Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I think I'm missing something with Dig. I'm screwing around on Naboo producing Raw Neutronium, but I haven't found a single place to sell it, including two pawn shops (one on Naboo, one on Courscant). The wiki makes vague references to "finding a buy-back shop," but either they're not working or I'm totally missing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Try Ord Mantell.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
This MUD is seriously a jumbled piece of poo poo. Someone offered to help me out, took me to a trainer.

Help train, train stats. Okay. What are stats on this MUD? help stats. No file.

Fine.

train.

No syntax help, no list of what I can train, but it says to train skills.

Fine.

WAIT I CAN'T TRAIN SKILLS

Ask the guy helping me, he says stats are str/dex.

Fine. Spam "train str."

I keep failing, this is bullshit and I've gone through 20k credits.

The guy mentions that I have to sit and wait. WELL IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT BY THE COMMAND. Why the hell did it let me waste 20k credits spamming a command usually spammable on other MUDs when all I was doing was interrupting myself? I assumed I was just failing miserably like every other thing I've tried to do.

Ugh.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
:(

Yeah you do have to hit it and wait like 20 seconds for a result

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's happened again, I've got the itch to play a MUD. All the stories in the griefing thread probably didn't help much.

I know this comes up frequently, but I wanted to check again since I haven't seen it asked for a while: what MUDs are pretty goonishly active right now?

I have a soft spot for ROM games, with Smurf Village and the like, but I've also blown a bunch of time in LambdaMOO. I'm very comfortable with C and at one time could hack a bit in MOO, so if there are any goon-run MUDs out there I'd also be interested in trying to do some development.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Training being a piece of poo poo.

That sounds like it was really frustrating. I just e-mailed in a help stats help file as well as an updated help train file to fix that. I have been working on more documentation based on the stuff we worked on. Also, submitted a bug report about what it says when you enter the train command without an argument. You don't train skills with it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's happened again, I've got the itch to play a MUD. All the stories in the griefing thread probably didn't help much.

I know this comes up frequently, but I wanted to check again since I haven't seen it asked for a while: what MUDs are pretty goonishly active right now?

I have a soft spot for ROM games, with Smurf Village and the like, but I've also blown a bunch of time in LambdaMOO. I'm very comfortable with C and at one time could hack a bit in MOO, so if there are any goon-run MUDs out there I'd also be interested in trying to do some development.

I've got a team working on a game using a modified version of lambdamoo's code base. It would be nice for a change to get someone involved who knows how MOO works upfront, rather than having to throw tutorials at them and watching them get overwhelmed and never return.

Let me know if you're interested.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

My only MUD experience was loving around in the Wheel of Time MUD for maybe a day. Would it be worth it to try again or is it filled with dumbass spergs and assholes? I never got far enough to know :shobon:

From what I remember it had some really cool mechanics tied in with the books. The One Power (magic) is super limited because female users get hunted down by half the factions, and male users either get hunted down by everyone, or go insane and blow everything up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I've got a team working on a game using a modified version of lambdamoo's code base. It would be nice for a change to get someone involved who knows how MOO works upfront, rather than having to throw tutorials at them and watching them get overwhelmed and never return.

Yeah, throw me an email at goon.phamnuwen@spamgourmet.com, since I don't have PM capability.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
LotJ revamped a lot of the help files mentioned in this thread and we also introduced a whole package of help files to get across the most important points. They start at Help 1 and proceed through Help 17. An index of them is at help newbie_index. Let me know what y'all think.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
One of the biggest things is just... sheer information overload. For example, in the newbie academy, there were descriptions, then tips would come in, then mprogs would go off (multiple times for each person!), and helpfiles to read... and everything was just so wordy.

I mean, it's great that there are 17 helpfiles for newbies now... but that's 17 helpfiles that tell you what helpfiles to look at! But do I really need to know how to fight in space before I know about how bacta rooms work (can I even talk IC in those? apparently.), hotels (it took me a while to just quit my first time), what all of the trainers are for and what I could do there and why I was just wasting my money...

