Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crackbone posted:

Apparently no worse than you. :parrot:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

Two questions:

Is trading Taluva for Factory Fun (my Taluva, it's the Cwali edition of FF) a reasonable deal, or is that way too much for way too little?

I'm in Vancouver! Is there a board game store/game night tonight worth going to? Saw One Stop Shop but they seem to have Friday Night Magic (yes yes I know everything does).

I would want more for Taluva than just Factory Fun. Factory Fun is still in print, Taluva isn't, at least not in the States.

There's a guy in Vancouver named Rick Thornquist. He's a very nice guy and a very avid gamer. If you are on Facebook, look him up there. He might have a blog as well but I don't recall now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I see that the next Tabletop episode is Star Fluxx. Good to see they're finally going to showcase one of my all-time favorite games.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Kiranamos posted:

I see that the next Tabletop episode is Star Fluxx. Good to see they're finally going to showcase one of my all-time favorite games.

Judging from the name, I'm guessing it's a heavyweight euro about building telescopes and optimizing the amount of light emitted by a heavenly body which passes through your lens?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Another game of Arkham Horror, another attempt to seal gates before giving up and having the Old One appear only to get blown away by firearms.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

AgentF posted:

Another game of Arkham Horror, another attempt to seal gates before giving up and having the Old One appear only to get blown away by firearms.

Just curious, which old one? I think Ithaqua and Yigg are the only ones we've been able to beat after the awakening. :(

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Nyarlathotep. We made a point to collect clues and we were rolling in them by the time he arrived. He then immediately got gunned down by a hail of lead coming from my pistols akimbo and my teammate's tommy gun. I think we made it just past his second attack before he was killed.

In comparison, the town was swarming with monsters. There were six portals open and that event where the university takes the threat up to 10 and releases 8 monsters onto the board. With a few more monster surges there were easily at least 20 monsters crawling over the board, shutting down the streets and making the mythos phase an operational nightmare. Eventually I just holed up in the Hospital and my teammate the Asylum, cleaning our barrels and adjusting our sights and waiting.

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals

AgentF posted:

Nyarlathotep. We made a point to collect clues and we were rolling in them by the time he arrived. He then immediately got gunned down by a hail of lead coming from my pistols akimbo and my teammate's tommy gun. I think we made it just past his second attack before he was killed.

In comparison, the town was swarming with monsters. There were six portals open and that event where the university takes the threat up to 10 and releases 8 monsters onto the board. With a few more monster surges there were easily at least 20 monsters crawling over the board, shutting down the streets and making the mythos phase an operational nightmare. Eventually I just holed up in the Hospital and my teammate the Asylum, cleaning our barrels and adjusting our sights and waiting.

I'm sure other people will comment on this but were you playing with expansion boards because there should be a limit of only 7 monsters in Arkham with 2 players. Also try either playing with 2 investigators each or a double turn variant (equal to 4 players in either case) before pulling your mythos card for a more balanced game.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I know there's a limit to the monsters that can be in the city (and then a second, different limit for the monsters in the outskirts), but this event had taken the terror level up to 10 and so the limits were removed. Instead it became a shitload of monsters filling the streets and playing loud music all night and taking public service jobs to keep the town running.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AgentF posted:

I know there's a limit to the monsters that can be in the city (and then a second, different limit for the monsters in the outskirts), but this event had taken the terror level up to 10 and so the limits were removed. Instead it became a shitload of monsters filling the streets and playing loud music all night and taking public service jobs to keep the town running.

This is one of the most commonly forgotten rules in Arkham Horror, probably because it happens so rarely.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

homullus posted:

Weary Traveler used to have a big shelf of games, don't know whether it still does. Not really the same thing as a gaming bar, but the intention was there to have it be a place where people would drink and play.
They still do, though beyond Lost Cities and Carcassonne it is mostly family favorite boardgames like Yahtzee and UNO. Still a pretty cool time waster if you are there for late-riser brunch.

I'll have to check out Traveler's Hearth. I still need to make it by I'm Board! too (also in Middleton).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
CSI has Space Alert back in stock.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tenderloin posted:

I'll have to check out Traveler's Hearth. I still need to make it by I'm Board! too (also in Middleton).

