows the adept's astral signature very well, he'll point this one out to KE's astral tracking team and let them do the rest… bringing us riiiight back to that PC to the head.

In short, if all he's doing is hiding in crowds, then he's still leaving a ton of physical and astral evidence behind and even in the future, that's how a lot of murderers get caught. So one day, he gets out of bed, opens his fridge and gets a SWAT team for breakfast. He's not going to hide in a crown if he's the only person with heart-patterned undies in the room.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

The Hacker just showed me his Shopping List. I felt like I should show it to somebody.

code:

Cost	Avail	Item			
2250	16R	AP 3 Module (Attack 6, Mainlink)			
6600	16R	Armour 6 [Ergonomic, Crashguard](Beachlink)			
	16R	Black Hammer 6 [Crashguard, Area 3, ] (Mainlink)			
1000	8	Cryptosense Module [Sonar] (Mainlink)			
12000	24	Response Enhancer (Mainlink)			
4000	6R	Nonstandard Wireless Links - Rating 1, (3 weapons, 4 sensors/relays, Mainlink)			
500	6	Optimization [+1 to Analyze] (Beachlink)			
500	6	Optimization [+1 to Black Hammer] (Mainlink)			
15000	14	Simsense Accelerator (Mainlink)	

50000	30R	Masking Foci [Force 5, 30 Karma]

I asked him how he would explain buying it.

"I'm legally a Security Spider."
Unemployed Security Spider.
"Of course - as an unemployed Security Specialist I am doing what anybody does when they're looking for work. Diversifying and expanding my skillset."
By spending over 40,000nY on borderline illegal gear when you have no reportable source of income. Completely ignoring the massive red flag pole that just shot out of your rear end.
"But I haven't done anything illegal with it yet!"

I want to send a Kamikazi'd up troll at him now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:ughh:
... well, to be fair, he probably wants to save his team, which must be the only reason he's ordering all these while having KE on his rear end a block away, right? RIGHT?

I don't know how he got that much money and why he didn't order these stuff sooner.

Holy crap this list. I never even thought about cheesing an extra Optimization with a beach link.

Did he really have 30 karma for that masking foci? It would take like 5 hours to bond that thing on the spot.

Well, I think you already know what to do with this, so I will go calm myself down from this. I can fully understand the mentality of this person already.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 20, 2012

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Remind him that unemployed air force pilots are not allowed to buy main battle tanks to “diversify their skill set”, and then it's time for an ID test to see if the SIN holds up. If not (aside from probably sending up a red flag to the cops a block away that someone in the next building just tried to use a forged SIN) it's time to roll for availability… 30R shouldn't take more than a month. :D

Or, failing that, just Al Capone him like you suggest and send IRS after the SIN being used… If those old SR2 adventures are to be believed, all federal agencies have cadres as phys-ad trolls with weapon-focus pole-axes (yay for double reach bonuses) at their beck and call so I'm not entirely sure if the Kamikaze bit is even strictly necessary.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

It gets better. His actual Spider SIN is his real ID, the one he's using to purchase all of this equipment. He's conveniently glossed over the "rolling for availability" part of getting gear and added a couple of Rating 6 Programs to his hacking suite, like Stealth 6, BioFeedback Filter 6, Armor 6 and Attack 6. He told me I approved them. I don't remember doing that.

Also, I checked his money - he's got a lot, but way, waaaay more than he should. He's been ignoring the part of character creation that says only a portion of money carries over, depending on lifestyle. Except he spoofs so much of his Lifestyle that he's closer to Lower instead of Middle. So instead of starting with the 100,000nY he thinks he gets, he only gets about 800nY.

We had a long talk about this. He believes that he needs to stay ahead of the curve because there aren't many players in the group. He thinks that I'm going to throw out wild curveballs that involve armies of peasants with smartguns and waves upon waves of Corporate Security because he thinks I hate stealthy gameplay. He didn't realize that I've been needing to ramp things up to provide a reasonable challenge for the team largely because he's been powergaming so much.

We agreed to slow down the Arms race, at least a little bit, so hopefully I won't have any more problems. He still wants to start with a shitload of Rating 6 software though. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that.

