Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Shalinor posted:

In retrospect, I wonder if that was one of the era's goofy attempts at copy protection.

That was exactly why they did it. It was their version of, "Locate the word on page 3, line 5 of the manual."
Sucks that upon certain rereleases, this was forgotten and no one bothered to include a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I suspect that it was the Collection. I remember that instead of reproducing the funny, in-character manual for QFG4, they just copied the elemental codes out onto a piece of paper. I don't remember having a map of QFG2's city, either.

I do remember having to load 3 and 4 up on an old 486, because of some clock-dependent events that went absolutely haywire on faster machines.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shalinor posted:

... I can't remember the details, but, if I remember correctly - no, it didn't. Not always.

There was something where, depending on the version you bought, the map wasn't included. I don't know if that was the original release, or a re-release, or maybe the 3 game collection or what - but I distinctly remember that being one of those "what the gently caress" sorts of things.

You could still solve the maze on your own, by mapping it, and you eventually get an in-game map or fast travel or something I don't remember, but that initial trip to the coin changer was hell on toast. It was also one of the first things you had to do which gated almost everything else, so... yikes.

There it is. I never got those goddamn coins changed. :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Giana Sisters game is finished and will be released in two days on GOG and Gamersgate, and since it's been green-lit, on Steam later on, so this looks like another Kickstarter success to me. It's nice to hear about Kickstarter games that don't crash and burn. The "box art" is pretty horrifying, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 21, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Renoistic posted:

The Giana Sisters game is finished and will be released in two days on GOG and Gamersgate, and since it's been green-lit, on Steam later on, so this looks like another Kickstarter success to me. It's nice to hear about Kickstarter games that don't crash and burn. The "box art" is pretty horrifying, though.

Holy crap, that was insanely fast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renoistic posted:

I used to have a copy of the original before someone stole it. The box art was always horrifying.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Holy crap, that was insanely fast.

Well they were pretty close to release already, all they needed the money for was to polish the game up and finish some levels. And maybe a bit of marketing.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
The Ars Magica CRPG Kickstarter has its first update up, having to do with spells and magic:

quote:

In the Ars Magica tabletop game, magic is divided into 5 Techniques and 10 Forms, and the combination of these are how spells are classified. At its simplest, you choose a Technique (for instance, ‘Perdo’, which means ‘I destroy’) and apply it to a Form (‘Corpus’, which means ‘Body’) and get a result- in this case, something that destroys humans or human-like bodies. The actual effect depends on the spell you’re casting, and could range (in this case) from tearing a large wound open in a foe, to starting a deadly plague in an entire city. Don’t cross Ars Magica wizards. Seriously. Don’t.

You can create almost any spell you can imagine using these rules, and pretty much every Ars Magica player has a story about an amazing spell they’ve created, and what it did. One of our patrons mentioned that he had once created a spell which turned a person’s memories of evil deeds into fire...an excellent reason to be good, boys and girls. ;)

The power of this System can be applied almost everywhere you need it, great or small. Local lord being difficult? Pull down his castle walls. Need to get a message somewhere? Let dreams carry it for you. Not strong enough to lift that boulder? There’s a spell for that.

What’s even better is that you don’t even need to know the Spell- you can do it all at a moment’s notice, through Spontaneous Magic! It’s just a whole lot easier if you know the Spell.

So, how will this kind of, frankly unlimited, power be implemented in the game?

We don't need to tell you that this is THE problem of an Ars Magica game- undoubtedly, it's the reason why any designer or developer that has looked at this has shivered, and slowly backed away in horror. Firstly, and most importantly, we're including only the Spells in the 5E rulebook (along with KS Spells created by Players) in the launch game. This has the critical benefit of allowing us to know what's going to be possible with Spells before we ever begin to implement.

These Spells, and more importantly, their Spell Effects, are divided into three categories: Covenant, Adventure and Battle gameplay. Spells don't necessarily neatly fit, either- they can (and often do) belong to one or more categories.

Covenant Spells contain all the Spell Effects you use to upgrade your demesne and provide long-term boosts. This category also contains information gathering and quality of life Spells, which affect the Covenant overall, or which may provide information you need to unlock actions and opportunities. These you can cast instantly, in some cases, or ritually in others, paying the costs as required.

