Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My computer is starting to show it's age (I think it's closing in on 6 years old) and I had to drop the settings to medium but the game ran smooth as silk for me, I doubt you'll have many problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I put it to medium shadows, medium AO, and medium AA and it ran 30-45fps which is not bad.

However the demo made me not like the game. Maybe on a $5 deal.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
i5-750 (first gen), and a gtx 260 216 let me max out without frame problems at all. Or drat close to max out (I never use v-sync in any games). It's pretty well optimized, whoever told you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
The game was very well optimized, it was smooth the whole way through for me on my Q6600 / GTX 260. Turning AA up in this game will loving massacre your machine though because enables super sampling. Just play with FXAA on and it should be butter smooth.

Also the DLC is so ridiculous, I love it. :lol:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I have a 3770k and a 670gt and I'm getting a bit of a stutter while playing, games great and looks great otherwise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If don't know if any of y'all are trying but you really can't use the high-res graphics pack without a 2gb graphics card and probably at least a 560ti or equivalent at that. It's a pretty graphics intensive game which makes sense because it looks pretty goddamn good. The night scenes in the rain are fantastic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Jackie why I thought we were bros. :saddowns:
You mean the Smiley Cat? That's not Jackie According to Squeenix, it's a pleasant chap called Big Scar Wu, who evidently pissed off the Grand Dragon enough to win the special prize of getting stabbed 42 times and fed into a grinder at the Smiley Cat pet food plant. Apparently he's a bit of a sore loser about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh weird. I thought the body type and voice was...who I thought it was but I guess that's cool that I'm wrong!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hey so, just in case some of you haven't already, you should all go check out Flash Point and SPL. Both very obviously influenced much of the game and its plot (though to be fair, Sleeping Dogs is basically just Hong Kong Crime Action: The Game!). The main character in Flashpoint even wears a rad Wei-esque leather jacket and jeans.

Hog in the Meadow
Jul 3, 2006

Gam zeh ya'avor

Yodzilla posted:

If don't know if any of y'all are trying but you really can't use the high-res graphics pack without a 2gb graphics card and probably at least a 560ti or equivalent at that. It's a pretty graphics intensive game which makes sense because it looks pretty goddamn good. The night scenes in the rain are fantastic.
I've got a 470 GTX with 1280 MB and the high-res textures work fine for me. Anti-aliasing seems like the main performance killer.

I'm really surprised how well this game runs for how good it looks.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Yodzilla posted:

I used it on a GTX 260, which has under 1gb. :confused:

At 1680x1050, but I still wasn't thrashing from running out of vram.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Well finally bought it due to it being on sale, needless to say I am impressed in knowing my rig can run Sleeping Dogs decently. I am also having a lot of fun so far. Still wish the game had some product placement like Yakuza.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

I dislike zombie games but for some reason I find zombie DLCs to be consistently awesome. I guess it means just one less full zombie game oversaturating the market?

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?
I just got this for Xbox. Any tips for a newbie I should keep in mind?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bradzor posted:

Make use of all the power-ups. They make a big enough difference that they can make a big difference on tough missions and they're cheap and abundant.

Free energy drinks in your apartment fridges. These make you do more melee damage.
Tea makes you more damage resistant.
"massages" help you fill up your face meter faster which not only helps you in combat but helps you level up face much faster.
Random foods will make your health regenerate faster.

Also don't forget to bling yourself out with clothes. Sunnies, watches, bracelets, necklaces and whatever can massively speed up your face leveling. Get appropriate outfits for cop missions and triad missions to get the bonus xp.

When doing drug busts, just go smash lots of skulls and hack the cameras - you can do the actual drug busts when you're next at home anyway. Better yet, dress up in your cop XP suit and bust out a bunch of them really quickly all at once. It becomes really tedious if you mistakenly believe you have to run back to your apartment after every one of them.

Don't expect much in the way of long relationships. Wei is somewhat of a player.
MINOR SPOILERThere is one scene that is kind of awkward in relation to this but we here have seemingly collectively have attributed the awkwardness to Wei needing to keep up face with the triads.