One of the weirdest things I learned last night is that I have to level my skills because my skills are somehow intertwined with my roleplay? Ditto for clothes, or things I eat. That just blew my mind because in my experience, you'd just use emotes.

Honestly, it seems like the entire MUD is unlearnable unless you have an inside connection, lots of patience, and a willingness to use say instead of osay because you'll never learn anything if you wait for your OOC limit to rebuild. Even with someone helping, so many things just take TIME, lots of TIME to do, so the guy helping you is just sitting around doing a lot of nothing...

I'm really sorry for being such a debbie downer. It's incredibly frustrating in a lot of ways.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's a complicated game so of course there's going to be a lot of information to take in when you're first starting. It's the same on pretty much any MUD with lots of different systems, outside of your basic hack and slash ones. Plenty of people have figured out the game before these things were tightened up, without someone explaining every little thing to them.

What would you suggest instead of a comprehensive newbie guide?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FordPRefectLL posted:

What would you suggest instead of a comprehensive newbie guide?

A much, much, much larger academy, preferably on a major city -- for example, near the university in Arkania.

No loving OOC limits.

Immortals/gifted mortals with a limited goto power (newbie-flagged people only) who go and greet characters not linked to accounts/check in on newbie-flagged people. Just having someone to send a tell to or something would be nice instead of looking at the who list, not seeing anyone (I understand why), and then automatically feeling like rpc (why would I ask for newbie help on a roleplay council channel?) or immtalk (bother an immortal?) are overkill.

So, back to the academy idea.

Make it a fixed area that you can carry through areas with minor cosmetic changes to mobs. It should be loving flawless. No typos, mobs should have descriptions, objects should have descriptions, mprogs should not be buggy, etc. It should be perfect.

Divide it up into small, discrete, chunks with tests (methodology would depend on the subject). So for example, you start after creation and you're in a training area. Some rooms or mobs or people walk you through how to train your stats and what they're good for. OOC is better than IC in my opinion since you can speak frankly and get that poo poo out of the way. I had a minor snafu talking about training as "physical training," which is apparently IC jargon and fuasdjasod

Anyway. Small, discrete chunks of rooms. If newbies get bored, they can leave and go through the city.

Completing a training chunk would give you some kind of bonus -- some credits, some experience for your main skill, relevant skill, whatever... and some courses would be mandatory.

For example, you could have an "Elementary Piloting" sim section. Simulate calling a ship, then piloting to some destination -- since it's a simulator, it wouldn't have lots of timers. You just go through the motions a few times to get used to the process of what you have to do. This would allow you to enter starports.

Then a space fight section.

Maybe sections for mining, blasters, etc.

Essentially, lots of little bite-sized chunks for things that newbies might want to know at some point but they don't have to know RIGHT when they make a new character because they're going to forget that poo poo anyway as more things get shoveled into their brains.

A lot of the mechanics on LotJ are really unintuitive, coming from someone who's come from a history of Wheel of Time MUDs with complex magic systems, lots of fight system goodies, crafting, items, etc.... but a strong RP emphasis. So the last thing I want is a giant infodump that makes it harder for me to find out what I need to be looking for to begin with.

Edit: Obviously oldbies could skip all this in character creation or something and have all the commands available at once, but for newbies, only having certain sets of things available makes sense... plus, the idea of getting certifications makes sense IC as well. How often does Jim Nearstar from Bumblefuck, Tattooine just hail a freighter and pilot it to Ord Mantell by himself? Can he just walk into some store and buy a blaster without a clue how to use it?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 21, 2012

tarabluh
Jun 29, 2012
I've been playing Wayfar 1444 for a little bit and it's pretty fun. Most of the crafting is still out of wack(A large laser turret takes more materials than most spaceships), but its in alpha so I don't mind too much. I haven't even tried space travel yet, not much at least. It's good stuff.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

(OOC) *GhostlyGann: They're mentally ill...Still tax payers money feeding them meds, forget em.

(OOC) *Alarid: So because they are mentally ill and no one will probably hire them for work...we should leave them in the street to die?

(OOC) *GhostlyGann: Leave them in the street? Heck no, toss em in a warehouse and let them die.

