Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

SlenderWhore posted:

I just saw PA4 and I have to say, I actually enjoyed it and don't get the people critizing it for being "more of the same". Of COURSE it was more of the same. It's a horror movie series. At this point I view the series in the same way that I view, say, Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. Just like I might expect Jason or Freddy in one of the aforementioned movies, I knew what to expect when I watch the Paranormal Activity movies and I got what I expected.

I think the problem with Paranormal Activity is it's stuck in a formula that isn't doesn't seem to allow much change at all. My biggest problem with part 4 is it didn't seem to up the scares from the last 3 at all. In the last one the entire kitchen went up onto the kitchen ceiling, in this one it's a just one knife.

quote:

Also, the garage scene was definitely the best scene of the movie. It was legitimately suspenseful & freaky.

That was the best scene but it brought up the question as the why the ghost tried to kill her and almost succeed if she was the virgin sacrifice needed for Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slasherfan posted:

I think the problem with Paranormal Activity is it's stuck in a formula that isn't doesn't seem to allow much change at all. My biggest problem with part 4 is it didn't seem to up the scares from the last 3 at all. In the last one the entire kitchen went up onto the kitchen ceiling, in this one it's a just one knife.

That was the best scene but it brought up the question as the why the ghost tried to kill her and almost succeed if she was the virgin sacrifice needed for Hunter.

It also brings up the question of why did it take her so long to actually break the car window and get out of there. Only answer I can think of is for comedy effect. Hilarious movie all around.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Volume posted:

It also brings up the question of why did it take her so long to actually break the car window and get out of there. Only answer I can think of is for comedy effect. Hilarious movie all around.

I can buy her being a dumb kid and freaking out, what I don't know is how she moved the car if she didn't have the keys. The demon took over the car and was pushing down the gas in neutral but let her get in and put the car in reverse.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SlenderWhore posted:

I just saw PA4 and I have to say, I actually enjoyed it and don't get the people critizing it for being "more of the same". Of COURSE it was more of the same. It's a horror movie series. At this point I view the series in the same way that I view, say, Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. Just like I might expect Jason or Freddy in one of the aforementioned movies, I knew what to expect when I watch the Paranormal Activity movies and I got what I expected.

A lot of people thought it was stupid back then, too.

Even so, this is the point where we can see the puppet strings and we can tell the movie is just jerking us around and stretching things out as long as it can. It breaks a lot of the illusion and gets a lot less fun as a result.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Senf posted:

Dead Snow just blew my mind.

Possibly the funniest zombie movie of all time.

Love the hammer and sickle making the Nazis even angrier.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Well, Excision was certainly something :stare:

It was really hosed up, but I found it very sad. As was mentioned before, it can be very difficult to communicate just how terrible things are inside ones own head, and that's made even worse by being surrounded by people who don't give a poo poo or just think it's general teen behavior.

The medical fetishy scenes were weird as hell.

I think I'll finally get around to watching Detention tomorrow night.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

lizardman posted:

A lot of people thought it was stupid back then, too.

Even so, this is the point where we can see the puppet strings and we can tell the movie is just jerking us around and stretching things out as long as it can. It breaks a lot of the illusion and gets a lot less fun as a result.

This is the big difference. Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street never relied on believability for their scares and set pieces to work.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Shaun of the Dead and Dead Alive are far better, it's not even close really.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Love the hammer and sickle making the Nazis even angrier.

At least 50 things happened in this movie that I didn't really see coming. I laughed the entire time and some of my friends thought I was crazy. Oh well, it was beautiful :allears:

I'll have to check Dead Alive out.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm a total mark for found footage/mockumentary movies. It's almost embarrassing. Though flawed (like pretty much every movie in the genre), I loved Paranormal Activity and liked the second one. But between having a kid two years ago and my wife being destroyed by the first one, I've only seen those first two.

So the wife is out of town for work and I'm flipping around Netflix Instant and holy poo poo, #3 is there (it seemed like it took forever for #2 to get on).

I made it for 29 minutes. I'm such a pussy. The sound was killing me as much as anything. If you're watching a zombie movie, there's no confusing anything you hear with what's on the movie. When you are watching a horror movie where the sounds are creaks and bumps in a two story house and you are sitting in a two story house that has creaks and bumps....

Like I said, total pussy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Shaun of the Dead and Dead Alive are far better, it's not even close really.

RotLD 1 and 3, I Was a Teenage Zombie, Night of the Creeps, and the first two Re-Animators, too. And gently caress it, Paranorman too. Dead Snow is bush league.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm a total mark for found footage/mockumentary movies. It's almost embarrassing. Though flawed (like pretty much every movie in the genre), I loved Paranormal Activity and liked the second one. But between having a kid two years ago and my wife being destroyed by the first one, I've only seen those first two.