Both are pretty cool places. Heck of a lot better than the other game stores in town for your board gaming needs (thank God).

Traveler's has the problem of being new, but I think if people start using it (especially as a game meet-up location), it will shine pretty quickly.

I'm Board is a pretty cool place, though. People who frequent the store don't seem to be "hardcore" board gamers, but they are definitely hobbyists.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AgentF posted:

Huh. Just playing vanilla Arkham, we have never not been able to seal enough gates before the Old One wakes up before we ran with the “official house rule” that removed the ability to win that way — it was just too easy if everyone put in the effort and separated into two alternating “monster bash” and exploration teams.

We got close once with Yig, but that was because we managed to pull what had to be every cultist in the cup but then got lucky and managed to find three elder signs to get the track down to a manageable level again. At this point, we're considering house-ruling away dissecting because it makes it too easy to get mass-produce clue tokens.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just stopped in the Traveler's Hearth and it was packed to the walls because they had some live action role play going on. Good selection of games what I could see, and the layout is really nice. Their stock of games to play there is basically one of everything. Huge selection. Looking forward to going out there with a few friends and just hanging out with some coffee.

I'm Board is probably still the best location for selection, IMO. Their rewards program is pretty decent, too.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I got to try my newly attained copy of Sky Traders today, and it was...okay. There are some cool mechanics going on in the game, but a lot of that gets offset by how much dicefuckery there (the market goods felt like they could succumb to fate of the dice most of all) is and by how drat long the game is. Our three-player game took three hours to finish, and frankly I don't think there's enough depth for how long the game goes one, making it feel stretched. Of course, I think the game could go on much quicker if we utilized some of the more valuable (but risky) goods instead of playing safe (i.e. I feel we didn't play anywhere near optimal).

Overall, it's okay and I'm not as sad about my purchase as when I first read up on it on BGG. The components and production values are great; it is Fantasy Flight after all. A lot of its ideas sound pretty good on paper, but if you don't like dice rolling ruining your game then stay clear of this one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tippis posted:

Huh. Just playing vanilla Arkham, we have never not been able to seal enough gates before the Old One wakes up before we ran with the “official house rule” that removed the ability to win that way — it was just too easy if everyone put in the effort and separated into two alternating “monster bash” and exploration teams.

Vanilla Arkham is pretty easy once you know where the common hotspots are and prioritise them correctly. Forget about house ruling it - it's time for you to add Dunwich to the mix. When that gets too easy, add Innsmouth. Or you could try The King In Yellow with the Miskatonic Horror Act cards.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Trip Report from Essen '12!

This year was simply amazing. We entered at 10am sharp and left at 7pm, making the most of our time, but still it felt like we'd only been there four hours, and didn't even manage to see the whole expo. This year I wised up and made a list of stuff I found interesting before we went, and amazingly, I got to play all except one of the games I wanted (Suburbia wasn't set up to play)! To top it off, I also got some sweet deals, with the main prize being Space Alert for 25 € (retails for 36 € here).

But the real highlight of the day happened right before we where leaving. We finally managed to snag a table for Archipelago at about 6pm, and looked for someone to teach us the rules. After a while this guy comes up to us and says "All the people who can teach the game are busy, but if you want, I can teach you... I'm the designer." It was very cool to sit down with Christophe Boelinger and see the enthusiasm that he felt for his game. He was also very funny and charming. Too bad the game is quite steep with the 55 € pricetag, so I didn't buy it. Kinda regret not getting it signed by Christophe and the artist, who was also hanging around and deserves a lot of high praise for this gorgeous-looking game.

We also played Spartacus, which had the Battlestar Galactica effect for me... "A game based on a TV series? Can't be that great... oh wait, it's awesome!".

Tried Dungeon Fighters, I was the only one of the group who didn't quite like it, but then I don't usually like dexterity games.

Libertalia was a game we tried on a whim and ended up being one of the best we played, reminded me a little of Citadels, but with more substance... and more pirates!

Expedition: Congo River sucked, but the table was empty, so what the hell.

