Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

Which way to you shovel? This is the way you should hold your stick. Usually dominant hand towards the end of the stick.

<-- Lefty who shoots right.

Ok, now I'm confused and will have to borrow one of my teammates left sticks... not to use during the game, but during a stick and puck or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Which way to you shovel? This is the way you should hold your stick. Usually dominant hand towards the end of the stick.

And suddenly all those "I can't get power in my shots please watch my video of me shoveling the puck" posts from people make sense.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Righty who shoots right here.

I'm bad enough shooting on my right. It would take years and years to make me somewhat not terrible shooting and stick-handling left.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

<-- Lefty who shoots right.
I don't like the shovel comparison because the mechanics are totally different. I've never heard of one logical argument that justified why shoveling would translate to hockey handiness.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This could be wrong, but I use more of my bottom hand handling the puck than the upper hand...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zettace posted:

I don't like the shovel comparison because the mechanics are totally different. I've never heard of one logical argument that justified why shoveling would translate to hockey handiness.
And then there's idiots like me who change the direction they shovel depending on which arm is more tired. Should I them buy both left and right sticks? :v:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

This could be wrong, but I use more of my bottom hand handling the puck than the upper hand...
You should be doing most of stick handling motion with you top hand. It makes you more agile and you range of motion is larger. That's the main argument behind using your dominant hand as the top hand. However, I personally believe that once you get used to using your preferred hand on top, the initial advantage of using you're dominant hand on top isn't a factor anymore. Even if there is an advantage, it's too small to matter at the level most of us play at.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

And then there's idiots like me who change the direction they shovel depending on which arm is more tired. Should I them buy both left and right sticks? :v:

Yeah, pretty much this, but I definitely feel more comfortable holding with my left hand on top.

Speaking of hockey, I played really well in my beginner class today. I think I'm finally making some big steps towards getting back to form, because I was way less tired than usual by the end of practice despite skating really hard and scoring 2 breakaway goals.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
When would I be shoveling? What am I, a peasant?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

JetsGuy posted:

I used to do this too, but stop. Practice using your top hand, you'll find that really quickly (like, 1 or 2 sessions), you'll pick it up and be at least as good as you were before if not better. It's way easier and just feels better, once you get used to it. Your bottom hand should be so loose on the stick that it just slides up and down the stick as you handle. If you take a water bottle and cut the top off and bottom out of it and put it over the stick and put your bottom hand on the bottle (making it impossible to grip the stick tightly) it makes good practice.

One thing you notice switching is that you no longer feel like you're "smacking" the puck back and forth

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Emergency question: where's the best place to watch hockey in the twin cities area? Beer league, college, whatever. I'm staying the night here and feel like watching some skating.

Isn't there a rink here with four sheets and a restaurant/bar in the middle? What's it called?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Think of your bottom arm and hand more as a pivot point than anything. Your main amount of manipulation should always be with the top.

edit: found a video that shows and describes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ12ii2pfk8

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

toxicsunset posted:

I used to do this too, but stop. Practice using your top hand, you'll find that really quickly (like, 1 or 2 sessions), you'll pick it up and be at least as good as you were before if not better. It's way easier and just feels better, once you get used to it. Your bottom hand should be so loose on the stick that it just slides up and down the stick as you handle. If you take a water bottle and cut the top off and bottom out of it and put it over the stick and put your bottom hand on the bottle (making it impossible to grip the stick tightly) it makes good practice.

One thing you notice switching is that you no longer feel like you're "smacking" the puck back and forth
I used a toilet paper roll that was taped up. Water bottle is a better good idea.

I think the other beginner thing that really helped my stickhandling is learning to turn my wrists over and cup the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

Mind blown.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007

xzzy posted:

Emergency question: where's the best place to watch hockey in the twin cities area? Beer league, college, whatever. I'm staying the night here and feel like watching some skating.

Isn't there a rink here with four sheets and a restaurant/bar in the middle? What's it called?

One of the beer leagues starts this weekend. High School starts at the very end of November. I hope you found something on rinks 5,6,7 or 8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, lots of teenage girls skating better than I ever will.

Well, and sone older dudes in a skill clinic.. 20 minutes of nothing but transitions and saucer passes.

Place is pretty amazing, I need to convince the wife to move to the twin cities.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Place is pretty amazing, I need to convince the wife to move to the twin cities.

No, do not move to Chicago, ever.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

One benefit to playing defense is a lot of guys in rec leagues don't like to play it. This week alone I've been called in to sub for 2 teams, and had my team's game too. I even had another team which asked me to play, but I turned them down. Hockey rules.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

:stare:

Mind blown.

