Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Ask him to name names re: food stamp recipients who, while on food stamps, bought expensive toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
This is totally petty and irrelevant of me, but wasn't his first response a question replying to your question? Maybe I'm missing his argument, but I want to savor the irony if that's the case.

And I'm sure you're aware, but his "BEER is not a food group" is a strawman since you can't buy it with food stamps anyway. Along with all the other "misdirected" funds he's talking about. Now, if he's complaining that SNAP and TANF allow families to eke out a minimal existence while they're down, allowing them to spend a miniscule fraction of their income on things to distract them from their plight, then why doesn't take those complaints to beer companies and TV manufacturers and tattoo artists? He could make them give that money back... though he might have to chase down the paychecks of some of the employees too, plus the tax revenue it generated.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But if you get food stamps that frees up your other (assuming you have it) money to buy beer.

Also, answering a question with a question is the appropriate response when there was something wrong with the first question.

Zazzera
Sep 11, 2001

Bergen Goon
Shouldn't your argument basically boil down to that you think buying a beer once in a while and not having to sell your TV constitutes a minimum standard of living? I feel like red already has half articulated that he doesn't agree with this.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Its also nice how he goes from buying beer and cigs to a 42" TV. Where is he pulling that from?

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
So I was looking for something I remembered "crazy gun-nut conspiracy theory guy from high school" had posted on Facebook which I wanted to share, but this latest one is far better:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's so bad about cable TV. If you're paying $30 a month for it and it's your primary recreation then clearly you are being extremely thrifty.

If they've bundled with an Internet subscription then they're doing even better, I have no idea how one finds work without Internet access.

OAquinas posted:

Its also nice how he goes from buying beer and cigs to a 42" TV. Where is he pulling that from?

A low quality TV in that size range can go for around $300, even better if you take advantage of a sale.

For a person who intends to use TV for practically all their entertainment, this is a great investment when you consider the lifespan of the TV.

These poor people seem to be making some truly brilliant economic decisions.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 22, 2012

Zazzera
Sep 11, 2001

Bergen Goon

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, how does that work? I assume that if you have the disposable income to buy an expensive TV you would already be ineligible for US welfare? Also, having some amount of disposable income shouldn't be outside the minimum standard of living.

Edit: I think that to have some clarity in your discussion you need to ask him what he thinks a minimum standard of living consists of, and elaborate yourself about what you think and why on the same subject.

Zazzera fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 22, 2012

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

chaoticgeek posted:

So I was looking for something I remembered "crazy gun-nut conspiracy theory guy from high school" had posted on Facebook which I wanted to share, but this latest one is far better:

All ARE guns will be taken and we will all have mandatory gay marriages. WTF does this guy think happens to our military? Does he not understand that there is no UN military and the UN receives most of its funding from the US?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zazzera posted:

Yeah, how does that work? I assume that if you have the disposable income to buy an expensive TV you would already be ineligible for US welfare? Also, having some amount of disposable income shouldn't be outside the minimum standard of living.

Edit: I think that to have some clarity in your discussion you need to ask him what he thinks a minimum standard of living consists of, and elaborate yourself about what you think and why on the same subject.

Lets not forget when Fox News acted disgusted when they were talking about the poor having refrigerators.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget when Fox News acted disgusted when they were talking about the poor having refrigerators.

Wait, this actually happened?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mitchicon posted:

Yes it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWpz9NQipp0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Obligatory Lucky Ducky

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zazzera posted:

The thing is, 42" TVs aren't that expensive (or can be not expensive, rather). Sure, if you get a nice 42" 240Hz Samsung LED it's gonna cost you a pretty penny, but some crappy 42" Vizio TV can go for $400-450, which seems like a valid "once every several years" purchase to me. And that's just a shelf price at Walmart, you could probably find something cheaper on Craigslist if you had an internet connection available. Or maybe your extended family bought one for your family for Christmas one year. Or whatever. My point is that people are dumb and assume big flat screen TVs still cost thousands of dollars.

Zazzera
Sep 11, 2001

Bergen Goon

Mitchicon posted:

Well, yeah, theres a infamous screenshot for Fox News that states something like "Poors: 99,6% have refrigerators!"

