Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Mom approved of my PISS entry :neckbeard: Waiting to hear on my sister for stuff her cats like.

Also that monkey peanutbutter is really good like woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
That peanut butter is the reason I even like peanut butter at all. I couldn't handle the regular stuff before I started the fancy and now I love it all.

Captain Foxy says that Keeper only likes the crappy sweetened kind, spoiled little dick. He thought his NAME was Peanut Butter when she first adopted him, iirc.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
No his name was literally Peanut Butter. P.B. His breeder was all 'it's what he likes herp derp IT IS HIS NAME NOW' and just went with that.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
There is a German Shepherd hyena at the shelter. :stare:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

holy poo poo :stare: :catstare:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Poor guy looks like he has super mange.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I want to take that German Shepherd home. :smith:

Speaking of dogs I can't have, here is another one.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Pupdate time!

Citizen Rat posted:

I do all the things one does to keep the dog comfortable but that would require actually paying attention to the dog rather than just throwing them outside with a shaved coat which completely ruins their coat.

tl;dr you are lazy and hosed up your dog's coat. good job.
All the hubbub about Pi's haircut a couple of months ago irked me enough to keep it in mind until now. The hair has grown back in time for winter like I knew it would and Pi had a much easier time during the summer. He was able to keep trialing through July and clocked in significantly faster runs after the haircut as compared to before it in May. Because air conditioning isn't common here (we worry more about keeping warm for most of the year), Pi got to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months when indoor spaces tend to get uncomfortably warm.

Pi in June right after clipping

Pi in July about a month on

Pi in October, acting all worried about others playing: http://youtu.be/gslBbbdxf8g?t=36s

If you comb through Pi's coat and look for them, there are still a few guard hairs that need to replace themselves. Overall the length, feel and texture is back to what it usually is for a fixed male dog (i.e. softer, fluffier and a bit longer than it should be).

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Fraction posted:

I think the place near me is worse. Who doesn't want a meerkat, opossum, prairie dog, skunk, genet, asian leopard cat (what), palm civets, raccoons, reindeer, rhea...

They have a shop in Manchester, but according to a friend who's been there, all they have there are the 'common' pets.

They have wallabies but not wombats? If I was going to get a fantasy pet that I had no capability of taking care of, it'd be a wombat for sure. (I do not and would never want a pet wombat.)

edit: okay I just looked them up and they're like twice the size I thought they were and are somehow less practical of a pet than a loving porcupine.

Also I am disappointed. Their "Kangaroos and Wallabies" section only has wallabies. How am I supposed to get a kangaroo buddy that I can dress up in a hoodie and go kickboxing with?

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 20, 2012

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Dogdoo 8 posted:

They have wallabies but not wombats? If I was going to get a fantasy pet that I had no capability of taking care of, it'd be a wombat for sure. (I do not and would never want a pet wombat.)

edit: okay I just looked them up and they're like twice the size I thought they were and are somehow less practical of a pet than a loving porcupine.

No cassowarys? drat. I hear they're great in apartments.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My dream pet is a hyena but strangely no one sells those. Who doesn't want one of these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uNCwmax8cs

e: I want that GSD that's channeling one though and help him out :( Poor dog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Dogdoo 8 posted:

If I was going to get a fantasy pet that I had no capability of taking care of, it'd be a wombat for sure. (I do not and would never want a pet wombat.)

I know what you're getting for Christmas PISSmas! :haw:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Also I am disappointed. Their "Kangaroos and Wallabies" section only has wallabies. How am I supposed to get a kangaroo buddy that I can dress up in a hoodie and go kickboxing with?

Man, I have pet a wallaby and it was literally the softest animal I've ever felt. If you got a wallaby you'd be too busy cuddling it to ever think about going kickboxing or doing anything else again.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The last time I was at the San Diego Zoo I got to pet a baby tree kangaroo, and it was amazing. Their fur is like rex rabbit fur but maybe even moreso. Super dense and soft.

Wallabies have a reputation as being escape artists, by the way.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I need to rant.

I've just basically written up all the dates that my mice died, for the first time. I got them on September 27th last year, and they died July 23rd (Flower; tumor, pts), August 6th (Mozart; possible seizure, heart attack or brain tumor), and September 24th (Kinkajou and Tosca; unknown cause of death).

So for going the breeder route, I was rewarded with mice that lived less than a year. I emailed the breeder each time after one died, and he only ever got back to me the first time. I'm pissed now because I've just realised *exactly* how little time they lived, and because the breeder never even bothered to send a 'sorry' when I informed him of the deaths of the other three.