And then came the shopping. My haul consisted of Space Alert (25 €), Mundus Novus (17€) Citadels (10€), Carcassonne Mayflower (9€) and the Zooloretto Goodie Box (5€), giving me some games to play with my group and Carcassonne and Zooloretto to get the gf to try some games as well. Others in my group bought Spartacus, Battlestar Galactica, Copycat, the Eclipse expansion, Agricola, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, Kingdom Builder and most likely some other stuff I'm forgetting. With all these games, my car seemed to go a lot slower on the way back, but the trip was well worth it!

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 21, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How did Archipelago play? The rules made it seems pretty fiddly, but I dunno how that translates to the game itself.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
We only got to play 1 or 2 rounds before we had to go, so I only got a quick first impression, which I liked. There is a lot to keep track of, though. For example, there are 6 resources that can be sold to two different markets, and flooding a market with a particular resource can in turn lead to unemployment (too many available fish lead to unemployed fishermen), which in turn can lead to advances on the revolt tracker. It seems complex, but also logical. Christophe said that the first time playing takes a while since you have to learn the rules, but after that the rules feel natural, which I already experienced after our short time with the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Vanilla Arkham is pretty easy once you know where the common hotspots are and prioritise them correctly. Forget about house ruling it - it's time for you to add Dunwich to the mix. When that gets too easy, add Innsmouth. Or you could try The King In Yellow with the Miskatonic Horror Act cards.
Yes, I've been looking at expanding it, but at this point simple lack of table space makes it less of an option to run any of the additional boards. From what I've read, it seems the various “herald” variants that you can get of the card-only expansions can push the pace quite a bit as far as speeding up both the doom and terror tracks, is that correct?

The group really likes the game — often because rather than in spite of the absurdities the randomness can cause — but something is really needed to ramp up the difficulty and the first step we took was to add some of the changes suggested in the designer house rules posted on FFA's site.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The King in Yellow makes raising the Terror level hurt, as opposed to the usual "does nothing of importance" that it is in most games. I think it is generally considered the hardest small box expansion.

Also, you mentioned house rules, and the one that my friends and I play with (and is part of the "official" house rules sheet) that adds just a bit more difficulty is playing with the gate cards face down until you actual enter the gate. Sucks getting surprise lost in R'lyeh, let me tell you.

Even without the board, Dunwich Horror can make the game more difficult solely because it dilutes the Unique Item deck, so that you have less of a chance of getting Elder Signs. If you add the non-Dunwich mythos cards, they add Gate Bursts, which can also make things...frustrating. Some people don't like Gate Bursts, though, as it can tend to be the "Free Parking" rule of Arkham Horror, in that it just adds game length. But I think it is also a nice solid kick in the nuts, as well. The Dunwich board itself divides the character's attentions, as someone needs to make sure stuff doesn't go to the gate, but in the few games I've played with it, it hasn't been the biggest deal in the world. I really do think decreasing the chance of elder signs, gate bursts, and more locations for gates to open are the biggest contributors to making the game harder overall.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, you mentioned house rules, and the one that my friends and I play with (and is part of the "official" house rules sheet) that adds just a bit more difficulty is playing with the gate cards face down until you actual enter the gate. Sucks getting surprise lost in R'lyeh, let me tell you.
Wait, you're supposed to play them face-up before they're used?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

If you add the non-Dunwich mythos cards, they add Gate Bursts, which can also make things...frustrating. Some people don't like Gate Bursts, though, as it can tend to be the "Free Parking" rule of Arkham Horror, in that it just adds game length.

What? If anything, gate bursts shorten game length. Maximum game length is determined by how fast the Doom Track fills. No Doom token is added if a gate can't open, so if you seal the busy locations then you can play almost indefinitely until you get the remaining seals you need. Gate bursts make you need to use more turns to win, but they add a Doom token and so reduce the number of turns you potentially have.

Also, I seem to recall that Dunwich has the Mythos cards that add two Doom tokens instead of a gate. These likewise shorten the game by reducing the maximum number of turns and by making it slightly easier to win by having no open gates.

Scion3872
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

This is one of the most commonly forgotten rules in Arkham Horror, probably because it happens so rarely.