Thats news tough, and seems like something that can only be produced by someone not having anyone challenge them on any opinion. I think anyone personally holding this opinion would, when challenged, be hard pressed not to agree that a refrigerator constitutes minimum standard of living in one of the world's richest countries. There may be some who holds seriously the the opinion that there should be no minimum standard of living, thought.

Edit: VVV I actually remembered the exact percentage right. I guess I've seen that screenshot to many times. Hopefully this will come up on a pub quiz sometime.

Zazzera fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 22, 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mitchicon posted:

Notice how poor is in quotations. And those aren't emphasis quotes, to be sure.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Countblanc posted:

The thing is, 42" TVs aren't that expensive (or can be not expensive, rather). Sure, if you get a nice 42" 240Hz Samsung LED it's gonna cost you a pretty penny, but some crappy 42" Vizio TV can go for $400-450, which seems like a valid "once every several years" purchase to me. And that's just a shelf price at Walmart, you could probably find something cheaper on Craigslist if you had an internet connection available. Or maybe your extended family bought one for your family for Christmas one year. Or whatever. My point is that people are dumb and assume big flat screen TVs still cost thousands of dollars.

People also fail to realize that we live in a country where people's self worth is based on your possessions. We value people on their material goods. With easy credit you can "feel good" and make yourself feel better temporarily. If you're faced with constant poverty, it is really easy to swipe your card in order to feel better about your lovely life.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

Hoo boy does this guy ever hate poor people. I'm blue, he's red.

Edit: my next reply while I craft something to address his wall of text:
Wow, RED, I appear to have touched a nerve there. Don't despair, a full reply is on its way.

He sure does have a lot of free time to post his drivel from a thing called work.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If they've bundled with an Internet subscription then they're doing even better, I have no idea how one finds work without Internet access.

The library, of course.

Meanwhile, why am I paying taxes for someone to get paid 80k to put books on shelves? I have a Kindle!

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Regarding the whole food stamps thing, I haven't had a chance to read it all, but I'm waiting expectantly for when he tries to explain why a man in his late 60's, who served in the Army at the Battle of Hue in 1968, got several tattoos and took up smoking during his two tours in Vietnam, and then spent the next 4 decades working low wage jobs due to his PTSD, doesn't deserve help buying food because he likes to unwind by drinking a beer and watching Fox News.

Mitchicon posted:

Oh yes, it did. And it was glorious. Wait, no, that's not right... is there a word for "inducing a blinding rage"?

DarkHorse posted:

And I'm sure you're aware, but his "BEER is not a food group" is a strawman since you can't buy it with food stamps anyway. Along with all the other "misdirected" funds he's talking about. Now, if he's complaining that SNAP and TANF allow families to eke out a minimal existence while they're down, allowing them to spend a miniscule fraction of their income on things to distract them from their plight, then why doesn't take those complaints to beer companies and TV manufacturers and tattoo artists? He could make them give that money back... though he might have to chase down the paychecks of some of the employees too, plus the tax revenue it generated.

The thing is, that's why Food Stamps are so important, and useful (something I know you're not arguing against). Every person, every family is different. Hell, even different time periods require different things to get by: no one needed their own car 100 years ago, or a cell phone 30 years ago. But most people can forget about getting and keeping a job without one now. But the one thing we all have in common, across every corner of the country, every different family make up, even throughout time, is that we all need to eat. When you help people buy food, it frees up other money to be spent on things that they specifically need. For one family it might be winter clothes for their children; for another it might be insulin for their spouse. The importance of freeing up that money for other things can't be understated.

OAquinas posted:

You know how no one, ever, has purchased something like a 42" TV or an iPhone and then lost their job? That's what he's getting at. If you own it now, and you're on Food Stamps now, clearly you bought it while on Food Stamps!

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm stealing the poo poo out of this because it's great and suitably uncrazy.

e:

There, now it's suitably Facebookish.

I totally missed this, thanks to vyelkin for reposting it. It's really great, I love the picture you used for the background.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vyelkin posted:

There's roughly 50 million people in poverty.

That means there are 200,000 without a refrigerator, the most important of all appliances.

400,000 do not have a microwave.