Also, when upgrade software does the old version vanish, or can he use it on other commlinks? I can't find any rules in the book for updating existing software.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I'm assuming he have a R6 Respond and R6 System comm to run those R6 program at rating 6. You should make sure those are not brought from extra nonexistence money. If he won't drop back from BP points to pay for it then slap him with the appropriate In Debt quality.

This is also an example of how one player powergaming that ruined the difficulty for the other players, and you really should make sure your other players can handle it before you ramp up the npc against a powergamer. You should only need to ramp up the matrix side of the game though.

I don't know how far you all are into the game, but a hacker starting the game with 4+ thing in R6 is pretty common from what I seen, the 400 bp should limit him to not have as much program to deal with other situation, I.E. Editing.

By Suite I think you mean Software Suite (Unwired 128), which lucky for you, cannot be upgraded nor equipped with program option.

If it's individual program, I can't find the rule but I believe it's just the same version getting an rating 'upgrade'. He could copy it to other commlink if he crack the copy protection of the program, but let's not go into the piracy rule cause it will just further the arm race even more.

Edit: Oh, upgrade software, let me check...

Edit 2: Can't find anything about it other than Software (SR4A 222) refer to Firewall and System, but it's technically OS upgrade so I would say he can use it if you crack the Software Package and install it on another comm with the same OS since the package is design for that particular OS and for that particular rating.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 20, 2012

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I've had this idea for a while and I cannot quite seem to nail down the build of it. Here it is:

I want to make a Way of the Burnout Adept. I know it's kind of like shooting myself in the dick early on, but I like my idea for it and I think it's kind of cool. Basically, the guy is a spacer with some Yak connections who's since come down to Earth and has gathered a small gang around himself. He's heavily, heavily altered, which sort of makes him come across as the Monkey King, and he just sort of goes with that to be as much of a Monkey King as he can. As far as Orders/Schools, he belongs to the Order of the Phoenix Reborn or whatever it is from that tiny .pdf of additional magical groups.

I'd like him to be a melee powerhouse, but more than 'powerhouse,' a real loving annoyance. Able to bounce all over the place, etc. High gymnastics, running, etc. He'll have armorer, because I want him to build a telescoping staff that is also a shock staff (because, y'know, Monkey King). He should probably look somewhere between this and this . Cybernetic arms from the elbows down, cybernetic legs from the knees down, heavy facial alterations, tail, etc. I'm talking Monkey King here.

I just can't seem to make it work. I know Way of the Adept seriously reduces the Essence cost of Cyberware (you could, for example, take Biocompatibility, and Way of the Adept, and then have less total Essence in Cyberware than Bioware to get 70% off the Essence cost), but paying for 5 (or 6) Magic just to do away with a few of the points is hurtful.

Minor augmentations (eyes, ears, etc) can be covered by contacts/earbuds.
Bioware could be 1.51 Essence, and Cyberware at 1.5 Essence (with Way/Biocompat) gives us all the Cyberware for .45 essence. Hard to fit in two Cyberarms and two Cyberlegs at 1.5 though.
What to fill the Cyberware capacity with?
Which Bioware to take for the Monkey King?
Which Adept powers to take? I was going to take Energy Aura (steam) or something to represent his whole jumping/flying on a cloud thing, enhanced reflexes maybe (maybe save that for when I can buy Wires), super leaping.
Which gear to take? I want to be able to be the super monkey, but I don't really know any gear that specifically fits with that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Do you have to take half cyberlimbs everywhere? Cyberlimb rules are pretty lovely and essence hogs for what they give you. After shooting yourself in the dick, you seem intent on burning the stump here.

That said, you'll want to take to take Synthacardium for sure. Reflex Recorders for the Athletics skill group, Enhanced Articulation, and Muscle Augmentation/Toner are all things that will help you move around. You could give up on buying leg cyberlimbs and just get retractable climbing claws and grip feet and get a similar but much less essence-heavy and cheaper deal. A balance tail also helps you with movement stuff and is cheap in terms of nuyen (but kind of expensive essence-wise). As far as adept powers, take Increased Reflexes if you aren't going to get Synaptic Boosters or take up a drug habit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, cyberlimbs basically have two uses.