Adventure Spells are those which can directly affect the course of a dialogue, an exploration or in some way provide investigational tools. These Spells include the ability to read minds, boost Abilities, and find new ways to collect information. As before, you can cast these whenever you feel useful. And, if you don't, you can miss important information- so there's a bit of a puzzle aspect to your adventures, especially in investigations.

Battle Spells are those which deal damage, apply states, boosts and change the environment. These kinds of Spells are fairly straightforward, but it's important to note that Battle does not just refer to simply physical combat; it could also be a tense diplomatic exchange, finding your way through a savage forest or struggling with your inner demons. Our engine is built to be flexible for these kinds of story needs, and you'll see Spells that you wouldn't normally consider 'Battle' Spells having a crossover for certain kinds of Battle.

...so, where does this leave Spontaneous Magic? First, Spontaneous Magic can replicate the Effects of any Spell in the game, whether you know it or not. Secondly, Spontaneous Magic can appear as a special (scripted) option in any portion of the game, for especially those areas where simple magic is called for that doesn't have a Spell analogue.

We think this is the best approximation we can get to the deep and encompassing grimoire that makes up the 15 Arts of Ars Magica. It preserves the flexibility, the power and the sheer variety of Spells, while preserving the most important thing to a game: their usefulness!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/332639

I so want this to succeed, yet that seems a bit unlikely at the moment... They really need more press coverage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ugh, I'm so conflicted. I adore the Quest for Glory series and consequently the Coles but the art for this is so off-putting. The location concept art looks good but the overhead gameplay mock-ups look like rear end. It says they're concepts, too, but still... a little too rogue-like for me.

If it comes down to a final push, I'll probably contribute, but I'd rather have them tackle the adventure/RPG hybrid they pulled off like no one else ever did.

The art must be pretty bad to have me longing for this:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What are you talking about? That looks great and way better than anything they're showing :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's what I'm saying? Pretty bad that I'm out here pining for EGA graphics circa 1992.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Demicol posted:

Didn't see this mentioned, ctr+f'd "strike" the last 5 pages:
Strike Suit Zero
It's a space combat game like Wing Commander etc but your ship can temporarily turn into a mecha/robot.
Mech design is done by Junji Okubo (Steel Battalion, Infinite Space, Appleseed: Ex Machina and Viper’s Creed)

It looks amazing.

Well drat, I have GOT to support this! :hawaaaafap: Gonna drop $50 on it for now, maybe up it later, depending.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My favourite Ars Majica memory was when my Mage used his ranger like Animal Mind style ability to convince a charging cavalryman that he was a spawning salmon who leapt off his horse and flopped on the ground.

My backing will be granted on knowing I can do this. :colbert:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

epitasis posted:

Ugh, I'm so conflicted. I adore the Quest for Glory series and consequently the Coles but the art for this is so off-putting.[/timg]

The faq says it is placeholder art to show the perspective.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

epitasis posted:

If it comes down to a final push, I'll probably contribute, but I'd rather have them tackle the adventure/RPG hybrid they pulled off like no one else ever did.

So would I, but from a brief contact with Cole I found out that they're really leery of giving Activision's lawyers any excuse to come calling. That was the reason he gave me for why they wouldn't put Antwerps in, and I wouldn't be completely surprised if it's part of their reason for going with a turn-based RPG instead of something QFG-styled.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Since there seems to be some Quest for Glory nostalgia here, and some were mentioning hating the maze in 2, here is a link to the free VGA remake, which fixed that issue (or at least made it a lot easier to deal with): http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

I know this really isn't the thread for that, but 2 was the only one I never got to beat back in the day (not counting 5 of course), and it was nice to go back and try an "improved" version.

On-topic, I did contribute to the Cole's Kickstarter, but I do think they should have tried to have a bit more to show before starting it. I get the feeling they're kind of jumping on the retro nostalgia bandwagon here. They also come off as being pretty awkward people in their video, which probably won't help.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I don't know…

The maze of QfG2 was just a matter of getting that first dinar to buy the map, and then it solved itself. As far as “issues” (or even puzzles) go with old Sierra games, it was pretty light-weight one.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Tippis posted:

The maze of QfG2 was just a matter of getting that first dinar to buy the map, and then it solved itself. As far as “issues” (or even puzzles) go with old Sierra games, it was pretty light-weight one.
It only sticks out because, aside from that, QFG was a bastion of relatively good, straightforward design. If that had been in a King's Quest, Space Quest or Leisure Suit Larry, alright. Hell, Leisure Suit Larry's swamp was even worse (since that was back when most of us didn't have color monitors).

