Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is there a term (other than brain fart or similar) for when you can't think of something (like a movie star's name) and then some time later the name just pops into your head out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well, the tip of the tongue phenomenon fits the first part. The sudden/unprompted recall is due to incubation. I can't think of a word that puts the two together, but it reminds me of l'espirit de l'escalier.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.

b0nes posted:

Theoretical question about unemployment insurance. Say a person is on unemployment and they get a job. They work there for one year then they get layed off or terminated. Can they get unemployment again? How abot if the employer didn't pay into unemployment insurance?

In New York State I know you have to be working for 6 months before you're eligible to receive unemployment insurance, and the amount of time employed has an effect on how long you can receive benefits for. And I'm not totally sure here, but I think every employer has to pay unemployment insurance, unless you're getting paid off the books, then you're boned.

e: Oh yeah I came here for a reason, can anyone give me a translation of this and what it is exactly? (A German Proverb?) Google Translate gets me the gist of it but I'd like to know from someone who speaks the language.

eager beaver fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 23, 2012

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

FCKGW posted:

Since it's an un-encrypted DVD, you can use any dvd copying software.

Is this a one-shot deal, just to make a bunch of copies? Nero has a 15 day trial she can use to copy DVDs.

yeah i figure a trial is the best way to go. I was hoping it would be something she could use forever, so I won't have to do this again in the future. thanks.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Basic chemistry question: why are some ionic compounds written in stock nomenclature and others aren't? For example, SnO is written as 'tin(II) oxide' by the IUPAC. SnO2 should be 'tin(IV) oxide' in that naming scheme, but the IUPAC calls it 'tin dioxide.' I've seen other examples of this but I can't recall them right now, and this has been at the back of my mind for a long time.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

b0nes posted:

Theoretical question about unemployment insurance. Say a person is on unemployment and they get a job. They work there for one year then they get layed off or terminated. Can they get unemployment again? How abot if the employer didn't pay into unemployment insurance?

The laws vary quite a bit from state to state. My IANAL knowledge is that as long as you are regular employee (not 1099/contract) then it is on them to handle your unemployment insurance and if they don't they are liable.

As for the amount of time/benefit: In most places I have seen it is a calculated benefit based of the amount of time worked and dollar amount you make by quarter. An crude example would be if I worked for 5 years at 200k I would be eligible for the maximum amount of money for the maximum amount of time (say 36 weeks). If I stop at 10 weeks, work for 6 months and then become unemployed (qualified unemployed like a layoff) then I might have 26 weeks left at a reduced amount because of the 10 weeks of zero income and reduced total benefit amount.

Most places have an online calculator to see how the numbers change.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I drop out of school before the second half of my Financial Aid comes, is there a way to still get the leftover Credits? (Los Angeles, California)

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a name for the Mario & Wario style of puzzle game?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Meat Recital posted:

Is there a name for the Mario & Wario style of puzzle game?

It looks like a puzzle-platformer, like Lemmings?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

TheGame posted:

Basic chemistry question: why are some ionic compounds written in stock nomenclature and others aren't? For example, SnO is written as 'tin(II) oxide' by the IUPAC. SnO2 should be 'tin(IV) oxide' in that naming scheme, but the IUPAC calls it 'tin dioxide.' I've seen other examples of this but I can't recall them right now, and this has been at the back of my mind for a long time.

Compounds are typically named based on whether they are ionic or covalent. This is usually determined by the difference in the electronegativity of the elements involved. In the case of tin and oxygen, the difference is roughly in the middle of the continuum between the two. In this case, it seems to just be choosing between the different naming schemes for ionic and covalent.

There are multiple ways to clearly name these compounds. One could say tin(II) oxide, stannous oxide, or tin monoxide, and all would communicate clearly that you meant SnO.the important thing is understanding what chemical is being talked about, and all three ways of naming communicate the same chemical.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, I just don't understand why the IUPAC (I've always been forced to use their naming scheme) names don't line up. SnO and SnO2 are both ionic compounds, right? It seems to be fairly consistent in naming other ionic compounds (e.g. PbO2 is lead(IV) oxide rather than lead dioxide). I know that you can assign them other names and that either is still technically correct, but in a semantic sense it always bugged me that there were exceptions to the accepted naming framework that I don't understand (like tin dioxide being accepted above tin(IV) oxide).

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010

speed hump posted:

e: Oh yeah I came here for a reason, can anyone give me a translation of this and what it is exactly? (A German Proverb?) Google Translate gets me the gist of it but I'd like to know from someone who speaks the language.

Well, I googled 'Hab Sonne im Herzen' which led to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A4sar_Flaischlen

which led to this translation:
http://colecizj.easyvserver.com/pgflahab.htm

but I'm not sure if you wanted more cultural information or something

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why is telephone audio quality so lovely? Surely in this day and age we can manage some nicer quality audio.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Baron Bifford posted:

Why is telephone audio quality so lovely? Surely in this day and age we can manage some nicer quality audio.

