Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo they sold Bleacher Report for $180,000,000? I just threw up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rap posted:

yep can't believe the sure-fire moneymaker of news reporting failed you blackula

Heh, I'm older than most SA posters. I took some college journalism classes in the late 80s before the print apocalypse was apparent. Even then, every instructor, industry guest speaker, etc., all pounded into our heads that if you liked things like eating or paying rent, journalism probably wasn't for you.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
One hundred and eighty million American dollars for zero-content slideshows

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blackula69 posted:

Hey, anyone can list off the 20 biggest draft busts, but putting it to pictures? loving genius.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hey, anyone can list off the 20 biggest draft busts, but putting it to pictures? loving genius.

You want to know the future of the Internet? Imagine a mouse cursor, clicking on the "Next Slide" button - forever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blackula69 posted:

Don't forget tits.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't forget tits.

And slideshows of tits. Kiss tha pageviewzz

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blackula69 posted:

They're not buying content. They're buying eyeballs. Blame America.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I know that, and I do. Whenever you google anything sports-related BR is in the top 5 results, every time. Pandering is a successful formula - and always has been.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The Ledger is moving Jenny Vrentas from the Jets beat to the Giants beat :negative:

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
She's usually on point when I see her quoted on twitter. Do the Jets have any other not terrible writers? Cimini is the one I see besides for her, and he's kind of a tool.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/168273546.html?page=3&c=y

Dangerkat posted this in N/V, and it deserves a mention here. The Star Tribune posts an absolutely terrible piece on Chris Cook that handwaves away his crimes. This bothers me more than hacks like Florio stirring poo poo with his rumor mill of a website. This article is blatant apologism for someone who choked his girlfriend out because of a fight. There are a bunch of DV 101 warning flags here that are in the article but get no more than passing mention- the jealously, the violence shown by both parties in the relationship, the victim blaming, the anger issues. The writer instead treats it more like a mistake instead of a serious crime which is infuriating. This wasn't being busted for pot, this was a violent felony that Cook managed to avoid conviction on due to a hell of a defense team and the victim changing her story.

So congratulations, Peter King. It's week 1 of the NFL season and your latte sipping, acala riding rear end isn't the worst thing to happen to sports journalism this week.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 4, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

superaielman posted:

She's usually on point when I see her quoted on twitter. Do the Jets have any other not terrible writers? Cimini is the one I see besides for her, and he's kind of a tool.

Manish Mehta gets good stories planted with him and Brian Costello is fine, but Vrentas was the best beat writer overall by a rather significant margin IMO. Cimini is...well, yeah.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Peter King posted:

"[T]he replacement officials have done an adequate job."

midwat
May 6, 2007

I'm convinced Peter King is Roger Goodell in a fat suit.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
gently caress rich cimini

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Slow, old Bradie James blew his coverage of MJD to give up a short pass against the Jags that was their only TD this afternoon and fat, old John McClain from the Chronicle decided it was the right time to tweet this:

@McClain_on_NFL posted:

This is what happens to SB pretenders. Jags score cause Gabbert threw for 32 to Robinson for a first down at the 5. Gabbert 5 TD pass to J-D

gently caress you, Pancakes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hello thread. Here is a good read on what makes Bleacher Report so terrible:

http://deadspin.com/5948516?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I wholeheartedly agree with the Bleacher Report hate, it's the most annoying thing that crops up in my phone's newsfeed.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

NFLPA Says Darren Rovell Has “Track Record of Bad Analysis and Uninformed Opinion”

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/10/04/nflpa-says-darren-rovell-has-track-record-of-bad-analysis-and-uninformed-opinion/

Water wet, sky blue etc.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

That explains a lot of things I've wondered about Bleacher Report. The few times I clicked on their links, I was wondering what the gently caress was going on there. Now I pretty much never go, and was shocked when I heard of the sale. The fact that they were being so terrible intentionally, and the "hate-click" quote basically sums it up perfectly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

jackyl posted:

That explains a lot of things I've wondered about Bleacher Report. The few times I clicked on their links, I was wondering what the gently caress was going on there. Now I pretty much never go, and was shocked when I heard of the sale. The fact that they were being so terrible intentionally, and the "hate-click" quote basically sums it up perfectly.

