Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ActionZero posted:

I always thought that was kind of like the fight between Suzaku and the knight of one in code geass. When Suzaku let the live geass he had placed on him come into play it made him so skilled that even though Bismarck could use his geass to see the future he couldn't actually do anything to stop Suzaku from killing him. Asemu just managed to get so mundanely good that an X-Rounder's ability wasn't any use against him forcing them to rely on their mundane skills, which given how he was good enough to force them to do that meant that most X-Rounders were pretty hosed at that point.

I suspect it might have been meant to be a case that Asemu and Woolf were just meant to be moving and reacting faster than Decil, Zeheart etc. could keep up with. Or at least, that would certainly be more sensible and easier to imply through words rather than showing through otherwise costly animation. Not even that they're planning things ahead so far that the x-rounders get lost in the "just as planned" moments trying to read them, just plain out-flying them. All it would have taken would be changing Decil's scream from "why can't I read him?" to "why can't I keep up with him" and bang, done. Maybe add that he can't keep up even knowing what Asemu's going to do next. It wouldn't even have to be something shown through expensive animation choreography. As is though, super piloting just seems to be another super power to me. Similar to how Fukuda and Murosawa wanted to show people keeping up with newtypes without special abilities and did it by inventing another special ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Man, Kira's "just killed a guy" reaction in SEED is so much worse than Amuro's in MSG. In MSG Amuro's like, "Holy poo poo, I just killed a guy", and it feels believable because the gravity of what has just happened is treated relatively realistically and naturally for a children's giant robot cartoon. In SEED Kira's like "OH MY GOD I JUST KILLED A GUY I'M GONNA QUIVER UNCONTROLLABLY FOR A FEW MINUTES WHILE SAD PIANO MUSIC PLAYS" and the way it's handled is so maudlin and over-the-top that it becomes a farce.

Edit: Also gotta love when they want to make a person's reaction to something DRAMATIC so they just slap a negative filter on a shot of their face.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 17, 2012

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Well Manicured Man posted:

Man, Kira's "just killed a guy" reaction in SEED is so much worse than Amuro's in MSG. In MSG Amuro's like, "Holy poo poo, I just killed a guy", and it feels believable because the gravity of what has just happened is treated relatively realistically and naturally for a children's giant robot cartoon. In SEED Kira's like "OH MY GOD I JUST KILLED A GUY I'M GONNA QUIVER UNCONTROLLABLY FOR A FEW MINUTES WHILE SAD PIANO MUSIC PLAYS" and the way it's handled is so maudlin and over-the-top that it becomes a farce.

Edit: Also gotta love when they want to make a person's reaction to something DRAMATIC so they just slap a negative filter on a shot of their face.

Wait until they tell Kira's voice actor to cry and he accidentally acts out murdering a horse instead.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Wait until they tell Kira's voice actor to cry and he accidentally acts out murdering a horse instead.

I remember watching the sub of that scene remembering that the dub wasn't bad and thinking "I'm sure it's just overhyped, right?"

'Twas not overhyped. :stonk:

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I somehow missed that crying scene when it aired in English so I came to that cold watching it subbed with my brother. :ughh:

It was never the greatest dramatic scene in fiction but that voice acting made it like 100x worse.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

tsob posted:

I suspect it might have been meant to be a case that Asemu and Woolf were just meant to be moving and reacting faster than Decil, Zeheart etc. could keep up with. Or at least, that would certainly be more sensible and easier to imply through words rather than showing through otherwise costly animation. Not even that they're planning things ahead so far that the x-rounders get lost in the "just as planned" moments trying to read them, just plain out-flying them. All it would have taken would be changing Decil's scream from "why can't I read him?" to "why can't I keep up with him" and bang, done. Maybe add that he can't keep up even knowing what Asemu's going to do next. It wouldn't even have to be something shown through expensive animation choreography. As is though, super piloting just seems to be another super power to me. Similar to how Fukuda and Murosawa wanted to show people keeping up with newtypes without special abilities and did it by inventing another special ability.

I like him much better in the 3rd gen when he's the only guy using any kind of battle tactics more complex than "shoot the other dude". There are a bunch of times when he's shown to be steps ahead of everyone else to make up for the fact that he's fighting a bunch of psychics, and even his suit's flash thing and grappling hooks are all geared towards fighting dirty rather than winning through superior firepower. That seems to me to be a much better representation of being a great pilot without being psychic than anything he did in gen 2.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A new 08th MS Team OVA is going to be on the upcoming blurays.

