Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why does Aquarius have double awful trolls. :saddowns:

Using alchemy to make juice seems so mundane, but Dave is so excited over the prospect of some aj.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The AJ will likely be made of pee.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I liked the inverse 'aj -> pee' joke with the 'troll blood -> purple drink' treasure.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, we've met all the ancestor trolls! And if you go to the exposition stand as Damara, you get a brief refresher on all of them. Impressions follow.

Rufioh is perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. Lost Weeaboos, all living in the forest and liking anime? This is perfect, and I'll need to go through again to remember some of the ridiculous phrases Aranea used about it. When Hussie goes on and on about anime it's a delight. I was pleased to note that they did in fact use the obvious pun of him taking someone's breath away, and I can't wait to see what Dante Basco has to say about it.

Horuss' personality wasn't much to write home about, being mainly just Equius with an incredibly thin layer of denial on top, but he can turn an excellent phrase, and he provided another allusion to the famous painting of a horse attacking a football player and to Jake kissing Dirk's severed head. Aranea's description of the way he completely didn't matter to anything might be a stronger indication of how Jake, as a Page, will turn out - starting off with nothing but maturing into a highly formidable embodiment of his aspect. This is in line with what brain phantom Dirk suggested.

Damara's introduction raised more questions than it resolved, and I'm hoping we get to figure out what her deal is. I don't think I'm ready to begin speculating yet. Hilarious, though.

Dave is going stir-crazy without someone around to buy into the idea that he's cool. He and Karkat have an understanding and I like that. Glad to see he hasn't given up rap, because he will definitely need to defeat Sawtooth at some point.

Rose - and, apparently, Terezi - know Gamzee is alive and are apparently concealing him from Kanaya, which will definitely be a source of strife later on. As Seer of Light, she definitely knows that Gamzee will be necessary for victory, even if she isn't quite sure how, and she's right - him arriving safely in B2 was necessary to set Vriska's and Tavros' ghosts on their treasure-hunting adventure through the afterlife, which in turn will prove essential somehow. This doesn't mean he isn't still definitely up to something that is probably very bad.

I am glad to see that Kanaya and Porrim got in touch. Those two are great.

This has been a great intermission and I'm ready for whatever's about to happen to happen so that it can end.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does Dave ever use his fncysntakind? I want to see him throwing fancy Santas everywhere.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
1. Damara is the best troll. holy gently caress.

2. It is really adorable how vulnerable Dave has gotten around Rose :3

3. Are Rufioh's speech patterns (lack of capitalization, ironic gangsta) modelled after Basco?

4. Holy poo poo. Homestuck just got incredibly vulgar. I guess it's Hussie's reaction to all of the risque unused sprites of Porrim and Aradia?

snucks fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 22, 2012

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax

Elysiume posted:

Does Dave ever use his fncysntakind? I want to see him throwing fancy Santas everywhere.

It'll be used in the final blow to Lord English

Also I'm a bit scared to see the incoming fanart of Damara.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Bongo Bill posted:

Damara's introduction raised more questions than it resolved, and I'm hoping we get to figure out what her deal is. I don't think I'm ready to begin speculating yet. Hilarious, though.

Damara is who really cemented for me the idea that the post-scratch Alternia ancestors largely got exactly the lives they all wished for...and that it really didn't turn out well for any of them.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Isn't that Dirk who has it?

I hope he does use it soon.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nerdbot posted:

Isn't that Dirk who has it?

I hope he does use it soon.
I'm too tired to get past the first letters in names. :saddowns:

Either way I want to see some weaponized Christmas cheer.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Horuss' personality wasn't much to write home about, being mainly just Equius with an incredibly thin layer of denial on top
Important takeaway point about Horuss:

He cut off Rufioh's head and attached it to a robot horse. And fell in love with it.

What more needs to be said?

I'm so sad we didn't get to see it... I hope there's fanart.

I have to say, of all the ancestors, the on I was most impressed by (besides Meenah, of course) was Cronus. He's just so... horrible. It's mesmerizing.

I liked that Hussie's summary of him was just, "Cronus is the worst character in Homestuck by a nautical mile. Any questions?"

Otherwise Kankri was hilarious (though I'd just about lost interest in his gag when it cropped up in this walkabout... until that picture), and Porrim was awesome. Besides them they were just... pretty good gags at best. It's fun to have them in the background, but I'm glad we're done with them to be honest.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I feel stupid for realizing this now, but when Rose told Dave she had things to do and he couldn't come she was talking about hanging out with Kanaya. :3:

oh god i think im becoming a shipper :getin:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's totally okay as long as all the ships are or become canon.