Am I wrong for expecting that little? *~Mouse breeders~* and all but these were pets, he knew that, and he was trying to (according to him) promote mice as pets/have pet-keepers be better understood and better heard in forums, etc, where breeders dominate. I don't know if he's still breeding from the line that popped out my girls, or what. Urgh.

:sigh:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Sorry about your bad luck Fraction :(

Some do only live to be about a year old, but I've had some live two and one even lived three years.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Fionna is getting big...she doesn't fit in her first collar anymore (the one the rescue had on her...which was admittedly a cat collar, but still) and weighs a ton and is impossible to pick up because of endless wiggles. She also barks at All The Things. I need to get a video of her at some point, she's hilarious when she goes outside. She loooves to dig. Like, crazy style.

Also bonus cat because, hey, cats.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

She looks like a lovely cuddly puppy. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Greycious posted:

Some do only live to be about a year old, but I've had some live two and one even lived three years.

I had a pet store mouse that I kept on cedar and fed garbage pet-store food because I didn't know any better when I was a kid, and he lived to be four. Sometimes I think it really does just come down to luck.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I think my cat is broken.

I had two cats, they were best friends. Two weeks ago one of them passed away, and the remaining cat, Catface, has not been taking it well at all. She's been crying constantly and she won't eat even when I give her things like tuna. Upsetting, but fairly expected.

But then today she rolled in piss. Just all up in there! My parents (who I'm living with at the moment) have an ancient cat who sometimes misses the litterbox. Today she pissed all over the floor, and when I went looking for Catface I found her rolling in the piss like it was the best thing in the world.

What the gently caress. Please tell me someone else has heard of a cat doing this, because otherwise I think she has honestly gone off the deep end.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Greycious posted:

I just feel annoyed that the breeder has given me no communication. If he's selling mice to people as pets, he ought to be aware that his mice (or this line anyway) are prone to dying really quickly and randomly at less than a year old.

Plus it's just common courtesy if you sell someone an animal and it dies, for you to send a quick response of 'sorry' at least, right?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I took pictures of a classmate's foster dogs for their petfinder profiles and I was hoping being around a terrible puppy would make me want a puppy less but it didn't,

Why are you so cute puppy?!

The brindle-y cheeks killed me dead.

If I didn't think Major would eat her I would be +1 puppy.

Their old girl is pretty cute too though.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 20, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Come to my doggie daycare and meet the two teenage boy puppies I have. You will not want a puppy then. If those dogs could laugh in your face they would. Also their only coping mechanism when another dog reprimands them is to incessantly bark in an indignant manner at the other dog.

But I really wish Major wouldn't eat her either, she's far too cute, and they would be SO handsome together. :3:

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
I need to rant, cause this has really been bothering me and when I tell my friends they immediately start glazing over, heh.

I live in a tenement flat and my bedroom backs on to a massive shared garden, and I'm on the top floor so I can pretty much see everything that's going on when I'm sitting at my window. I'm unemployed at the moment so have been spending a lot of my time sitting at my desk next to the window working on things on my computer.

A guy next door has just got a new puppy - little leggy generic black lab-mix looking pup, really cute. And this guy is just... a moron. He has no idea what he's doing with the dog. He lets pup out in the garden to do his business and stands near the door, and when he wants the dog back in he GROWLS in this deep, angry, menacing voice. "RAMSAY! COME HERE! COME HERE!" - and quite rightly pup wants absolutely nothing to do with him. The dog has done nothing wrong and this guy is talking to him in a tone of voice that, even to me, a human person!, reeks of "You're in trouble now". When he gets fed up of pup not coming to him, he goes after him (pup by this stage is crawling on his belly, tail between his legs looking super terrified) and bowls him over (pup is now shrieking with fear) and tells him off, then aggressively pats his belly. It's really horrible and distressing to watch. Yesterday after he'd rolled the puppy over, puppy ended up running away and hiding in the bushes for ages. Poor baby. :(

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Fraction posted:

I just feel annoyed that the breeder has given me no communication. If he's selling mice to people as pets, he ought to be aware that his mice (or this line anyway) are prone to dying really quickly and randomly at less than a year old.

Plus it's just common courtesy if you sell someone an animal and it dies, for you to send a quick response of 'sorry' at least, right?

Yeah, even if he knows you're not going to be sending any future buyers his way, it would be polite to at least say "sorry to hear that".

