Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ThermoPhysical posted:

EPRP is pretty cheap for me too.

When I did some shopping around, Verizon and AT&T were pretty drat expensive. I think the reason Sprint thrives so much in Omaha is because it's the cheapest of the contract carriers.

Yeah, EPRP is a really good deal if you get decent service. I have a 3-line EPRP with 1600 minutes. A 3 line Family plan on Verizon with 4GB shared data is another $45/month. I think I'll be sticking with Sprint and just hope the SoftBank deal works out as well as I think it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I have SERO and I'm still considering leaving Sprint because my service in chicago sucks so bad. Also I want one of the snazzy new Windows 8 phones.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

Just Vanilla right at the moment, supposedly bluetooth is wonky with it but I don't have any bluetooth devices I use with my phone so that doesn't bother me at all. Apparently Anthrax has everything working except 4G. I haven't made the jump to Anthrax because I actually live in an area with really good 4G access and 4G works great with Vanilla.

I've been running Anthrax for a while now, and the 4G works perfectly on it. A few months ago it was buggy and would reboot the device every time it was turned on/off, but since then it turns on and off without a problem. It even seems to activate faster than a stock device, but I never timed it for the placebo effect. As far as I know, everything works on it VS stock.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

helsabot posted:

I have SERO and I'm still considering leaving Sprint because my service in chicago sucks so bad. Also I want one of the snazzy new Windows 8 phones.

I thought I was just reading about someone living in Chicago really happy with how things are turning out. At first they were terrible, but they were getting the kinks worked out.

Maybe I'm imagining things.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

uapyro posted:

I've been running Anthrax for a while now, and the 4G works perfectly on it. A few months ago it was buggy and would reboot the device every time it was turned on/off, but since then it turns on and off without a problem. It even seems to activate faster than a stock device, but I never timed it for the placebo effect. As far as I know, everything works on it VS stock.

Oh good, even better. Maybe now that the Antrax devs and agrabren have made a truce we'll get even more progress on CM10. This almost makes up for all this time running lovely stock based roms with who knows what kind of tweaks added.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Maybe now that the Antrax devs and agrabren have made a truce we'll get even more progress on CM10.
Folks who cause drama usually make for not very good official CM maintainers. I'd be surprised if the Evo 3D ever gets official. Sorry guys. :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks who cause drama usually make for not very good official CM maintainers. I'd be surprised if the Evo 3D ever gets official. Sorry guys. :(

Oh well, it'll be enough to hold me over until my next upgrade in June when I'll get whatever the new Nexus phone is then.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

helsabot posted:

I think anyone in Chicago should hold out for awhile longer. Considering Chicago is the most actively developed network market, if they fail here, I can't imagine what it will mean for the rest of the country.

My service in the suburbs is substantially better than it was 6 weeks ago. For example, six weeks ago I couldn't even hold a call, now my biggest problem is why my Evo LTE is stuck on 3G half the time when it should be on LTE. If S4GRU and Sensorly are accurate, then either the EVO LTE just has an aversion to 4G, or the 4G network itself is just going to be a luxury that you have when you're within 1/4 mile of a tower.

change my name posted:

I have a full 4g signal in the middle of the bronx of all places, so I think it might be your phone.

Do you have an EVO LTE?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 22, 2012

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I think anyone in Chicago should hold out for awhile longer. Considering Chicago is the most actively developed network market, if they fail here, I can't imagine what it will mean for the rest of the country.

My service in the suburbs is substantially better than it was 6 weeks ago. For example, six weeks ago I couldn't even hold a call, now my biggest problem is why my Evo LTE is stuck on 3G half the time when it should be on LTE. If S4GRU and Sensorly are accurate, then either the EVO LTE just has an aversion to 4G, or the 4G network itself is just going to be a luxury that you have when you're within 1/4 mile of a tower.

I have a full 4g signal in the middle of the bronx of all places, so I think it might be your phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I played with a Galaxy S3 at some giant Samsung kiosk in the mall today. I kind of dig it... my wife also fell in love with it. We decided, for the hell of it, to go to Sprint and ask what the buyback on our phones was.

Evo 3D - $53
Galaxy Nexus - $45

:wtc:

That's about what I was expecting for the Evo 3D, but I was pretty surprised that the Galaxy Nexus gets less.

I need to stop looking at new phones. I'm not even close to out of contract, and even when I am, I'm going to get hosed over by the discount verification thing they're doing now. :(

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'm already out of the discount loop myself so I should just subscribe to AAA to get that discount. Something is better than nothing and hey, AAA in case I ever need it.