... speaking of, I kind of want Roberta Roberts to do a Kickstarter and make a modern just-as-hard King's Quest. Remake King's Quest 3 or something. It would be awesome, to see how today's gamers did with a game like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shalinor posted:

It only sticks out because, aside from that, QFG was a bastion of relatively good, straightforward design. If that had been in a King's Quest, Space Quest or Leisure Suit Larry, alright. Hell, Leisure Suit Larry's swamp was even worse (since that was back when most of us didn't have color monitors).
I suppose. I'd say it's more in the vein of the LSL3 nectarine song, though: part “soft” copy protection, part exploration puzzle, and part RTFM for hints. I also felt it was right at home, thematically.

quote:

... speaking of, I kind of want Roberta Roberts to do a Kickstarter and make a modern just-as-hard King's Quest. Remake King's Quest 3 or something. It would be awesome, to see how today's gamers did with a game like that.
I was always partial to KQ4, but hell yes. Now if only she hadn't sworn never to indulge those dirty low-life nerds ever again… :D

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Well I imagine Shalinor mentioned King's Quest 3 specifically because it is the biggest rear end in a top hat game in history. That thing loves to punish the player.

And of course I was playing KQ4 the other day and walked off a cliff to my death after ten minutes of aimless wandering. Any other game would have had your character stop at the edge, but Roberta Williams just loved to be mean.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think the problem with the Ars Magica Kickstarter is that the price point is too high right now. They don't have a prototype, they don't have a team of Obsidian's caliber. They have a pretty good concept, but that's just not enough to make me give them twenty dollars. I'd give ten. Fifteen if the mock-ups of their UI they post are really good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In an exciting turn of events, just as Distance, the kickass arcade exploration racing game, and Star Citizen, the game nerds like me have been wanting for years, both decide to do AMAs on reddit, reddit goes down. HILARIOUS.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

I'd expect a bad, but complete Let's Play on Youtube within a week. It's a lot easier to find other people working on the same game these days, than it was when Sierra was selling hint books for twenty bucks a shot and running their toll line for clues.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

TychoCelchuuu posted:

In an exciting turn of events, just as Distance, the kickass arcade exploration racing game, and Star Citizen, the game nerds like me have been wanting for years, both decide to do AMAs on reddit, reddit goes down. HILARIOUS.

MORE, the turn based 4x space strategy game, just did one yesterday. Nice to see a lot of developers willing to answer questions.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Megazver posted:

I think the problem with the Ars Magica Kickstarter is that the price point is too high right now. They don't have a prototype, they don't have a team of Obsidian's caliber. They have a pretty good concept, but that's just not enough to make me give them twenty dollars. I'd give ten. Fifteen if the mock-ups of their UI they post are really good.

Agreed, especially with how much would be a reasonable pledge. After playing Black Chicken Studios' latest game, 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum, I'd be very wary of giving them money unless I had specific details about the art, game engine, and user interface. The thing about Black Chicken Studios' games is, the majority of the writing is consistently good, but other aspects of their games are erratic in quality. The interface in Academagia and the art in Scheherazade are quite nonprofessional, especially for the $25 asking price.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Catalina posted:

Agreed, especially with how much would be a reasonable pledge. After playing Black Chicken Studios' latest game, 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum, I'd be very wary of giving them money unless I had specific details about the art, game engine, and user interface. The thing about Black Chicken Studios' games is, the majority of the writing is consistently good, but other aspects of their games are erratic in quality. The interface in Academagia and the art in Scheherazade are quite nonprofessional, especially for the $25 asking price.

I posted saying a such in their comments, but their guy in charge of the comments doesn't seem to get it. It would be nice if a few more people supported me there. :(

I do want an Ars Magica game done in the KoDP fashion, but only if it's done properly.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Catalina posted:

but other aspects of their games are erratic in quality. The interface in Academagia and the art in Scheherazade are quite nonprofessional, especially for the $25 asking price.
I think the main problem is that they are an indie company and lacked the budget for other area of the game, but they do pump it all into the core gameplay. Hopefully, it should be fine with 290k funding the game though.

