Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Lucky that it didn't tear apart when you leaned on the screwdriver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah, that would have been a mess. Not included was when I took an hour off to cool down and think about what to do next. I have most of a junkyard blazer in the back of the shop, so I had a spare even if the mount was damaged, but still, it was not how I expected an oil change to go.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you would have peace, prepare for war. :japan:

Call me a pessimist, but I assume every project will go horribly, and am thus sometimes pleasantly surprised. When an oil change takes 20 minutes, it's :hellyeah::hf::cheers: time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Since I'm being everyone's bitch this week I ended up helping my brother install a rear motor mount, short-ram intake and shifter bushings in his MS3. Not sure if the SRI added any power but it really makes the turbo audible as it spools. Also, gently caress you Mazda for not providing a decent jacking point anywhere under the car.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 17, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I finally finished changing out all of the fluids in the truck. Power steering, front and rear diff, transfer case, and transmission now all contain the appropriate formulation of Amsoil. The transmission got a new filter as well. Also, I forgot what a lovely, messy job it is to drop the pan on a full automatic transmission, which is full because the drain plug is some horrible GM shitfest with shallow flats on it that seizes in there and immediately rounds off when you put a wrench on it. :bravo:

I hit a series of small snags, but one of the bigger deals was getting the drat trans filter seal out of there without gouging the poo poo out of the hole it fits into. Along the same vein of the seized rotor removal trick that was posted here recently, this youtube guy had all the answers for removing a trans filter seal from a 4L60E. That weird nut and bolt and wrench and screwdriver thing he does there worked absolutely beautifully. Before, I was attempting to use a penny with a hole drilled through it in conjunction with a long skinny bolt and a pair of vise grips. The idea was to try to hook it from up top and pull on it. Yeah, that didn't work at all.

Anyway, once I slapped all that back together, I changed out of my ATF-and-gear-lube soaked clothes :barf: and drove the truck to NJ to pick up a set of crappy wheels with "OK" tires on them, since the front two on the truck are bald on the outside edges. Ran better than it has since I've owned it, and the trans temp never made it past the first notch on the gauge. :woop:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Had to get it jumped to get to work. :(

Geoj posted:

Also, gently caress you Mazda for not providing a decent jacking point anywhere under the car.

If I understand their current advertising correctly, you're supposed to be doing that in the driver's seat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hey guise, my car seems to be missing and stumbling a lot. Could this be related?

:frogsiren:

yes I am a ricer and I bought a clear distrubutor cap shut up ok

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Why would we rag on that? Plastic's plastic and that's actually a really good idea. I wish I could check to see if mine's full of oil with a flashlight and a mirror instead of pulling it; it's on the back of a RWD I4 right up against the firewall and kind of a bitch.

I want one of those now. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hey guise, my car seems to be missing and stumbling a lot. Could this be related?

:frogsiren:

You'd only be a ricer if it had blue LEDs in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wish I still had a car with a conventional dizzy so I could buy one of those. That's badass.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rhyno posted:

You'd only be a ricer if it had blue LEDs in it.

Well you could see the sparks jumping at night so...kinda? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well you could see the sparks jumping at night so...kinda? :v:

Better cut a hole in the hood so you can see it while driving.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Alas, the clear cap is no more - the whole distributor got replaced today so I'm back to standard-issue black. On the upside, my car is no longer threatening to die at random intervals and has regained a bit of torque, particularly at low engine speeds.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 20, 2012

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I put some new wheels on. They look a little goofy because the car isn't lowered, and they're 205/45s instead of 205/50s. They will work fine for another month when I put my winters on, then in the spring time I can buy some correct sized tires and paint them. I think they're just going to be plastidipped black. 4x4!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I, for one, love a good clean Bronzit E30. :swoon:

(I loving hate those wheels though :barf:)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beach Bum posted:

I, for one, love a good clean Bronzit E30. :swoon:

(I loving hate those wheels though :barf:)

It's actually "sterlingsilber", not bronzit. I don't think the wheels are that bad, and should look better once painted and correct size sidewall.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Changed this little bastard of a bulb

Fortunately it can be done from underneath through the fender lining (unlike the low beams) but its still more of a pain in the arse than a simple bulb change should be.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Pushed my project Daytona into the garage before the snow comes.

Next year my friend, I promise....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Moving on from "poo poo it absolutely needs to move under its own power", to "stuff it could use with this many miles", I ordered..

165k has left the original shocks pretty tired, and the rear springs are sagging bad - I'm tired of it looking like a dog dragging its rear end across the carpet. And hey, no spring compressor needed this way. The front suspension was apart this summer for the transaxle swap, so it should come apart pretty easily. The rear has never been apart to the best of my knowledge, but there's no rust anywhere, so I should be able to knock it out with a friend's impact wrench.

