Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Wait oh man I can put liquor in there.

I love this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Thanks man, glad to hear it. I wanted to sneak out and say hi but it's hard to catch a break sometimes. Glad you enjoyed everything! I don't know how long you and gravette will be in town for but if you'll still be here sun/mon or are into late night we could grab a drink or lunch or something. I live on the edge of town in slo, pretty much adjacent to edna valley.

I don't want to be syrupy or creepy and I don't really hang out/chat with the GWS superstar club often but your food photos are awesome and definitely were/are an inspiration to me on my cooking journey from less than four years ago when everything in my repertoire had "instant" in it to now when I'm working the hot line in a four-star resort. It really makes me feel good that you came in and had an awesome meal.

edit: also the expression on your server's face when she came back to tell me my friend "gravity" was here was pretty priceless

:kimchi: Well you've come a long way, dude, that was seriously a fantastic meal. no worries on the not being able to sneak out, you're at work and I wouldn't expect you to drop things to come see an internet friend. We wish we could stay for longer but were out tomorrow, back to work, etc. We'd like to come to the area more though, so we'll have to hang out next time.

I can only imagine what the waitress' expression was like. She got that deer in the headlights expression really quickly a few times. Namely when I ordered a martini and the bit you mentioned. I was just gonna say "tell him his friend Matt is here" but then I wasn't sure if you knew my real name so I went with the interweb name.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

She got that deer in the headlights expression really quickly a few times. Namely when I ordered a martini

What's so odd about martinis?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What's so odd about martinis?

I think it was just how specific I was. "Hendricks, very dry, up, stirred, with a twist." She stared at me and repeated it back all nervously.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

She must have only been on the job for a short while.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So I've been working crazy and I may be changing jobs and I'm dealing with it by jaunting upstate for a night (hiking got rained out) and now I'm doing a little dinner for friends.

I. Pro secco with Campari caviar, pasta in an herbed field tomato sauce.

II. Kale salad in homemade kimchi Caesar dressing, mulled hot cider mixed with fernet, various wines.

III. Blue cheese and Fuji apples, rue-infused grappa.

Debating on doing a protein course, like herbed pork loin or just some crumbled sausage to add into the red sauce. Not sure it's totally needed, plus the eat more veggies directive. Might just make some lardon out of face bacon to toss into the various courses. I've asked my guests to BYO, so any extra course should be able to swing either red or white, possibly Belgian beer.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Also selections for canapés to pair with the bubbly before the pasta are welcome. I'm thinking maybe fried cauliflower with garden herbs?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think it was just how specific I was. "Hendricks, very dry, up, stirred, with a twist." She stared at me and repeated it back all nervously.

What does it mean for a martini to be "up"?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Served in stemware with the ice strained out. Back in the 80s some people developed the wretched habit of serving martinis on the rocks.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

GrAviTy84 posted:

Frankly this should be the default when ordering a martini and if you'd like to mess it up some other way you can provide additional instructions.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Skrill.exe posted:

Frankly this should be the default when ordering a martini and if you'd like to mess it up some other way you can provide additional instructions.

Most nice joints I find do Bombay as a default, always put in too much vermouth, and always serve with an olive. Note that this is only at nice places - if you order a martini and they ask "vodka or gin" then you're not in a nice place and you shouldn't drink there.

Those not nice places are also the same type that like to put soda water in your old fashioned.

The old fashioned you ordered when they didn't know what a Sazerac was and you didn't trust them to make a martini.....

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The old fashioned you ordered when they didn't know what a Sazerac was and you didn't trust them to make a martini.....

I still haven't found a place that can make a sidecar correctly. On my honeymoon, the waitress laughed and told me, "That's an old lady drink". Even with her directions, the bartender still messed it up.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Amykinz posted:

I still haven't found a place that can make a sidecar correctly. On my honeymoon, the waitress laughed and told me, "That's an old lady drink". Even with her directions, the bartender still messed it up.

Found several that makes this, the most masculine of drinks, by GWS consesus, quite right!

...and usually the bartender appreciates that you order something classic, instead of a 'White wanker' or a 'Whale orgasm' (like an orgasm, but bluer....)..

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'd like to invent a drink that's called Clumsy Drunken Attempt At Sex In A Cluttered Dormroom With Whispered Apologies*

*"Gee I'm shorry" "No no it'sh okay"

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I can make corn consomme by steeping corn husks? Next we're going to find out that the peel is the best part of the carrot.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Found several that makes this, the most masculine of drinks, by GWS consesus, quite right!

...and usually the bartender appreciates that you order something classic, instead of a 'White wanker' or a 'Whale orgasm' (like an orgasm, but bluer....)..

I think I just need to start going to better places.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
2:1:1 or you get cut, sidecar (1/2 sugar rim).

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

the black husserl posted:

I can make corn consomme by steeping corn husks? Next we're going to find out that the peel is the best part of the carrot.

I wonder how many people on GWS tried making this tonight or this weekend? I am giving it a shot right now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

beefnchedda posted:

I wonder how many people on GWS tried making this tonight or this weekend? I am giving it a shot right now.

To be fair, it's not too much of a stretch since one uses just the cobs for corn cob jelly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

Served in stemware with the ice strained out. Back in the 80s some people developed the wretched habit of serving martinis on the rocks.

Wow, that's appalling. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

As for sidecars, I don't like sugar round the rim and request that it's left off every time I have one. I think when I make them at home, it's 2 brandy, 1 cointreau, 1 lemon juice.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Wow, that's appalling. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

As for sidecars, I don't like sugar round the rim and request that it's left off every time I have one. I think when I make them at home, it's 2 brandy, 1 cointreau, 1 lemon juice.

