Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Vagrancy posted:

Busted digitizer. RMA/Exchange it.

This turned out to be what it was, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
What are the good reasons not buy a Kindle Fire HD? It seems so cheap for what it can do.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hoops posted:

What are the good reasons not buy a Kindle Fire HD? It seems so cheap for what it can do.

Unless you're really tied to Amazon Instant Video, the Nexus 7 is better in pretty much every way.

Edit: Haha, content, ok. The software on the Kindles is still quite poor, especially compared to stock on the Nexus. This is the real big issue. There are still no volume buttons on the Kindles. The Amazon market is pretty poor compared to Google Play. Ads on the Kindle. Everything Amazon related besides Amazon Video is available to any Android device (pretty sure, is there anything else exclusive?). Also supposedly a 32GB Nexus 7 for $250, knocking the 16GB down to $200, will be announced in a week.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 22, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RVProfootballer posted:

Unless you're really tied to Amazon Instant Video, the Nexus 7 is better in pretty much every way.

Edit: Haha, content, ok. The software on the Kindles is still quite poor, especially compared to stock on the Nexus. This is the real big issue. There are still no volume buttons on the Kindles. The Amazon market is pretty poor compared to Google Play. Ads on the Kindle. Everything Amazon related besides Amazon Video is available to any Android device (pretty sure, is there anything else exclusive?). Also supposedly a 32GB Nexus 7 for $250, knocking the 16GB down to $200, will be announced in a week.

The screen is by all reports superior on the Kindle, as is the build quality.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

The screen is by all reports superior on the Kindle, as is the build quality.

All I saw was the color calibration is slightly worse on the Nexus. Anecdotally, I've never thought "hey the screen could really be better." You may be right, but it's nowhere near something like comparing an iPad 2 to an iPad 3 or anything :shrug:

Build quality, sure. On the bright side, just push your thumb along the edge of the screen of your shiny new Nexus. If you ever get a crunching sound and feel the screen give way, time to return it! It's ridiculous that that was ever an issue, but the newer runs seem to have cut down on this happening.

Really, software is the big issue for me, the Nexus 7 is already way ahead there to me and is going to keep getting upgrades.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

The 32GB is actually confirmed now by everyone except Google and ASUS. I even called one of the Staples here and they said almost all Staples stores will have it in stock, most won't sell until next Monday but they DO know of those who are.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 32GB is actually confirmed now by everyone except Google and ASUS. I even called one of the Staples here and they said almost all Staples stores will have it in stock, most won't sell until next Monday but they DO know of those who are.

I'm such a sucker for buying my 16 gb at Walmart last week. Oh well, I don't see myself having any issues with storage anyway since I either stream everything from Netflix, HBO Go, or Rdio.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I'm such a sucker for buying my 16 gb at Walmart last week. Oh well, I don't see myself having any issues with storage anyway since I either stream everything from Netflix, HBO Go, or Rdio.

Return that sucker! You have 90 days...I don't see why not.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThermoPhysical posted:

Staples employee here! I've been given the go ahead to tell customers that the 29th is the first day that we can sell the 32 GB Nexus 7-they've been shipped to stores and everything already. Interestingly enough, though, we just took down our Nexus 7 display to make room for a Windows 8 one. I didn't ask if we would be putting it back up or not.

That's all the Android tablet news I know for know-chances are I'll find out if the rumored Samsung-built 10" tablet is real or not at the same time y'all do.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Staples employee here! I've been given the go ahead to tell customers that the 29th is the first day that we can sell the 32 GB Nexus 7-they've been shipped to stores and everything already. Interestingly enough, though, we just took down our Nexus 7 display to make room for a Windows 8 one. I didn't ask if we would be putting it back up or not.

That's all the Android tablet news I know for know-chances are I'll find out if the rumored Samsung-built 10" tablet is real or not at the same time y'all do.

They probably will put that stand back up. A Staples employee leaked an updated stand to Android Police.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/19/internal-staples-document-suggests-8gb-nexus-7-is-being-discontinued-16gb-price-drop-imminent/

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Yeah. I literally just bought a Nexus 7 and literally just returned it today.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I hope you got the 25 funbucks first :cool:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Millstone posted:

Yeah. I literally just bought a Nexus 7 and literally just returned it today.

literally

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Not sure about the source, but they're saying the Nexus 10 will be $299

http://www.gadget-specs.com/2012/07/google-nexus-10-price-and-released-date.html

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mister Fister posted:

Not sure about the source, but they're saying the Nexus 10 will be $299

http://www.gadget-specs.com/2012/07/google-nexus-10-price-and-released-date.html

They need to stop making these. I've already replaced a Kindle Fire with a Nexus 7. Not sure I could resist a 10" tablet for that price, especially one that's AOSP.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Last night I totally broke systemui.apk on my nexus 7. Took about 8 reboots (no back or home buttons when systemui crashes at startup), but ended up dropping the latest CM10 nightly on it, got to say it's pretty good.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
So the screenlift issue on my Nexus 7 seems to have miraculously disappeared after I just got an RMA number and am awaiting confirmation of pickup for it to go back to be repaired.

I know the problem is there, it's just not presenting itself now for some reason. I'm more than happy to keep the tablet if it's fine, but I know it's gonna come back in a few days. What if I send it and they don't find an issue? I'm pretty sure ASUS will hit me with a bill.