(Terezi :s: Gamzee)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elysiume posted:

FNCYSNTAKIND is the deadliest kind of all, according to the annotations in one of the printed versions, but Dirk, not Dave, is the one who uses it, and he maintains it solely for irony value.

snucks posted:

3. Are Rufioh's speech patterns (lack of capitalization, ironic gangsta) modelled after Basco?

Explicitly. In fact, in the easter egg, Andrew Hussie apologizes to Dante Basco for it.

Eiba posted:

I have to say, of all the ancestors, the on I was most impressed by (besides Meenah, of course) was Cronus. He's just so... horrible. It's mesmerizing.

I liked that Hussie's summary of him was just, "Cronus is the worst character in Homestuck by a nautical mile. Any questions?"

Don't forget what happened during the previous intermission.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Reene posted:

Damara is who really cemented for me the idea that the post-scratch Alternia ancestors largely got exactly the lives they all wished for...and that it really didn't turn out well for any of them.

With the possible exception of the Grand Highblood I think. We never did find out what happened to him, while it's safe to assume he took care of Dualscar. You could argue for the Condesce too but she clearly wasn't happy with her Earth empire.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I'm a bit concerned about Damara's speech patterns.

quote:

Further. You can not be me. If you can not gently caress me.

quote:

Go into my body. Or. I will destroy you.

quote:

Exactly how much. Do you want to know? Bitch of water.

quote:

I can suck your horn. At the same time, you slap my rear end. Do it rhythmically. Also. Neigh.
That's the same strange way Caliborn breaks up sentences. I wonder if she picked it up from him. It's too otherwise grammatical to be from Google Translate.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Bongo Bill posted:

Horuss' personality wasn't much to write home about, being mainly just Equius with an incredibly thin layer of denial on top, but he can turn an excellent phrase, and he provided another allusion to the famous painting of a horse attacking a football player and to Jake kissing Dirk's severed head. Aranea's description of the way he completely didn't matter to anything might be a stronger indication of how Jake, as a Page, will turn out - starting off with nothing but maturing into a highly formidable embodiment of his aspect. This is in line with what brain phantom Dirk suggested.

I think it was more a reference to people's sadness at Equius' lack of story-importance. It's probably both though.

I really like how in person, Dave and Rose have essentially switched roles in terms of wordiness. Dave remains as aloof as ever, but a tad more introspective and ends up pontificating about whatever he happens to be thinking about, while Rose seems more personable , but less talkative. It's a cute little reversal of their online personas.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shwoo posted:

I'm a bit concerned about Damara's speech patterns.

That's the same strange way Caliborn breaks up sentences. I wonder if she picked it up from him. It's too otherwise grammatical to be from Google Translate.

Well, Hussie did mention that he wrote her dialogue in a specific way so as to not get horribly mangled by Google's re-translation. I'd imagine the way she talks is more a reflection of that than a direct reference to Caliborn (that could be part of it, don't get me wrong. I just think it's more writing around Google than anything else.)

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Dave is the best human. There's no question.
The fact that Hussie made Meenah such a cool character along with the rest of the hilarious crew is a real testament to his skill as a writer, and especially his ability to make compelling characters. For most of these guys, we see two or three interactions between them, and he still made all twelve (!) new characters so memorable, with their own whole plot and set of issues. Like think about how quickly Cronus became The Worst when we see like 3 conversations from him. Hussie packs so much personality and implied backstory into every line.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The fact that Dave had a rap-off with Meenah only further enhances both characters.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The sites ads now include a store that sells, um, fine art statues :gonk:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

RandallODim posted:

...Dammit I think I have to buy a Meenah shirt now, patron troll and all that poo poo. Girl is just the best.
And here we Leo are, one of the awesomest zodiac signs to be, stuck with those two characters.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Eagerly awaiting the next mini game which details the Alpha Troll Ancestors.

:getin:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Also, as rad as Dave is, Andrew himself was the best part of this update and you all know it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Dr Christmas posted:

You got a problem with fine art?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I think this is a full circle thing... 4chan sends Andrew Hussie a box of dildos (from that website?), Hussie puts dildo in comic as a joke, dildo website buys ad space.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Cosplayers gotta get their poo poo from somewhere.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Oh God, this was just another step in Hussie's grand plan to further ruin anime cons, wasn't it?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Hussie you blueballing bastard. If the next updates do not involve Meenah meeting Vriska, John and Tavros, do you know what my poo poo is gonna do?

That's right.

It will fly off the handle.