Basically though just have fun. It's not a huge game, in length or geographic scale, and the story isn't perfect, but what it lacks in scale it makes up for in quality.

EDIT: and as far as the performance/hardware questions are concerned, I have an old I5-750, 8GB of ram and everyone's favourite, GTX560ti and it churns it out fine. Only thing that I had to turn down was ambient occlusion from max to normal and vsync disabled. I can even fraps the game all day long without much impact. I don't get an unmoving steady 60fps if that's what you're after but it's certainly smooth enough to not notice.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 20, 2012

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Don't expect much in the way of long relationships. Wei is somewhat of a player.
MINOR SPOILERThere is one scene that is kind of awkward in relation to this but we here have seemingly collectively have attributed the awkwardness to Wei needing to keep up face with the triads.

I only just finished Mrs. Chu's Revenge and the one where you meet Miss Jiang but are you talking about the weird thing where he stalks Tiffany or is there something even weirder later on?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I only just finished Mrs. Chu's Revenge and the one where you meet Miss Jiang but are you talking about the weird thing where he stalks Tiffany or is there something even weirder later on?

That's the one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bradzor posted:

The only difficult thing to level up is Triad XP, so wear an outfit for that ASAP and keep it on. The rest takes care of itself.

If you are going for 100%, save the million dollar gambling stat award until you have the Kennedy safehouse, then savescum the nearby cockfight. And you will need to savescum it as it's totally random and the million dollars is net gains. The only misstep in a great game and not that big a deal in the great scheme of things.

And that's pretty much it. As already mentioned you can save up the drug bust surveillance parts until you are back at your safe house an do several at once. But really, you can pretty much play the entire game any way you like and you'll not need a guide and you won't be able to lock yourself out of any content. It's just brilliant. Have fun driving around, punching triads, and getting into all sorts of mischief.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

jfjnpxmy posted:

I really wish they had actually made a complete game before going hog-wild with DLC, but there ya go.

Literally the first bad thing ive read about this game and it comes AFTER I finally buy it :argh:

Granted I havent been in this thread though

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

slovach posted:

The game was very well optimized, it was smooth the whole way through for me on my Q6600 / GTX 260. Turning AA up in this game will loving massacre your machine though because enables super sampling. Just play with FXAA on and it should be butter smooth.

Also the DLC is so ridiculous, I love it. :lol:

Thanks, this helped. Had it in max settings originally but it crippled my fps. Turned the AA down and everything went back to normal!

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

the_american_dream posted:

Literally the first bad thing ive read about this game and it comes AFTER I finally buy it :argh:

The guy who wrote that is an idiot. This game is easily one of the best open world games of the last few years.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

It's a bit short and there are a few bits and pieces that aren't perfect but the game owns.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

By anyones* standards its a complete game. The story is complete, the missions are complete. If they had more time and a bigger budget then I think they would have probably expanded some of the content (particularly the date "missions", some of which end abruptly especially if you dont read the relevant reports that turn up on your phone), but "The story progression is a little fast in the mid/late story, and the date missions could have used more of a denouement" is a very different criticism than "The game is incomplete". KOTOR 2 is an incomplete game. Sleeping Dogs is a complete game where the story could use a little more padding/slower pacing around the 60% mark when things start to snowball fast and some events would have had more impact if there was an extra mission or two between elements being introduced and resolved.

*Except that guy. But that guy might be crazy.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Thievery posted:

The guy who wrote that is an idiot.

Pretty rude, dude.

