Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tuyop has a desktop computer plus his girlfriend has a laptop.

tuyop posted:

Regarding the laptop chat, I literally have zero dollars for this at this point or for many months. I'm hoping to get the Visa balance destroyed before i even consider a laptop. Especially since its not a necessity now. Toeshoes has a laptop, we have a desktop, and I have an iPhone. If I need the mobility (when I go back to school, maybe?) I'll probably sell the desktop and replace it with a laptop.

So no, he's not going to end up writing his CV or searching for work on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We found a roommate for 400 a month. She also works on base so we get to carpool as well. I'd say this is a "big win". She's also stuck here after we'll be gone, so the landlord will be happy that he won't have to deal with any vacancy.

However, I bought a 60 dollar futon thing that we both hate. I'm not sure if we're going to keep it or just try to reroll it over on kijiji or something. (I bought it because I was pretty sure it wouldn't be TOO bad after awhile, and the guy even delivered it!)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You have major back issues. I'm sure BFC won't begrudge you a decent bed.

Futons make terrible long term beds, I slept on one for like a year in college... Ugh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Futons make terrible long term beds, I slept on one for like a year in college... Ugh.

I already bought a nice bed. 500 bucks for a sweet new mattress. This is just for a couch.

I guess you guys are against the "don't pay a cent until 2014" deals at The Brick, eh?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I'm not a fan of it. You can buy "demo" models of mattresses. Most of them are actually mattresses refused upon delivery at Sleep Country not even touched.

Save a lot on good mattresses that way.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, I slept on one for about 2 years due to limited space - it was even a very nice futon, and my back still hated me for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
We just want to put a couch on a payment plan so that we can stop worrying about having it moved here, who had sex on it, et cetera. I bought a TV on a no-interest plan years ago, paid my 40 bucks a month for two years and it was a great experience.

This one that we bought is really terrible. :(

But yeah, we'll suffer through (not that it's really a terrible thing, I'm joking), because it makes no sense to spend MORE THAN all of our money on a couch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You should look into buying floor models or demo units. We got a nice hardwood table (with chairs) that was normally about $1,000 according to internet research, and got it down to $400 complete with a guy to deliver it, disassemble it and reassemble it back where the old table was.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Chronojam posted:

You should look into buying floor models or demo units. We got a nice hardwood table (with chairs) that was normally about $1,000 according to internet research, and got it down to $400 complete with a guy to deliver it, disassemble it and reassemble it back where the old table was.

This is the right idea. The wife and I wanted a chair-and-a-half w/ottoman for our spare room, and they were $500-$800 everywhere. Value City Furniture had one in the perfect color as a floor model and it was $125. It had a little bit of wear, but it's just for our spare room so it was perfect.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The other thing is all the little stuff that makes up kitchens adds up like crazy. Like we still don't have a utensil holder because a simple metal mesh cup is totally not worth $10+ right now.

And most of that stuff on amazon does not ship to Canada. Is there a good small household goods online retailer for Canadians? :canada:

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

The dollar store (b+m) will help you with necessary items if you need it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tuyop posted:

The other thing is all the little stuff that makes up kitchens adds up like crazy. Like we still don't have a utensil holder because a simple metal mesh cup is totally not worth $10+ right now.

And most of that stuff on amazon does not ship to Canada. Is there a good small household goods online retailer for Canadians? :canada:

They're a waste of precious counter space anyway. You want to hang as much stuff on wall hooks as you possibly can.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Proc posted:

They're a waste of precious counter space anyway. You want to hang as much stuff on wall hooks as you possibly can.

I'll post a pic of the counter as soon as I get it cleaned up from supper. Maybe there's some more cool ways I can maximize utility and save money.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

We just want to put a couch on a payment plan so that we can stop worrying about having it moved here, who had sex on it, et cetera. I bought a TV on a no-interest plan years ago, paid my 40 bucks a month for two years and it was a great experience.

This one that we bought is really terrible. :(

But yeah, we'll suffer through (not that it's really a terrible thing, I'm joking), because it makes no sense to spend MORE THAN all of our money on a couch.

Yeah, I think suffering through a couch seems like a first world problem.

