Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

DevNull posted:

So is anyone using or thinking of using the 3D acceleration feature released with ESX5.1? I would be interested in hearing about people's experience with it so far.

That kind of functionality has been a big sticking point with desktop virtualization for our CAD/Revit folks. Right now Hyper-V is the only game in town for that kind of thing, but I'm curious to see what VMware can come up with since there shouldn't really be anything preventing them from carving up a beefy Quadro like you would any other physical resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Corvettefisher posted:

Testing it out soonish, probably installing ESXI to my desktop hopefully getting it working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3xaLUTZgU
that was running at vmworld. I have a bunch of people complain "youtube training videos are laggy

Here is more detail on that actually. My boss just sent me this: http://www.virtuallygeeky.com/2012/10/virtualized-3d-gaming-on-vmware-view.html

The demo at VMworld in SF didn't look to great, but the one in Barcelona looks a ton better.

Corvettefisher, keep me updated on how it goes. I am curious to hear about it actually being used in the field and not just demos.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The VGX is going to be supported some time, that link is using a quadro card to allow GPU acceleration to the VD's in that view environment. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next few months here. SR-IOV should have some hefty benefits.

here is that Nvidia VGX
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vdi-desktop-virtualization.html

Looks impressive but I am still waiting 3 months later

More about vSGA
http://blogs.nvidia.com/tag/vsga/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 23, 2012

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

The VGX is going to be supported some time, that link is using a quadro card to allow GPU acceleration to the VD's in that view environment. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next few months here. SR-IOV should have some hefty benefits.

here is that Nvidia VGX
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vdi-desktop-virtualization.html

Looks impressive but I am still waiting 3 months later

More about vSGA
http://blogs.nvidia.com/tag/vsga/

That first link is pretty interesting. Under the Nvidia VGX tab, it has a quote about still using vMotion and stuff. VGX is not supported on ESX, and you would lose vMotion with it if it was supported.

edit: To clarify, you wouldn't get vMotion if you used their pass-through. You still get that with the vsga.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 23, 2012

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Corvettefisher posted:

I won't say this is the issue right here, but I have been burned on performance a few times with Equallogic and the PS4100 isn't their top tier SP. I would be interested what that says with the switches.

Turns out it was semi-storage related. The guys who set this up didn't install the equallogic multipath extension, it seems to have been the source of several bouts of strangeness in that site.

Wasn't expecting a ton from the ps4110e, but our vm environment doesn't really pull that much io typically. Like most places the real io is in the database tier which is being served fantastically by ps6110xs's

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DevNull posted:

So is anyone using or thinking of using the 3D acceleration feature released with ESX5.1? I would be interested in hearing about people's experience with it so far.

What sort of 3d support is provided? Is it limited to a single gpu manufacturer or is it more generic? What is needed to get it running in a VM?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://www.labguides.com/autolab/
If anyone is interested in some lab setup for VCAP or VCP study autolab basically builds you a nice little environment
http://www.vhersey.com/2012/10/autolab-home-lab-build/
Awesome write up of it by my teacher

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Devian666 posted:

What sort of 3d support is provided? Is it limited to a single gpu manufacturer or is it more generic? What is needed to get it running in a VM?

Right now it is limited to just Nvidia. They are the only ones that have ported a driver so far. It requires a Quadro 4000, 5000, 6000, or Kepler card. You might want to check me on that though. The Keplers were not even out when I was still on the project.

Getting it running is pretty easy. You install the vib on the esx box, check a box in the UI to enable 3D in the VM, and make sure you have the latest tools.

There are a few modes for setting 3D. I am not sure how they are exposed in the UI, but from the .vmx file they are "hardware", "software", and "automatic". The hardware config will fail to power on if there are no GPU resources. Software will only run on the software renderer. Automatic will try to power on with the GPU, but will use software rendering if no hardware is available.

