Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Has anyone used freedompop?

I'm thinking of using it with the new touch that i'll be getting in a couple weeks, and combine them to make like a poor mans iPhone.
Wouldn't they need to make one that fits the new iPod first? It looks like the one they're promoting was made for the 4th generation iPod Touch.

BTW, I just got my blue 5th Gen Touch and it's freaking amazing. I'm so glad to be rid of that laggy piece of poo poo that my 4th became after two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Wouldn't they need to make one that fits the new iPod first? It looks like the one they're promoting was made for the 4th generation iPod Touch.

BTW, I just got my blue 5th Gen Touch and it's freaking amazing. I'm so glad to be rid of that laggy piece of poo poo that my 4th became after two years.

Would it be a bother to ask you to post some camera test pics? Outdoors, indoors, low light, whatever you could, if you can. Thanks!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hypersleep posted:

Would it be a bother to ask you to post some camera test pics? Outdoors, indoors, low light, whatever you could, if you can. Thanks!
I took a few outside, sorry no low light stuff. The sheer difference in resolution and the ability to focus for macro shots is well worth the upgrade.
http://imgur.com/a/5dR3N

Definitely view the comparisons at full resolution by clicking the gear in the top right corner of the image.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I took a few outside, sorry no low light stuff. The sheer difference in resolution and the ability to focus for macro shots is well worth the upgrade.
http://imgur.com/a/5dR3N

Definitely view the comparisons at full resolution by clicking the gear in the top right corner of the image.

Nice, thanks. The new camera looks very similar in quality to the 3rd gen iPad. It's at least as good as the camera in the iPhone 4, and likely better (especially taking into consideration extra things like the saphyr lens cover).

5MP isn't much but it's certainly good enough for anyone posting pics on Facebook or Tumblr or whatever. I don't think Apple's wrong to market this as a point-and-shoot alternative for people who don't already own a dedicated camera or recent smartphone.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Nope, it works with any wifi enabled device.

Well I figured, for free, its worth a shot. Mine is on its way.

Cant wait to get my 5th gen touch. My samsung exhibit II 4G blows donkey balls, and I miss having an iOS device.

randyest posted:

I'm skeptical though. Other than the coverage (which looks pretty good around me in Boston) anyone know of any drawbacks?

If you're skeptical about it being free, its because they make money from upgraded plans, overages, and extra services. You can upgrade to 2GB and 4GB a month, and you can pay a few bucks a month to get a faster connection, and pay a fee for a data usage reminder service, and its 1 cent per MB over your allowance.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 15, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Nope, it works with any wifi enabled device.
I mean the shape of the case, not the connectors. Is it custom fitted for the new ipod touch?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I mean the shape of the case, not the connectors. Is it custom fitted for the new ipod touch?

Case? This is the device they're shipping me:

Hoping the coverage is decent.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Case? This is the device they're shipping me:

Hoping the coverage is decent.
Huh, weird, I can't find that on their site, only the two sleeves for the iPod Touch and iPhone 4/4s.

Yeah, if they make a generic mobile WiFi hotspot, that's different.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Huh, weird, I can't find that on their site, only the two sleeves for the iPod Touch and iPhone 4/4s.

Yeah, if they make a generic mobile WiFi hotspot, that's different.

Weird. It never showed me those sleeves. Just the USB dongle, and tethering box.

Maybe its a regional thing. I'd love to have the sleeve thing though.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just picked up the new iPod touch, mostly for development purposes. It's pretty great. Some observations:

- Screen looks great, new resolution is fine.
- Those colors look even worse in real life than they do on the site. Bad cotton candy, salmon, and I don't even know what shade of green. Black/grey/white look good though, and the red one is fine.
- The new connector is great because it doesn't matter which way it goes. It's a connector so who cares, but this is the best thing ever.
- It sucks that this still seems to be copying files at USB 2.0 speeds.
- It's a lot of money, no matter which way you look at it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Apple's holding a special event to debut the iPad Mini, a new iTunes, and some other cool stuff. Click the image or right here to head over to the event thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Here's your problem, most likely.

Go to the main screen of your Touch in iTunes and scroll down. Make sure this is checked:

Note that this will delete the music on your iPod and you'll have to add it all again.