I don't think anyone would begrudge you though if you put the mattress on a payment plan though. I agree with others on the iPhone that if it truly enhances your life, you should own that fact and keep it. Where you tend to run into problems is when you deprive yourself to the point you suffer, and then the suffering causes you to buy things you don't need. This inheritance isn't an enormous amount of money, but it is enough to be a real game changer if you do it right. It will require a lot of discipline though, and I think you will accomplish more with it if you are not suffering any more than you need to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alright, the proc, here's a cheesy photosynth panorama of my kitchen. Please don't judge me!

I'm pretty happy with how the mattress went. The guy we bought it from was dealing it in a sort of outlet place. We almost went for a 700 dollar one, but we decided to try one of his "clearance" models. It was perfect, only 500, and he would cut out the tax if we paid cash. Twenty minutes later we saw the same model at The Brick for 1400. :smug:

But yeah, no payment plan. I think we might just get a new futon mattress or even some kind of board to reinforce the bottom of the cushion on this one. I just keep seeing flyers advertising "No payments, no interest until 2014!!!!" at Lowes and other places. A 550 dollar coach over 24 months would be a negligible expense ($23). It's on the thirty day list.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

Alright, the proc, here's a cheesy photosynth panorama of my kitchen. Please don't judge me!

That is a lot nicer than I was expecting.

You only have to look at some of the 'post your room' threads to see a lot of goons who are better off than you financially, whose places are:

a) lovely furniture/fittings/construction
b) untidy, dirty and squalid

You are doing much better than them

quote:

I'm pretty happy with how the mattress went. The guy we bought it from was dealing it in a sort of outlet place. We almost went for a 700 dollar one, but we decided to try one of his "clearance" models. It was perfect, only 500, and he would cut out the tax if we paid cash. Twenty minutes later we saw the same model at The Brick for 1400. :smug:

Enjoy that smug glow. You deserve it. This is a much better way to save money than starving yourself.

quote:

But yeah, no payment plan. I think we might just get a new futon mattress or even some kind of board to reinforce the bottom of the cushion on this one. I just keep seeing flyers advertising "No payments, no interest until 2014!!!!" at Lowes and other places. A 550 dollar coach over 24 months would be a negligible expense ($23). It's on the thirty day list.

Resist the temptation and you will get out of this.

At the very least, posting here first, then forcing yourself to think about it is the way forward. The guys here will always give brutally honest advice that you can use to make a good decision.

As for things like utensile holders: church sales/car boot sales, charity shops, etc are great places to find decent quality stuff at dirt cheap prices.

People will buy midrange stuff, get bored with it and then give it away/car boot it for a fraction of the purchase price, simply because their only alternative is to dump it.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
God drat you've got a big kitchen. My kitchen is about the size of your counter, gently caress. Looks like you've got a ton of storage space.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mulatto Butts posted:

God drat you've got a big kitchen. My kitchen is about the size of your counter, gently caress. Looks like you've got a ton of storage space.

Haha, thanks. I think that's a trick of the panorama, the kitchen is kind of also the dining room and living room. I was standing with my butt touching the new futon. About fifteen feet away is the exterior wall of the bathroom. But yeah, we really like our place. That kitchen was also a mess, everything was stained yellow and greasy from cooking and tobacco smoke, and instead of buying decorations (frames) one weekend we just went loving crazy on it with lysol and magic erasers and the difference is huge. I'm trying to convince toeshoes that taking the cupboard doors off (and stashing them in a closet) on the sink wall will make the space seem larger and more modern.

You can also see the boxes from our latest guilty purchases. We spent about 100 bucks on hooks, bathroom shelves and that sexy magnetic knife block ($14 on sale). I thought this was reasonable because we spent three weeks tripping over soap in the shower and hanging towels on furniture and doors to dry before pulling the trigger.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

A 550 dollar coach over 24 months would be a negligible expense ($23). It's on the thirty day list.

You’re joking, right?

You know the difference between the rich person mindset and the poor person mindset? The rich guy asks if he can afford something. The poor guy asks if he can afford the payment.

There is something about your brain I don’t understand. You feel guilty about spending $100 dollars for one time purchases to make your house more comfortable, but you casually sign up for 24 monthly payments with barely a thought. This from a guy who is broke because he is broke because he already has too many payments, a guy who is in the not all unique situation where he can afford his car payment but not his car.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tuyop, I think I've found a video that will help explain things at a level you might find useful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So never sign up for a payment plan on anything unless it's a bed?