I still have till April until my contract is up anyways to even try to see improvements to the network. The closest thing I'm getting is the beginning of LTE in Ocean Pines, MD in one of those S4GRU or whatever updates. Which doesn't help me because I don't live in Ocean Pines.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is there any indication the HTC 5" phone is coming to Sprint or is that looking to be Verizon only?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

brc64 posted:

I played with a Galaxy S3 at some giant Samsung kiosk in the mall today. I kind of dig it... my wife also fell in love with it. We decided, for the hell of it, to go to Sprint and ask what the buyback on our phones was.

Evo 3D - $53
Galaxy Nexus - $45

That's about what I was expecting for the Evo 3D, but I was pretty surprised that the Galaxy Nexus gets less.

I need to stop looking at new phones. I'm not even close to out of contract, and even when I am, I'm going to get hosed over by the discount verification thing they're doing now. :(

The depressing thing about those prices is that I got $48 buyback for my Evo 4G with a broken LCD screen. (I'm still not sure how it broke -- the glass was in one piece, the back was intact, but the LCD had huge black gaps spidering across it.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Evo 3D - $53
Galaxy Nexus - $45

Photoshop is your friend.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, thoughts or ideas on my situation:

I have an upgrade coming up in like a week or so, and I'm ready to drop my HTC Evo into an industrial Shredder, because it is the worst and I hate it. I'd like to get the Samsung S Galaxy III, and do so for the lest amount of money.

1. Should I get the Samsung, or that new LG coming out (bear in mind, due to this Evo's constant making GBS threads of itself, i'm not waiting much longer to see what else will come out soon. And I don't think I want an iPhone.)

2. Should I spring for the extra memory, and buy the 32 gb model?

3. are there any places besides sprint that would sell me the phone for cheaper, with my contract renewal?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

The Bananana posted:

Ok, thoughts or ideas on my situation:

I have an upgrade coming up in like a week or so, and I'm ready to drop my HTC Evo into an industrial Shredder, because it is the worst and I hate it. I'd like to get the Samsung S Galaxy III, and do so for the lest amount of money.

1. Should I get the Samsung, or that new LG coming out (bear in mind, due to this Evo's constant making GBS threads of itself, i'm not waiting much longer to see what else will come out soon. And I don't think I want an iPhone.)

3. are there any places besides sprint that would sell me the phone for cheaper, with my contract renewal?

Just repeating what others have said:

Buy the iPhone 5. Try it out. If you don't want to keep it, sell it and use the funds to purchase the phone you want.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
If I have TEP it shouldn't cost me anything to get the external speaker fixed on my EVO, right? It keeps going out unless I put pressure on it.

bobula fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 22, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Bananana posted:

1. Should I get the Samsung, or that new LG coming out
The LG is a bit better on paper, it's roughly half a generation ahead spec-wise. It also has a really good IPS LCD screen. That said, the SGS3 is no slouch and it has the best AMOLED screen on the market, if you prefer AMOLED.

My immediate concern with the LG is that reviews of battery life have been inconsistent. On paper it should have battery life equal to the SGS3 and, some folks are finding it to be equal or better. However other reviews complain that the battery life is really, really bad. Chances are there's some bug that causes battery drain with certain workloads, and given how new the APQ8064 platform is, that could well be the case and could go away once fixed. Then again, the SGS3 is built in a stable platform that's been out for long enough that we're quite familiar with it.

Personally my only dislike with the SGS3 is that it doesn't have a JB update yet. Then again, neither does the Optimus G. So there's a race there.

The Bananana posted:

It depends what you're going to use the storage for.

The "16 GB" SGS3 actually comes with 12 GB available that can be shared for third-party apps and media. I don't know how much the 32 GB model has, but it's probably about 28 GB available.

If you just need storage space for your music collection, you might be better off picking up the 16 GB model and spending the difference on a 64 GB SDXC card that you can load your music collection onto. Pretty much that should "just work".

In general you can use the external SD slot for any media, but not for apps. Media that you preload onto the SD card, again, should "just work". Any media you download on the device will default to internal storage, but you can move it over to the external card with a file manager if that's not too much trouble for you.

Apps are another story, they can only be installed in internal storage. 12 GB is plenty these days for everything except games. In particular, higher end games can range from 1-3 GB in size, so if you're into gaming, you couldn't have more than a couple high-end games installed at once on the 16 GB model.

The Bananana posted:

If you're a regular Sprint customer (not SERO/EPRP/AdvantageClub) try AmazonWireless, Wirefly, or even Best Buy.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 22, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Well, it looks like Sprint officially launched LTE in Chicago today. Their own maps show LTE coverage in almost the entire Chicagoland area. However, my experience has been that coverage is sporadic, intermittent, slow (many of my LTE speedtests are in the 1.5-4mbps range). There are still areas where 3G is useless, and I still can't stream pandora on my way to work.

A launch in name only I guess. If this is as good as it gets, my contract will be one and done with Sprint.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Bananana posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S III has gotten pretty good reviews from everyone.