The fun part will be finding time.. full time class load (13 hours) and working 6-7 days a week (30-40 hours) on top of that. :v:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Dropped my TT 300ZX for a full engine build at zsolutionsonline.com, with Brad. Great guy. So great, he said he's gonna keep the car for a week after it's finished and thrash it so if anything's gonna break, it will and it'll be all on him. Should be back in a month to 6 weeks with 600hp or more.
This car, if anyone forgot:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Method Loser posted:

Dropped my TT 300ZX for a full engine build at zsolutionsonline.com, with Brad. Great guy. So great, he said he's gonna keep the car for a week after it's finished and thrash it so if anything's gonna break, it will and it'll be all on him. Should be back in a month to 6 weeks with 600hp or more.
This car, if anyone forgot:

Brad is a great guy, I have know him for a while. He will take care or you and your car and he knows the z32 like no other.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Making me miss my Z :(

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Yesterday:
- Cam tensioner seal and valve cover gasket. Only took me ~8 hours. It's probably a bad thing that I'm really good now with the 4 prong grabber doohicky. I dropped so many bolts/nuts (thankfully not in the engine). That didn't help when I lost one of the valve cover nuts when I was putting it back on. Looked for half an hour before I found it sitting on the connector to the oil temp/level sensor that is on the oil pan...(maybe a different sensor?? - assuming temp or level as there would be no pressure there...).

Today:
- Switched out the N75 (rev C) for a Rev J as it felt like it was surging. Feels like the car is making less boost now... Will have to put on some mileage and see if anything changes.
- Oil change. Might be the last one before it is sold, as I am re-listing now.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Prepped her for sale. She's a bit crusty, but I'll miss her anyway. :( Was going to put it up tonight, but realized that I can't find the title. :ohdear: Going to have to look around for that.

For STR. You can tell it's a Honda again :neckbeard:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

For STR. You can tell it's a Honda again :neckbeard:

As often as those caps get lost/broken, I should start selling those drat things on ebay. There's a shitload of late 80s Accords in the yards here. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ordered a bunch of poo poo for it. New turbo studs for the new Steedspeed manifold I'm finally putting on, new exhaust gaskets, new turbo oil drain hose and o-ring.

Also ARP exhaust manifold studs because gently caress you, Mazda, for apparently using TTY manifold bolts. I removed the manifold and reinstalled it about 2 years ago to replace a leaking manifold gasket, and now a couple of the bolts (which I reused, not knowing this at the time) have backed out and generated an exhaust leak that is slowly melting my loving TIMING COVER. Which I will now have to replace when I do my timing belt job in a few thousand miles here, thanks so loving much for that.

t:mad:t

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My brother brought around his MX5 and we changed the rear brakes on it.
Only a few WTF moments probably due to slight differences in the AU model we're guessing, but pretty easy overall and after a quick spin we were pretty happy that we got it right first time.

Guess that rattle gun wasn't a (minor) waste of money after all.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

As often as those caps get lost/broken, I should start selling those drat things on ebay. There's a shitload of late 80s Accords in the yards here. :v:

From Pocket to Profit: A Tale of Small Commonly Broken Parts, an Ebay Account, and a Dream

You will make tens of dollars! And I'd so steal this idea if Long Island had any god drat Pick n Pulls :argh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I washed, used the clay bar, then polished and waxed. Yesterday I completely detailed the interior. Discovered more rock chips than I care to know about.

Such a gigantic pain in the rear end, but worth saving around $300 for a nice detail. Even then I don't think they clay bar the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gearbox drain/fill, oil change.

I forgot how horrible gear oil smelled :barf: Also forgot how smooth a manual with fresh gear oil shifts :getin:

The Valvoline gear oil is both GL-4/GL-5 compatible, vs. the GL-5 that was in there (and supposedly GL-5 has an appetite for yellow metals.. like synchros). I'm going to be swapping an axle in a couple of months, it'll get something like Redline MT-90 or Nissan MTL at that point. I just wanted to get the GL-5 out. The notchy shifting disappeared immediately after the drain/fill too..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 26, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I just put MT-90 in my '07 corolla and it shifts better than new now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Spent a bunch of money to pretend I'm from europe :v:

Now I just need an all black kidney grille.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If you want a quick and completely unnoticeable solution just plasti-dip the kidneys. It looks great if you make sure to hit it from every angle.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Chinatown posted:

If you want a quick and completely unnoticeable solution just plasti-dip the kidneys. It looks great if you make sure to hit it from every angle.

I thought about it, but an 11oz can in canada is 22.99+tax. And that's if you can find it, almost nowhere carries it around here. Tomorrow I'll check the one place that supposedly carries it.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Crustashio posted:

I thought about it, but an 11oz can in canada is 22.99+tax. And that's if you can find it, almost nowhere carries it around here. Tomorrow I'll check the one place that supposedly carries it.

Good luck. I went to a dozen places that "supposedly carry it" but nobody had even heard of the stuff. If you keep checking, though, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Holdbrooks posted:

Brad is a great guy, I have know him for a while. He will take care or you and your car and he knows the z32 like no other.

I know; when I met him I knew he was my new guy, forever, for my car. He's basically building me his car (the one with the 'RUNS10S' plate, in grey,) with better manis (and a few other things he ain't got) and minus his TH400, instead using my stock 5-speed and a $2500 OS Giken twinplate carbon clutch. It's like 20lbs, flywheel, clutchplates, bolts, and all. He hates it but I like my fast revving; I love the poo poo out of it. Only thing he'll have I won't will be his nitrous setup, which is I guess my next step, if I'm not happy. But I think I will be.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 27, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Crustashio posted:

I've found it locally at Lowe's in Ontario.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: on second thought nobody gives two shits about this.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 28, 2012

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I lost the master key so I had to take out the transponder to flash it:

I am not losing anything Toyota related again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cancelbot posted:

I lost the master key so I had to take out the transponder to flash it:

I am not losing anything Toyota related again.
:stare: