Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Hey everybody!

Classic sitcom Sons of Tucson is now on Netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

User-Friendly posted:

Hey everybody!

Classic sitcom Sons of Tucson is now on Netflix!

I watched a couple of episodes and wondered why everyone was talking about it, then I realized I had somehow confused it with Sons of Anarchy.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Ski School 2 is my JAM, son.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/179604

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
RE: Act of Valor - the acting was atrocious, the action was top notch. I enjoyed it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Zero Karizma posted:

It's on my list but I haven't gotten there yet. I've actually heard that if you're just expecting a bad rear end action movie that's basically Call of Duty, it's supposed to deliver quite nicely.

I'm speaking entirely from recommendations, mind you.

This is more accurate than you will expect.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I know this might not be exactly the right thread but I figured you guys would know, is the physical DVD service for Netflix still any good? I'm thinking about activating it so I can watch some of the stuff that probably won't go up on streaming.

I don't have any new recommendations but Castaway on the Moon and The Man from Nowhere are both awesome South Korean movies that everyone should watch.
Dororo is a pretty cool movie where a samurai has to fight demons to take back 48 of his body parts. There was a video game on the PS2 called "Blood Will Tell" that is based on the same story so if you ever played that you should check that movie out! Also the subtitles are on the left side of the screen which I haven't ever really seen before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dororo is based on an Osamu Tezuka story of the same name. The guy is known for his all ages Astro Boy but a lot of Tezuka's work was dark and violent. Dororo combines his Disney-style characters with buckets of gore and dismemberment. The entire series is available as a single paperback volume so if you like the movie you'll like the manga more.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

al-azad posted:

Dororo is based on an Osamu Tezuka story of the same name. The guy is known for his all ages Astro Boy but a lot of Tezuka's work was dark and violent. Dororo combines his Disney-style characters with buckets of gore and dismemberment. The entire series is available as a single paperback volume so if you like the movie you'll like the manga more.

Sweet! I didn't know about the manga, thanks.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Senor Candle posted:

I know this might not be exactly the right thread but I figured you guys would know, is the physical DVD service for Netflix still any good? I'm thinking about activating it so I can watch some of the stuff that probably won't go up on streaming.

It's basically the same as it ever was, except a bit more expensive of course since they separated the delivery and streaming subscriptions. One thing that's gotten better is they process movies on Saturdays as well. I think this may only apply to certain distribution centers though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Eggnogium posted:

It's basically the same as it ever was, except a bit more expensive of course since they separated the delivery and streaming subscriptions. One thing that's gotten better is they process movies on Saturdays as well. I think this may only apply to certain distribution centers though.

Alright, they have a first month free trail for up to 3 discs right now so we'll give it a try again.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Senor Candle posted:

I don't have any new recommendations but Castaway on the Moon and The Man from Nowhere

"Castaway on the Moon" is just the perfect movie. If you want something non-insipid to watch with your girlfriend/wife that you'll both like, this is the one. I have yet to meet a person who didn't love it.

Whoever recommended "Get the Gringo" earlier, thanks. Awesome, awesome movie. Now I want to watch Payback again. Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the SOB knows story structure.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Hana & Alice, a Japanese movie by one of my favorite directors Shunji Iwai was just added. Here's the trailer.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I totally forgot about the sequel, I love you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

hypersleep posted:

I'm not really into video games (loved them in the 80s and 90s, but my interest took a sharp dive after high school), but I just finished Indie Gamer: The Movie and it was really good. I'm sure anyone who's had an interest in video games at any time in their life would enjoy it.

That said, it's interesting to see how emotionally unstable some of those guys are. Any time they talk about emotions or the pressure they feel, you can see deep seated emotional issues manifesting in their speech and behavior. It's too bad, because it kind of confirms some of the stereotypes about nerdy gamers, but that's probably not a topic for this thread.

