Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYmc2iGaOM

They're getting changed up as the game evolved, the snes-style grass and trees are gone now at least. My problem with it is I really don't like the main character sprite. I think it's too tall and stiff...

Tch, I actually kinda liked the SNES grass and trees. This new stuff is kind of jarring. I've never been a fan of that Flash-esque shakey effect (or the equally Flashsome "little bits of flying brown tree blood"). It just looks overly unnatural, especially in a spritey 2D game like this one. The FF games worked with that "smooth attack animation" thing because the arms only appeared for a split second.

The original Harvest Moon guy had like four frames of animation for swinging his axe; that really isn't a lot of work, especially on a sprite of that size. I agree with Wandering Knitter: they gotta hire a professional instead of doing this Flash poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
It looks like an overhead Terraria/Minecraft at the moment. If a lot of work is put into it, could actually manage to be a complete and enjoyable game with unique mechanics.

Also on their youtube channel: http://youtu.be/Vp3BS7sBzNc

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
I recently picked up Animal Parade for fairly cheap and haven't had a chance to get started on it yet. The most-recently released Harvest Moon game that I've played is Friends of Mineral Town, meaning that I probably am not exactly up to speed on what the latest entries have to offer. Is there anything in particular that I should or shouldn't worry about when starting this up, or will I be fine just eyeballing it blind?

Also, does anyone have a preferred controller choice for it? I've got the wiimote plus, nunchuck, and the classic controller pro.

Thanks!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blind the Thief posted:

I recently picked up Animal Parade for fairly cheap and haven't had a chance to get started on it yet. The most-recently released Harvest Moon game that I've played is Friends of Mineral Town, meaning that I probably am not exactly up to speed on what the latest entries have to offer. Is there anything in particular that I should or shouldn't worry about when starting this up, or will I be fine just eyeballing it blind?

Also, does anyone have a preferred controller choice for it? I've got the wiimote plus, nunchuck, and the classic controller pro.

Thanks!

You know in your heart the only option is Classic Controller Pro. :allears: its such a nice controller...

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm still so sad my Harvest Moon DS file died, I was so looking forward to how that game was going and now I just feel scarred.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

The White Dragon posted:

Tch, I actually kinda liked the SNES grass and trees. This new stuff is kind of jarring. I've never been a fan of that Flash-esque shakey effect (or the equally Flashsome "little bits of flying brown tree blood"). It just looks overly unnatural, especially in a spritey 2D game like this one. The FF games worked with that "smooth attack animation" thing because the arms only appeared for a split second.

The original Harvest Moon guy had like four frames of animation for swinging his axe; that really isn't a lot of work, especially on a sprite of that size. I agree with Wandering Knitter: they gotta hire a professional instead of doing this Flash poo poo.

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with Flash? You think particle effects are 'Flash poo poo'?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raepdog posted:

I'm still so sad my Harvest Moon DS file died

What and how did that happen? Flash memory shouldn't die like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bomblol posted:

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with Flash? You think particle effects are 'Flash poo poo'?
Okay, particle effects then. I think particle effects are garbage and have always looked no-effort, and you see 'em a lot in Flash games.

Saoshyant posted:

Corrupted save would be my guess.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Double Corrupted Saves.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Harvest Moon DS had issues with corrupting your saves, yeah. Also with giving you a bunch of money if you fished in winter or something.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I never got a DS game even going because I had a bug where my village had no villagers. It also had a bunch of other bugs so I pretty much never played it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Raepdog posted:

I'm still so sad my Harvest Moon DS file died, I was so looking forward to how that game was going and now I just feel scarred.
That's the downside of Harvest Moon. To go through all the weed pulling and villager greeting again.. argh!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think I would give my right arm if I could have every single farming game ever created start out with this option:

Have you played this game before? Y/N

That's all I want! I want to skip all of the tutorials, all of the opening cutscenes, and just skip right into the game!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess RF3 I hard to find.

Amazon is out of stock. Checking the bestbuy website doesn't show them as stocking it.

Checked GameStop and it doesn't look like they have any new copies and all of the used ones may or may not be at the stores I would have to call them to see.

So drat what do I have to do o get a copy of this thing? I can't think of any stores that would have it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The few sellers on Amazon UK who still have it have spiked their prices to expensive amounts. All three versions of RF3 seem to be very hard to find now. I bought a US copy when I thought Europe wouldn't be getting it. When I decided, hey, I liked this game so much I will try to secure an European copy, but nope, they are all gone. On my searches on ebay for an EU copy, I immediately noticed there are no US or Japanese copies anymore either.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Annexed posted:

So I guess RF3 I hard to find.