LOTJ.txt

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Conskill posted:

(OOC) *GhostlyGann: They're mentally ill...Still tax payers money feeding them meds, forget em.

(OOC) *Alarid: So because they are mentally ill and no one will probably hire them for work...we should leave them in the street to die?

(OOC) *GhostlyGann: Leave them in the street? Heck no, toss em in a warehouse and let them die.

LOTJ.txt

Side effect of killing too many beggars in ROM games.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

tarepanda posted:

No loving OOC limits.

I would like to reiterate that the very strong 'do not communicate OOCly' and 'all actions are IC' sentiments found in a number of MUDs (not just LotJ) makes for events every bit as jarring as someone talking about events OOC.

Example: Last time I played, I decided it was time to join one of only two clans my character knew about. Because I knew you can't just say on OOC, "Someone sign me up for the republic", instead my character inquires on an open radio frequency for recruiting information. This is responded to by the prime minister of an entire race of peoples who personally inducted him as a member of the Republic.

So while the system in place successfully integrated action from other players and ensured that there was an in-story IC reason my character was able to join the republic, that reason is his: he contacted the governor of a neighboring state via HAM radio who personally flew out and inducted him into the military. :doh:

This doesn't seem any less absurd to me than hand-waving an OOC request administered OOCly and referenced in game as him having gone to a recruiter, filled out a bunch of paperwork, and shipped to basic.

That said LotJ has a dedicated playerbase, so I wouldn't really expect you to change this. It's just what kills those kinds of MUDs for me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What kills it for me, as a newbie, is asking for help, then being unable to ask more questions or follow-up questions or report problems because I can't loving talk.

Edit: Just to make it clear, I don't mind roleplaying. What I do mind is being forced to roleplay out something that is logically an OOC experience -- asking questions about how to use a loving exit, or reporting a description bug, or lost helpfiles, etc.

"Excuse me, I used this datapad and there seems to be no entry for the bacta tank." just doesn't cut it for me.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 22, 2012

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

I'm still here, just been busy with life. I'll come back soon if you still want my help.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I ran across a pay to play mud on mud connector. Some of the things you can buy with the in game real money currency are ridiculous.

http://www.ibgames.com/fed2/extras/index.html posted:

Slithy toves cost $5 (five US dollars) each, but there's a minimum payment of $10 for two slithies. You can buy between 2 and 10 slithies at a time (that's $10 to $50).

or

http://www.ibgames.com/fed2/extras/index.html posted:

The subscription charge is $13.00 per month (thirteen US dollars). In return you get four slithy toves a month (which would usually cost you $20).

http://www.ibgames.com/fed2/extras/gifts.html posted:

Social Services

Marriage - the Galactic Administration only registers marriage between members of the aristocracy, where issues of property and inheritence are important. However, the registrar will agree to marry couples from all walks of life, in exchange for a bribe of one slithy. He will conduct the ceremony in the registry office on Earth - use the command 'MARRY playername'. The happy couple will be given wedding rings inscribed with the name of their beloved, and the marriage will be officially registered.

and the kicker...

http://www.ibgames.com/fed2/extras/gifts.html posted:

Divorce - you can dissolve your marriage for two slithy toves by going to the registry office and using the command 'DIVORCE'. You do not need to have your spouse present.

The gently caress...

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

floor is lava posted:

The gently caress...

If they charged 5 cents for every use of a sex command they'd get rich soon.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The fiends. Slithy toves should be allowed to gyre and gimbal as Nature intended!

TheWrthy
Feb 1, 2004

Yes we can, sir.

floor is lava posted:

I ran across a pay to play mud on mud connector. Some of the things you can buy with the in game real money currency are ridiculous.

or

and the kicker...

The gently caress...

Federation was the first MUD I played, back when it was hosted on AOL in 1995 or so. It hasn't changed all that much since then, but it's pretty innovative given the amount of player created content the world allows.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bieeardo posted:

The fiends. Slithy toves should be allowed to gyre and gimbal as Nature intended!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS06IL2xI4

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I know a lot of MUDs have really weird ideas about setting and world, but did whoever named their premium currency "slithy toves" just assume that was a nonsense phrase or did they fully intend for players to be bribing priests to marry them by giving them under-the-table gifts of badger-lizards?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I know a lot of MUDs have really weird ideas about setting and world, but did whoever named their premium currency "slithy toves" just assume that was a nonsense phrase or did they fully intend for players to be bribing priests to marry them by giving them under-the-table gifts of badger-lizards?