From a few pages back, but I randomly ended up watching this today and found it funny how, Edmund aside, they try to paint all the guys as sympathetic but Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow come across as basically dumb babies, and this is from someone who loved Braid. Jonathan Blow specifically with the whole Google-searching his name and directly responding to any criticism he found about his game anywhere online, and Phil Fish for pretty much everything he says and does.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"Castaway on the Moon" is just the perfect movie. If you want something non-insipid to watch with your girlfriend/wife that you'll both like, this is the one. I have yet to meet a person who didn't love it.

Whoever recommended "Get the Gringo" earlier, thanks. Awesome, awesome movie. Now I want to watch Payback again. Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the SOB knows story structure.

Yea, Gibson has some great work. It's too bad he's a jew hating nutjob though. Knowing the star of a film is a bit on the crazy side (and not in the good Cage way) sorta kills the fun of the movie.

I was kinda pissed when they never had a blu ray release of Payback using the theatrical release. The director's cut was just kinda... meh :effort:

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was kinda pissed when they never had a blu ray release of Payback using the theatrical release. The director's cut was just kinda... meh :effort:

I didn't much care for the Director's Cut, either, but it's a bit closer to the spirit of the source material. Still, I don't think anyone has gotten it right yet. (I haven't yet seen Duvall in The Outfit, but he doesn't really mesh physically with the character.) And I have zero hope for Jason Statham rectifying the situation. Parker is such an incredible rear end in a top hat that no studio is going to spend the money to do it right--as evidenced by Warner Bros. butchering the Gibson version.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Machine gun Preacher was really good. Haven't read up on the reviews, but I thought it was quality.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I'm throwing in another vote for Get the Gringo. It's a classic Gibson crime flick.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm throwing in another vote for Get the Gringo. It's a classic Gibson crime flick.

Gibson is really a master os his craft. I really don't even care he is an insane nutball, he can emote more in his left eye over one wink than most actors could hope to emote over their entire careers.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Fi/se/no/dk goons, if you're Spotify Premium subscriber you can get your Netflix free until end of the year using http://netflix.com/spotify to sign up.

And people are reporting that apparently it works even if you're not Spotify subscriber.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stubb Dogg posted:

Fi/se/no/dk goons, if you're Spotify Premium subscriber you can get your Netflix free until end of the year using http://netflix.com/spotify to sign up.

And people are reporting that apparently it works even if you're not Spotify subscriber.

That link redirects me to the standard free month netflix signup page.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stubb Dogg posted:

It's also available on the PS3 and I'm guessing on a few other devices (360 etc.)

meanolmrcloud posted:

Gibson is really a master os his craft. I really don't even care he is an insane nutball, he can emote more in his left eye over one wink than most actors could hope to emote over their entire careers.
Get the Gringo is a fantastic movie and pretty much a spiritual successor to Payback (the closest we'll ever get to a good Max Payne movie) if there ever was one. What actors do in their private/public lives doesn't affect my opinion of their work at all so as far as I'm concerned, Gibson is still a pretty amazing actor/director. Apocalypto is one of my favorite films of all time and I really hope he goes back to making great movies like that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stubb Dogg posted:

You don't even need a credit card that has its address in Sweden, all you need is a Swedish IP. I even signed in through a Facebook account which clearly shows I'm in the US in the location too.

edit: For some reason the Scandinavian Netflix doesn't have instant queue.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 18, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone seen The Tall Man? I remember that hitting theaters maybe a month ago. I guess it did horribly because it's on DVD and Netflix already.

Please tell me it's the first movie based on the slender man.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

al-azad posted:

Anyone seen The Tall Man? I remember that hitting theaters maybe a month ago. I guess it did horribly because it's on DVD and Netflix already.

Please tell me it's the first movie based on the slender man.

Its really good and has nothing to do with Slender man. Very atypical monster in this movie.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Tall Man was pretty good - better than I expected. Not a horror movie in my opinion, but it had some tense spots.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why can't I get movies to stream in HD? My connection is more than capable of handling the amount of data for HD video/5.1 audio, I've selected the highest possible quality from the Netflix settings, but both my PS3 and the browser player only stream in SD. And yes, I've tried it with movies and shows which were labeled to be in HD.