Amazon is out of stock. Checking the bestbuy website doesn't show them as stocking it.

Checked GameStop and it doesn't look like they have any new copies and all of the used ones may or may not be at the stores I would have to call them to see.

So drat what do I have to do o get a copy of this thing? I can't think of any stores that would have it.

Personally, I've found that prices of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games tend to fluctuate as they go in and out of stock. If you don't want to pay the current prices, I would recommend waiting up to a few months to see if the price evens out.

Also, I've never used it, but I've heard that Gamestop has a service where you can ask them in store to try and find what nearby (within a few states) stores have used copies in stock, which they will then ship to your store so that you can buy at their price. (Be sure to ask about the manual and the case, if that matters to you; they often are not included)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Revol posted:

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning starts Nov. 6, special edition includes giant plush cow

When I first saw this, I literally said "Welp, I gotta buy that" out loud to myself. Yeah, the Gamestop pre-order is a yak, but there is no way I have the strength to pass up a Harvest Moon cow plush.

Do I have any options for getting this in Canada? I think I might need it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Since A New Beginning has been out since February in Japan, has anyone heard if it's supposed to be good or not? I don't know much about it, other than the whole customization gimmick.

Rock Epidemic
Mar 17, 2001

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Since A New Beginning has been out since February in Japan, has anyone heard if it's supposed to be good or not? I don't know much about it, other than the whole customization gimmick.

I would love to hear some impressions as well, especially as someone who has largely been playing Rune Factory these days. In addition, did anyone else with a Anniversary Edition pre-order just get a note about it being available tomorrow?

Natsume Inc. posted:

Dear Rock Epidemic,

Thank you for ordering on Natsume Inc.. The release date for the preorder product has changed. The product listed below will now be available on October 19, 2012.

Order ID: XXXXXXXXXX
Product ID: 256110400
Product Name: Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning w/ Premium Plush Cow

If you have questions about your order, please visit: https://www.findmyorder.com

Please note: This email message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Natsume Inc. Customer Service
https://www.findmyorder.com

Rock Epidemic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 18, 2012

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I was wondering about A New Beginning yesterday. Has anyone played that or Rune Factory 4? I don't have a 3DS and the stupid games are region-locked

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Rock Epidemic posted:

In addition, did anyone else with a Anniversary Edition pre-order just get a note about it being available tomorrow?

I have the Anniversary Edition on preorder, and I just received that email, too. Additionally, this was posted on their Facebook:

"We were going to reveal an AWESOME secret tomorrow, but our automated shipping system kind of ruined the surprise... :("

ETA: Additionally, this is in my Natsume order details page: "This order will be shipped after the release date of 10/23/2012"

Catalina fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 18, 2012

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
When I pre-ordered (yesterday, in fact - I must have felt some kind of disturbance in the anime farming force), it immediately told me the anticipated release date was October 19th :3: Cue me googling all over the place and thinking it was some kind of cruel shipping bug until the "surprise" was noted on the Natsume forums and their Facebook page.

Although, my order confirmation page doesn't have the anticipated release date on it anymore, nor does it have an anticipated delivery date or anything like that. They took the money out for it today, though, so I guess it's still going to get shipped with all the other pre-order copies today ...?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Natsume pulled a soft release with Tides of Destiny as well, so if this is going to be their new thing (as opposed to constantly pushing back release dates), I am all for it. :krakentoot:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

poo poo, my order got canceled because I thought it wasn't shipping until November and I didn't have the money in my bank account. I'm replacing it, but scary surprise!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 1, 2014

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Jesto posted:

So there's one thing most, if not all, Harvest Moon games seem to be lacking.

The ability to place your buildings wherever you want on your property. :toot:
That looks cool. Sorry if I'm dense and missed the sarcasm, but I thought that placing buildings anywhere was a major feature of the new Harvest Moon? (I haven't read much about it)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I've read A New Beginning lets you place fields and buildings (you start with your house and a barn, dunno if the barn is movable or not but I would assume so), as well as various decorations you build. Heck, it even goes a step further, as while you work on restoring the village you can apparently place the new buildings too. It sounds pretty great, really, and I'm ordering it soon (hopefully before I miss the chance to get the Anniversary Edition and cow plush).

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can choose the location of your buildings in Harvest Moon DS and Magical Melody so it's not that new of a feature. It's just that in traditional Harvest Moon fashion, the feature was completely ignored in the games that came after.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well poo poo. This is from Amazon,

quote:

Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days.