Over a million have neither a truck nor car. They likely spend a huge chunk of their day trying to get around using public transit. Getting groceries is a huge deal when you don't have a car.

A Million lack air conditioning in their home. In some areas this isn't a big deal, in Phoenix it can be a matter of life and death.

Source: The Heritage Foundation

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

Wow, RED, I appear to have touched a nerve there. Don't despair, a full reply is on its way.

I changed my mind, this image should be replaced with this:

I mean if we're going to get upset about people getting help who don't REALLY need it, I think the other side of the coin is fair. You don't need the EITC or any tax credits, there are a lot of starving people out there, quit being such a selfish prick already.

vyelkin posted:

The two videos that goes with this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-18-2011/world-of-class-warfare---warren-buffett-vs--wealthy-conservatives
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-18-2011/world-of-class-warfare---the-poor-s-free-ride-is-over

:smithicide:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's roughly 50 million people in poverty.

That means there are 200,000 without a refrigerator, the most important of all appliances.

400,000 do not have a microwave.

Over a million have neither a truck nor car. They likely spend a huge chunk of their day trying to get around using public transit. Getting groceries is a huge deal when you don't have a car.

A Million lack air conditioning in their home. In some areas this isn't a big deal, in Phoenix it can be a matter of life and death.

Source: The Heritage Foundation

gently caress you got mine - Republican Party

Zazzera
Sep 11, 2001

Bergen Goon

Sarion posted:

You know how no one, ever, has purchased something like a 42" TV or an iPhone and then lost their job? That's what he's getting at. If you own it now, and you're on Food Stamps now, clearly you bought it while on Food Stamps!

I think the more common belief is that you should sell everything and live in a empty cave, before considering applying for foodstamps.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm still drafting my reply and hoping to include a lot of ideas from here. One thing about this guy, he's a huge Ron Paul follower despite conceding that Paul's economic ideas are terrible "but at least you can talk to him about them". He's also Canadian who crosses the border each day to work in Michigan.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Also, if you're getting on the topic of what is considered appropriate standard of living, there's a useful section from The Wealth of Nations that covers it. It not only makes a good point, but conservatives tend to hold Adam Smith in high regard, so it's doubly useful!

Wealth of Nations, p.715-716 posted:

Consumable commodities are either necessaries or luxuries.

By necessaries I understand, not only the commodities which are indispensibly necessary for the support of life, but whatever the custom of the country renders it indecent for creditable people, even of the lowest order, to be without. A linen shirt, for example, is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably, though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty, which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct. Custom, in the same manner, has rendered leather shoes a necessary of life in England. The poorest creditable person, of either sex, would be ashamed to appear in public without them. In Scotland, custom has rendered them a necessary of life to the lowest order of men; but not to the same order of women, who may, without any discredit, walk about barefooted. In France, they are necessaries neither to men nor to women; the lowest rank of both sexes appearing there publicly, without any discredit, sometimes in wooden shoes, and sometimes barefooted. Under necessaries, therefore, I comprehend, not only those things which nature, but those things which the established rules of decency have rendered necessary to the lowest rank of people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sarion posted:

Also, if you're getting on the topic of what is considered appropriate standard of living, there's a useful section from The Wealth of Nations that covers it. It not only makes a good point, but conservatives tend to hold Adam Smith in high regard, so it's doubly useful!

Adam Smith also wrote that "No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable" and that "To feel much for others and little for ourselves; to restrain our selfishness and exercise our benevolent affections, constitute the perfection of human nature" (don't know the source, both quoted in another work). He wasn't actually such a bad guy. Unfortunately he's sort of become Free Market Jesus, in that people will pick and choose what he says to fit their ideology rather than looking at it holistically.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bobkatt013 posted:

gently caress you got mine - Republican Party

gently caress you, Give me yours, It was mine all along.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He was also cognizant of how necessary regulation was, that without some regulation a "free" market would turn into a monopoly and have other deleterious effects.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Smith was writing against mercantilism, which was the dominant and profoundly wrongheaded economic doctrine of the time. People appropriate his arguments against mercantilism and re-purpose them as arguments against government controls in mixed-market systems. They don't make a lot of sense or do Smith justice. Smith actually wrote quite a bit about market failures and the necessity of government stepping in to maintain fair markets. That old gem of a quote about no two businessmen being able to have a friendly meeting without colluding against the public is Smith too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's also a short section in favour of progressive taxation, which is always fun to bring out.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