MAL-New Short OVA of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Announced posted:

According to the official website, a Blu-ray box set of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team was announced to be released on February 22nd 2013. A brand new short OVA will be bundled with the box set. The title is "Sajigen tono Tatakai (Battle against three dimension)" and the story is written by Ohkochi Ichiro.

Key visual of the OVA

When the 08th MS team tries to cross a land bridge in a jungle, they are attacked by Zeon corps from every quarter.

Source: 08 MS Team Blu-ray official website

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If it has that horrible "last" episode, I will not buy it on principle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

If it has that horrible "last" episode, I will not buy it on principle.

Get real; you wouldn't buy it anyway. If it's like the other re-releases it's Japan-only and $500 or so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Midjack posted:

Get real; you wouldn't buy it anyway. If it's like the other re-releases it's Japan-only and $500 or so.

Sometimes I wonder how anime companies make any money in Japan at all.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Calculate how many copies they expect to sell, then calculate how much money they want to make. Now divide the desired profit by the number of projected sales. Voila! There's your per-unit price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whizbang posted:

I liked Gundam Seed when I was younger. It hasn't held up well (though I do still like the Freedom Gundam, just for the big fuckoff quad guns mounted to the hips and wings). I also really wish the second season of Gundam 00 had been more like the first. It was well-paced had a good bit of mystery to the story. The second season... turned into a "who's got the newer super-mech" contest real fast. (though I do like the Seravee, for the same reasons as the Freedom - GUNS-O'-DOOM! :black101:)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the only thing I liked about AGE was they didn't gently caress around getting the kid into a Gundam.

"hey I wanna pilot that thing and fight"
"no way kid you're a kid!"
*stupid speech*
"ok, kid go get em!"

tbf I only watched the first episode.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

coconono posted:

the only thing I liked about AGE was they didn't gently caress around getting the kid into a Gundam.

*stupid speech*
"ok, kid go get em!"

Chances are you only would have liked one more thing about the show anyways. You did yourself a favor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coconono posted:

*stupid speech*
"ok, kid go get em!"

The problem is that they do something which makes that even less sensible later on, such as revealing they have a super-top ace pilot hanging out on their ship who wants to pilot the Gundam and nobody seems to agree that he should.

Then he goes out and gets a robot as good as the Gundam from some guys he know. v:shobon:v

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked Gundam Seed when I was younger. It hasn't held up well (though I do still like the Freedom Gundam, just for the big fuckoff quad guns mounted to the hips and wings). I also really wish the second season of Gundam 00 had been more like the first. It was well-paced had a good bit of mystery to the story. The second season... turned into a "who's got the newer super-mech" contest real fast. (though I do like the Seravee, for the same reasons as the Freedom - GUNS-O'-DOOM! :black101:)
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng, this is going to be so annoying when I reach Destiny because I feel like there's actually some nice plot progression where I'm at in SEED (episode 40 or so). Enemies becoming friends, third faction for peace coming forward, etc...

This is going to crash and burn in front of my face, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng, this is going to be so annoying when I reach Destiny because I feel like there's actually some nice plot progression where I'm at in SEED (episode 40 or so). Enemies becoming friends, third faction for peace coming forward, etc...

If you reach episode 40 and are enjoying the plot progression you'll probably at least enjoy the rest of SEED. Destiny is another matter, but there are people out there that like it. You might be one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

JazzFlight posted:

Crash, burn, and then piss on your twitching corpse. Enjoy. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JazzFlight posted:

If you've enjoyed it so far, you'll enjoy it to the end. I haven't actually seen Destiny, but I'd wager that's where it REALLY goes downhill.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I enjoyed Destiny when I first saw it, but it hasn't held up that well. To it's credit, I sorta see what they were trying to go for, but the execution just isn't pulled off right.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm not even sure what they were trying to do with Destiny, since the arguable theme of the show (destiny vs freedom) is pretty much completely ignored until the very end and extremely shoddily resolved. In the meantime, cardboard cutouts interact in extremely stupid ways through stock animation.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 23, 2012

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

BlitzBlast posted:

In the meantime, cardboard cutouts interact in extremely stupid ways through stock animation.