ANYWHO, it's an enjoyable enough game. I played through it, and enjoyed it a reasonable amount which is pretty impressive because I am the pickiest motherfucker ever. That being said, it's got a lot of niggling stuff that's obviously a result of them going "Aight gently caress it that's long enough" and firing it out the door prematurely. Story arcs kinda pick up and disappear, with mission length being totally random - one minute a mission is "drive here and open a trunk" and the next it'll be a six hour epic gunfight. The end of the game is laughably slapdash, basically Just Some Guy appears and you kill him and your obviously crooked boss is crooked and that's it. There's a ton of odd glitches, from the map refusing to tell you where to go to your car randomly disappearing or Wei deciding he's going to run in a random direction. The controls are choppy, leading to oddness like hijacking taxi drivers when you want a ride, or being unable to target a particular goon in a brawl. There's a lot of rough, unpolished elements that are clumsy, like having to slooooowly cycle through cars in your garage if you want a particular colour, or the kung fu gym only counting inputs if you do them to some arbitrary timing. And, while the individual mechanics are fun (driving, shooting, fisty-fightin', hacking), they're repeated sooo often, with so little variation that, when combined with the excessive hand-holding in the missions, it becomes a bit tedious. Oh wow, five guys run in and stand around...except this time one of them has a knife and one is a grappler. Oh wow another five guys, but it's two knives, a grappler and a brawler. GOTTA BEAT DOGEYES, WEI.

Like I said, it's a good game, but it's got the marks of premature birth all over it, and the speed at which they started churning out DLC (most of which appears to be more of the same five-guys-in-a-circle-kick-punch-now-drive-here-and-press-Y malarkey) is a bit galling when the game itself needed another month of spit and polish. But hey ho, that's the games industry for ya, I am hella old and grumpy. And stupid, I am reliably informed.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

I can't think of a single open world sandbox game that doesn't have the equivalent of all the niggles you mentioned, and usually more. Even all the AAA publisher games have exactly the same kind of issues.

I'm not suggesting that your points aren't valid for what they are, but it's things that are common to ALL games of this type. Sandboxes always have a few sharp stones in them. At least this one had gameplay, story and characters that delivered, which is something that most sandboxes manage to slip up on much of the time. Plus, for every minor complaint you lay at the game's feet, there are an equal number of uniquely great things about this game that no other sandbox has that counterbalance them.

The constant sniffy faint praise that this is a good game but somehow incomplete baffles the gently caress out of me. It's a complete package. I would have loved more, because after two full runs and 75 hours I still want to play more of this game. But I'd rather have a game like this that never lulls over the duration, that I want to replay again, than something that drags on and makes me want to kill myself out of boredom even on the first run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

The constant sniffy faint praise that this is a good game but somehow incomplete baffles the gently caress out of me. It's a complete package. I would have loved more, because after two full runs and 75 hours I still want to play more of this game.

You are in a stunning minority and maybe need to go fill the time with something else?

Sleeping Dogs was pretty good, but its sparseness of content started coming out less than halfway in and its plot all but shook itself to pieces in the final act. When your main villain says exactly one sentence (and gets cut off!) before declaring war on you and everything you hold dear, and when that one sentence is over 70% and 20 hours into a 25-hour title, then your script might be missing a few pages.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm not suggesting that your points aren't valid for what they are, but it's things that are common to ALL games of this type. Sandboxes always have a few sharp stones in them.

Which is the thing, really. Sandbox games are called that because they give you an environment and you make your own fun. Something like Saint's Row 2 or Just Cause 2 have a good variety of missions, and they encourage you to explore the game's mechanics in a different ways. And then, when you're not playing a mission, you can go and gently caress about - see how far you can shove the game world, or how much trouble you can cause, or what the most ludicrous scenario you can create is. Sleeping Dogs has neither of these facets. For all that it's a nicely detailed Hong Kong and you can drive around the roads and whatnot, it's not really a sandbox game in the true sense of the term. Every mission is tightly scripted (another gripe: If I've spent 15 minutes stealing a shotgun from the cops and escaping to safety, don't take it away from me because That's Not What This Mission Is) so that you go between the big glowing markers as and when you're told, and in between missions there's very, very little to do and very few toys to make your own fun with. Even the roads are mostly flat city streets or fenced in highways, with only the acceptable JUMP HERE ramps being Authorised Fun Spots.

So really, it's the worst of both worlds. The copy-pasted mechanics and rough edges of a sandbox, but without the spontaneity or shenanigans of a sandbox. And still I enjoyed it. And I am still not a real man without a pork bun in my hand.

