Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Cooler weather means more dirtbiking! Here's from the race this past weekend.

Wanna see me center punch the bars with my chest? Of course you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzzGmJFT7U

I think if I didn't wad it 3 times and almost go over the bars I probably would have had more stamina. Ungngngngng. Extended version of the race. Whee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7ElJsYs-A

Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
First snow of the year :( funs over.

Not really

whee!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome!

Dug into my rekluse. It was dragging so I disassembled it. I had to call Rekluse and fine a minimum gap spec (between the rekluse pressure plate and the clutch pack) as they only give you a max spec. Turns out I was too tight by a ludicrous amount.

I also reset the settings to stock. Soft engagement at a medium RPM. I like the soft engagement, but I need to set it to a lower rpm. I hate having to rev it up a bit to get the bike to move.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Finally got back out in the dirt yesterday. We actually got rain (one of the driest summers on record this year!) so the track and woods were AWESOME. Super hooked up.

And because it's been so drat long since I last rode, I'm rediscovering all those little stabilizer muscles you forget exist... OUCH.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I gotta get a new go pro. Anyhow, Magic Mystery track wheee.

Quick vid of me wadding it up. Buddies of mine say they call this "Go Pro Mode" meaning basically soon as you have one on your head you're probably going to do something stupid and wad it. This was the fastest I had gone into the corner all day, reason, gopro. Yes, I need a new go pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvMtSHYV6c

Longer vid with some more of the trials and track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0NQD7KuR90

Good times!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Silver posted:

I gotta get a new go pro. Anyhow, Magic Mystery track wheee.

Quick vid of me wadding it up. Buddies of mine say they call this "Go Pro Mode" meaning basically soon as you have one on your head you're probably going to do something stupid and wad it. This was the fastest I had gone into the corner all day, reason, gopro. Yes, I need a new go pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvMtSHYV6c

Longer vid with some more of the trials and track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0NQD7KuR90

Good times!

Selling my hero 1 for $125 shipped, includes 32g card!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'll buy it, shoot me a PM with a PP address.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
edit: SNIPED!!! OMGOSH.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Thanks! Probably going to hold out a bit and either really step up and get a gopro Hero3 or I figure the 2's are going to price drop huge here soon too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Silver posted:

edit: SNIPED!!! OMGOSH.

Thanks! Probably going to hold out a bit and either really step up and get a gopro Hero3 or I figure the 2's are going to price drop huge here soon too.

Whoops. Go for it if you want it. :v:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

BlackMK4 posted:

Whoops. Go for it if you want it. :v:

Kidding, it's all you. Currently new tires are a bigger priority than a new go pro.

Speaking of... what kinda tires you guys favor? I'm still pretty new so "SUPER DUPER AWESOME GRIP" won't really mean a lot to me just yet, probably longer lasting vs. super awesome. Talking to a bro this weekend he was saying he really liked the pirellis for grip/wear time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're not particular about brand, cruise craigslist for 2-race-old take offs. Good deals to be had. I got two pairs for 100.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

Speaking of... what kinda tires you guys favor?

I use M403 and M404. They're reversible and a set will last you a year (me not so much). I do ride different terrain than you (it appears via video) so ask around.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 23, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll buy it, shoot me a PM with a PP address.

Okay I'll also pm you pictures of what's included.

PM Sent.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 23, 2012

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
What up bros? I just got back from riding Big Bend and made a blog post about the National Park HERE. I'll have one about the Ranch State Park soon too.

Really fun riding, really great scenery.

The Ranch State Park trumps the National Park, but it lacks services (so you have to trailer in and haul your own fuel) and isn't very noob or big bike friendly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

quote:

“Yup. Your transfer case is trash. Gears are slapping around in there and punched a hole through the side!” The mechanic says and our faces fall.
Woah. :psyduck:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Yeah, and it was driving totally fine all week earlier and then as soon as we were 100% ready to go the drat thing shits itself.

He really did say that, which makes it sound like a huge hole, but it was smaller than a pencil eraser in actuality and you could see where someone had repaired another one years earlier with JB Weld.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What bike are you on these days?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Z3n posted:

What bike are you on these days?

