Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

qntm posted:

I actually had to go to Wikipedia to work out that what he's saying is "The 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey". Just putting that there in case anybody else has never heard of Plainfield, New Jersey and thinks he's talking about playing fields or something.

You probably made this mistake not because you've never heard of Plainfield, New Jersey, but because you're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zenintrude posted:

CBS Films thought that producing a cat video to promote Seven Psychopaths was a good idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0P3vU5D_A

it was

Holy poo poo this owns. :3:

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Django Unchained Final Trailer is up:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/djangounchained/

Holy poo poo this looks epic as all gently caress. The Kill Bill of Westerns, Tarantino is just gonna keep one-uping himself isn't he?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

You probably made this mistake not because you've never heard of Plainfield, New Jersey, but because you're an idiot.

It's like the 40th-biggest town in the state, I honestly have never heard of it. Is it supposed to be famous for some reason?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think he's just saying that that's clearly what he says, Plainfield is the name of a town (every state has one probably) and New Jersey is the name of a state.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
On a side note I wish Bruce Willis would start rocking a mustache again.

InVitro
Dec 23, 2008

I, Gary, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia, command you! Find me a child that I might live again!

scary ghost dog posted:

Or because he's one of the tens of thousands of people on this forum who doesn't have english as their first language, and therefore were mildly confused, at first, since 'Plainfield' and 'playing field' sound incredibly similar.

Idiot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Idiots! All of you, idiots!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Im not sure if it can be helped.. but the problem is that Bruce Willis just doesnt look like John Maclane anymore..

I know how silly that sounds but Bruce Willis is just much stockier now and with a shaven head I cant really suspend my disbelief that he is trying to play a character here.

If he had grown his hair back in and lost a bit of weight... i dunno.

The trailer did look pretty good though, lets hope the movie delivers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Joseph Gordon Levitt is John McClane!!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's our new trailer for Gangster Squad, complete with new re-shoots eliminating the theater-shooting scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqqkDuv-cXo

edit: fixed

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 12, 2012

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kiimo posted:

Here's our new trailer for Gangster Squad, complete with new re-shoots eliminating the theater-shooting scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNF8CY9_dE

Don't know why it ends early (5 seconds short), but oh man do I want to see it now. That was a great trailer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Haha yeah and everybody is posting that so we contacted youtube and filmstage.com to repost it rather than try to send everybody to iTunes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Wolfman is in this movie; he's got nards.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The trailer looks like it spoils a scene where Josh Brolin's character is ambushed and possibly killed?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This looks like it could have been an awesome movie in the hands of a different director- something about slow-motion gunplay and gangster film doesn't sit well with me. Aside from the fun costuming, it doesn't look like it's very appropriately stylized. That said, the cast is too stacked for me not to see it. Here's hoping.

Hipsteresque
Nov 10, 2011
Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem teaser trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0j7K6-0Ak4

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was an outspoken opponent of Zero Dark Thirty when the teaser was posted in this thread, but I have to concede that this new trailer makes it look full of potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkccpnoetw

It's no secret that Kathryn Bigelow is wonderful at the technical aspects of film-making, but I hope she can drive home a really compelling story this time too.

Virgin
Oct 18, 2002
Sex? Feh. Overrated. Let's talk MTG.
Was that...Andy from Parks and Rec playing horse shoes with Joel Edgerton?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Virgin posted:

Was that...Andy from Parks and Rec playing horse shoes with Joel Edgerton?

It will take some getting used to. I can't imagine seeing him kill OBL.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

It will take some getting used to. I can't imagine seeing him kill OBL.

Burt Macklin is a stone cold killer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Jewmanji posted:

It's no secret that Kathryn Bigelow is wonderful at the technical aspects of film-making, but I hope she can drive home a really compelling story this time too.

It should be an enjoyable movie that hopefully nobody makes the mistake of thinking represents what really occurred. Hurt Locker was a very well-made movie with absolutely no military realism whatsover. That's fine when dramatizing a fictional character's life, but if she's filming around real events then she needs to fess up about the liberties she's taking.

Virgin
Oct 18, 2002
Sex? Feh. Overrated. Let's talk MTG.
I remember reading somewhere that Zero Dark Thirty is actually about the first(of many?) failed attempts at catching Bin Laden. I really hope that ends up being the case.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It certainly was when it was in pre-production, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Hipsteresque
Nov 10, 2011

GD_American posted:

It should be an enjoyable movie that hopefully nobody makes the mistake of thinking represents what really occurred. Hurt Locker was a very well-made movie with absolutely no military realism whatsover. That's fine when dramatizing a fictional character's life, but if she's filming around real events then she needs to fess up about the liberties she's taking.

Who cares, it's a movie not a documentary

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hipsteresque posted:

Who cares, it's a movie not a documentary

I don't expect a documentary level of reverence for the truth, and I'm fine with needed fictionalizations. I'm just saying I hope no EOD danger junkies that are also crack snipers who hunt terrorists by themselves (when they magically find them two blocks from the bombing) manage to find their way into this movie and she's, you know, actually hired a military advisor of some sort.