Is that a difference between a need and a want or what?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Obviously there is a difference between needs and wants. A cheap, bedbug infested mattress that hurts your back and submits your home to parasites is probably not a good thing in the long run. A clean, comfortable mattress is one of the most important thing you can own.

A couch is not a necessity like a bed, and a TV is definitely a luxury. Surely you see the difference in borrowing a few thousand from the bank to buy a reliable used car (Corolla, etc.) and putting yourself over the barrel for years so you can Zoom Zoom™.

Not all borrowing is bad. It's just that most borrowing is bad when you're already broke. You need to make some smart decisions to fix your situation.

April
Jul 3, 2006

What about the roommate you're getting? Assuming the couch is in a common area, could you guys split the cost of a slightly better one? Or would she be able to get one herself, since you guys are outfitting the kitchen?

I agree that it's not a necessity, however.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

Unless it is a)essential and b) you can afford to pay for it.

quote:

Come on, I know you aren't this dense:

You need a decent bed because a) you have to sleep and b) a poor quality mattress will damage your already-damaged back.

You don't need an expensive couch because a) you can sit on the floor, on beanbags, on a stack of phonebooks and b) a bad couch will not prevent you from sleeping, or cause you damage.

A couch made from pallets and foam will cost you <$100 and function just as well as once that costs >$500. Sure, it won't look as good, but you need $400 more than you need attractive interior decorations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pallet+couch&hl=en

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

That's pretty neat. I like the extra storage space too but it needs some padding on the corners because I can see someone getting hurt walking into it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah forget saving money, those pallet couches are loving sweet.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

You've sat in worse. Just use your regular couch and don't overthink that someone might have had sex on it once.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Payment plans aren't bad for essential items as others have said. and yeah, it's not as if their sweaty sagging balls were resting right on that armrest. :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
At least there are no bloodstains this time. My 30 dollar bed from 2011-August 2012 had obviously been perioded on.

Edit: well not so obvious that I noticed before buying it. Someone definitely tried to take out the stain and it almost worked.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 23, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

You're renting out a room so that means your kitchen and common area really becomes a common zone - a place where all the renters get to congregate. I would not spend any money on a couch for that spot because I'd expect it to take a beating over time.

I've been lucky to find or be given the last few couches I've had. Now I've upgraded to a sweet Ikea model that's hella comfy but I don't have any roommates so I can have something a little nicer.

Keep an eye out for alley couches right around when school semesters end. Sometimes you find couches in excellent repair that were ditched because the overprivileged students living there didn't want to bother moving it as they flounce off to their future careers. Or, you can keep an eye on Craigslist and pick up a couch on the super cheap for the cost of moving it out of someone's house. It's a drat couch, so long as you can stretch out on it, don't sink in half when sitting down and there aren't too many visible stains you're good. Throw a cover over the top and *bam* you're talking class!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

You're renting out a room so that means your kitchen and common area really becomes a common zone - a place where all the renters get to congregate. I would not spend any money on a couch for that spot because I'd expect it to take a beating over time.

I've been lucky to find or be given the last few couches I've had. Now I've upgraded to a sweet Ikea model that's hella comfy but I don't have any roommates so I can have something a little nicer.

Keep an eye out for alley couches right around when school semesters end. Sometimes you find couches in excellent repair that were ditched because the overprivileged students living there didn't want to bother moving it as they flounce off to their future careers. Or, you can keep an eye on Craigslist and pick up a couch on the super cheap for the cost of moving it out of someone's house. It's a drat couch, so long as you can stretch out on it, don't sink in half when sitting down and there aren't too many visible stains you're good. Throw a cover over the top and *bam* you're talking class!