Azrael, Fiona is still cute as heck. Are you going to set up a sandbox or something for her to dig in? I've always wanted to do that for a dog :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Wheats posted:

Azrael, Fiona is still cute as heck. Are you going to set up a sandbox or something for her to dig in? I've always wanted to do that for a dog :3:

I second this motion! I had plans to set one up for my dog, but she is a broken terrier and has never shown much of an inclination to dig.

mice

micemicemice

MICE

Not mine; I'm just petsitting for a friend for the weekend. :ssh:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

For a second I thought this mouse was wearing tiny mouse trousers. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I just read this on FB, from a disabled animal rescue called Panda Paws. They just had to euthanize a GSD puppy with what they believed to be a severe brain tumor. But in her necropsy, besides revealing deformed kidneys and lungs, was this (yes, she came from a breeder...:();

3. With all necropsies, you open the cranial (skull) cavity. It was VERY important for us to do this because she had what we believed was a tumor & we wanted to know what type so we can further inform litter mate owners. When we opened her skull cavity up, there was no tumor. Kanai'i had NO BRAIN. She literally had NO BRAIN. Her skull was filled with brain fluid & a few small pieced necrotic (decaying) grey matter floating about. However, there wasn't an actual brain to be found.

Her rescuers had this to say about her:
"I don't really know what to say... because we are all very shocked & dumbfounded. This is the first we have ever seen of this & we have NO IDEA how she was functioning without a brain.... she seemed to have cognitive behaviors, but that would be impossible without a brain. She seemed to "see" or "smell" things, but quickly those senses would vanish & she would be back at square one."

How was she functioning without a brain? She was 4 months old at the time of euthanasia, is it possible that she HAD a brain that simply deteriorated? I've never heard of this before. Besides making me want to choke the breeders, this really has me fascinated/disturbed. :stare:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Azrael Alexander posted:

I just read this on FB, from a disabled animal rescue called Panda Paws. They just had to euthanize a GSD puppy with what they believed to be a severe brain tumor. But in her necropsy, besides revealing deformed kidneys and lungs, was this (yes, she came from a breeder...:();

3. With all necropsies, you open the cranial (skull) cavity. It was VERY important for us to do this because she had what we believed was a tumor & we wanted to know what type so we can further inform litter mate owners. When we opened her skull cavity up, there was no tumor. Kanai'i had NO BRAIN. She literally had NO BRAIN. Her skull was filled with brain fluid & a few small pieced necrotic (decaying) grey matter floating about. However, there wasn't an actual brain to be found.

Her rescuers had this to say about her:
"I don't really know what to say... because we are all very shocked & dumbfounded. This is the first we have ever seen of this & we have NO IDEA how she was functioning without a brain.... she seemed to have cognitive behaviors, but that would be impossible without a brain. She seemed to "see" or "smell" things, but quickly those senses would vanish & she would be back at square one."

How was she functioning without a brain? She was 4 months old at the time of euthanasia, is it possible that she HAD a brain that simply deteriorated? I've never heard of this before. Besides making me want to choke the breeders, this really has me fascinated/disturbed. :stare:

My guess is that she had doggy anencephaly, which would indicate that the brain STEM (i.e. "lizard brain") was intact while the main brain tissue was absent and had been since conception. Usually anencephaly in humans manifests with a hugely deformed skull and characteristic facial features. Having that condition could potentially allow her to survive some time (like Dan Lirette's zombie baby) with sensory function (light/heat reactive, scent reactive) but no cognitive function (learning, memory, etc). Usually survival is limited to hours after birth, but some human babies have lived up to a year or more. I've never heard of it in a dog, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Edit: Google shows that it does happen in dogs (there's even a cited case of a GSD fetus), but I would be surprised that this dog didn't have the characteristic deformities.

OK, I just looked at the rescue page and that video of her running in the grass blows my mind. That shouldn't be possible without cerebellar tissue. WTF! So it couldn't be anencephaly because she would have been much more vegetative. Weiiiirrrrd.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 21, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
"Fortunately, you don't need a lot of brain to be a pet dog"
~lecture on Traumatic Brain Injury in Dogs

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I am requesting more information if you can provide it, Azrael. I don't think this sounds like anancephaly at all.

With nothing else to go on, this is my top suspect: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22186380

and if that's the case it literally has nothing to do with bybs inbreeding.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 21, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

I am requesting more information if you can provide it, Azrael. I don't think this sounds like anancephaly at all.

With nothing else to go on, this is my top suspect: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22186380

This is what the rescue had to say when they received her, before the necropsy:

"Kanai'i's prognosis is very grim. Her time is very limited. Although she looks like a youthful, fun, grass-loving in puppy in the previous video - reality is not so sunny! She has a severe brain tumor that is rapidly growing, she is blind, parrot mouth & has a malformed front left paw. While the paw & blindness are very easy to work with, the brain issues are not. Her brain is "mis-firing" messages, causing her to lose balance, go stiff (almost seizure-like) & she can't control her biting.