I bought a new DRZ400 to prep for South America with my friend Andrea in 2013, but I was on my friend James' KTM450 for Big Bend.

I have to say, the KTM was a blast in the parks, it's so much lighter and more powerful then my DRZ and the suspension is awesome. I'm still sticking for my DRZ for big trips though because they really take abuse well (and don't need premium gasoline)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Get the 690 Enduro, best of both worlds! :haw: They even have a bad gas map if you can't find premium!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Z3n posted:

Get the 690 Enduro, best of both worlds! :haw: They even have a bad gas map if you can't find premium!

690 sounds too big for me, I rode the 525 and it was huge!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Ahem. This is the DIRT BIKE thread. You'll need to plz be making yoru own DUAL SPORT thread. kthx.

I'm bullshitting. When is the next update on the ride report? I got to slept in bed and fine dining and venturing to the more unexplored part of Big Bend and it stopped. :mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Becktastic posted:

690 sounds too big for me, I rode the 525 and it was huge!

I shouldn't even be posting here, I just sold my dirtbikes to go back to track riding. :v:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Anyone happen to have a ktm 450sx, or any other ktm with the older RFS motor? I just rebuilt one and had some questions.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Silver posted:

Ahem. This is the DIRT BIKE thread. You'll need to plz be making yoru own DUAL SPORT thread. kthx.

I'm bullshitting. When is the next update on the ride report? I got to slept in bed and fine dining and venturing to the more unexplored part of Big Bend and it stopped. :mad:

DUAL SPORT 4 LIFE!

Here's the second half: Big Bend Ranch State Park and Pinto Canyon Road

I'm going to make one more for tips on planning a ride in BBRSP, which has details on more of the trails and services and stuff, but I'm going to wait til my friend Darren gets back in a few days with more intel (he and his friends had a whole week in the park). The only document I could find for trip planning was geared towards 4x4s and very out of date. Even the park website is in serious need of an update and none of the staff had even been up the some of the sections we did. It seems like a lot of the park hasn't been driven/ridden by anyone in a long time so you kind of feel like explorers conquering new territory.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
SNOWBIKE 4 LIFE?

Traction has been a problem.

However, the issue has now been rectified with TAPCON TIRE!

TAPCON!!! I chose these bad boys 'casue they're made to screw into concrete n poo poo so they're hard as gently caress.

hmm, wont hold air anymore.

Holy poo poo its full of cocaine!

Precision cut liner

It was basically impossible to get the tire and tube in normally while still keeping the liner in place. So i cheated

Gratuitous waste of zip-ties

Some snips and voila! Cant use a rim-lock when mounting like this :(

Only one severe cut to the hands so far!

Front tire needs some traction too I guess.

Tomorrow will be a good day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

loving awesome. Tell me everything about how well that works for you!

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

Spiffness posted:

loving awesome. Tell me everything about how well that works for you!

I'll let these pics do the talking (stills chosen for maximum BRO)

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Owns!! ^^

Also, vid stolen from broto cross but I crashed 7 times just watching this vid...

http://youtu.be/UYgu4QqA2YE

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That first jump came out of nowhere! The talent and track are both amazing.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
finished up the season for harescrambles recently. I never placed higher than a middle position in C class, no trophies but I had fun and I think that it has made me a better rider both on and off road. Ended up with seventh place by points for the district mainly because I only missed one race.

This was my first year racing and if you are thinking about doing it just get out there and try it, you will probably like it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
What's your time format? We're going from 1.5 hours +1 lap to 2 hours I believe here. I think I'm sticking in trail riders next year which is a 1 hour race for newbs. Not sure yet.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

What's your time format? We're going from 1.5 hours +1 lap to 2 hours I believe here. I think I'm sticking in trail riders next year which is a 1 hour race for newbs. Not sure yet.

one hour, most of the time you end up riding 1:15-20 to finish up whatever lap you are on. One race ended up being two laps (tough race) another I hit six laps, the leader in C class usually had one more lap than me. B class and above run 2 hours. one hour is plenty long for me. This is AMA organized, not sure how others do it