You can also enable 3D from the Workstation UI if you have that available and don't have VC setup. I am pretty sure it just defaults to automatic rendering though. WS also has slightly better remoting. They were willing to take a few more features later in the release cycle.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What kind of OEM hardware is available to support that kind of config? Last I checked, the rack-mount Precision workstations came the closest and the biggest problem was most normal servers couldn't push enough power to the PCI-E bus to run the cards. Has that changed at all?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I think for the most part we have been using HP ProLiant systems. I currently have a DL370 G6 with a Quadro 4000 in it. You will want to get the 750 or 1200 watt power supply. With the 1200 watt power supply, we have run a few of the Quadro 6000 cards in a single machine. I am not sure how much power the Kepler cards use though, I have moved from the 3D side of things to the remoting. I did just play UT2004 connected to my ESX box with Workstation though. Clearly a good use of this hardware and company time. :)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Veeam released a new version of their Backup & Replication software today or recently, and I think their support is swamped. When I called earlier for an unrelated issue, someone had changed their hold music to circus music :laugh:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What kind of OEM hardware is available to support that kind of config? Last I checked, the rack-mount Precision workstations came the closest and the biggest problem was most normal servers couldn't push enough power to the PCI-E bus to run the cards. Has that changed at all?

we're testing 5 of these http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-r5500/pd to do passthru graphics on vmware + xendesktop combo. They come in next week so we'll see how good they do in testing but initial research has been promising at actually delivering near desktop experience.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

Veeam released a new version of their Backup & Replication software today or recently, and I think their support is swamped. When I called earlier for an unrelated issue, someone had changed their hold music to circus music :laugh:

That's pretty entertaining, most corporations don't allow their drones to be that self aware.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

we're testing 5 of these http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-r5500/pd to do passthru graphics on vmware + xendesktop combo. They come in next week so we'll see how good they do in testing but initial research has been promising at actually delivering near desktop experience.

Sad they aren't on the vmware HCL, But I would love to hear how it goes

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Racking workstations as a VDI implementation. We have a few experts at that here :smug:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Where is the desktop tetris picture? WHERE?!?!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Where is the desktop tetris picture? WHERE?!?!

Printed and hanging on the wall behind me.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I don't have tetris but I do have Devil May Cry 4.

This is actually running pretty slow. I have seen it get a lot higher frame rate than this. I tried to edit out my server names and such, but you can see that this is Workstation connected to ESX.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 26, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Rhymenoserous posted:

Racking workstations as a VDI implementation. We have a few experts at that here :smug:

dont worry, our 250 user 4 machine cluster esxi vdi implementation works great, this is just for people who need catia and 3dworks and poo poo. tired of physical workstations at desks

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/GPU.cfm

I don't know where you would buy one but they exist.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Sort of related, but I don't really see another thread where this fits better.

I work at IT for a small computer school, and we're running two ESXi boxes to run all our server crap so we can have high uptime. We're thinking of adding a third to replace all the student computers with VMs and use thin clients to control them, but we're having a problem with what program to use for remote desktop. RAdmin is too expensive and won't do what we need anyway, Teamviewer is also too much and LogMeIn doesn't go over local networks. Is there something better anyone can recommend? Or do we have to just suck it up and buy RAdmin?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RyuHimora posted:

Sort of related, but I don't really see another thread where this fits better.

I work at IT for a small computer school, and we're running two ESXi boxes to run all our server crap so we can have high uptime. We're thinking of adding a third to replace all the student computers with VMs and use thin clients to control them, but we're having a problem with what program to use for remote desktop. RAdmin is too expensive and won't do what we need anyway, Teamviewer is also too much and LogMeIn doesn't go over local networks. Is there something better anyone can recommend? Or do we have to just suck it up and buy RAdmin?

Are they Windows VMs? If so, why not just RDP? Most thinclients still have an RDP client built in. Some of the newer ones I have seen have dropped the RDP client in favor for view clients.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
They are windows VMs and that sounds like something I can test next shift. We were hoping for something that might run on linux though, to save licensing costs.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 28, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RyuHimora posted:

They are windows VMs and that sounds like something I can test next shift. We were hoping for something that might run linux though, to save licensing costs.

RDesktop on linux.