When she is being pet, she bites. When she runs into something, she bites it. When she is trying to give you kisses, she bites. Her brain should send messages that would cause her to lick & give sweet puppy kisses. But her brain is not functioning properly so her puppy love is a little more piranha-esque! We can handle this without any concerns on our end. But we certainly cannot adopt her out.

Reality is: within a very short period of time, that tumor will take over her cranial space. Her quality of life will diminish, she will become painful & she will be suffering. We will make certain that when that day comes, we let her go humanely. In the meantime - we are now the proud owners of a very special GSD puppy!"

Edit: That really sounds like the symptoms in the link you posted. That's probably what was wrong with her. I'm at least glad that it's something lovely breeding can't cause.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 21, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I am deeply disturbed and fascinated by all of that. :stare: How does an animal function for 4 months without a brain (or a partial one from the beginning?)

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

Fraction posted:

Man how did I live without rats. How are you all living right now without rats :catstare:

Allergies. Hives.
I love rats, but just can't have them. :(

I'm not allergic to mice though. I found that my current cats like them too much to safely keep. My last kitty was much less attracted to them, so I was able to keep them.

Now I just live vicariously through everyone who has them and posts pictures.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pew! Pew! posted:

I am deeply disturbed and fascinated by all of that. :stare: How does an animal function for 4 months without a brain (or a partial one from the beginning?)

Well as far as a partial brain goes, there are a lot of congenital (hereditary or acquired) conditions that involve malformations or absence of brain features/tissue. An animal can almost be completely without a cerebellum and could still function pretty well aside from pronounced abnormalities in gait and posture (look up cerebellar hypoplasia on youtube, you can see videos of puppies and kittens with it). There are also disorders that cause a decrease in cerebral cortex size that are seen in dogs at birth, and these ones usually have actually little overt signs of dysfunction, maybe they're a little slow to get things or whatever but as Asstro Van said, doesn't take much cerebral power to be, for example, a Shih Tzu. The brainstem is the part without which life is pretty drat impossible, since a lot of essential body functions are regulated there.

However, I think what this dog has, just based on the fact that it's 4 months old and the condition seems like it's progressive, is not an absence of the structures at birth, but rather a condition where some malformation that may have been 'minor' at birth has caused an issue that has actually led to deterioration of brain tissue that may have been present before. This general process itself is actually seen affecting the cerebellum in some dog breeds as (and this one IS hereditary) cerebellar abiotrophy, where the dog's cerebellum develops normally and then at some point it begins to degenerate, and the dog deteriorates over time until it is non-ambulatory. But this is affecting the cerebrum and the description makes me think it has something to do with malformation of CSF-containing structures, but it isn't like I can be sure without a good history of the dog's signs and also necropsy pictures. The other deformities present (renal, liver, paw) suggest that it could be a multisystemic problem of some sort, either a deficiency of some critical factor or an infectious cause (during gestation rather than after birth is my thought).

I also thought it was really odd that upon seeing a 4 month old puppy with profound neurologic signs anyone's first differential would be neoplasia (the whole tumor thing). I mean sure there are neoplasms that you can see in very young animals but if I were making a list just based on the dog's signs I would put anomalous (congenital or hereditary), toxic and infectious right at the very top of the list and neoplasia would be somewhere much lower.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 21, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Well all of that is really horrifying and I'm going to have nightmares now about terrifying brainless zombie dogs!!!!!!!

Speaking of brainless, my brain tumor got a ~new sweater~ today because it is stupid and gets cold all the time

Topoisomerase posted:

There are also disorders that cause a decrease in cerebral cortex size that are seen in dogs at birth, and these ones usually have actually little overt signs of dysfunction, maybe they're a little slow to get things or whatever but as Asstro Van said, doesn't take much cerebral power to be, for example, a Shih Tzu.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Superconsndar posted:

Speaking of brainless, my brain tumor got a ~new sweater~ today because it is stupid and gets cold all the time

I think you need another round of chemo, Super, or three...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Lmbo at how frankie is as far away from moses as possible while still being on the bed comfortably.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Kerfuffle posted:

Lmbo at how frankie is as far away from moses as possible while still being on the bed comfortably.
Ahaha yeah he's just chilling diagonal-sideways on the bed.

Frankie be stylin', man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

lmao poor frankie

Moses freaks out if he cant find Frankie but he still abuses the hell out of him they have the most abusive relationship

Frankie freaks out if he can't find Moses too so I guess he's into it

• Locked thread