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here in the PNW its always a 1.5hr or 2.5/3hr format. loving brutal, but I love it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah, still being new I'll probably stick with trail riders - 1 hour. I'm not totally positive that the upper classes aren't 2 hours +1 lap. I've done 2 so far and managed absolute last place both times, but had fun and plan on doing more. First one was 11 mile lap in 1:54:22 hahaha. But in my defense I had 2 mechanicals(rear brake locked up because I adjused it the night before and it came loose, twice) and stopped to help a rider with bike issues. Second one I managed one lap and was ouutt. Scored 21 points total for the season though so fu I got a black jack whatup.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So awesome to see so many people racing. It's the reason I like dirtbiking so much. Pulling off racing so easily and cheaply is not available in most motorsports.

I put a floppier spring in my Rekluse so it engages at very low RPMs. It now runs flawlessly. I also raised my fork tubes in my clamps to remove a front wash condition. Went sand riding sunday and didn't notice any high speed head shake.

I really love this bike. I was riding with my old crew with folks I used to be in line with, and now blow past them. So easy to ride, and the bibs give it sooo much traction.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What I love about dirt racing, aside from the price, is that its year round and not weather dependent. Important in WA.

Plus its all hilariously redneck and half assed. Spending all summer at various track days with all the precautions and procedures, its so nice to just show up, get a strip of tape, grid up and bark buster your way between the old man and the small child stuck in the first mud trap in Open C.

Then, invariably as my luck goes this year, blow a tube 20 minutes later.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I'm thinking about getting into Motorcross, as there's a local club that does it and nothing much else to do in this tiny-rear end town in the middle of nowhere (Moranbah, QLD, Australia).

My budget is $3-4,000 AUD. What would be a good entry level bike for this? I'm open to buying a beater and rebuilding it, are there particular brands/bikes to look for? Anything to avoid?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
I've had a lot of fun on the moto-x tracks I've been on. On starter bikes not sure, I would go with 125/250 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke for a starter. Probably get a beater as you're going to wad it for sure. Not sure how the price ranges compare but you could probably get a decent starter bike for around 1500-2000 US I would think. Or at least you can around here. Also talk to the guys at the club about it. Really from what I've found pretty much any aspect of motorcycle riding is very very welcoming to new members, dirt or street, both have welcomed newbie guys with open arms and I've gotten a ton of advice and help from locals.

Give it a go! I'll probably always be predominantly trail rider but I've done a few moto x tracks and those are super fun as well. Just don't have the balls to go pin it to win it to make a 100' double or some poo poo.

:cheers:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Plank posted:

I'm thinking about getting into Motorcross, as there's a local club that does it and nothing much else to do in this tiny-rear end town in the middle of nowhere (Moranbah, QLD, Australia).

My budget is $3-4,000 AUD. What would be a good entry level bike for this? I'm open to buying a beater and rebuilding it, are there particular brands/bikes to look for? Anything to avoid?

Get a decent yz250f or something like that, for example I sold my 2004 model with high-compression piston, heavy duty clutch and full staintune pipe for $2500 earlier in the year, granted I did need the cash to fix my car up, but you should find something like this pretty easily. Note: I am in Brisbane.

Also, if possible try and look beyond Moranbah/Mackay/Rockhampton (Rockhampton might be OK actually), because, as I'm sure you're aware, these are (especially Moranbah) mining towns where everything will go for a fair bit more than what they're actually worth.

Also, I know there are some pretty cool trails in Moranbah! My uncle used to live there and at the back of his house was a fair few km's of trails, with some nice hills and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I have access to bikes in the Brisbane area as my dad will be passing through early January, so a bike from there will probably be my best bet for a good price. I'm also willing to travel to find a better deal.

I stopped in at a bike shop in Mackay today and had a chat to the guys there, they recommended a 250cc bike due to my size (I'm pretty heavily built), so a Yamaha YZ250 seems the way to go. However, I've seen a few KTM 250SX's for decent prices around, would it be stupid to go for one of those since they're sorta closer to being hardcore race bikes? Or will it be essentially the same as a Yamaha?