ChetReckless posted:

For what its worth, I don't disagree that a month of polish and filling in story could have paid off. I just think you're misguided by being "galled" by the DLC.

Point taken and understood, sir. Can I at least get a bit narked about this preorder bonus stuff?

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 20, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

jfjnpxmy posted:

Like I said, it's a good game, but it's got the marks of premature birth all over it, and the speed at which they started churning out DLC (most of which appears to be more of the same five-guys-in-a-circle-kick-punch-now-drive-here-and-press-Y malarkey) is a bit galling when the game itself needed another month of spit and polish. But hey ho, that's the games industry for ya, I am hella old and grumpy. And stupid, I am reliably informed.
I think a common misconception about DLC is that it has a lot more to do with the production of the game than it does. I'm sure Sleeping Dogs didn't ship on the date that it did because everyone thought it was 100% done -- it shipped then because they saw it as the best window to get released. If they had waited much longer they'd be running right into the heavy hitters of the fall (bad idea for an unproven IP like this, associations with True Crime aside) or been delayed until early 2013 (which is also full of big games) and who knows if they could continue to afford more delays to a game already full of delays. At some point you have to ship a game, and its not as simple as "let's take another month to polish".

DLC like this tends to get made after the actual game is sent away for certification, and has no impact on the production of the main game. It's not like they were putting together this stuff in lieu of polishing the game. They aren't going to go back and "fix" the game to your liking, they're going to try to make DLC people will actually buy.

It's one thing to be able to complain about the game being unfinished, but don't hook that on to DLC. I can't really imagine the two have anything to do with one another. If your problem is just that DLC is coming out quickly, well, you said it yourself -- so far its been pretty straightforward, low overhead, easy to produce stuff. So yeah, they can make it quickly, but that has nothing to do with delaying the main game over entirely different issues. Would you have been happier if they had delayed the game so they could put in more "malarkey"? Or do you just believe they are working harder somehow because its for paid DLC?

For what its worth, I don't disagree that a month of polish and filling in story could have paid off. I just think you're misguided by being "galled" by the DLC.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

jfjnpxmy posted:

Which is the thing, really. Sandbox games are called that because they give you an environment and you make your own fun. Something like Saint's Row 2 or Just Cause 2 have a good variety of missions, and they encourage you to explore the game's mechanics in a different ways. And then, when you're not playing a mission, you can go and gently caress about - see how far you can shove the game world, or how much trouble you can cause, or what the most ludicrous scenario you can create is. Sleeping Dogs has neither of these facets. For all that it's a nicely detailed Hong Kong and you can drive around the roads and whatnot, it's not really a sandbox game in the true sense of the term. Every mission is tightly scripted (another gripe: If I've spent 15 minutes stealing a shotgun from the cops and escaping to safety, don't take it away from me because That's Not What This Mission Is) so that you go between the big glowing markers as and when you're told, and in between missions there's very, very little to do and very few toys to make your own fun with. Even the roads are mostly flat city streets or fenced in highways, with only the acceptable JUMP HERE ramps being Authorised Fun Spots.

So really, it's the worst of both worlds. The copy-pasted mechanics and rough edges of a sandbox, but without the spontaneity or shenanigans of a sandbox. And still I enjoyed it. And I am still not a real man without a pork bun in my hand.

I'm not getting your complaints. The missions are scripted, but they have great variety to them, often within a single mission. You get foot chases, gun fights, car chases, riding shotgun, melee fights, races, parkour sections, action hijacks, some infiltration/stealthy bits, even some goofy stuff with karaoke and other oddness. Heavily scripted ala GTA IV with the bulletproof cars and almost zero mission variety is bad, but this game kept things mixed up with masses of different things to do. Plus, every mission advanced the story some way.