The concept art will be up next Tuesday I think, and more game design skatch at later weeks, so we will see.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Megazver posted:

I posted saying a such in their comments, but their guy in charge of the comments doesn't seem to get it. It would be nice if a few more people supported me there. :(

I do want an Ars Magica game done in the KoDP fashion, but only if it's done properly.

The comments section in the Kickstarter or on their forums?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Did all the QFG Fans follow this Kick Starter?
Quest for Infamy

It should be out by the end of the year

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ruthlessly old school MMORPG Project Gorgon is about to start giving out alpha access to backers; just got the message about it. Apparently they're starting out without a standalone client, though there will be one in the future, so right now they'll be using the(pretty good, in my experience) Unity browser plugin.

If you missed it, the project is here, although given the way people reacted last time I doubt there are enough people here to surmount the fairly substantial gap between what they have and the $55,000 goal in just 11 days.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I just tried out the free Nitronic Rush last night besides not being a racing fan, and I was surprised, I had a ton of fun with it! Played straight through the hardcore levels. Anyone that wants to try it and is even an little achievement junkie, watch out: there's an achievement for resetting your achievements, so do it first. Hopefully the funds to Distance will pick up. I am a bit worried about them using Unity, though (a slight case of "once bitten, twice shy", and although I hear it is a good game engine I can't think of any real AAA-quality titles built with it, and even the ones I've played tend to have a sameish feel to them, particularly the first-person and platformer ones I've tried). Also, the $5,000 dollar for a custom vehicle thing; I'd really hoped when I first heard of it that there would be vehicle modding (I mean, there's already going to be a level editor) and was hoping maybe it could be a stretch goal. The cars seem a little fat and flat, too. But besides that I'm really excited about it!

Edit: Ah, they talked about vehicle customization and (immediate) car physics tweaking in that AMA.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 23, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

GateheaD posted:

Did all the QFG Fans follow this Kick Starter?
Quest for Infamy

Nope, missed that one!

Presented without comment:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unity is specifically targeted towards indies so of course you can't think of any AAA games that use it. Besides, there are plenty of cool Unity games, such as Runespell, Rochard, and Triple Town.

Or check out this:
http://blurst.com/minotaur-china-shop/

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I said AAA-quality. I've played some of Rochard and a ton of web demos of various types, but I'll look at your link later. Thanks!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 23, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I said AAA-quality. I've played some of Rochard and a ton of web demos of various types, but I'll look at your link later. Thanks!

There aren't any, this is the answer that was provided.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess I'm confused about what AAA-quality means in this context. That is, if it means something other than "big budget"/not indie.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unity has a low barrier to entry. That doesn't make it a bad engine, but it does make it so there's a non-stop flow of awful games using it. I'm no programmer, but from all accounts Unity is a perfectly fine engine that can scale up to be fairly powerful. It's not Unreal Engine powerful, but it's also a lot cheaper.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"AAA" generally means a multimillion-dollar budget for both development and marketing. It's the industry equivalent of a "tentpole" movie; there aren't explicit definitions for what makes an AAA game or a tentpole movie, it's more the scale of the production, the sales and quality expectations and the degree to which the studio/publisher is reliant upon its success to drive income for the next year or few years.

The Verge posted:

The expense of developing a AAA game is old news. With teams often starting at 100 people and budgets soaring to multiple hundreds of millions of dollars, developing a AAA game is rapidly becoming one of the most expensive enterprises humans can undertake, outside of building battleships, launching space vehicles or making movies.

So no, there are no AAA games made in Unity...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Giana Sisters - Twisted Dreams has been released on Steam, along with a spiffy new trailer, so check it out!

EDIT: And it's pretty fun to play too! There's a couple of different game modes like the insane uber hardcore mode where you go back to level 1 if you die (no thanks) and some unlockable artwork. You can also choose to only play the "cute" or "punk" music with no switching if you want.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Giana Sisters - Twisted Dreams has been released on Steam, along with a spiffy new trailer, so check it out!

EDIT: And it's pretty fun to play too! There's a couple of different game modes like the insane uber hardcore mode where you go back to level 1 if you die (no thanks) and some unlockable artwork. You can also choose to only play the "cute" or "punk" music with no switching if you want.

Is there actually more music other than those two tracks?

The last Giana game these guys made was exceedingly middling, which is why I didn't pledge for this one. Surprised it's coming out this early, but I guess they must've been working on it for a while. I hope it's good.