No one knows anything about the LG Nexus other than it will be a Nexus phone. Sprint probably won't get it till some time next Spring if their previous track record with Nexus phones is any indication.

The Bananana posted:

You should if you need that much space. You should not if you don't.

Personally, I love having 32GB of storage on my Galaxy Nexus. Pretty much means I never have to think about storage when it comes to apps and my meager music collection.

The Bananana posted:

If you have a Sam's Club membership, check them out. They often has phones a little cheaper ($50 off, free activation, etc). I think Costco does this too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S III has gotten pretty good reviews from everyone.

No one knows anything about the LG Nexus other than it will be a Nexus phone. Sprint probably won't get it till some time next Spring if their previous track record with Nexus phones is any indication.

I think he meant the LG Optimus G which Sprint will be getting in a few days/weeks, I think.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wow, thanks for the great information, Guys. I was indeed referring to the LG optimus G.

Looking at the specs of my evo, I think it has something like 8 GB available for music and what not on a removable card, so then even the smaller, 16 GB model would be a big improvement, right? Does that number have any effect on the phones performance? like if I were to fill it up to say, 80 or 90% of the 16 GB, would the phone start to slow down?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Wow, thanks for the great information, Guys. I was indeed referring to the LG optimus G.

Looking at the specs of my evo, I think it has something like 8 GB available for music and what not on a removable card, so then even the smaller, 16 GB model would be a big improvement, right? Does that number have any effect on the phones performance? like if I were to fill it up to say, 80 or 90% of the 16 GB, would the phone start to slow down?

Don't the LG Optimus G, the reviews are saying bad battery life amd LG is not a company to trust to "fix it down the road." The S3 is proven and you know what you are getting. Plus the S3 is a home run as far as battery life is concerned.

The phone won't start to slow down based on space. Personally, it's only $50 more for the S3 32GB, so I would recommend it. $50 extra spending over the course of a 2 year contract isn't a big deal. You're looking for a long term investment over something you are going to use a lot, invest the extra money for personal comfort later. Plus you will be able to pop your 8GB SD card into either to add even more storage. I would def recommend the 32GB.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Well, it looks like Sprint officially launched LTE in Chicago today. Their own maps show LTE coverage in almost the entire Chicagoland area. However, my experience has been that coverage is sporadic, intermittent, slow (many of my LTE speedtests are in the 1.5-4mbps range). There are still areas where 3G is useless, and I still can't stream pandora on my way to work.

A launch in name only I guess. If this is as good as it gets, my contract will be one and done with Sprint.
Sprint's LTE coverage maps show projected future coverage when Network Vision upgrades are complete. Not current coverage.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Duckman2008 posted:

Don't the LG Optimus G, the reviews are saying bad battery life amd LG is not a company to trust to "fix it down the road."

What review is saying this?

Engadget posted:

Our standard battery rundown test involves setting the brightness and volume to half, using 4G in a 75 percent or better signal area, enabling GPS and WiFi (not connected) and disabling Bluetooth while looping a video from a full charge until the battery is drained. AT&T's Optimus G ran for eight hours and 43 minutes; Sprint's lasted seven hours and 53 minutes on 3G (LTE off); and our Korean phone kept going for eight hours and 40 minutes on 2G (LTE and HSPA+ disabled). In our moderate battery usage test, which consists of using a handset lightly from a full charge until it shuts down -- emailing, texting, checking social networks, making a few brief calls, taking some pictures, etc. -- all three review units went on for almost 20 hours. As such, we're pretty sure most people will have no problems using the Optimus G for an entire day. Heavy users can use "Eco Mode," a setting which extends battery life by dynamically switching between quad- and dual-core operation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphal posted:

What review is saying this?

Phone scoop.

Either way, my point on LG phones stands. Buy at your own risk.

Honesty, android phones in general I recommend waiting a month after launch before buying. Some, like the S3 and Note, turned out extremely well, but others sure as hell did not.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
450 sites this week... Looks like the pace is finally picking up. If they manage to keep up this rate then they'll be done in a year give or take. That would be fantastic.

Chicago (163), LA Metro (48), SF Bay (37), Baltimore (18), PR/VI (16), New York City (16), Kansas (14), Washington DC (13), Boston (12), Houston (12), Philadelphia Metro (11), Atlanta/Athens (10), VT/NH/ME (9), DFW (8), South Bay (7), Indianapolis (7), Upstate NY East (7), Southern Jersey (5), Providence (5), North LA (4), Delaware (4), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (4), Shentel (4), Orange County (3), Austin (3), Miami/West Palm (2), Memphis (2), Upstate NY Central (1), Nashville (1), Phoenix (1)

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Ender.uNF posted:

450 sites this week... Looks like the pace is finally picking up. If they manage to keep up this rate then they'll be done in a year give or take. That would be fantastic.