I think it's 2:1:1 too - shaken with ice - strained, added a twist of lemon..

So simple - so good - and the only cocktail manly enough for me to drink without feeling my left testicle retracting back into my body, where it will sulk for a while and consider turning into an ovary.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I think it's 2:1:1 too - shaken with ice - strained, added a twist of lemon..

So simple - so good - and the only cocktail manly enough for me to drink without feeling my left testicle retracting back into my body, where it will sulk for a while and consider turning into an ovary.
This whole thing of certain flavours and drinks being masculine or effeminate is bullshit. Me, I don't care how it tastes as long as it is served with a cocktail umbrella.

Revolver Lolcat
Aug 9, 2012

mindphlux posted:

probably the most memorable thing I had at next (most likely because I wasn't yet completely goddamn hammered) was the first thing they sent out - a tea/soup/broth/consomme of corn. it was intensely corn flavored, sweet like corn, savory like corn, had huge body, but was completely clear and straw colored.

it was so clear that I asked if they had centrifuged it or something, because all the corn stock I've made has been really cloudy. they were like 'nope, we just charred corn husks and then steeped them like tea' and my mind was blown.

anyways just went to the farmers market today, and couldn't resist grabbing a huge bag of corn husks (for free) from the discard pile. while a few hispanic guys were looking at me like I was absolutely loving nuts.

took them home, rinsed them, threw them on the grill and got them nice and brown. steeped them in just enough water to cover, waited 20 minutes - and goddamn. there it was, the same goddamn dish. seasoning was off, so I added a tbsp or so of sugar and a bit of salt, passed it through some cheesecloth - and it was dead on. absolutely amazing flavor. gave a cup of it to my girl and she was like 'holy poo poo how did you just make the thing we had last weekend'. :)

they just served it straight up, but I simmered some inch thick daikon discs in a dashi/mirin/sugar/soy sauce mixture for about an hour, osaka style, and then made a little scrambled egg/enoki mushroom squares to go with it - with the corn broth poured over.

it was really superb. highly recommend you all try this with the husks/silk next time you eat corn. even if you just have like 2-3 cobs, just use like two or three cups of boiling water, it's awesome.

Wow, I should really try this some time. Was it mainly a savoury or sweet, or a neutral flavour with the essence of sweet corn?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

This whole thing of certain flavours and drinks being masculine or effeminate is bullshit. Me, I don't care how it tastes as long as it is served with a cocktail umbrella.

Yeah I know - just referencing the discussion we had about 2 years ago about which was the most masculine of cocktails...

Also - it should be served in a hollowed out pineapple!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Yeah, but certain cocktails are manly and some aren't. If it has a cape gooseberry on the side, it's not manly. If it has an olive, it probably is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Any drink that features the flavor of the spirit rather than trying to mask it is manly. That can be a dry Martini or an Old Fashioned, or it can be a Pink Lady or a Pina Colada. As long as the spirit is one of the stars, you're safe from the wang-drop.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ah, so good strong cocktails are manly and overly sweet fruity drinks are for girls. In fact, they might even turn you INTO a girl!

Thank you so much, creepy 60 year old uncle who never moved out of his mother's house. Please, tell me more about the differences between men and women and the proper societal roles for both!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Ah, so good strong cocktails are manly and overly sweet fruity drinks are for girls. In fact, they might even turn you INTO a girl!

Thank you so much, creepy 60 year old uncle who never moved out of his mother's house. Please, tell me more about the differences between men and women and the proper societal roles for both!
:golfclap:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

Pretty much.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4TGGtPzBU

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 20, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I was totally thinking of that sketch when HH mentioned the hollowed-out pineapple.

this next question is aproxamately %55 serious: What is the best method for hollowing out a pineapple?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You can buy a tool that corkscrews into it and removes me fruit. You need a pretty big pineapple however to have enough wall left to make a decent glass.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

this next question is aproxamately %55 serious: What is the best method for hollowing out a pineapple?

I've done it with a 5in utility knife, just leave about 1/2in of wall, and scoop out with a rigid spoon.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Sjurygg posted:

I'd like to invent a drink that's called Clumsy Drunken Attempt At Sex In A Cluttered Dormroom With Whispered Apologies*

*"Gee I'm shorry" "No no it'sh okay"

That's either cheap-rear end beer in pitchers with Jager shots on the side, or it's whatever punchbowl of random white liquors and some fruit juice (generally served with gummy critters at the bottom of the bowl) is commonly served in your local college party-frat bar.

At Michigan State, that would be dollar pitchers of Old Style and Sharkbowls.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Wroughtirony posted:

Goddamn right. What the poo poo, people?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's cocktail chat, after all. Stereotypes and cliches are expected. In fact I'm kind of impressed that Winston Churchill hasn't been mentioned yet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

therattle posted:

I am now going to order every drink with an umbrella in it, even drinks that don't have anything to stick a toothpick through.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Pegu Club makes an outstanding sazerac. I haven't tried anything else there, because their sazerac is so good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

dino. posted:

Pegu Club makes an outstanding sazerac. I haven't tried anything else there, because their sazerac is so good.

You are missing out, my friend. Also I make the best Sazerac in existence, fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Amykinz posted:

If you ever happen to go to the Bellagio in Vegas, they do it right.

Sidecars are one of my favorite drinks, but I tend to make them at home. There's a cocktail bar in Boston that I've been meaning to try called Drink that I've heard good things about, anyone been?