I guess I am going to have to hunt around for a used copy.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Annexed posted:

I didn't realize this game was so hard to get! If you have to go the gamestop used route, they normally are pretty good at listing if it is in stock at a particular store. It's worth it though, it's an amazing game.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Annexed posted:

You know, I dunno if I'll be playing RF3 again any time soon. Email me. I'm StrenuousManflurry on Gmail, and I'll send it out to you.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
'Sup goons. Look at this cow. See it? GOOD. Her name is Bessie. She has a purple ribbon around her neck. She is a good cow :3:

I always name my first cow Bessie (Or Betsy if I'm limited) in Harvest Moon. Second cow is always Beef; guess where Beef is headed :haw:

Sorry there are no knives, katanas, and/or camera equipment in my lovely cellphone picture. I lack such an arsenal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PlushCow posted:

I always name my first cow Bessie (Or Betsy if I'm limited) in Harvest Moon.

I do the same, actually. Although it's less a tradition and more me being terrible with names; after "Bessie" I generally spend far too long trying to think of a name for any of my animals.

Also, how's A New Beginning? I have it preordered but it's not here yet. Is it good?

Edit: Tangent, I ordered it on the 21, but haven't received an email for it yet. Is this normal?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 25, 2012

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Cute cow! I ordered the yak version so I don't have it yet.

I also name my cow Bessie or Bessy. I also name my chickens Chicky and Cluck and such. Yes I am boring with animal names.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I got lucky and managed to get my copy of a HM: New Beginning on Monday. I can safely say that so far, the game is definitely what I was hoping for. First impressions/some tips ahoy! :words:

The controls are a big thing for me, and they are responsive and intuitive in this game. I found myself getting annoyed with the other DS titles control schemes, but not this one. I guess my only qualm is jumping on/around things sometimes takes a moment to find the right angle.

The storage and save anywhere functionality are good quality of life improvements as well. You're able to skip a lot of tutorials in the beginning as well. The game sets you up pretty well in the beginning and you have all the things you ought to have (fridge, kitchen, etc on day 1).

Story wise, I'm still in the first spring----but the characters feel a bit more lively than older DS HMs. They arent the deepest, but so far compelling enough to warrant befriending most of them.

Also, I have enough to fill up my day by just farming and foraging. In fact, all of my profits have been from crops and bug catching! I'm holding onto material and foraged ingredients (like herbs and bamboo) because many of them are needed to make things in the workshop. I'm swimming in money even though I'm stashing a lot of items for use later.

I would also recommend saving honey bees and honey combs so you can set your bee hives up as soon as they're available!

Basically, this feels like the best harvest moon out right now. Thank goodness. I was disappointed with the latest offerings like ToTT and GB, but my HM itch has been scratched. This feels closer to the N64/PS/GC//Wii games plus modern improvements, which I am very happy about.

Edit: also the 3D does not make my eyes roll around in my head which I also appreciate

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 25, 2012

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

How is the kitchen/cooking interface? Some of the more recent games have been really irksome with the whole quality/new recipe/confirmation thing. I think it was either Grand Bazaar or ToT, but it was like every time you cooked you had to confirm that yes, you liked the recipe this way, blah blah.

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
When you say the characters are lively, just how lively do you mean? I've been horribly spoiled by Rune Factory 3 so I just couldn't stand listening to the ToTT folks robotically utter the same thing day after day. Do they have some variety in what they say, or is all their character based on events?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Thanks for the impressions. I know you said you fill your day with stuff, but even in Tale of Two Towns (with its mission board) I thought it was a huge problem that the days are super long and there's almost nothing to do in them. Is that really fixed in ANB? I also didn't like how in ToTT you'd be bottlenecked by arbitrary stuff - like there was no point collecting lumber because the quality would change each month, making lesser ranked lumber useless, so you just had to collect it when you got the board request for whatever required lumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Wow a lot of questions! In reverse order...

Generally my day was filled with foraging and running around. You can catch bugs until night time in the Spring, so this means I'd hit each outdoor zone twice and empty my bags into the shopping bin each cycle. That, coupled with watering crops 2x a day and herding your cattle keeps you plenty occupied. There's also lots of room for socialization.

Which brings me to the next thing. The characters definitely have more varied dialogue. Some of it is conditional but they seldom (or maybe never?) say the same thing a few days in a row when it comes to the daily filler dialogue. The characters themselves though seem more aware of greater issues in the world (the mayor in particular seems surprisingly smart this go around) and are more dimensional than "I like horses!" "I eat a lot!" I've read translated dialogue and that seems to support my experience thus far. For what it's worth, when I was watching the cutscenes in the intro I actually sympathized with the characters and wanted to make the town successful.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to mess with cooking yet. I'll edit that into this post when I can give it a shot though

Edit: there is NO FRESHNESS bs in this game :woop: there are stars but those aren't a big deal really.

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 26, 2012

• Locked thread