I just watched a movie earlier on the PS3 and the quality was great, but now I can't get the same quality for the life of me.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise

You really have to separate the actor from the person. I love Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise as actors, but I think they're absolute nutcases in their private lives. And that's OK, just keep cranking out the great work.

There's a Norwegian movie called Headhunters, it's a pretty awesome thriller as the guy descends into madness. Aksel Hennie stars, and he's also awesome in Max Manus: Man of War.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

red19fire posted:

Aksel Hennie stars, and he's also awesome in Max Manus: Man of War.

I recently watched Max Manus with zero previous knowledge of it based on the description alone. I was not disappointed. I'm sure the movie made some creative liberties, but it tells an incredible story. I don't think I could have enjoyed it as much as I did without knowing that it's based on a real person.

It was also kind of neat that at the very end, they showed pictures of the actual people that the actors were portraying. Some drat good casting there.

Basically, it's a very good World War 2 movie that focuses on something other than the battles. Check it out!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

red19fire posted:

There's a Norwegian movie called Headhunters, it's a pretty awesome thriller as the guy descends into madness.

I'll second this recommendation - I was happy to see it pop up after seeing it in a local festival this summer. It's got great heist/thriller elements with some rather unexpected humor that somehow clicked.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like The Tall Man, but that's cause it was one of those cases where the trailer makes it seem like one thing, and the movie turns out to be something completely different.

If you go in without seeing the trailer, then yea I guess it's worth a shot. Not slenderman related in the least though :saddowns:

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I know if was mentioned on here a long time ago, but seriously people, watch Fish Story, it may be the most life-affirming movie you see this year.

I knew this could be amazing when I heard it was about a punk rock song saving humanity, and the movie absolutely delivered.

Also the song itself is awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGzIOs4jjVk

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I've just discovered a near-fatal flaw in Netflix's streaming catalog. They have no Ed Wood movies.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Troll Hunter was pretty drat entertaining. I'm a total sucker for found footage, though.

I really loved that it was kind of a traditional monster movie just put into the found footage genre. I mean, I'd seen monsters in a found footage movie obviously, but they were more disaster movie types (ie Cloverfield). Scenery was absolutely beautiful too, Norway is the land of desktop wallpapers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I recently watched Max Manus with zero previous knowledge of it based on the description alone. I was not disappointed. I'm sure the movie made some creative liberties, but it tells an incredible story. I don't think I could have enjoyed it as much as I did without knowing that it's based on a real person.

It was also kind of neat that at the very end, they showed pictures of the actual people that the actors were portraying. Some drat good casting there.

Basically, it's a very good World War 2 movie that focuses on something other than the battles. Check it out!

Flame & Citron is another similar good film showing the elements of moral ambiguity with the resistance struggle.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someone suggested Note by Note, a doc about how Steinway pianos are made. Very good! A nice mix of art and engineering.

Though you better like piano because the soundtrack is all piano all the time.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Devils on the Doorstep was a recent movie of the month on here, and at some recent point it was added to Netflix, and when I discovered that today it was added to my queue.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The Grey is now on Netflix. Watched it last night and found it really well done, beyond the fake-looking wolves.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fog Tripper posted:

The Grey is now on Netflix. Watched it last night and found it really well done, beyond the fake-looking wolves.

I don't think the wolves looking realistic was a major concern of the filmmakers. They definitely seemed allegorical for death when I watched it, more like grim reaper figures than any sort of real animal. I thought they looked sufficiently beast like and monstrous for the purpose they were meant to serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ultraviolet is a brittish mini series about how modern day vampires would be handled by brittish gents and dames. I am two episodes in and hooked.
Think more Sherlock and less dr.who and your in for a treat.

• Locked thread