Chicago (163), LA Metro (48), SF Bay (37), Baltimore (18), PR/VI (16), New York City (16), Kansas (14), Washington DC (13), Boston (12), Houston (12), Philadelphia Metro (11), Atlanta/Athens (10), VT/NH/ME (9), DFW (8), South Bay (7), Indianapolis (7), Upstate NY East (7), Southern Jersey (5), Providence (5), North LA (4), Delaware (4), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (4), Shentel (4), Orange County (3), Austin (3), Miami/West Palm (2), Memphis (2), Upstate NY Central (1), Nashville (1), Phoenix (1)

Wow, according to the map on s4gru.com, seeing the projected center of NY being done is encouraging. I just hope they keep moving west and don't forget about the rest of us.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Where are you seeing the map at on that site. I'm looking for the single active site in Phoenix lol. What a joke.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

OptimusMatrix posted:

Where are you seeing the map at on that site. I'm looking for the single active site in Phoenix lol. What a joke.

Donators to that site get more frequently-updated information on site upgrades.

Re: Anthrax kernel! So I got an E3D yesterday and slapped the Anthrax kernel with Disarmed Toaster onto it. Everything seemed fine until it got stuck on the boot screen after getting everything set up. So I factory reset it, went through everything, kept having the same problem. I determined that the problem started once I set LauncherPro settings to my preferred state (hiding some apps in the app drawer). I traced the problem to be connected to the Anthrax kernel, somehow. I flashed it a couple of times and even tried an earlier version, but the problem with boot hang after adjusting LP settings didn't go away until I went to the Vanilla kernel.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does Miami have LTE now? Yes?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm going to guess that, just to spite us, they decided to call Eloy or Surprise or Anthem or Apache Junction, "Phoenix Market".

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to guess that, just to spite us, they decided to call Eloy or Surprise or Anthem or Apache Junction, "Phoenix Market".

Please say Surprise :argh:

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I'm a Sprint Customer and pay monthly for the insurance. I've had no problems replacing my busted phones. The thing is, I really like the phones with the slideout keyboards. The EVO Shift being my favorite. I replaced my original one, but when I replaced the second one, the Shift was on backorder and I was given the Samsung GalaxyS which I'm not real fond of. If I go into the store to replace it, will it be replaced with another GalaxyS or will they give me something comparable? Also do any of them have slideout keyboards?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I'm posting this here because I don't know if there is a better place to put it. my family and I were originally on a Sprint voice plan. In the last 8 months or so, when people would call me one of the three following things would happen:

1. I would be able to pick up the phone and take the call as normal,
2. The phone would only ring once before going silent, or
3. I would pick the phone up, but when I spoke whatever I said would be echoed back to me, and the person on the other line would hear nothing, and then either me other the other person would hang up.

This problem occurred no matter where I was (North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland were all places it happened), and even when I have full signal. I put this down to the fact that the (dumb) flip phone I was using was nearing 7 years old. About a month ago we upgraded to a data plan, and I got a smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S2). However the problem described above continued even with the new phone. After calling Sprint support and describing the problem, they had me troubleshoot the phone (where they got me to turn it off, they said they sent some signals, and then turned the phone back on again). They had me take the phone to a Sprint repair store, where the guy told me that the speakerphone and microphone were faulty, so I had the unit replaced. However the problem still persists, even with the new unit (still a Samsung Galaxy S2).

The people at Sprint phone help say it is not a network issue (since the problem occurs in different locations, and when I have great signal strength), and it must be an issue with the device. The people in the Sprint repair store say it must be a network issue, and not the device, since the same problems have persisted across 3 devices.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing the type of problem described above?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've noticed a weird issue recently. It may have been happening ever since I flashed MeanROM, but I only started noticing it the past few days.

It seems whenever I receive a text message, my cellular radio dies for about 5 seconds. I'm aware that the radio drops to 1x to send/receive SMS, but this happens after the message is received. I get the "No service" icon, and even confirmed by going into settings that Mobile Network was unavailable because there was no connection.

It recovers automatically, within a few seconds generally, but Wtf?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Ender.uNF posted:

Orange County (3)

Is that the Orange County in California? Because if it is, hot drat!

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've got full strength and incredibly fast LTE in wrigleyville and in the Edison park area. Around 15Mbit/s both up and down. Nothing downtown however.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ender.uNF posted:

Both of the past two posts like this have had several sites in the Houston market listed. Can someone post a screenshot of the Houston map? I'm off contract going month to month and if I can get an LTE phone with service, I'll probably upgrade. If not I'm probably going to be moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

You should be happy they are actually starting Phoenix. Some cities won't start until next summer/fall. I'm excited because one tower today means we might have half decent coverage by the end of the year.