Super-Rink in Blaine? They are building four more sheets there too. There is also a two sheet rink about 4 blocks away from there. MN really loves us some hockey. Also, if your still in the area one of the shops I told you about is right down the street from there for skate fitting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I visited Dave's too. Really nice guys there.. didn't instantly try to sell me new skates. Advice was kind of weird though, said my current skates fit me properly and that my pain issues may be as simple as not skating frequently enough. Says you have to force your feet to get used to being inside a rigid boot standing on an eighth of an inch of steel.

Not sure I buy that, but I'll give it a shot. Have a trip planned for Toronto next month so I'll give it until then.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Seems kinda likely given that literally everything you can do to a boot (new insoles, punch out, baking, stretching, new tongues, lace bite guards, etc), has been ineffective.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Assuming you don't have some sort of mutant feet and you aren't just sperging about the discomfort that goes along with a brand new skate, it sounds reasonable.

You post a lot about watching people skate. How often do you actually get on the ice? Is it just dicking around at a stick time? I don't recall you playing on a team or anything, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

How long have you had your skates? Did you bake them? Did you try Superfeet? Is it a sharp pain, or just discomfort/soreness after skating around for an hour and a half?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We've been through the questions about his feet earlier -- there's not really any helping him unless you are based in a major metropolitan area and fit skates for a living and even then if your answer is "sounds like a you problem" he's not buying it and will travel north america to find someone to tell him differently.

He's been playing for like a year or two but has opinions on everything that sound like they were formed through years and years of experience. No offense, xzzy, just how it comes off sometimes. :shobon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, uh, I guess I'm done talking about hockey skates then.

I don't know what your problem is with me but considering it's only the internet it's probably not worth getting into a spat about. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry, that came across too strongly. My apologies.

Just seemed a little ridiculous the amount of searching required to make your feet not terribly uncomfortable. I just hope you don't get custom skates made at a very high expense to you when there are legions of adults starting to play and/or playing at high level using the bottom of the barrel equipment.

How often are you skating between league play, drop in, etc? Not looking to nit pick, just curious as to how it would reflect on their recommendation

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Are there any exercises that re-create the bizarro stresses and such of skating? The best I can think of is like, putting a stress ball under your foot while you sit and rolling it around while doing other stuff?

Or is the only solution "skate more"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

How often are you skating between league play, drop in, etc? Not looking to nit pick, just curious as to how it would reflect on their recommendation

Once a week I go to a 2 hour skate. It's half drills and half scrimmage and I'm beat by the end of it so I like to think I'm putting in good effort. I've been doing this since summer of 2011.

I've been wanting to add more nights in the form of getting into a league, but foot pain has made me reluctant to get on the ice more. Everyone can have a nice laugh if more skating cures it for me.

The guy suggested wearing the skates when I'm at home and walking around a bunch, which I'm going to try this week. It's probably too late for me to get into beer league for this season, but it's on the plate for March.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can skate for 2 hrs you can skate for 1 hr during a league game. I would try upping the frequency of the skates rather than the duration to see if you can build strength or whatever in your feet?

In terms of general conditioning I am a much stronger skater when I am skating 2x a week vs 1x a week for an extended duration. Maybe that will apply to your feet? Or you can build callouses or resistances in whatever spots hurt

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Once a week I go to a 2 hour skate. It's half drills and half scrimmage and I'm beat by the end of it so I like to think I'm putting in good effort. I've been doing this since summer of 2011.

I've been wanting to add more nights in the form of getting into a league, but foot pain has made me reluctant to get on the ice more. Everyone can have a nice laugh if more skating cures it for me.

The guy suggested wearing the skates when I'm at home and walking around a bunch, which I'm going to try this week. It's probably too late for me to get into beer league for this season, but it's on the plate for March.

Are you tightening them improperly by chance? What skates do you have now?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

If you can skate for 2 hrs you can skate for 1 hr during a league game. I would try upping the frequency of the skates rather than the duration to see if you can build strength or whatever in your feet?

I'm skating about four times a week right now and last weekend we had a 2.5 hour session on the ice. My feet were sore at the end, felt terrific to get my skates off.

Most people skate for under an hour at a time. xzzy is it sharp pains or dull ache? Do you have a family history of diabetes? Are you really heavy or anything else?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My brother who's skated and played longer than I still complains that skates hurt his feet really bad all the time and I always just brushed it off as him being a whiny cock. I have flat feet and skates are like tennis shoes to me anymore. I can't recall the last time I took my skates off and felt any sort of 'relief' other than the tightness around the ankle being a tad uncomfortable. And I've only been playing/skating regularly for a year. Maybe go see a foot doctor or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toxicsunset posted:

And I've only been playing/skating regularly for a year. Maybe go see a foot doctor or something?