I like Bigelow. She does good work, and I'm looking forward to this. All I'm saying is I hope she realizes she shouldn't soap opera the poo poo out of the characters in this one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GD_American posted:

I don't expect a documentary level of reverence for the truth, and I'm fine with needed fictionalizations. I'm just saying I hope no EOD danger junkies that are also crack snipers who hunt terrorists by themselves (when they magically find them two blocks from the bombing) manage to find their way into this movie and she's, you know, actually hired a military advisor of some sort.

I like Bigelow. She does good work, and I'm looking forward to this. All I'm saying is I hope she realizes she shouldn't soap opera the poo poo out of the characters in this one.

What's wrong with making things extremely dramatic?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

Absolutely nothing? :confused:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GD_American posted:

Absolutely nothing? :confused:

I was using "making things extremely dramatic" as a euphemism for "soap opera the poo poo out of" without the stigma.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

I was using "making things extremely dramatic" as a euphemism for "soap opera the poo poo out of" without the stigma.

It's not making things extremely dramatic in general that's the problem, it's making everything extremely dramatic when it doesn't need to be. Bigelow's made this work before (Point Break) but also had it fall very, very flat (Hurt Locker).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

Also it's the true story of hunting down OBL...doesn't sound like it needs any extra dramatic padding.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Am I the only person who sees a double standard in people attacking The Hurt Locker for not being "realistic" while The Bridge on the River Kwai gets a pass for taking creative liberties?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Am I the only person who sees a double standard in people attacking The Hurt Locker for not being "realistic" while The Bridge on the River Kwai gets a pass for taking creative liberties?

Considering nobody here mentioned the second movie at all, you probably are

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

GD_American posted:

Considering nobody here mentioned the second movie at all, you probably are

Not here specifically, but in general. When's the last time you saw someone having a right go at David Lean for the ending of The Bridge on the River Kwai? Or any old well-regarded war movie, really like Zulu. The titular bridge in The Bridge on the River Kwai not only was not blown up, it was in use for a couple of decades after the war. Similarly in Zulu, there was no attack at dawn on the 23rd of January, 1873 like in the film and there certainly was no defiant rendition of Men of Harlech. The inaccuracy those films are given a pass, but The Hurt Locker is taken to task because of inaccuracies and to me, that represents a significant double standard.

That's probably enough of this derail anyway.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 13, 2012

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Vagabundo posted:

Not here specifically, but in general. When's the last time you saw someone having a right go at David Lean for the ending of The Bridge on the River Kwai? Or any old well-regarded war movie, really like Zulu. The titular bridge in The Bridge on the River Kwai not only was not blown up, it was in use for a couple of decades after the war. Similarly in Zulu, there was no attack at dawn on the 23rd of January, 1873 like in the film and there certainly was no defiant rendition of Men of Harlech. The inaccuracy those films are given a pass, but The Hurt Locker is taken to task because of inaccuracies and to me, that represents a significant double standard.

That's probably enough of this derail anyway.

That's a pretty interesting question actually. I think it's because of the tension between the film's gritty, realistic presentation and its underlying action movie ruleset. Renner's character is a Lethal Weapon-style action hero situated in a believably realized depiction of a real war. That's one of the most interesting things about the movie for me.

Actual veterans seem to be the group that's hardest on Hurt Locker. I think that's partly because the military just naturally transforms people into scoffing pedants (no offense to anyone), but maybe it's also because the movie gives the appearance of being something that will 'get it right' only to submerge itself in cliches and tropes. For me the things that jar the most aren't the inaccuracies, it's the cliches - like the adorable soccer-loving Lil Pepe character. But these are the things that make the movie fascinating as well.

I think the film I would most readily compare it to is Michael Mann's Heat. There's some strong thematic parallels, but that's for another post. Heat is known (and loved) for the ways in which it differs from a typical action movie, Hurt Locker for the ways in which it's similar, but both films are ultimately unrealistic. Heat pays lip service to procedure in order to justify outlandish outcomes. Hurt Locker apparently fudges when it comes procedure, but the filmmaking is so confident and bravura that I would never have known had it not been pointed out to me by the internet.

(For what it's worth I think some of the unrealistic elements of Kwai don't do it any favors, but I'm not the film's biggest fan. When we first meet William Holden's character, he's barrel chested and hale with a little bit of scruff - it's a pretty comical vision of a POW.)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the latest Zero Dark Thirty trailer I'm getting the feeling this will be told from the female CIA character's viewpoint. In the book No Easy Day she's identified as "Jane" and she's supposedly the one that figures out that OBL is in Abbatobad. If this is the case I'm actually excited for this movie since I've already read the raid from a DEVGRU's point of view.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This trailer for Holy Motors is awesome and all but I REALLY need to know what the last song in it is (starting at 1:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWu9WjEcdbk

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 21, 2012

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DivisionPost posted:

This trailer for Holy Motors is awesome and all but I REALLY need to know what the last song in it is (starting at 1:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWu9WjEcdbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2GVlQkn4Q

Come With Me Now by the KONGOS

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjG-1U3wqA

Iron Man 3: Tony Stark Vs The World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Possibly the best action film of this year came out on VOD yesterday, and you will want to see it after watching this new trailer. I give you Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning, aka, Universal Soldier meets Apocalypse Now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hGGgwXZuc

• Locked thread