This is not 100% true, while the monster limit is removed, there is another rule which states that if the terror level is 10 and the number of monsters in play is double the normal limit, the Old One awakens immediately.

So it is impossible to have 20 monsters on the board like the example given. Unless there are 7 or 8 people playing, in which case the Old One awakening limit is 20 and 22 respectively.

Scion3872 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 21, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Years after everyone here discussed how it's impossible to play Arkham Horror without making mistakes, I'm playing Arkham Horror and making mistakes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Travel Blog: Fun, light, informative. A nice game you get out once a month or so.

BSG with 5 people: Was expecting it to be "Classic BSG" after typically using 6 or 7. No Cylon Leader, no odd rules, just base game + peg + cylon fleet. Except two cylons popped on the first two turns (including the only political character and only pilot), leaving Cally, Tyrol, and Gaeta to keep things steady.

We lost at 4 distance. I could have easily seen us losing by any metric except "is Galactica fully damaged" (we were fantastic at repairs!). Command is so goddamn inefficient compared to CAG, and MB is great unless you keep getting 3s and 1s. The thought was that maybe we should have tried to airlock one of our own to get a pilot, but I just viewed that as postponing the inevitable and ensuring we'd lose by morale at some point (we were in the red at 2 distance).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

What? If anything, gate bursts shorten game length. Maximum game length is determined by how fast the Doom Track fills. No Doom token is added if a gate can't open, so if you seal the busy locations then you can play almost indefinitely until you get the remaining seals you need. Gate bursts make you need to use more turns to win, but they add a Doom token and so reduce the number of turns you potentially have.
The rules for gate bursts actually specifically note that you don't place an additional doom token.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AgentF posted:

Years after everyone here discussed how it's impossible to play Arkham Horror without making mistakes, I'm playing Arkham Horror and making mistakes.

I've played Arkham Horror once, which was more than enough, but I'd subscribe to an Arkham Horror thread without question.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

NGDBSS posted:

The rules for gate bursts actually specifically note that you don't place an additional doom token.
Yes, but they allow further gates to be placed in the future.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I'd have to look at that again. I recall gate bursts as functioning identically to regular gates except they remove seals and make flyers move. Even if I'm wrong, though, bursts still reduce the capacity for players to lengthen the game as they're now vulnerable to surges or new gates at the location.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'd have to look at that again. I recall gate bursts as functioning identically to regular gates except they remove seals and make flyers move. Even if I'm wrong, though, bursts still reduce the capacity for players to lengthen the game as they're now vulnerable to surges or new gates at the location.

:confused: My experience is that, even without the insta-win condition, sealing gates only ever shortens the game: you get rounds where nothing bad happens (except maybe some monster movement that might screw up your plans) so everyone gets one free step at whatever actions they have planned to win the game — clear out more monsters to keep the terror track in check; farm the shoppe for elder signs; close more gates…

Even if you might get more surges with the seal gone, it still means more time is spent on trying to deal with the influx and on closing gates so I don't quite see how it would shorten the game. I suppose that if players had a habit of spending those gate-on-sealed-location turns on just faffing about, but that's not so much the game being slower as the players wasting turns.

At any rate, I went and bought The King in Yellow and (for no particular reason) Black Goat of the Woods… and those double-doom cards (and, at first glance, the freak chance of drawing three Act cards in rapid succession) should spice things up for us. :choo:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tippis posted:

:confused: My experience is that, even without the insta-win condition, sealing gates only ever shortens the game: you get rounds where nothing bad happens (except maybe some monster movement that might screw up your plans) so everyone gets one free step at whatever actions they have planned to win the game — clear out more monsters to keep the terror track in check; farm the shoppe for elder signs; close more gates…

Exactly, and that takes turns. There are a finite number of turns in the game, but that number increases by one per investigator when you get a bounce. It's not faffing about to use those turns to accumulate more gear when the board is under control; in fact, sometimes you may have to do that before you can seal or close a gate or farm the Shoppe. But it doesn't shorten the game, it only increases the odds of winning. Gate bursts take that luxury away from you, forcing you into attempting to end the game without the extra resources.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tekopo posted:

I like Flash Point more than I like Pandemic.