For some reason it didn't delete anything and this worked perfectly, thanks much!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a newest model ipod shuffle, it's my constant companion when I am cycling. Recently though it has developed a problem, it's turning on all by itself from time to time. The first times I noticed it it was in my pocket so I figured I was bumping the button by accident, but now multiple times it's happened when it was just sitting on my desk. And of course, if I don't notice it come on because I'm asleep or something, the next time I want to use it the battery will be empty. The only thing I can think of is that because I'm wearing it on my shirt while cycling it gets sweat on it, and the sweat has gotten inside and gummed up the button's connection. If that's the case is there anything I could do about it? Or is there something else it could be?

edit: it just did it again not five minutes after I wrote this

edit: crap, I turned it off and five minutes later it turned back on again, is it getting worse? I guess I'll actually turn the power switch off for now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 24, 2012

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I just got my 5th gen iPod touch in and I noticed after 6 hours of charging the battery has gotten virtually nowhere. It went from maybe 20% to 50%.

Anyone else encountering this issue? I googled it and found mostly articles from morons who called their 4th gen model a 5th gen model.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jet Ready Go posted:

I just got my 5th gen iPod touch in and I noticed after 6 hours of charging the battery has gotten virtually nowhere. It went from maybe 20% to 50%.

Anyone else encountering this issue? I googled it and found mostly articles from morons who called their 4th gen model a 5th gen model.

I would download Battery Doctor, restart the device, and plug the lightning connector into a different USB port on a different device if available.

If Battery Doctor confirms that the battery isnt charging, then it's most likely a hardware issue and you'll need to exchange it.

edit:

luvin the decent camera and panorama

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 26, 2012

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I just bought an iPod Nano 6th gen from Gamestop! It's great! They even include brand new earbuds!

Thanks, Gamestop. :downsgun:

gay skull fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 29, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Does anyone have any opinions regarding the new Nano? My Ipod video is finally dying after 6 years of faithful service; doesn't hold charge for poo poo. I am quite liking the look of the new nano and was wondering if anyone here has one, and is happy with it.

I would have bought an iPod classic, but they are still surprisingly expensive.

Edit for below - They are the old earphones, and not the new Apple Earbuds as advertised.

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 30, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ohnoitschris posted:

I just bought an iPod Nano 6th gen from Gamestop! It's great! They even include brand new earbuds!

Thanks, Gamestop. :downsgun:

I apologize for being a big clueless square, but I don't get it. :saddowns:

VVVV
VVVV :doh: I totally missed the two Ls. Thanks.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 30, 2012

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

prefect posted:

You're supposed to get these with them:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

prefect posted:

those are made for people with 2 left ears

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jack_tripper posted:

those are made for people with 2 left ears

What would be hilarious is if they're actually both wired to the left channel of the plug.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
...and this'll teach me to click the thumbnail. Still, shouldn't you be getting EarPods with a new Touch or Nano?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've pretty much decided to go and buy the new nano tomorrow; will let you guys know my first impressions. Black all the way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nihiliste posted:

...and this'll teach me to click the thumbnail. Still, shouldn't you be getting EarPods with a new Touch or Nano?
Nah, 6th generation is last year's square shuffle sized one with the touch screen.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Gamestop sells refurbished iPods with bootleg earbuds. I don't think you can get Earpods from them yet.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My freedompop hotspot device arrived today. I spent this afternoon testing it out. I basically listened to several music streaming apps (pandora, turntable, songza) on my iPod, while I cycled for 3 hours and 52 miles.

For me, the connection was reliable and steady. It didn't drop. Speed isnt terribly fast 1.5mb down, 250kb up. But its sufficient for most tasks. I even did a facetime call and both our audio was clear, and our video was smooth.

I don't know how long the battery life is on a full charge, and how good the connection is in different areas or hours, but so far, so good.

I don't know if the free 500MB a month allowance will be enough for me. If not, I may upgrade.

Definitely recommend this for people who have freedompop available for their area and want to make their iPod Touch a poor mans iPhone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have no idea how this thread turned into the "Freedompop" thread, but what the heck.

What happens if you go over your bandwidth allotment? Is the tool to check how much you used easily accessible?

Their website is so barebones, it's terrifying.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Boxman posted:

I have no idea how this thread turned into the "Freedompop" thread, but what the heck.

What happens if you go over your bandwidth allotment? Is the tool to check how much you used easily accessible?

Their website is so barebones, it's terrifying.

I went over by 250 MB and they charge me 10 bucks going to take 2.50 out of it

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I wish to retain control of my ipod when I connect it to a receiver. I don't like the receiver's terribly abbreviated lists and wonky controls.