You guys make it sound like if someone actually read and understood and agreed with Smith; they'd end up to the left of most Democrats. :psyboom:

Seriously, I knew he was often taken by Tea-Partier types as being far more FREE MARKET EVERYTHING than he really is; but I've never read much of what he wrote, except for maybe some choice sections years ago in school. His stuff has always been on my list of books that I want to one day read, but probably won't ever find time for; I suppose I should bump him up a few places.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

My draft reply. Anyone have anything I should add?

quote:

When I lived in Fooland, I passed a tattoo shop daily advertising name tats for $25, IIRC.
I've seen 1.5L bottles of Baltika #9 Extra Lager going for $4.50 at the grocery store.
Cigs? I honestly don't know as I don't smoke.
AT&T and Comcast are both advertising cable for <$30/month. To be honest, that seems a pretty thrifty investment to me.
The whole 42" tv issue seems straw-manish to me. How commonly does that happen? I assert not frequently enough to be a problem.
SNAP benefits cannot be used to purchase a tat, beer, or cable. Your whole digression on that is irrelevant.

Honestly it seems like you think people in poverty somehow deserve it or at least must act poor, as though it were a form of penance. That's a pretty unhealthy view of others IMO.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nth Doctor posted:

My draft reply. Anyone have anything I should add?

Anecdotal, but a few months to a year ago, my parents each got one of the older iPhone models they were trying to get rid of for less than five dollars each. Maybe you could link a place with a similar deal in your area?

However, the main problem isn't facts, it's that it's easy to resent the poor.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

OAquinas posted:

"How does he get away with this two elections in a row. There is a whole article about it but these three graphs say it all."

The best I could come up with on the fly is "I thought a toothless, ineffectual FEC was the ideal?" but obviously that's insufficient.

Quoting this too because what source is this from?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For your beer example you need to use a much friendlier beer.
A 24 pack of Bud Light is maybe 15 bucks. That'll last a month if you have a beer after every workday. Are you really going to cry that someone working a crappy job at minimum wage wants to have a beer when they get home.

For the TV, it's definitely a good economic decision. 42 inches is a bit big but studies show that people on food stamps are much better at taking advantage of coupons and sales than the rest of the population, it's not unreasonable to assume that they could find a good deal. If this family has children then TV is the least expensive form of entertainment available.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For your beer example you need to use a much friendlier beer.
A 24 pack of Bud Light is maybe 15 bucks. That'll last a month if you have a beer after every workday. Are you really going to cry that someone working a crappy job at minimum wage wants to have a beer when they get home.

For the TV, it's definitely a good economic decision. 42 inches is a bit big but studies show that people on food stamps are much better at taking advantage of coupons and sales than the rest of the population, it's not unreasonable to assume that they could find a good deal. If this family has children then TV is the least expensive form of entertainment available.

Why are those kids not working? :colbert:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

LP97S posted:

Good point; he just said there was "an entire article" behind it; doing some cursory google searches just reveals the usual suspects (daily caller, breitbart, examiner, townhall)

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

LP97S posted:

OAquinas posted:

"How does he get away with this two elections in a row. There is a whole article about it but these three graphs say it all."

The best I could come up with on the fly is "I thought a toothless, ineffectual FEC was the ideal?" but obviously that's insufficient.

Obama's Bogus Zip Code Fundraising Problem by Katie Pavlich , News Editor townhall.com

Numbers are sourced from the Government Accountability Institute, of which Peter Schweizer is President

(He is the author of books such as Do as I Say (Not as I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy, Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism and Makers and Takers: Why conservatives work harder, feel happier, have closer families, take fewer drugs, give more generously, value honesty more, are less materialistic and envious, whine less … and even hug their children more than liberals , and Yes, that is the full title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Or just tell him the government doesn't have the right to tell people what to do with the money they have, and if they believe that the government SHOULD have that right, tell them to find a political party that's left of the Socialist Party here in America (there isn't one).