Yeah Flash Point is awesome. I picked up a copy a few weeks ago and we've played it a couple of times. The games are super tense and close, it's really simple to explain and everyone gets totally into it. Great game.

Speaking of games, I bought The Resistance based on this thread's recommendation. Played a couple of games with seven players and I have to say, the game seems EXTREMELY hard for the Resistance and basically requires them all to play perfectly to have any chance of winning. You have so few chances to gather any clues on your allies and enemies before you get to the choices that decide the game.

I don't think we missed any rules, so is it just a case of the game's difficulty spiking with certain numbers of players? Maybe it'd play best with 6, 8 or 10 instead of 5, 7 or 9? I guess we'll have to try the Plot Thickens cards next time around and see if that helps a little.

GrandpaPants posted:

Gate cards are not stored face up. Do you mean the circular gate chits? Because that sounds like a fun idea.

Tippis posted:

At any rate, I went and bought The King in Yellow and (for no particular reason) Black Goat of the Woods… and those double-doom cards (and, at first glance, the freak chance of drawing three Act cards in rapid succession) should spice things up for us. :choo:

The King in Yellow is a god drat savage motherfucker of an expansion. Not only does the terror track suddenly become terrible indeed, but nothing will derail your game into horror town faster than getting a couple of "The next act begins..." cards in succession.

The Lurker at the Threshold is also good. When you play with him as your Herald, players are constantly tempted to go to him for help on casting spells and other little things. Usually you don't, of course, but then you get that turn where that spell going off is the decider between a fighting chance and disaster and so you do. Only to discover that once you give him a finger, he'll take your arm and then beat you to death with that arm as the reckoning comes.

And the new gates? Fun! How about gates which drive you insane if you fail to close them? Or a gate which devours you if it opens up on you? Or a moving gate?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 21, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There aren't really any rules you could have missed. It's probably some elements of strategy that you're missing. For one, Resistance members should be voting things down, a lot. Use those votes to look at what people voted and the missions that were proposed to give you clues as to their loyalty; don't rely on just looking at failed/passed missions. Always propose missions that have yourself on them - you know your own loyalty is good. Once you've figured out one spy, think back to what missions that person has proposed; there probably aren't any other spies on them, since spies don't like to go on missions together and risk double-sabotaging (that's not foolproof, though, 'cause some spies have the balls to propose missions and then hope they get voted down).

Other than that, I dunno, I find that the resistance wins often enough.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

since spies don't like to go on missions together and risk double-sabotaging

One person, one time, said something like "if we're double spies, the person nearest, clockwise, to the leader fails it" - and double spies has never been a consideration in our group again. Though one of my fonder memories is in one of our first games, and I outright told the other spy on a mission "I got this" and nobody noticed.

As to rules, we discovered one thing we got wrong here in this thread - votes for mission groups are done simultaneously, but your votes are public (we had been doing this as a secret vote, like the mission pass/fail).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
When I'm with another spy, I say something like, "I'm going to play my blue card. I'm not going to sabotage this mission. I'm a good guy," to alert the other spy to sabotage. It just sounds like regular poo poo talk!

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
I'm into the more serious games (Robo Rally, Space Alert, etc.) but I also like a light game, maybe a card game like Loot to warm up the night or wrap it up. What other easily learned, relatively short (30 minute range) games would you guys recommend?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Moogs posted:

I'm into the more serious games (Robo Rally, Space Alert, etc.) but I also like a light game, maybe a card game like Loot to warm up the night or wrap it up. What other easily learned, relatively short (30 minute range) games would you guys recommend?

My group really likes Ascension for this, but then again we all prefer Ascension over Dominion which I know puts me in a minority around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Moogs posted:

Robo Rally is a serious game?

To me it's a game where despite meticulous planning you drive off a cliff then get lasered to poo poo when you come back while everyone laughs, then we end the game after playing it for about an hour after only one person has reached the second checkpoint :v:

No Thanks is pretty fun. One of my personal favourites is Pit, which is a classic realtime trading game with potentially lots of yelling. A single round lasts 5-10 minutes and scales great for 3-8 players, but my love for this game is not shared by my current group :(

• Locked thread