Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Now that I know it's not a weird editing thing, I can say that it's really unnatural and jarring.
Someone needs to call him and tell him it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Manifest posted:

Now that I know it's not a weird editing thing, I can say that it's really unnatural and jarring.
Someone needs to call him and tell him it sucks.

I think we both listen to the same podcast airing, so I'm thinking it may be commercials that have been edited out? During the live broadcast are their a lot of commercials during Robin's news?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

adamj1982 posted:

I think we both listen to the same podcast airing, so I'm thinking it may be commercials that have been edited out? During the live broadcast are their a lot of commercials during Robin's news?

143 buddy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

adamj1982 posted:

In the last year or so, they started doing lots of live commercials during the news.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, but that's like Howard constantly talking about facetime right?
He isn't actually going into straight up reads is he? Everytime I turn my radio on I catch the same god damned 5 minutes of the replay I heard that morning.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Naw, he does it all the time. You can catch Fred telling him he doesn't have to often, even on the edited commercial free versions.

He'll say like

"Do you know what else is important Robin? Some dumb service nobody would ever use"

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
At least him and Fred stopped reading commercials with that Stuttering John voice, that got super annoying after awhile.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

AxeManiac posted:

Naw, he does it all the time. You can catch Fred telling him he doesn't have to often, even on the edited commercial free versions.

He'll say like

"Do you know what else is important Robin? Some dumb service nobody would ever use"

I have a feeling they do this so the commercial still airs during replays. It wouldn't surprise me if a live read during the show cost more than a commercial during a pre-defined commercial break.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

an adult beverage posted:

At least him and Fred stopped reading commercials with that Stuttering John voice, that got super annoying after awhile.

Iiiiiiiiiiiidentity Guaaaaaaaaard!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I just saw something about Mel stepping down as CEO effective immediately. Tomorrow should be a interesting show.

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

Djarum posted:

So I just saw something about Mel stepping down as CEO effective immediately. Tomorrow should be a interesting show.

Where did you see he's stepping down immediately? Seeing articles about him stepping down, but not until February 1st:

Chicago Tribune posted:

(Reuters) - Sirius XM Radio Inc Chief Executive Mel Karmazin will step down in February, a move that comes at a time when media mogul John Malone's Liberty Media Corp is trying to wrest full control of the satellite radio broadcaster.

Shares of the company were down 2 percent at $2.81 in trading after the bell on Tuesday.

Liberty, Sirius's largest shareholder with a stake of just under 50 percent, has been trying for months to wrest control of Sirius and has filed a petition with U.S. regulators to replace the company's board. Liberty has argued that Sirius should be more aggressive about pursuing better technology and expanding internationally.

Whenever he's stepping down, will be interesting to see if this intensifies Howard's anger towards management now that his old buddy Mel won't be there.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Maybe the new management will realize it's a bad idea to pay "personalities" like Oprah and Jamie Foxx millions of dollars to essentially do nothing.

Prons
Oct 11, 2012

Chick Magnet.
Eric the Parrot on Cougar Town would make me actually watch Cougar town.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Former Human posted:

Maybe the new management will realize it's a bad idea to pay "personalities" like Oprah and Jamie Foxx millions of dollars to essentially do nothing.

To be fair, Oprah was a buy from XM to drive fans AWAY from Stern. She was hired around Jan or Feb of 2006, so the timing was pretty apt.

But, Jamie Foxx - yeah, that one's gonna fall on Sirius. I don't know who the demographic is for the Foxxhole, but I'd love to see its ratings if the ability was there to view it.

...hell, I'd like to see any of the ratings for any channels!

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Come to think of it, is the listlessness of Howard himself kind of a psychological strike against Sirius? Think about it - there's only so much denial you can be in to realize that the past three years of the show has just been not good at all. Sure, there's bright spots, but when you compare them to the overall presentation...that's why they stand out the most.

I remember around 2010 he would incessantly bitch and moan (with good reason) against people like Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx and even Eminem representing Sirius, but not coming in-studio anywhere near enough as often as he does. He was actually envious that Oprah in particular got paid millions for nothing.

So what does this say about him? Is he purposely dottering around making the show suck on purpose? He also did AGT, and he used to be vitrolic against anyone who tried to do two full-time jobs at once because one of them would suffer more for it. As he's said on a few occasions - "there are no mistakes."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cliche Guevara posted:

Come to think of it, is the listlessness of Howard himself kind of a psychological strike against Sirius? Think about it - there's only so much denial you can be in to realize that the past three years of the show has just been not good at all. Sure, there's bright spots, but when you compare them to the overall presentation...that's why they stand out the most.

I remember around 2010 he would incessantly bitch and moan (with good reason) against people like Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx and even Eminem representing Sirius, but not coming in-studio anywhere near enough as often as he does. He was actually envious that Oprah in particular got paid millions for nothing.