I'm all for being thrifty but we are talking about bed bug boy.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
CuddleChunks went a little Carl Weathers in that last post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFZAyZPjV0

"There's still meat on that couch"
"Take it home, put the meat in a pot with broth and a potato, throw a cover on the couch. You got a stew goin! and a classy place to eat it on!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You work in an office with a zillion people, nearly all of whom are better off financially than you. Get the word out that you'd love to have a free or cheap couch. People replace furniture all the time because it's the wrong color or whatever and they're usually happy to have someone haul it away for free.
You're still with the Canadian Forces, right? Families and young enlisted persons ditch furniture left, right, and sideways at US bases and there are some serious deals to be had if you open up the base classifieds.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

April posted:

What about the roommate you're getting?

We almost had a roommate for November, but her mom somehow talked her out if it.

So Tuyop put the ad back up on Kijiji for a roommate, and so far he got mad props for his ad ( she said it was funny and witty) but no reply's from potential buyers.

Edit: I ask the people that live in the shacks on base, regularly, if they know anyone getting rid of stuff. A lot of people get posted out of here and can't take all of their belongings, but I haven't heard anything recently.

ToeShoes fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 24, 2012

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

ToeShoes posted:

( she said it was funny and witty)

Any desire to post it here? This isn't in the same vein as the Fredericton appt ad?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

CuddleChunks went a little Carl Weathers in that last post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFZAyZPjV0

"There's still meat on that couch"
"Take it home, put the meat in a pot with broth and a potato, throw a cover on the couch. You got a stew goin! and a classy place to eat it on!"

I live in the Fertile Crescent of college furniture I guess. The land is rich with sofas and comfy armchairs to those willing to toil in the field during harvest.

I forgot that Tuyop has already wallowed in bed buggery, I guess he won't want to do that again. Ah well, maybe he can put up a nice living room set on his amazon wish list for his next sugar daddy to buy. You are still a go for cam shows, right Tuyop?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-apartments-condos-1-bedroom-Room-for-rent-in-New-Tecumseth-450-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ424778664 I'll probably post a boring, normal ad tonight because this one isn't getting any more views.

CuddleChunks posted:

I live in the Fertile Crescent of college furniture I guess. The land is rich with sofas and comfy armchairs to those willing to toil in the field during harvest.

I forgot that Tuyop has already wallowed in bed buggery, I guess he won't want to do that again. Ah well, maybe he can put up a nice living room set on his amazon wish list for his next sugar daddy to buy. You are still a go for cam shows, right Tuyop?

I meant to ask about that. There's a bunch of lights on pretty cheap at princess auto in town. I put them on the thirty day list. Do I actually need any equipment other than a laptop webcam and my dick? (and a mask fashioned from a sock or something, for the shame)

\/\/\/ Yeah, maybe I'll get one of these if I ever make any money.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 24, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Why not use the luchador mask? Seriously a big part of this will be character appeal, right?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

tuyop posted:

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-apartments-condos-1-bedroom-Room-for-rent-in-New-Tecumseth-450-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ424778664 I'll probably post a boring, normal ad tonight because this one isn't getting any more views.

I meant to ask about that. There's a bunch of lights on pretty cheap at princess auto in town. I put them on the thirty day list. Do I actually need any equipment other than a laptop webcam and my dick? (and a mask fashioned from a sock or something, for the shame)

\/\/\/ Yeah, maybe I'll get one of these if I ever make any money.

The reason nobody is calling you from that ad is because you sound like a gigantic insufferable prick. Tone down the funny and just say 'no pets' instead.

The clean thing and the hours you claim to keep would make me move right the gently caress on because you come across as being both terminally boring and having a huge stick up your rear end.

You are not being as clever or funny as you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I would go with something like this:

My fiancé and I just moved into a two bedroom apartment. We have a large kitchen, lots of cupboard space with new oven and refrigerator, washer and dryer in the unit. The apartment has an open floor plan, large windows that let in a lot of light and off street parking. We have a back yard and will be using it to grow some herbs and vegetables next year.

We are fun roommates, we work hard and won’t be home a lot, but when we are we like to cook big meals, hang out with the neighbors, enjoy photography, go on bike rides and explore the area. We like to travel and have a lot of stories to share. We are meticulously clean and expect the same from our roommate. Ideally we want to share our home and not just rent out a bedroom we are not using. No pets please.

Sometimes less is more, and your brocolli farting story will be much more endearing in person accompanied by a smile than it is in print. I don't like the word "cozy" (it is code word for small) and don't word things in ways that imply you are desperate.

• Locked thread