So the wife is out of town for work and I'm flipping around Netflix Instant and holy poo poo, #3 is there (it seemed like it took forever for #2 to get on).

I made it for 29 minutes. I'm such a pussy. The sound was killing me as much as anything. If you're watching a zombie movie, there's no confusing anything you hear with what's on the movie. When you are watching a horror movie where the sounds are creaks and bumps in a two story house and you are sitting in a two story house that has creaks and bumps....

Like I said, total pussy.

Paranormal Activity is probably the only movie in my adult life to make me lose sleep. (Pontypool gave me a nightmare, though, which speaks to some primal genius in the premise even though I'm unimpressed with the film itself.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JP Money posted:

She didn't snap due to Aoyama's expectations however - she was crazy before she even met him.... I think it was her Uncle's constant abuse and past failure in life that set her off and she lived this life to comfort herself.

People have already addressed this pretty well, but just to clarify my original point: it doesn't need to be cause and effect, he just needs to be so unsatisfied with normal people that he filters everyone else out.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

penismightier posted:

RotLD 1 and 3, I Was a Teenage Zombie, Night of the Creeps, and the first two Re-Animators, too. And gently caress it, Paranorman too. Dead Snow is bush league.

Only seen RotLD 1 and Night of the Creeps. They're both pretty great, and very very 80's, but I had a better time watching Dead Snow.

"Funnier" is one of those things that's really subjective anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The holy trinity of Zombie Comedy is always Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead. Even Dead-Alive and Shaun of the Dead are distant fourths and fifths (not to mention Dellamorte Dellamore).

I still gotta see Dead Snow though.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The holy trinity of Zombie Comedy is always Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, and Dawn of the Dead. Even Dead-Alive and Shaun of the Dead are distant fourths and fifths (not to mention Dellamorte Dellamore).

The original Dawn of the Dead or the remake?

I guess I didn't view the newer version as a comedy.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Hell, you can probably throw in Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things as well, although it's not even close to any of those in terms of quality.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, people always totally skip that Japanese sequel to Paranormal Activity which I think was the only PA worth watching along with the first. That one had some really memorable bits, and tied into the first PA in a pretty funny way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someday I'll watch Dead Snow again as the first time I found it mostly boring, maybe I wasn't in the right mind set or something.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, people always totally skip that Japanese sequel to Paranormal Activity which I think was the only PA worth watching along with the first. That one had some really memorable bits, and tied into the first PA in a pretty funny way.

Was this ever released outside Japan?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

lizardman posted:

Was this ever released outside Japan?

It most definitely was. It's not a great film or anything, but fans of the PA series will definitely enjoy it.

I think it's called Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

The original Dawn of the Dead or the remake?

I guess I didn't view the newer version as a comedy.

I was referring to the original.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Do you think anyone would have a problem if the next Paranormal Activity movie wasn't found footage?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Slasherfan posted:

Do you think anyone would have a problem if the next Paranormal Activity movie wasn't found footage?

I don't think they'd break out of the found footage stuff entirely, but if it was setup so that someone was being recorded by the witches/cult or whatever, I think it would be far more interesting.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

The people who would mind the most would be the studio executives who would be making less money than before, considering how cheap the movies are to make and how much money they generate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slasherfan posted:

I would be okay if it was a hybrid, start with the found footage and then move into "reality." Sort of like Behind the Mask.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It worked out great for the [REC] seri.... oh.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Dead Snow relies a little too much on the self referential "HAHA, WE HAVE SEEN EVIL DEAD" gags for my liking in the dialogue during the first half. HOWEVAH, the carnage and comedy that takes up the last 30 is pretty effective. Very uneven movie for me personally though.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It worked out great for the [REC] seri.... oh.

I think the bigger problem with Rec 3 was it's 180 tone change.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Slasherfan posted:

I would. At that point, why bother placing it in the Paranormal Activity series?

It's not like there's any significant audience actually invested in the story arc. People go to these movies to see crazy poo poo going bump in the night with 'Night #(x)' title cards and timestamps at the bottom of the screen. Without the found footage aspect, it's just another movie coming out around Halloween.

There's a legitimate concern, though, about what (if anything) new can really be done with this format. This one already felt like it was a stretch.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Toaster Beef posted:

I would. At that point, why bother placing it in the Paranormal Activity series?

It's not like there's any significant audience actually invested in the story arc. People go to these movies to see crazy poo poo going bump in the night with 'Night #(x)' title cards and timestamps at the bottom of the screen. Without the found footage aspect, it's just another movie coming out around Halloween.

There's a legitimate concern, though, about what (if anything) new can really be done with this format. This one already felt like it was a stretch.

Paranormal Activity is just doing what the Friday the 13th films did: Make essentially the same film with a few new twists/kills and profit. I can't imagine they'll stop doing this and I'm kinda surprised Saw gave up the ghost frankly.