Pain in the rear end. :negative:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's probably still there, don't worry about it. Does it disappear and reappear in different temperatures?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

krushgroove posted:

It's probably still there, don't worry about it. Does it disappear and reappear in different temperatures?

I dunno, I haven't really noticed. Is that what causes it? It's sitting on my desk next to a radiator now so I guess I'll know if it's the heat that causes it in a few hours.

Unless I can run some sort of stress test and heat up the battery that way. Hmm.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 23, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's getting cooler these days for most goons, and I think one of the supposed causes of the screen lifting is some bit of foam inside the case so I thought maybe ambient temperature might have something to do with your situation. But in some cases it's a screw that's too long, I think? so who knows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of screen lift in the Nexus 7, those who have the 32GB have stated that it's a C9O model, or the ones manufactured in October.

It's pretty much the same as a C9O 8/16GB with more memory. It also has missing screws as in the C8O model. Those who have it have stated no problems so far.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
To add onto my earlier post, despite the screen lift not being incredibly noticeable depending on...something...the screen has some pretty bad backlight bleed on the left side anyway. That should be enough to warrant a repair on its own, right? I'm just gonna send it anyway.

Edit: Here's a really bad video I recorded to show the backlight issue. You may notice the screen rippling effect near the end and about a minute in you can see a weird circular ripple under my finger. Not sure why that happens. Sorry for the sucky quality, I recorded it with my Galaxy Nexus.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 23, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb

Looks like Google is about to phase out the 8GB Nexus 7 in favor of the 32GB replacing the 16GB and the 16GB replacing the 8GB.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb

Looks like Google is about to phase out the 8GB Nexus 7 in favor of the 32GB replacing the 16GB and the 16GB replacing the 8GB.

Damnit. I want my 50 bucks back now. :-/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Is Best Buy selling the Nexus 7? I have a gift card I'd like to use...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Is Best Buy selling the Nexus 7? I have a gift card I'd like to use...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...%207&cp=1&lp=12

Yes.

Apparently, it's brown (??).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the "regular price" listed on that page is $349...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

WTF. I tried searching Best Buy and Google multiple ways and couldn't find that... Thanks.

Obviously I'm waiting until Monday to see if they have a 32GB version announced, but it'll be nice to use my gift card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That is a third party seller going through the Best Buy marketplace. If BB is anything like Sears.com, they'll let you use their gift cards on third parties on their site, but you might want to check the fine print.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bawfuls posted:

the "regular price" listed on that page is $349...

Ok, wow. I didn't even notice that until now.

Ozmodiar posted:

WTF. I tried searching Best Buy and Google multiple ways and couldn't find that... Thanks.

Obviously I'm waiting until Monday to see if they have a 32GB version announced, but it'll be nice to use my gift card.

No problem! All I did was look up Nexus 7...the first result was a Kindle Fire. It was buried on that page.

Zero VGS posted:

That is a third party seller going through the Best Buy marketplace. If BB is anything like Sears.com, they'll let you use their gift cards on third parties on their site, but you might want to check the fine print.

Ok, this I did not know. I know Sears.com does that though. But yeah, I'd check closely before ordering that.

If they weren't closed here, I'd call them up and see if they actually have them in store.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Japan question - my boss is flying to Japan in a week & is thinking of picking up a nexus 7 or kindle fire HD, can either of these be bought in stores over there?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cakefool posted:

Japan question - my boss is flying to Japan in a week & is thinking of picking up a nexus 7 or kindle fire HD, can either of these be bought in stores over there?

It shows up on the website of Yodobashi Camera (one of the biggest / most popular electronics stores over there) as "available over the counter," so almost definitely.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Yes but on account of exchange rates, higher MSRPs, and Japan being expensive as gently caress in general, it'll probably cost him twice as much with everything said and done as it would in the US. Speaking from experience.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Polo-Rican posted:

It shows up on the website of Yodobashi Camera (one of the biggest / most popular electronics stores over there) as "available over the counter," so almost definitely.

Thanks, store names are what I'm after.

Zero VGS posted:

Yes but on account of exchange rates, higher MSRPs, and Japan being expensive as gently caress in general, it'll probably cost him twice as much with everything said and done as it would in the US. Speaking from experience.

Uk here so generally 5-15% savings are possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Uk here so generally 5-15% savings are possible.

Ah, yikes. Don't they try to catch you and slap you with VAT if they see you coming back with electronics you didn't declare to customs? Or are they not that observant?

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

Zero VGS posted:

Ah, yikes. Don't they try to catch you and slap you with VAT if they see you coming back with electronics you didn't declare to customs? Or are they not that observant?

Posting from a Nexus 7 purchased in the States. Device came back in my hand luggage (and indeed used on the plane), box in the hold. Not an eyelid was batted.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

I have a volume rocker on my Kindle Fire HD.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beejay posted:

I have a volume rocker on my Kindle Fire HD.

Ah good, my bad :downs: I guess I glazed over that and combined previous Fire not having them + Paperwhite lacking all audio stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The 32GB Nexus 7 is now for sale on Buy.com

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=242286968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Am I just imagining things or do other people lose WiFi signal strength when they hold their Nexus 7 a certain way. I was laying in bed and noticed I was losing bars when holding it with the power button towards the top, they would come back when I turned it around.