We are doing the "poor mans" vdi setup currently to keep people happy while I convince my boss to let us test VMware View. We are running Windows 7 VMs on an ESXi host with small linux boxes connecting instead of a thin client. These people are working remote so being able to connect to our SSL VPN with the linux box, then RDesktop into their virtual workstation is working fine.

We are losing processing compared to using View or Citrix, but it was a quick fix and my boss is a huge pain in my rear end when I try to get new things rolling.

Edit: Make sure to take a look into licensing, MS is very goofy about needing a remote license for any device accessing a virtualized Windows machine.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Any tips on how to make sure we're complying with that? The MS help line is clear as mud.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
If you're running Windows 7 VMs, you'll need an open license for the OS plus either Software Assurance on that license, or the Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) license, which is about $100 a pop. For each VM.

If you're running Server on the VMs, you'll need RDS CALs in addition to the Server license itself.

Plus whatever licensing you need for the software in the VM itself.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah AMD's cards suck for doing acceleration, should have seen that coming. Does fine for workstation VM's, but that isn't what I was trying to achieve.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a newer tech preview out for workstation? The one from July is expired now and I would like to keep using workstation.

I searched but can't find a key or anything.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

Is there a newer tech preview out for workstation? The one from July is expired now and I would like to keep using workstation.

I searched but can't find a key or anything.

I'll check that out.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
It was released and is now called "Workstation 9."

Next tech preview will probably show up shortly before the workstation 10 release.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just signed up for another 30 day trial, I guess that will have to hold me for now.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for VCP5 study notes that follow the blue print/have good links to the vmware documentation within?

I found these notes http://vinfrastructure.it/en/certifications-on-virtualization/vcp/vcp5/ but the links in the PDF only work in HTTP format and the ones that are supposed to link to documentation are broken :(

None of the others listed seem ideal. I have the mastering vsphere book as well but its always nice to follow the vendor blueprint along with additional notes from people.

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

Sylink posted:

I just signed up for another 30 day trial, I guess that will have to hold me for now.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for VCP5 study notes that follow the blue print/have good links to the vmware documentation within?

I found these notes http://vinfrastructure.it/en/certifications-on-virtualization/vcp/vcp5/ but the links in the PDF only work in HTTP format and the ones that are supposed to link to documentation are broken :(

None of the others listed seem ideal. I have the mastering vsphere book as well but its always nice to follow the vendor blueprint along with additional notes from people.

The blueprint / VCP information VMWare page is here:

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www_cert

Here is a direct link to the pdf:
http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/16726-102-7-23055/VCP510%20Exam%20Blueprint%20Guide%201.4.pdf

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I'm not sure where to ask this. As any discussion to the vmware 5.1 might be over the range of what I would find in the tech support forum. Anyhow I run a 3 machine ESXi cluster and it's worked great since it went in. My goal was to simply update it so I could start putting server 2012 into testing on our network. Well the upgrade didn't go horrible but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, Hello single sign-on. Anyhow I found myself sitting with 5.1 on everything. Upgraded vsphere then ESXi servers then lastly the vms. I went home a few Sundays ago thinking everything was good and dandy. I came in that next day to find that I couldn't wake up the running vm's. So I was interested if others have had any issue like this, or know what the cause might be. I asked vmware but of course they say it's not a known bug and is a problem just local to me.

The issue is that when you load the vsphere client to remote in you can't wake up the servers. This is mainly a issue where you can tell the server is running and when you go to the console tab or screen it's simply black. Though switching between some different vms and tabs and going back and forth you can seem to wake it up. Basically my knowledge tells me the vsphere client should show the screen as soon as you click the console tab. However now after 5.1, my console screen is black. Even moving the mouse cursor over it doesn't change the mouse icon. It's like nothing is there. However the vms are running. After you change tabs and do enough magical clicking. What I'll find is that when I go to the console tab and move the mouse over the where you should see the vm. The mouse cursor will change to a hand. Basically denoting that it understands there is indeed something there to click (being the vm on the console screen). When I come in to work all the vms are in this black mode. Almost like it's a timeout issue or something else. I've found that if I leave the vsphere client untouched for about 30 minutes or more. All the vms will go back into this "black" non responding mode on the console tab.