I love Saints Row 2, and put 120 hours into two runs on that thing. It's clunky as gently caress though, and there isn't a lot more you can do between missions that Sleeping Dogs doesnt offer. Sleeping Dogs has races, car thefts, armoured car hijackings, drug busts, favours, fight clubs, a ton of collectibles (that are actually easy and fun to get), Roland's jobs etc. For pissing about mayhem you can spend hours action hijacking your way up a freeway, you can drive around using your car door to smash people off their motorbikes, you can stuff people in trunks and drive them off to do what you want with them, start the usual big fights with the cops etc. I'll concede it has fewer toys in terms of guns and vehicle types, but it makes up for that with melee mischief and making travelling on foot actually fun. (YMMV of course.) If you want to gently caress about in the city, there are still a ton of ways to do so. And again, the number of ways you can mess around compare favourably with all other games of this type.

I also adore Just Cause 2 but no-one plays that for the missions. Seriously. It's just a great open world rear end in a top hat simulator. I've played something like 45 hours and never finished the story yet.

Comparisons to JC2 and Saints Row 2 hold up fine. JC2 is probably the daddy of open world mayhem, no other game ever made compares to that. But, Sleeping Dogs has the story and melee that it doesn't. Saints Row 2 is wicked fun, especially in co-op, but Volition make lovely worlds that look like arse. Great toys to mess with though. Saints Row The Third (which I made a double completion run of too because I do that with sandboxes I love) compared better with Sleeping Dogs in that they both make wandering around on foot enjoyable. The awesome button attacks make for combo extenders and I loved just making my way up the street doing wrestling moves on everyone. I actually get turned off by the GTV screenshots that show such huge distances on the streets and stuff because my first thought is how dull they will be when I'm not in a car.

But regardless, if this game didn't tickle you in the way it tickled me then fair enough. That's an emotional response after all and your view there is as valid as any. As someone who spends a lot of time playing open world games, I just dispute what you say about how much stuff you can do in this game compared to others.

Out of interest, how do you rate The Saboteur? I have that in joint first place with Sleeping Dogs as my favourite single-player open world game of all time. The freeplay content in that game just delighted me in ways that nothing else could ever quite match. It all meant something, and you could create your own missions. Also, parkour is fun so it is another game where foot travel was actually fun and not a chore. That's still the rarest thing in these games for me.

Still, you did have fun in spite of our complaints, so all good I guess.

Oxxidation posted:

You are in a stunning minority and maybe need to go fill the time with something else?

Considering the lovefest in this thread, and with every player of the game that I've talked to on my console friendlists and other sites I dispute this point. And again, just going by comparisons I can name a dozen high profile open world games with flimsier narrative structure including pretty much all the recent Rockstar games. Not saying it couldn't have been better, but it is certainly better than most.

Also, it's ridiculous to tell someone who enjoyed doing something (twice) that it was a waste of their time. I had fun, and want to have more fun doing it again. Which is the point of a videogame last time I checked.

jfjnpxmy posted:

Point taken and understood, sir. Can I at least get a bit narked about this preorder bonus stuff?

Oh hell yes. That's a trend that is obnoxious for any game. I'm even happy to buy all this stuff, but spreading it out over various retailers and then locking the rest away from me for X months (by which time I may be well done with a game) is bullshit.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Parkingtigers posted:

The only difficult thing to level up is Triad XP, so wear an outfit for that ASAP and keep it on. The rest takes care of itself.

If you are going for 100%, save the million dollar gambling stat award until you have the Kennedy safehouse, then savescum the nearby cockfight. And you will need to savescum it as it's totally random and the million dollars is net gains. The only misstep in a great game and not that big a deal in the great scheme of things.

And that's pretty much it. As already mentioned you can save up the drug bust surveillance parts until you are back at your safe house an do several at once. But really, you can pretty much play the entire game any way you like and you'll not need a guide and you won't be able to lock yourself out of any content. It's just brilliant. Have fun driving around, punching triads, and getting into all sorts of mischief.

What about all of the collectibles in the game? I noticed that going on the dates highlighted some of them on the map, but the only things i think aren't shown now are those little lock boxes. Do I meet another girl who highlights all of those for me?