1) Paying a boatload of essence for devices and gear you can smuggle into a building for characters with relatively low physical stats.

2) Buying one cyberlimb, spiking it's Agility, and using it for firearms or blades checks, again for people with relatively low physical stats.

Anything else, and the high esssence, combined with the fact that cyberlimbs don't mirror your base stats, means limbs are pretty useless.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Is there a good site that just kind of has a repository of NPC characters/grunts/gangers for use? I'm coming up with a plot synopsis but the core rule book, while it has some pre built grunts and such, doesn't necessarily have everything I'm looking for (low level Mage gangers or something of the sort).

Tias
May 25, 2008

If you could elaborate a bit, I'm sure I and maybe others here would like to whip up something for you.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Tias posted:

If you could elaborate a bit, I'm sure I and maybe others here would like to whip up something for you.

Basically I'm looking for some low level members of The Ancients for the start of a campaign in Seattle. Something I can use as fodder. If I understand the lore correctly they're mostly magic based (I'm basically a new GM, it'll be a while before I get a game going but I'm slowly putting the pieces together. So I could be misunderstanding some of the books I've gone through) A lieutenant would be good too.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Okay. I'm re-reading Vice, which has an entire chapter on them, and come away with the following observations:

- They're, as you may know, entirely elven.

- They are a "top tier" gang, which means that even their low-level leaders have military leadership backgrounds, and gang members may boast milspec (Availability 20 and beyond) 'ware, weapons and armour. This could complicate using them as cannon fodder, though you could send neonates out on their initiation, or gangs working for the ancients, against your players.

- They are second-highest class in the magic department, which means that they are mdoerately strong in magic on the street level, with magic being more prevalent the higher up the chain of command you go. So the bog standard 5-man street team that composes the lowest echelon of the Ancients may or may not have a mage with them, but when they run into a lieutenant, he or she probably knows a trick or two.

Street-level Ancient:

B:4 A:5 R:4 S:3 C:4 I:3 L:2 W:4

Suggested Augmentations: Cybereyes, Wired Reflexes, Obvious cyberlimbs, Dermal Plating, Bone Lacing.

Equipment: Armor jacket in green/black gang colours, the Ancients circle-a on the back (8/6, immediate clue to anyone with Street Gangs knowledge who they are, Ancients are world infamous), Combat Drugs (Cram or Jazz spring to mind), Snazzy commlink (3/4 or so), and a go-bike. I don't remember what they prefer, but the Harley-Davidson Scorpion from the core rules seem like a snug fit).

Weapons: Ares Predator, FN HAR, assault rifles and grenade launchers if you want to press the challenge.

A lieutenant would have higher physical stats, at least one decent Focus and an array of combat spells or adept powers.

Concluding thoughts: The Ancients are not really "cannon fodder", their initiation rituals involve initiate squads killing over twice their numbers of full fledged enemy gangers - but I've tried above to portray a member of the street squad that could work as a challenge (albeit a serious one) to a well-equipped 'runner team.

I'd suggest a tense battle with an Ancient street team, leading to a truce where they may either work for the ancients, be forced to do so as recompense, or otherwise get stuck further into the plot - these are just my ideas of course, change, steal or reject where appropriate :)

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Thanks. Yeah I read some of the stuff in Vice, but I guess my mind didn't really register how tough they might be to a fresh group. Perhaps I'll adjust some things and introduce them later. Instead of a top tier, maybe a third string.

Basically the idea so far is that the runners are based in Seattle doing a job for a Mr. Johnson that involves investigating Lone Star Security. Since losing their contract with the city, a few members have taken to...shadier business. Like selling weapons.

The idea was that Mr Johnson was working on behalf of Knights Errant. Specifically Ellen Knight herself. Her force has been stretched thin, and any investigation into a fellow security force might look bad. So she wants proof, or even better the names of those involved.

Initially it was going to be a few guys selling weapons to The Ancients, but now I'm thinking I could knock it down to a lesser tier gang, and have their initial investigation uncover something deeper that involves The Ancients in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Good on you. Remember, it's your game, so just turn and tweak it the way you need it two. If you want other suggestions for NPC stats, just post.

• Locked thread