But yeah, they're gonna run that sucker into the ground, kill it, reboot and then run it into the ground again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't wait for the ultra-serious final entry in the series: The Paranormal Activity. Followed by a remake three years later.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Slasherfan posted:

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

E: Also, just saw Paranormal Activity 4 and I was expecting some answers but I ended up with More god drat questions .

Guess I'll have to wait for PA5

Observe Me fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 21, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm honestly surprised legit horror fans even bother with the PA movies. I gave PA1 a shot, and while it had some good atmosphere building moments, they were always ruined by some hokey effect. And then the end was laugh out loud ridiculous.

For some reason I gave PA2 a try one night on Netflix. It was boring as hell. Nothing creepy happens, there's no atmosphere, and by the time the demon starts making poo poo happen, I was just waiting for it to be over.

I have no interest in ever seeing another one of these movies. People poo poo all over the Saw movies for being repetitive, but at least they had a plot.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got around to watching The Cabin in the Woods, I know took me way too long, and I gotta admit I was kind of disappointed. There was so much hype surrounding it that it failed to "wow" me properly.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad movie by any means at all. Cool kills, suspenseful, funny, and turns the whole cliche on it's head but I guess I was just expecting something groundbreaking.

Any who I'd recommend it to any who haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Edit: Also I got a friend who refuses to see it cause he's convinced it's a re-make. How do I prove to him that it's not with out spoiling it?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hypersleep posted:

I'm honestly surprised legit horror fans even bother with the PA movies. I gave PA1 a shot, and while it had some good atmosphere building moments, they were always ruined by some hokey effect. And then the end was laugh out loud ridiculous.

For some reason I gave PA2 a try one night on Netflix. It was boring as hell. Nothing creepy happens, there's no atmosphere, and by the time the demon starts making poo poo happen, I was just waiting for it to be over.

I have no interest in ever seeing another one of these movies. People poo poo all over the Saw movies for being repetitive, but at least they had a plot.

Well to be fair, it's a 'different strokes for different folks' situation. Horror is really divisive in my experience and what is scary to me might not make you twitch. I've found that how I watch a movie is as important as the movie itself. I tend to immerse myself in horror films so I'm not thinking about the non-reality of it.

That being said, Paranormal Activity does have a "least we can do" feel to it. I liked the first one alright but the rest are really derivative of each other.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Volume posted:

Finally got around to watching The Cabin in the Woods, I know took me way too long, and I gotta admit I was kind of disappointed. There was so much hype surrounding it that it failed to "wow" me properly.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad movie by any means at all. Cool kills, suspenseful, funny, and turns the whole cliche on it's head but I guess I was just expecting something groundbreaking.

Any who I'd recommend it to any who haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Edit: Also I got a friend who refuses to see it cause he's convinced it's a re-make. How do I prove to him that it's not with out spoiling it?

By asking him what he thinks its a remake of?

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Just watched PA4. Not a bad movie, just so goddamn mundane. I also don't really know what more they can do with the series, but at least they can try SOMETHING. I dunno. PA3 kind of seemed like a bit of a step forward with the whole oscillating camera thing, which I thought was really effective. To go back to static images where something spooky will happen in the background or something will jump out, it seems like such a step back. Also, it was not remotely scary. I don't find these films scary anyway, but even the screaming girls in the cinema stopped being scared halfway through.

I actually massively enjoyed the first half, mainly because Alex and Ben were such great characters (absolutely loved Ben - "I did it three times with four women, 'sup?"), I agree with all the people who say this film is a great comedy, but it stopped focussing on them in the last third and just got so tedious, I really wanted it to end. But not in such a lazy way that is nearly referential to the end of the third film, which is what we did get. Answered no questions at all.

I don't particularly like any of the PA movies, but I like the concept, I really hope they go into some all-out, grand-scale poo poo in the next one. We need to see how the police are reacting to all these deaths and missing people, or something like that.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Senf posted:

So I just watched The Final because it showed up on a Netflix Instant stream and uh, I don't really know what I just watched. I think every other line was racist.

What you watched was a whole lot of wasted potential.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thinking of seeing PA4 or Sinister, but right now they are neck and neck in my "This movie is probably gonna suck..." level of wanna go see em.

Does PA4 at least have some sort of MEGA KITCHEN scene? I'd probably be disappointed if it's anything less than the entire room being smashed into the ceiling and then smashed back down into the floor though. They ramped the gently caress out of those scenes in 1-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

User-Friendly posted:

By asking him what he thinks its a remake of?

Some movie from the 70's that's called Cabin in the Woods. He's usually pretty good with obscure movies so I sat down and googled the hell out of it but can't find anything cause obviously it's not a remake.