Are we talking home phone or cell phone? This isn't an answer to your question but I wonder why cell phones have abhorrent sound quality as well. Granted with the dawn of texting my usual phone call is about a minute long and I use about 60-80 minutes a month.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.

Cupid Painted Blind posted:

Well, I googled 'Hab Sonne im Herzen' which led to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A4sar_Flaischlen

which led to this translation:
http://colecizj.easyvserver.com/pgflahab.htm

but I'm not sure if you wanted more cultural information or something

Yeah that's pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. I should have just searched for the first line but I searched for the whole thing and nothing came up :downs:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

Calls are always done at the highest common quality supported by
1) your phone
2) your current connection
3) the telephone network
4) the other guy's connection
5) the other guy's phone

This usually winds up meaning that at some point in the call connecting, it has to fit through a 32 kilobit per second or 64 kilobit per second voice channel, using compression technology from the early 70s and designed to ensure only that speech sounds under 4000 hertz come through clearly.

No one has paid to upgrade this portion of the phone network so consequently you can expect it be like this for a while.

Now on top of that, many landline phones are built with speakers and microphones that aren't too good because they are designed around accurately reproducing sounds within the old limitations. And if you're calling between cell phones, when a cell phone starts getting a bad signal it will switch its audio format to a lower bitrate and lower quality one in order to stay connected.

Here's the standard used across most of the planet for landline voice service: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Install Gentoo posted:

Calls are always done at the highest common quality supported by
1) your phone
2) your current connection
3) the telephone network
4) the other guy's connection
5) the other guy's phone

This usually winds up meaning that at some point in the call connecting, it has to fit through a 32 kilobit per second or 64 kilobit per second voice channel, using compression technology from the early 70s and designed to ensure only that speech sounds under 4000 hertz come through clearly.

No one has paid to upgrade this portion of the phone network so consequently you can expect it be like this for a while.

Now on top of that, many landline phones are built with speakers and microphones that aren't too good because they are designed around accurately reproducing sounds within the old limitations. And if you're calling between cell phones, when a cell phone starts getting a bad signal it will switch its audio format to a lower bitrate and lower quality one in order to stay connected.

Here's the standard used across most of the planet for landline voice service: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711

This is an excellent answer, and I will only add that the best sounding handsets seem to be older wired ones. Any time you have wireless, or god forbid speakerphones, the whole clarity thing goes straight to hell.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kensei posted:

This is an excellent answer, and I will only add that the best sounding handsets seem to be older wired ones. Any time you have wireless, or god forbid speakerphones, the whole clarity thing goes straight to hell.

I'd just like to add to this addition that you can get higher quality call audio on VOIP:

https://www.orange.co.uk/hdvoice (video demo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wideband_audio

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I have a high efficiency washing machine and I'd like to wash my shower liner (it's getting a little moldy on the bottom). However, I have a septic tank, and don't use bleach as it's not so great for the septic.

Can I put distilled white vinegar in the bleach compartment of my HE washer and use that as an all-natural bleach replacement to kill the mold?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
The song goes:

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T, take out the TCP"

Taking out TCP leaves RESE. What the hell does that mean?

Edit: VVV I learned something today. Thank you!

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 23, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
TCB was Take Care of Business. The Straight Dope has an entry on it! http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1806/what-exactly-is-aretha-singing-in-respect

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Nissan has been running a commercial for a few months now that mentions "Zero Gravity Seats".

I know this primarily is marketing bullshit, but what do they really mean? Is it only marketing bullshit, like a brand or style name or trademark? Or is it some generic term like "bucket seats"? And if it is generic, what makes them "Zero Gravity"?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bufVK51ok

The Nissan rep explains it better than I could.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BoyBlunder posted:

I have a high efficiency washing machine and I'd like to wash my shower liner (it's getting a little moldy on the bottom). However, I have a septic tank, and don't use bleach as it's not so great for the septic.

Can I put distilled white vinegar in the bleach compartment of my HE washer and use that as an all-natural bleach replacement to kill the mold?

You know a new shower liner is like $2, right?

I mean...I get trying to be good and not needlessly throwing things away, but I tried to wash a shower liner once, and even on a more delicate setting, the plastic got shredded and I had to buy a new one anyway.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Are there any HVAC goons out there who are familiar with software for service invoicing? We're currently using WINTAC but the customer service isn't the greatest. I would love to learn how to use it better or switch to a software that is more user friendly. One of the things I dislike the most about WINTAC is that it won't email directly from the program, it opens outlook to do it. Another problem is we do homes with multiple systems and WINTAC doesn't seem to have a way to group up air handlers and condensers like we want. (Our average customer has four systems and the highest being one house with fifteen.)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know a new shower liner is like $2, right?

I mean...I get trying to be good and not needlessly throwing things away, but I tried to wash a shower liner once, and even on a more delicate setting, the plastic got shredded and I had to buy a new one anyway.

They sell non-lovely shower liners that are machine-washable, soft, waterproof fabric as opposed to lovely sheets of bachelor pad plastic. Good ones cost about $20.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Noni posted:

They sell non-lovely shower liners that are machine-washable, soft, waterproof fabric as opposed to lovely sheets of bachelor pad plastic. Good ones cost about $20.