It will fly off the handle like it's Amelia Earheart and a hundred years from now people will be making documentaries about how she got kidnapped by aliens or some poo poo.

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 22, 2012

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh God, this was just another step in Hussie's grand plan to further ruin anime cons, wasn't it?

Eagerly awaiting first YouTube video of Horuss cosplayers beating the hell out of each other with giant blue horsecocks.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm fairly sure the way Damara... changed... has a lot to do with Kurloz. I don't think we've had any in-comic evidence for it yet beyond a hint that it was more than just a bad break-up, but he was the only one of Lord English's followers with any direct influence over the Beforus trolls. It would also fit perfectly with his role of destroying through rage as the Prince, since by the sound of it Damara did quite a lot of damage to their chances (and to them).

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh my god, Damara is filthy as hell.

Horuss, though.

He is everything i ever wanted.

I really need to get an avatar of Horuss with the horse dildo. :allears:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Have we set up a betting pool for how many/which of the A1 trolls are going to die as quickly as they came?

Meenah, Kurloz, and Damara are almost certainly going to survive one way or another. All of them have some sort of importance to the overarching plot, either as another protagonist to drive the plot (Meenah) or more of Lord English's servants we'll inevitably have to face down (Damara, Kurloz). Cronus, Horuss, and Kankri are almost certainly going to get double-dead, due to their relative unimportance and/or intended humor value. Latula, Aranea, and Dante Rufioh can probably all be made a case for surviving but aren't guaranteed a spot, and Mituna, Meulin, and Porrim are wildcards in that I can see all of them either dying or becoming weirdly important for some reason, but it can honestly go either way.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 22, 2012

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Technique posted:

Oh my god, Damara is filthy as hell.

Horuss, though.

He is everything i ever wanted.

I really need to get an avatar of Horuss with the horse dildo. :allears:

I finally found a translation of Damara's lines, and holy gently caress.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

There's going to be people at conventions carrying around massive sex toys in public and thinking it's acceptable to behave like that isn't there?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ActionZero posted:

There's going to be people at conventions carrying around massive sex toys in public and thinking it's acceptable to behave like that isn't there?

I don't see how this is any different from how poo poo normally is at cons? :v:

Seriously though, i love how Hussie is gearing up to manipulate his fans into embarassing themselves and probably getting arrested or something. This is both wonderful and horrifying.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Well, there's two sets of pages and rogues that have some sort of relationship. I wonder if Nepeta and Tavros had some sort of weird romance thing.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I am pretty sure the best part of the update is all the parts that involve a gigantic purple horse dildo.

Because those were the parts directly responsible for getting a bad dragon ad on the front page.

Hahahahaha

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Cabbit posted:

Somebody on Tumblr brought this up and, as Tumblr is a wretched hive of scum and shippery, I am shamelessly stealing it and presenting it as an original thought: what if that whole point at which Damara 'snapped' wasn't actually her snapping, but her somehow being replaced with her post-scratch counterpart?
I could be misunderstanding this (I have a bit of trouble keeping who's who straight with some many ancestors and dancestors and so on), but doesn't Hussie pretty explicitly say this at the exposition stand - ie who we think is Beforus Damara is really the Alternian Handmaid?

Also, that was really awesome. So much great stuff. Having a huge block of content at once is a nice change from the usual update pace.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

I like how Hussie is making it absolutely clear why their session was a total bust. I really hope Meenah and Aranea somehow escape the inevitable destruction that's coming towards that terrible bubble.

Yes he has told us why their session was a total bust. Though it's way subtle. It's because every time one of these poor Beforus trolls might have had their character developed and gotten beyond their various character flaws, or just learn to work with each other effectively, Damara would show up and essentially say "You becoming a good person would make this a beta timeline, bitch!" She stunted all their growth at "seemingly random" moments to force a scratch. These poor trolls were doomed to failure by time sabotage.

That makes Damara an interesting character though. I know people like this. Apparently she has a hate for her fellow trolls that runs so deep she is willing to make sure they stay lame and horrible to justify that hate. She may truly be the worst troll. Though if Kankri ever found out he'd probably defend her and tell people to check their temporal privilege.

I always thought the whole "time heroes are all under the sway of Lord English" theory was bunk, but this lends it some credence. Maybe the way LE made himself indestructible was to somehow gaining the ability to dictate the alpha timeline. In other words, the alpha timeline is whatever LE says it is. Thus forcing time heroes negate any timeline in which he is defeated. Getting him into a session without a native time hero may be key to his eventual defeat.

Stayton fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 22, 2012