Is that option in the ipod or at the receiver?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I got a new Linksys E2000 this weekend, and I got it installed just fine. The only issue I have is that my iPod won't find the network if I set the router to use the 5 GHz band.

Everything works just fine when I use the 2.4 GHz band. Does iOS/the iPod not support 5 GHz?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
What generation iPod do you have? Only the 5th generation iPhone and Touch work with Wifi N on the 5Ghz band. The 4th gens run N on the 2.4 ghz band only.

Edit: now with helpful spec comparisons from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_touch#Specifications

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, it's a 4th gen. That explains it then. Thank you.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Kheldarn posted:

Ah, it's a 4th gen. That explains it then. Thank you.

You're welcome. I discovered this because I was helping a friend with their 4S.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

I wish to retain control of my ipod when I connect it to a receiver. I don't like the receiver's terribly abbreviated lists and wonky controls.

Is that option in the ipod or at the receiver?

It depends on the receiver/accessory whether it 'takes over' the ipod or not, so it'll vary greatly by device. Eg, we've got a car stereo with a usb port, and there's an option buried in the settings for active vs passive ipod modes. The other car's ipod adapter always takes it over (though it can be quasi-bypassed if you're running Podcasts instead of Music when you plug it in).

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
So, I got a 4th gen Touch to take advantage of the FreedomPop sleeve, and I was wondering what the current consensus is on must-have apps for this thing. I've already been told to grab PunchQuest, and I grabbed the Chrome browser and Gmail app so I can stay connected with that, but beyond those I have no idea what I need on this.

This is my first ever Apple product, so I'm in a 'I don't know what I don't know' situation, so any help is appreciated.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

WoG posted:

It depends on the receiver/accessory whether it 'takes over' the ipod or not, so it'll vary greatly by device. Eg, we've got a car stereo with a usb port, and there's an option buried in the settings for active vs passive ipod modes. The other car's ipod adapter always takes it over (though it can be quasi-bypassed if you're running Podcasts instead of Music when you plug it in).

Thanks, so I have to dig through this Onkyo's documentation, rather than control it from the ipod.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Hey, this is my first time posting in this thread/forum but I'm at the end of my tether. I'm on my third iPod Classic 160GB in as many years - each one has broken so far:
1 - Failed to sync correctly, would end up with only a fraction of the songs on it (with Sync All enambled)
2 - Hardware failure: the buttons stopped responding one by one over time.

And now my third and current one has stopped being recognised by iTunes, or else crashes the program. I ran a diagnostic on it and according to the numbers, the HDD is hosed.

My questions are twofold:
1 - Is it possible (or worth it in the longterm) to get it fixed, or will I have to buy a new one?
2 - If I have to buy a new one, should I go for the same Classic 160GB, or is there something else with the same capacity on the market? I'm not married to Apple, but as far as I can tell it's the only mp3 player thingy with that size memory and compatibility.

Thanks in advance!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

You could take the iPod to an Apple store and ask a Genius what your options are. They might be able to fix it, but I have no idea what that would cost, even if they can.

I'm not aware of any high capacity MP3 players on the market, but one option would be to buy a Sansa Clip+ which has a micro SD slot, and you can buy 32GB micro SD cards for not too much. Of course, then you have to juggle easily lost little data chips, so you have to weigh the pros and cons.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Edminster posted:

So, I got a 4th gen Touch to take advantage of the FreedomPop sleeve, and I was wondering what the current consensus is on must-have apps for this thing. I've already been told to grab PunchQuest, and I grabbed the Chrome browser and Gmail app so I can stay connected with that, but beyond those I have no idea what I need on this.

This is my first ever Apple product, so I'm in a 'I don't know what I don't know' situation, so any help is appreciated.

If you like...

Fighters: Street Figher IV Volt, or SF vs Tekken
FPS: Modern Combat 3
Arcade Racers: NFS Most wanted
Sim Racers: Real Racing 2
Texas Holdem: Zynga Live Poker
Solitaire: Fairway Solitaire
Point n Click: Monkey Island 2, or Back to the Future
RPG: Battleheart
Sci Fi: Galaxy on Fire 2
Action: Infinity Blade II
Sandbox: GTAIII or GTA Chinatown Wars

And if you have any interest in making music, Garage Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Edminster posted:

I've not played it but you should probably check out Curiosity, with it kind of being in the zeitgeist at the moment and looks like it will only go on for a few days before it's all done.

• Locked thread