My first thoughts were that this could be a connection or new port related issue to installing vsphere 5.1. This lead me to install the client on the vsphere server itself. This way there are no connectivity issues that can come into play. The firewall is also turned off on the vsphere server. However the problem remains. Even running the client on the server itself. I get presented with the same black screens which won't wake up until I do a fare amount of clicking. Sometimes sending a cntrl-alt-del from the client will awake it from the black mode, sometimes not. This presents me with the mouse icon changing into the hand icon. Which I can then click on the vm and the screen is then displayed.

The best part is that I've had 3-4? calls to vmware with over about 6-10 hours of phone support and no solution yet. I basically will call back and try to find a different person there who will care to help get this fixed. Most simply get the vms awake then go "see I fixed it". Then when they go black again they say now I'm going to send a cntrl-alt-del to it and see now I can click it and go in. However this isn't the way the client should work, nor is the way I've gotten them to confess the 5.1 client should react. So has anyone had these issues with a 5.1? running the 5.1 vsphere client?? I've had this problem for about 3 weeks now. I've got 4 major projects going on. So I've been juggling getting enough time to call vmware back again and again wasting hours of my work day each time.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So the only issue is that through vSphere when you console into a VM it is black? Has the agents and VM's Hardware been updated accordingly?

You might want to check the KB http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=749640

Also is this on all vm's or just server 2012, windows 8? If so you might want to right click on the vm, edit settings, videocard=>enable 3D. I've only had to do that for w8/s2012, to get a gui up.

Is there any reason you aren't using RDP/VNC/Putty to manage the VM's? You really shouldn't be administering the VM's via vSphere console. I really only use the console to get tools installed and setup an IP.

What other Vlans, subnets, etc are there separating the management network?

Running 5.1 in a lab, no issues like that thus far, any VUM updates wanting to be pushed down?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there any reason you aren't using RDP/VNC/Putty to manage the VM's? You really shouldn't be administering the VM's via vSphere console. I really only use the console to get tools installed and setup an IP.

Do you say this just because performance sucks so much over the console? Have you tried it with 5.1 yet? We made a bunch of improvements so it should work a lot better.

forge, do you have an e-mail that I can reach you at? It looks like you don't have PMs and I don't want to post my work e-mail on here. It sounds like it might be a guest driver issue. You might need to bump up your guest video memory for the desktop size.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

Do you say this just because performance sucks so much over the console? Have you tried it with 5.1 yet? We made a bunch of improvements so it should work a lot better.
I am 99% sure VMware's recommends that you use RDP/Putty/VNC to administer services within the virtual machines and only use the console when required. I can try to dig up that white paper sometime tonight.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

I am 99% sure VMware's recommends that you use RDP/Putty/VNC to administer services within the virtual machines and only use the console when required. I can try to dig up that white paper sometime tonight.

What the gently caress? That is probably left over from the days of it being really lovely and slow. I guess we need to find someone in charge of the docs and tell them to change that.

When you use VNC, are you doing it by enabling the VNC access to the VM though the vmx config, or from a VNC server in the guest?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I think it was fairly new as we talked about it in a recent ICM 5 course. I don't believe editing the VMX for VNC is supported but does work, and something like a tigerVNC server within the linux host would work. Normally I just use putty to get tools installed, and leave the service configuration to the client. However, I leave it up to the customer to decide how to administer VM's, if it is via console I don't care I know it works, so does RDP.

It's probably nitpicking, but I like to follow some of the obscure recommended things by vmware, even if other things work perfectly fine and do the same thing, I would rather like to avoid a point where I put my foot in my mouth.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 31, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

DevNull posted:

What the gently caress? That is probably left over from the days of it being really lovely and slow. I guess we need to find someone in charge of the docs and tell them to change that.

You say this like console access to a Server 2008 R2 machine isn't still lovely and slow unless you manually change the video driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

You say this like console access to a Server 2008 R2 machine isn't still lovely and slow unless you manually change the video driver.

Yeah, having our driver shipped with Windows would be nice. I figured most people were installing tools if they are interacting with the VM.