Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bowmore posted:

I've put all my music into Itunes and fixed up all the tags, album art etc in Itunes, is there any way to get it to fix the original files?

Unless they're write-protected, editing the tags in iTunes will change the tags on the files themselves as well.

An exception is album art, which can be added in two ways: One is the "get album art" option in iTunes which finds covers in the store and saves them locally to its own database, the other is getting info on the tracks in an album and adding it that way. The latter will change the files, the former will not.

Try opening a file in some other app and see if the changes are carrying over.

Also, playing or getting info on a song will cause iTunes to re-read the tags from the file, so if the file for some reason has other tags than your library thinks, it will update the library to reflect the tags from the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, running into a bit of an issue with my wifes laptop and her iTunes. We recently wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 and I transferred over her library like I am used to doing on my machine. Things went well. She backs up to iCloud, so doesn't get back to her laptop much to sync. She tried to load a CD she ripped into a playlist to load and when she goes to Music under her iPhone, the Sync Music box is unchecked (all of them are on all of the tabs, which shouldn't be) but the radio button for Sync selected playlists is marked. When I check the box to Sync Music (and thus enable the playlist syncing) we get the very hostile error of wiping everything and replacing with everything from the iTunes library.

This all worked just fine before the reinstall and am unsure of where to go from here. I do not have manually manage music checked. How can I get these two to talk to eachother, despite apparently having an initial willingness to? They sync up, transfer purchases, but won't work with any new instructions!

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

edit: quick update, I backed it up on a whim, now when I click sync it tells me that it hasn't synced with this computer before (I JUST DID 30 MINUTES AGO!) and it needs to wipe and load from the library. Is there not a less destructive way?

edit2: and now it synced on another push of the button, i'm so confused right now.

Now that the thread has had more velocity I am bumping this in hopes that someone has some insight for me. I realize that this might be an annoying repetitive question but google is not turning up anything useful!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carthag posted:

Unless they're write-protected, editing the tags in iTunes will change the tags on the files themselves as well.

An exception is album art, which can be added in two ways: One is the "get album art" option in iTunes which finds covers in the store and saves them locally to its own database, the other is getting info on the tracks in an album and adding it that way. The latter will change the files, the former will not.

Try opening a file in some other app and see if the changes are carrying over.

Also, playing or getting info on a song will cause iTunes to re-read the tags from the file, so if the file for some reason has other tags than your library thinks, it will update the library to reflect the tags from the file.
Oh cool, I didn't know that. Cheers!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

bowmore posted:

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Cheers!

There is also this script http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart that embeds the iTunes store album into the file itself.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

There is also this script http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart that embeds the iTunes store album into the file itself.
That's awesome, thanks!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Match doesn't remove music from your iTunes library (files or metadata). You have to explicitly do it. Contact Apple Support for help.
So, admittedly I took way too long to actually do this.

I've been on the phone with Apple support for about an hour, getting passed between different people, who all said "oh no, that's handled by <x>". Finally given to a Tier II, and her reply was basically "lol no it didn't".

Yay.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
When does the new iTunes come out?

I want it.

I need it.

:(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

When does the new iTunes come out?

I want it.

I need it.

:(

Late October.

Have they ever released betas of iTunes?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Late October.

Have they ever released betas of iTunes?
Plenty of times.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

Plenty of times.

Nice!

Then again it's only 2 weeks til the end of October so yeah, whatever.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm thinking/hoping they'll release it the day of the iPad Mini event.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm thinking/hoping they'll release it the day of the iPad Mini event.
That seems to be the general consensus around. Seems like the Mini is going to be an "Available Today" device, so the new iTunes on that day would make sense as well.

So that's what? A little over a week now?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's new in the new iTunes? Will it download like an update?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

What's new in the new iTunes? Will it download like an update?

It is pretty much the holy grail of iTunes updates: http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
There seems to be a discrepancy between my music folder and what's in my iTunes - i.e. some files aren't being picked up by iTunes.

Finder says my music folder is 104 GB, while iTunes says it's only 89GB. Is there any way to reconcile the two, short of manually looking at any folder?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Polymerized Cum posted:

There seems to be a discrepancy between my music folder and what's in my iTunes - i.e. some files aren't being picked up by iTunes.

Finder says my music folder is 104 GB, while iTunes says it's only 89GB. Is there any way to reconcile the two, short of manually looking at any folder?

There is metadata and playlist information that takes up space outside of the actual music.