Also, there are a few upgrades for apartments, are they just completely unmarked on the map?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kin posted:

What about all of the collectibles in the game? I noticed that going on the dates highlighted some of them on the map, but the only things i think aren't shown now are those little lock boxes. Do I meet another girl who highlights all of those for me?

Also, there are a few upgrades for apartments, are they just completely unmarked on the map?

Yes to both.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Since some of the DLC is 50% off on Steam, is any of it worth getting? The DLCs that just give you more money and XP seem pretty pointless.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Baggot posted:

Since some of the DLC is 50% off on Steam, is any of it worth getting? The DLCs that just give you more money and XP seem pretty pointless.

Retro Triad is a fun outfit with worthwile bonuses for early and late game (as soon as I could afford to stop using Face XP bonus items, I never unequipped the +melee damage gloves) and also a kickin' dragon van. Other than that, none of the half-off DLC is really worth it unless you honestly want to have money envelopes around in plain sight to just grab for quick cash. Apparently the police pack isn't bad, with a SWAT outfit that reduces gun damage to you, and a rifle w/ grenade launcher that spawns in your apartment, but for the money it might be too little for too much, depending on how big a respawning rifle would be for you. Nightmare in North Point is looking good though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Actually, never mind, I think. :shobon:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 21, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Until 3 am Eastern tonight (so just under five hours) the coupon code SQRLUVOC gives US buyers of the Amazon PC Download version an additional 25% discount on top of the current 50% discount, dropping it to $18.74+tax (versus Steam's $24.99) -- and it's a Steamworks game!

EDIT: Odd, the code was working just fine last night and it's not yet 3 am Eastern... but yeah, it's not working at this time. :(

Note re: the Assault Rifle w/ Grenade Launcher that it's a rare weapon, I believe late-game-only? So at least there the advantage a bit more pronounced.

Also, re: the EXP boosters -- assuming that you did a reasonable job of trying to maximize cop and triad scores for Vendor Extortion and Night Market Chase, the Top Dog Gold and Top Dog Silver Packs are applied just after the release from jail by Pendrew's intervention and getting the North Point Apartment and get Wei straight to Cop level 7-nearing-8, Triad level 8 and Face level 8.

Also, Nemesis Of Moles, if you were going to name SPL you should have linked straight to the baton scene (best part in my opinion starts at halfway through due to a noticeable stylistic change compared to the first half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZs48lJXhxM

Chortles fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 21, 2012

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'd really like to get in on the Amazon deal. Would anyone be willing to gift to a Canadian goon?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Chortles posted:

Until 3 am Eastern tonight (so just under five hours) the coupon code SQRLUVOC gives US buyers of the Amazon PC Download version an additional 25% discount on top of the current 50% discount, dropping it to $18.74+tax (versus Steam's $24.99) -- and it's a Steamworks game!

Note re: the Assault Rifle w/ Grenade Launcher that it's a rare weapon, I believe late-game-only? So at least there the advantage a bit more pronounced.

Also, re: the EXP boosters -- assuming that you did a reasonable job of trying to maximize cop and triad scores for Vendor Extortion and Night Market Chase, the Top Dog Gold and Top Dog Silver Packs are applied just after the release from jail by Pendrew's intervention and getting the North Point Apartment and get Wei straight to Cop level 7-nearing-8, Triad level 8 and Face level 8.

Also, Nemesis Of Moles, if you were going to name SPL you should have linked straight to the baton scene (best part in my opinion starts at halfway through due to a noticeable stylistic change compared to the first half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZs48lJXhxM

It's saying code isn't valid for me :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Sorry Supplanter and Danith, I just tried it and it came up invalid for me too. :(

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I got 18 hours out of this game and I would consider that a pretty good entertainment:dollar ratio. The thing that I liked most about this game was that the story was actually engaging, which is something I haven't had in an open world sandbox game yet. The only thing I would have liked this game to have is a New Game Plus mode, would make getting the rest of those Triad levels enjoyable and purposeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is this game better played with a controller on a TV or a Mouse/Keyboard on a monitor?

• Locked thread