So what does this say about him? Is he purposely dottering around making the show suck on purpose? He also did AGT, and he used to be vitrolic against anyone who tried to do two full-time jobs at once because one of them would suffer more for it. As he's said on a few occasions - "there are no mistakes."

No I think he's just getting old and tired and is essentially on auto-pilot until he retires. I can't fault him for that, dude's been getting up at 4:30am for 30 years now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

No I think he's just getting old and tired and is essentially on auto-pilot until he retires. I can't fault him for that, dude's been getting up at 4:30am for 30 years now.

I still believe in the "no ratings = no motivation" theory. He doesn't give a poo poo, because he doesn't feel like he has to.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

I still believe in the "no ratings = no motivation" theory. He doesn't give a poo poo, because he doesn't feel like he has to.

Well I mean at this point, what's left for him to accomplish in his career? He already had a #1 show in dozens of markets all across the country. Its not like he still needs to crush local morning zoo shows anymore.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

haljordan posted:

Well I mean at this point, what's left for him to accomplish in his career? He already had a #1 show in dozens of markets all across the country. Its not like he still needs to crush local morning zoo shows anymore.

God drat, I miss that. :smith:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

God drat, I miss that. :smith:

I know, he was in his most glorious when he was ruining other peoples' careers. I especially love the time they sent a random listener on a date with DiBella's ex-wife.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

I know, he was in his most glorious when he was ruining other peoples' careers. I especially love the time they sent a random listener on a date with DiBella's ex-wife.

That was no random listener; that was Captain Janks. :D

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

That was no random listener; that was Captain Janks. :D

Hahahaha, even better. Didn't that woman kill herself a few weeks later?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

Hahahaha, even better. Didn't that woman kill herself a few weeks later?

Yeah, she eventually killed herself, but I'm not sure how much later it was.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

haljordan posted:

Well, yeah, I agree - so why did he resign? He had to know losing Artie would make a difference, plus he was already having issues with Sirius in 2010. What, no one else remembers the whole "SIM card" concept and him yelling "I want someone to ROMANCE ME!!!!!!" bullshit?

If it's money, why not just do the AGT gig in 2011 or similar and be a goof like Howie Mandel - former comedian, now yukky game show host?

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

prefect posted:

Yeah, she eventually killed herself, but I'm not sure how much later it was.

Are we talking about DeBella's wife? She accidentally fell asleep drunk in a locked garage with the car running, IIRC

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Once the show is over Beth will go into full on Baby Mode or she'll divorce him and cash in on the settlement.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Tuesday's rap battle bit with Lieberman and Sal was great, both because they were insanely bad and because the rappers they had in to judge them were interesting as hell.

That poor Asian wife..

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thank goodness Howard protects the listeners from "Best of" CDs and instead sells them gems like the Howard Stern Show Musical.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

musclecoder posted:

I have a feeling they do this so the commercial still airs during replays. It wouldn't surprise me if a live read during the show cost more than a commercial during a pre-defined commercial break.
Speaking of which, what's the deal with the the "I Hate Steven Singer" of Steven Singer Jewlers? Is it some attempt to be "edgy"? Either way, it loving sucks.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think you hate him because he makes rings too cheap to ignore, so you gotta buy them for your woman. I think that was the goal of that slogan. Who knows, but it turns out I just hate his ads.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Oh, Brandy Talore, tell me how sexy I look in my cum-stained PJ pants.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Thank goodness Howard protects the listeners from "Best of" CDs and instead sells them gems like the Howard Stern Show Musical.

That's a joke, stupid

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Don't be stupid you moron.

Testing, one, two.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Speaking of musicals, am I weird for enjoying the improvized musicals that Howard does with George whenever he's in the studio?

"I am in jaillllll... For being Japaneseeeee!"

"Japaneeeeesseeee Americannnnnn, Hoooooowaaaaaaaard."

"I am Japanese but I ammmmmmm alsooooo an American!" :toot:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Everything with George is amazing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Everything with George is amazing.

Agreed, but the "Howard improvs Broadway songs" bit is much older then George... but extra fun when George is there, since he is such a Broadway queen.

Definitely one of my favorite of the long-running Stern bits, up there with the Teddy Kennedy voice and psychically channeling Elvis.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Apparently they are going to activate the Sirius/XM radio in my car for three free months soon. Anyone else get a letter like this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

haljordan posted:

Apparently they are going to activate the Sirius/XM radio in my car for three free months soon. Anyone else get a letter like this?

Six months ago I plugged in my old Sirius unit that has been unused for a year. It fired right up and everything. It still works all these months later. My Dad's built-in Sirius he got with his new car 3 years ago still works without an active sub. Same for my wife's car. I suspect they just don't care anymore. They must be content with the money they get from auto makers and internet radio subs.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008
Wow! More proof Sirus/XM Canada and US are two drastically different business units. I bought a new car in June that came with 3 months free XM. 3 months to the day, to the hour, it quit working.

And now they want $4 a month more for Stern/Playboy/NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Ha ha does anyone besides Eric The Actor listen to playboy?