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

Polymerized Cum posted:

Consolidate your iTunes folder to another location, that should leave behind anything that isn't in the iTunes database.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

benisntfunny posted:

There is metadata and playlist information that takes up space outside of the actual music.
Unless he's embedding a full episode of Archer into the ID3 of every song there is no way that's going to take up 15 GB.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Regarding the new iTunes and the new iCloud features that come along with it..

Does this mean I can finally sync my Podcasts with the official Apple Podcasts app on my iPhone now?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I figure we won't know until the new iTunes is out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Polymerized Cum posted:

Make a playlist and dump your iTunes folder in it. Then sort by date added.

Then check out if its stuff to keep or what.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I need the new iTunes right loving now. The cool new thing iTunes is doing now is having 2 processes eat up all my CPU usage nonstop for no particular reason if I leave the application ope / idle. A quick google points the processes to be related to wifi syncing which I will not disable but come the gently caress on how does this get released to the public.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So hey guys new iTunes comes out tomorrow. :ohdear:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So hey guys new iTunes comes out tomorrow. :ohdear:

I have mixed feelings of excitement and worry that it'll mess up my library/way of listening to music.

How I ever lost my virginity is beyond me.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm spending the entire evening meticulously cataloging my entire library to ensure that it has proper tags and album art in anticipation.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Many years ago I had a great little program for my PC that would find lyrics for the songs in my library and automatically add them to iTunes. When I got a mac I had a dashboard app that would find lyrics, but eventually that stopped working. Are there any working apps or widgets or whatever that can automatically find lyrics based on what's playing in iTunes, and if possible fill in the lyrics tab for the song?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm spending the entire evening meticulously cataloging my entire library to ensure that it has proper tags and album art in anticipation.

Glad I'm not the only one. I wish the library on iPad would move more towards the iTunes one, not the other way around.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I haven't kept up, what is new in this version that have you guys all worked up? This a revolutionary change?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

TraderStav posted:

I haven't kept up, what is new in this version that have you guys all worked up? This a revolutionary change?
Relevant information may or may not be posted on this very page.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

Many years ago I had a great little program for my PC that would find lyrics for the songs in my library and automatically add them to iTunes. When I got a mac I had a dashboard app that would find lyrics, but eventually that stopped working. Are there any working apps or widgets or whatever that can automatically find lyrics based on what's playing in iTunes, and if possible fill in the lyrics tab for the song?

I've been using Get Lyrical for a few years now. It also hasn't been updated in a few, but it still works, even if it's kindof ugly. I wish there was something better (there could be, I haven't looked), but the RIAA keeps shutting these programs down.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

We know it's a major UI overhaul. What we don't really know, but are really hoping for, is if this is a major overhaul under the hood.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have a semi-OS-X/semi-iTunes related question.

For years I've had my screensaver set as the iTunes artwork. I like it that way. Every once in a while it's hiccuped and told me "you don't have any art" and then gone back to normal. But it started that again last week, and hasn't come back.

I've tried removing all the album art via iTunes and re-downloading it; I've tried even just straight-up deleting the folder out of the Music -> iTunes directory, re-downloading, and it still isn't registering.

Any tips on how to get that working again? It's like the smallest thing ever to be worried about but I still want it working right again.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Relevant information may or may not be posted on this very page.

I've been to that site to check it out. From what I parsed there's a neat new UI and iCloud capability. Didn't feel very earth-shattering, so I'm certain I'm missing something as the excitement level is quite high.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
^ I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion you're missing something. iTunes has just been relatively the same for years. People are excited for something new (and I think more the idea of an under the hood overhaul for better stability)

Diabolik900 posted:

We know it's a major UI overhaul. What we don't really know, but are really hoping for, is if this is a major overhaul under the hood.

I'm hoping for an iTunes Match overhaul in there at least, and with their focus on iCloud in the marketing for the new version I think there's a good chance.

I'm sick of manually removing and readding iTunes Match in iTunes to "unstick" it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Apple's holding a special event to debut the iPad Mini, a new iTunes, and some other cool stuff. Click the image or right here to head over to the event thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Aw man, I get too invested in these Apple keynotes. Was getting really excited for iTunes 11. :(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Where's the new iTunes Tim?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It still says it's coming in October, so there's some hope that it won't be much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
October release with no mention at today's event probably means that there aren't any real improvements to expect. All the irritating things that we hate will still be there in the next version.