Yeah, I have one like this. I've never had a problem putting it in the washer on cold/delicate.

I believe vinegar is ok to use to clean it. Don't quote me or anything, but it definitely won't hurt anything. It's a really good cleaner, can clean a lot of things that you wouldn't have thought it could.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

when worlds collide posted:

Yeah, I have one like this. I've never had a problem putting it in the washer on cold/delicate.

I believe vinegar is ok to use to clean it. Don't quote me or anything, but it definitely won't hurt anything. It's a really good cleaner, can clean a lot of things that you wouldn't have thought it could.

Yeah, since I've got a septic tank, my wife and I have been very careful about everything that goes down the drain. It's great to see how much vinegar & baking soda are able to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anything I can do to help alleviate my pencil/pen deathgrip problem? It's gotten so bad now that writing anything over a paragraph in one shot results in pain because I catch myself squeezing the life out of my writing stick. I'm a lefty if any of this matters.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 24, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Avocados posted:

Anything I can do to help alleviate my pencil/pen deathgrip problem? It's gotten so bad now that writing anything over a paragraph in one shot results in pain because I catch myself squeezing the life out of my writing stick.

Calm down?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

The song goes:

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T, take out the TCP"

Taking out TCP leaves RESE. What the hell does that mean?

Edit: VVV I learned something today. Thank you!

Why would you not google the actual lyrics before posting this?!

It's "take care, TCB". And as the previous poster said, "TCB" is "taking care of business", so she says the same thing twice, essentially.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Avocados posted:

Anything I can do to help alleviate my pencil/pen deathgrip problem? It's gotten so bad now that writing anything over a paragraph in one shot results in pain because I catch myself squeezing the life out of my writing stick. I'm a lefty if any of this matters.
You can (or you used to be able to) get chunky rubber grip things with a hole in them to fit a pencil or pen through. They're actually so that little kids can get a better grip on thin pens or pencils but they might help in your case - at the worst at least you've got something to grip that won't hurt as much.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Avocados posted:

Uh, don't hold your pen quite so firmly? I'm not quite sure I understand your dilemma, here. Do you have some fine-motor control skills issue where it is difficult for you to control how hard you're gripping things?

Maybe try something like a Gyro Ball?, to improve your wrist/hand strength? I got one to kind of play with while watching TV, and the first day after I used it, all of my fingertips were bruised and incredibly sore. After maybe a week, though, I was used to it, my hands/wrists toughened up a bit. Plus the thing is like mad sorcery to play with. Inertia can do some funky things.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Avocados posted:

It sounds like you might have the same problem I do, and someone told me it's because I write by moving my wrist and fingers. You're supposed to basically relax your fingers and wrist (still hold onto the pen, but not too tightly) and write by moving your whole arm from the shoulder.

I hardly ever write anything with a pen, so I haven't had much opportunity to practice this, but it does seem to help.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have the same problem; I grind a scratch into my finger with my fingernail, and writing a letter is an exercise in poor handwriting and pain. Are there remedial courses to teach a perfectly literate adult how to use a pen?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the help guys. I also realized i've been holding pencils in a really bad way and I was never corrected on it growing up. And judging by how many websites for kindergarten teachers I was linked to, it seems like I've missed the boat long ago. Using all 5 fingers to direct a pencil is an exercise in pain. I wish I could find a picture of it. I did however find the picture of the correct way, called the triangular pencil grasp.

This video here made it "click" for me, because when it comes to certain things like this I need as much visual feedback as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbHiGQjB6C4
I feel like this is obvious to 99% of people reading this but it's a revelation for me. It makes it hard to apply the death grip and I was able to write up to par again after about 15 minutes in the new position. I haven't caught myself switching back to my old style because this feels so much nicer, and I dunno, right. :shobon:

buglord fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 24, 2012

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I have the same problem with death gripping writing utensils. I have joint hypermobility, so gripping things with my fingertips requires more tension to make up for a longer range of motion. When I was in school, we were taught to grip the pencil as tight as possible. It was reinforced by teachers wandering the room and occasionally trying to pull your pencil out of your hand. Breaking the habit is a matter of learning new muscle memory for the most part. A comfortable writing utensil is also important, I find like Pilot G2 pens because they don't need a lot of pressure to write, and the grip is a decent size. Another pen I've found that can help is the PenAgain:

Looks weird but it's pretty drat ergonomic

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there a good site that has side by side comparisons of policy stances for political candidates, especially for the less talked races for things like house seats or governorships.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a good site that has side by side comparisons of policy stances for political candidates, especially for the less talked races for things like house seats or governorships.

If you have an independent weekly local newspaper, they might have something. Or check your college newspaper, maybe? What area are you in, that will help you get a better response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Anyone know the name of this game? I've been playing it for years but I have no idea what it's called.

Edit: Apparently it's known as Join Five or Morpion Solitaire. I now also see what the record number of moves is and realize how terrible I am at this game!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2012