Completely out of place in a sequel to gundam SEED.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

tbh I unironically love a lot of Wing's stock footage.

Heavyarms knifing that Aries while SPINNING IN MIDAIR or doing disco dances and missing every shot? Wing (Zero?) killing the exact same three Leos with its ridiculous gun? gently caress. Yes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Adam Strange posted:

tbh I unironically love a lot of Wing's stock footage.

Heavyarms knifing that Aries while SPINNING IN MIDAIR or doing disco dances and missing every shot? Wing (Zero?) killing the exact same three Leos with its ridiculous gun? gently caress. Yes.

Pretty sure that was Wing. Was the Leo even being used by the time Wing Zero showed up? I thought it was all mobile dolls by then.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
When I first saw Endless Waltz, still a tween, I hated it just because Heavyarms no longer had a big rear end knife.

Beam sabers are neat and all, but a solid chunk of metal the size of a few houses? :black101:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Man, you know they seriously overused stock footage when someone says "disco dance machine gun" and you know exactly what they mean.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
At least it's still entertaining, unlike Deathscythe's stock footage
*Eyes glow*
*slices enemy in half*

or

*shoots shield thing off left arm*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nasgate posted:

When I first saw Endless Waltz, still a tween, I hated it just because Heavyarms no longer had a big rear end knife.

Beam sabers are neat and all, but a solid chunk of metal the size of a few houses? :black101:

You'd like the Exia then - giant wrist-mounted sword that swings out to deploy and cleaves through FLAG's (the generic mechs of Gundam 00) with ease.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure that was Wing. Was the Leo even being used by the time Wing Zero showed up? I thought it was all mobile dolls by then.

Leo's were actually the main mobile suit forces used in the final battle against the White Fang mobile dolls. The mobile dolls which at that point were invincible thanks to their mass-produced planetary defenses.

But then they were defeated because Quatro lost at fencing. Or something.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Tae posted:

Leo's were actually the main mobile suit forces used in the final battle against the White Fang mobile dolls. The mobile dolls which at that point were invincible thanks to their mass-produced planetary defenses.

All I remember is the Leos' weapon couldn't even penetrate the md's defense field. So for most part of the major battles, those Leos are more or less acting as cannon fodder.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

wfwon posted:

All I remember is the Leos' weapon couldn't even penetrate the md's defense field. So for most part of the major battles, those Leos are more or less acting as cannon fodder.

They got upgraded for space and new paint job/weapons if I remember right. Being purple makes them able to compete.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 23, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

They got upgraded for space and new paint job/weapons if I remember right. Being purple makes them able to compete.

Nope, they were completely useless except for the scenes when they just kamikazed into the dolls. Even took multiple to beat one doll in one scene! The only soldier doing anything was Treize's Talgeese, but then Wu-fei fought him for some reason and the Leo's did jack poo poo yeah.

edit: Were they only purple in space? Could've sworn they were purple by default.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Tae posted:

edit: Were they only purple in space? Could've sworn they were purple by default.

Ground Leos are in fact green.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Since purple is half red, it makes the Leos 1.5 times as fast.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Standard type in East Asian forces is a different shade of purple, too. :spergin:

Didn't they get laser rifles in the fight against White Fang anyway? I thought they were a little less useless in the finale. :v:

They are still one of my favourite generic mobile suit designs, though.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I haven't been able to stand watching past ten or so episodes of Gundam Wing but I still love the Leo design.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tae posted:

To be fair to that defeat, the Mobile Dolls were all linked to that special helmet that let the wearer control them like Funnels. It was dumb to link all of them to the one helmet, but still.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I haven't been able to stand watching past ten or so episodes of Gundam Wing but I still love the Leo design.

All the Wing grunts are pretty great - probably the most consistently good set of designs in the franchise. 00 has some really solid ones too (Flag :swoon:) but Wing edges it out, I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Azran posted:

Didn't they get laser rifles in the fight against White Fang anyway? I thought they were a little less useless in the finale. :v:

Planetary defenses guard against everything, including Deathscythe's scizor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I admit, I was insanely happy when Bandai announced an Mg Tallgeese. That design is just so awesome and it remains one of my all time favourite non gundam suits.

Wing really did have a great roster of enemy suits.

• Locked thread