I have.. he said it's probably a lace bite type problem. Said my feet looked healthy in general, good arch, no deformations, nothing of concern.

Chemmy posted:

xzzy is it sharp pains or dull ache? Do you have a family history of diabetes? Are you really heavy or anything else?

Mostly a dull ache that sometimes turns into a "holy poo poo that hurts" ache. It generally seems to revolve around how tight I lace the skates, which sort of has me agreeing with the lace bite suggestions, but rather being on the top of my foot, it's on the outer edge just behind the pinky toe. It flares up really bad when I take the skates off because (I assume) pressure is being relieved and my nerves wake up.

Chemmy posted:

Do you have a family history of diabetes?

I'm a type 1, so yes. :haw:

Chemmy posted:

Are you really heavy or anything else?

Skinny guy with a gut, so a bit heavy. 30-40 pounds or so.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I remember you saying you had your skates rebaked, but have you tried wearing a wider boot in general??

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He could have his boot stretched wider or punched out if its too tight. Not sure that it would help with pressure creates by the laces of the skate.

What about either bunga pads or lace bite pads? They are pretty cheap. This thread has a ton of suggestions and links to products. Someone even suggests skipping an eyelet when lacing to avoid extra pressure.

We've also suggested a new tongue but if that works it will probably be temporary until it breaks down.

I hate modsquad hockey but I link here because it has suggestions and specific product names all in one place. http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59048-severe-lace-bite-problem/

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

I have.. he said it's probably a lace bite type problem. Said my feet looked healthy in general, good arch, no deformations, nothing of concern.

Mostly a dull ache that sometimes turns into a "holy poo poo that hurts" ache. It generally seems to revolve around how tight I lace the skates, which sort of has me agreeing with the lace bite suggestions, but rather being on the top of my foot, it's on the outer edge just behind the pinky toe. It flares up really bad when I take the skates off because (I assume) pressure is being relieved and my nerves wake up.

I'm a type 1, so yes. :haw:

Skinny guy with a gut, so a bit heavy. 30-40 pounds or so.

That sounds exactly like the symptoms of over-tightining your middle laces on your skates. I used to have the same problem when I was little until I started properly lacing the skates.

Lower 3-4 laces should be tight, all of the middle should be just tight enough so the laces are not loose, and top 2-3 should be tight(ish)

I don't think it's lace-bite, since I think that is normally shooting pain on the top of your foot / tendon

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 21, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zinc68 posted:

That sounds exactly like the symptoms of over-tightining your middle laces on your skates. I used to have the same problem when I was little until I started properly lacing the skates.

Lower 3-4 laces should be tight, all of the middle should be just tight enough so the laces are not loose, and top 2-3 should be tight(ish)

I don't think it's lace-bite, since I think that is normally shooting pain on the top of your foot / tendon

Yeah, this. If I crank down the mid-foot laces on my skates my feet really let me know, very quickly. Hockey skates aren't designed to be tied super-tight.

I only tighten my top two eyelets even sort of hard, the ones in the mid-foot I just take the slack out of.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

When I was contemplating getting into hockey I was told by many sources that I was in for a lot pain in my feet learning to skate. But once I started skating I never had any pain outside of a little lace bite because I didn't keep my laces flat. I upgraded my skates and dropped half a size after a year and didnt have any pain breaking them in either.

Skip to last night I played pickup for the first time in a month and it was the second time out with some new laces. My biggest problem with my skates is my laces loosen up and I always have to re-tighten them after I warm up, even with waxed laces. So these new waxed laces are so waxed they are gummy. I ended up making the left skate a bit too tight, after about 10 minutes on the ice my left foot was killing me. Things loosened up a little bit as I kept skating and the pain went away. I follow the suggestion of the bottom couple of eyelets as tight as possible and the ones over the top of my foot just snug and then the 4 or so to the top pretty tight.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I learned a long time ago that over tightening my skates makes me skate like poo poo on top of hurting my feet after a while. You really shouldn't be cranking down on the laces that hard. As long as your foot and ankle are stable in the boot it's tight enough.

Just make sure all the slack is out of the laces and tie the top a bit tighter then you would a regular shoe.

In a completely different direction, if you have a gopro camera or something similar it’s totally worth attaching it to your helmet for a friendly game or practice. I did it last week and it's awesome.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Man you guys all have a lot of problems with foot pain. I mean, I got some pretty flat feet, so new skates are a bitch to break in, but once they're broken in--which takes only a handful of skates--I never have a problem after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Yeah, I just bought new skates a month ago and after one game in them they feel fantastic.