It's a callback to Jabberwocky, which is a recurring theme in Federation. The game didn't take itself seriously when I played it on AOL and I doubt it does now.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I played Federation a bit on AOL and it was a pretty cool game. I imagine if it had an active enough player base it could be worth the monthly price, but that would be like thousands of players on constantly which would never happen.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love reading the player reviews and the admin responses for random muds over at mudconnector.

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/prev/review.cgi?rid=23565

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That thread is pretty much interchangable for every other MUD.

:qq: My game is perfect, you just don't understand since you aren't active in the community!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

field balm posted:

Is there a thread/goon presence for Wayfar 1444? jumped in to have a look but I'm pretty lost.

Someday there will be a thread or more posts about it. There's still a lot of work to do so I don't like to post about it much. There is some detailed biome/skill info on the web page now. Everyone in game is probably either a goon or from bay12, the MUD listing sites are worthless

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's some fun to be had in Wayfar, but honestly there arn't enough people or content right now. I think that with more work it will eventually become something pretty kickass though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there an IRC channel where MUD goons hang out? Bullshitting about this kind of thing would be fun in a more real-time environment, plus it would be cool to know where people are playing at that time.

Edit: if not, I'm down to start one. Freenode is my preference, because I'm already on there all the time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

We had one on SynIRC but it fell apart.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Do any of you happen to know why decafmud would stop scrolling down automatically? Every once in awhile it just stops and I have to scroll down manually and it's super annoying. It does it regardless of whether I've entered a command or not.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Never used the program, but did you possibly nudge the mousewheel and scroll up a tick? That used to cause I think zMud to stop scrolling.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone playing Discworld these days? We used to have a huge goon presence a couple of years ago.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

All the talk about LotJ made me give it a try. I agree 100% with tarepanda, and this is coming from someone who has played MUDs for the past eleven years or so. The system is clunky, needlessly complicated, and seems to heavily encourage the oldbie and discourage the newbie.

Then again, I'm coming from SWMud, which is a much different type of Star Wars mudding environment than LOTJ. It's huge, the wizzes (nowadays) are active and churning out some really cool things. If you want RP, there's RP; if you want hack-n-slash, there's that too; if you want serious Star Warsness, it's there; if you want irreverant modern nerd culture humor, it's there too. The playerbase is friendly, laid-back, and active across all time zones.

And the newbie academy isn't a total wank like on LotJ. But, like I said, different type of MUD entirely. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, since I've played it off and on since I was 14. If you're going to give it a go, one of the veteran players wrote up an incredibly comprehensive guide that'll help you to create a decent character and get you started. Even as a veteran, I refer to it all the time.

Huge things coming up soon: I think there are one or two new planets coming out in the next few months, and the associated eq/quests/etc. that they'd bring. A hugely anticipated revamp of the space system is supposed to hit sometime soon too, completely restructuring how flying, ships, and the pilot class work.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 15, 2012

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sheep posted:

Anyone playing Discworld these days? We used to have a huge goon presence a couple of years ago.

I have a character in as "Landros", which apparently is also something from WoW--thanks Google! Anyway, I don't play a ton, but if we've got a lot of goons on I'll log in.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Victorkm posted:

Never used the program, but did you possibly nudge the mousewheel and scroll up a tick? That used to cause I think zMud to stop scrolling.

I don't have a mousewheel. :saddowns:
My cat did step on the keyboard right before it started, but I can't figure out what he did.

Sheep posted:

Me! I usually play on and off, but I'm unemployed now so I've been logged on a bunch. I'm in as Welles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sheep posted:

I'm more into LOTRO these days, but I have a mostly non-combat thief on DW. Level in the mid-200s, if I remember right. I think it's been more than two years since we had much of a presence there.

• Locked thread