The hate click philosophy is ruining journalism and criticism in general.

You get guys like Skip Bayless in sports or Armond White in movies, guys who spend much of their career unknown and talentless. Then they start saying knowingly outrageous poo poo for attention and it works.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

You get guys like Skip Bayless in sports or Armond White in movies, guys who spend much of their career unknown and talentless. Then they start saying knowingly outrageous poo poo for attention and it works.

Wait, so the Indiana Jones movies didn't get progressively better with each installment? Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isn't the best of them, and Raiders the worst? Adam Sandler's comedies aren't works of genius?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In his pick for the Redskins game this week, Peter King referred to their quarterback as "BobGriff."

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hey the media outlet that actually did the research for this is the SF Weekly so let's give them some clicks because free alternative weeklies own even though this is a Village Voice paper (crappy and corporate but still at least a free weekly)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Deadspin being laughably lovely and thin-skinned about the similarity of their SEO-driven model:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/deadspin-criticizes-bleacher-report-for-being-like-deadspin_b69133

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GD_American posted:

Deadspin being laughably lovely and thin-skinned about the similarity of their SEO-driven model:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/deadspin-criticizes-bleacher-report-for-being-like-deadspin_b69133

The guy from Deadspin is right though, and posting emails like that has worn pretty thin. And on top of that the article is lovely enough to be mistaken for a Deadspin meta-sports-blog post.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You think the guy calling someone 'loving idiotic' while representing their website and brand is right? I do agree that I thought I was looking at deadspin at first when I was reading that.

There's no good guy here in my opinion.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I'm not saying Armond White isn't a troll, but Skip Bayless is vastly more hacky than he is. The problem with Bayless isn't that he expresses wrong or dumb opinions, it's that he falls back on dumb reasoning to back them up. He'd be a lot more entertaining if he were as creative as Armond White.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Armond White said Big Momma's House 2 was a deep exploration of the role of the modern African-American woman in society

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blackula69 posted:

Armond White said Big Momma's House 2 was a deep exploration of the role of the modern African-American woman in society

fart

I too am now a comedic genius.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peter King posted:

10. I think these are my non-NFL thoughts of the week.

a. I may be the last person on earth still to have an AOL email address, I guess I'm just too lazy to change. Now I have a good reason to change. On AOL's front page the other day, the page with news and social and sports commentary, there was a picture of Kim Kardashian, with the news that she was caught going "commando,'' which, and you don't need to use Urban Dictionary for this, means she was photographed with no underwear. Of course you could click the link and go find out more about this important story. So I'm a prude. Do I need to see a headline about some celebrity's underwear displayed prominently on the front page of a supposedly respectable internet company? Aren't there idiot websites for that? Shame on you, AOL.

:cawg:

Peter King is awful but sometimes you come across gems like this that remind you just how incredibly out of touch this man is.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Brannock posted:

:cawg:

Peter King is awful but sometimes you come across gems like this that remind you just how incredibly out of touch this man is.

hahahahaha Oh my god that's amazing.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Well hello there 1995

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
That almost warps Peter King back around into glue-eating class clown levels of, um, 'respectability' isn't the right word.

Basically now I don't want to lose him so long as his brain-droppings can be mined for these sort of nuggets.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Shame on you, AOL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Aren't there idiot websites for that?"

Yes. AOL's newsportal, for instance.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So I'm imagining that his browser homepage is probably AOL.com.

Which rules.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NC-17 posted:

So I'm imagining that his browser homepage is probably AOL.com.

Which rules.

I imagine him still using Dial Up and getting really angry when someone calls him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
rec.sport.football.pro.jacksonville.coffee.local

• Locked thread