Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Oh, hey Cave of Forgotten Dreams is on here. Werner Herzog makes an absolutely gorgeous documentary about ancient cave paintings.

It does make me wish I had bothered to go see it in 3D in a theater. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I've just discovered a near-fatal flaw in Netflix's streaming catalog. They have no Ed Wood movies.

By "near-fatal flaw" I'm sure you mean "huge benefit" because Ed Wood movies are all horrible pieces of poo poo that, beyond Plan 9, are unwatchable.

VVVV: we all enjoy our fair share of horrible movies. :)

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kro-Bar posted:

By "near-fatal flaw" I'm sure you mean "huge benefit" because Ed Wood movies are all horrible pieces of poo poo that, beyond Plan 9, are unwatchable.

I really like Glen or Glenda.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like Glen or Glenda.

Not everyone is perfect. :)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

VVVV: we all enjoy our fair share of horrible movies. :)

Bride of the Monster does have a great final (speaking) performance by Bela Lugosi and some fun quirky characters, and Night of the Ghouls is where Ed turns his clumsy goofiness into surreal creepiness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a way to remove shows from the available watch list? My girlfriend keeps making me watch the dumbest loving poo poo and I'm getting tired of it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Is there a way to remove shows from the available watch list? My girlfriend keeps making me watch the dumbest loving poo poo and I'm getting tired of it.

Have a talk with your girlfriend?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kro-Bar posted:

Not everyone is perfect. :)

Don't sign your posts! ahauhahaha

But really, what's the matter with Glen or Glenda? It's lo-fi outsider art. It's poorer than Poverty Row. It's an independent movie from the 50's, what's not to love?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rhyno posted:

I want this feature too to get rid of both retarded poo poo like Toddlers and Tiaras and Teen pregnancy shows, and also certain inappropriate things so my kids do t accidentally click on them

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I always feel like Ed Wood's material was over-rated, if that's the way to say it. His movies are bad, but they never struck me as particularily worse than a lot of similar shlock coming out at the same time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kuddles posted:

I always feel like Ed Wood's material was over-rated, if that's the way to say it. His movies are bad, but they never struck me as particularily worse than a lot of similar shlock coming out at the same time.

I've only seen Glen or Glenda, but I didn't find it to be particularly bad. It's entertaining, but no so much for its badness. It's watchable in the same way The Price is Right or PBS programming is watchable, as low-budget, easily-to-digest "filler" for days when you're really bored or stuck in bed sick.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So X-Files. . . yeah. :tinfoil:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kuddles posted:

They're so enthusiastic, like he's just having the time of his life making a movie. I'd call them relatively inept movies made by a guy who's so excited to be making them that they're full of slap-dash sets and continuity errors--not lazy ones, but ones where he didn't fix them because it would slow down his good time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Don't sign your posts! ahauhahaha

But really, what's the matter with Glen or Glenda? It's lo-fi outsider art. It's poorer than Poverty Row. It's an independent movie from the 50's, what's not to love?

It's a trifle repetitive, especially the version that was released with several minutes of light bondage to get it to seven reels. It's his most personal but flows the least as a narrative.

Mostly, though, Wood's films are pretty well paced, which is why I think they work better than most bad movies of the period which just limp along because they can't afford to show anything exciting. Wood would just show it whether he could do so convincingly or not. I think he had the creativity a filmmaker needs, but never had the opportunity to learn the craft, the nuts and bolts.

I've got this theory that if Ed had moved to say, New York instead and became a comic book writer, he would've flourished- his stories were the right level of goofy for what was being published in the 50s and 60s, his dialogue was pretty much up to the standard of the time, and actors and budgets would be a non-issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Have a talk with your girlfriend?

Yeah that works so well. I swear if I have to watch one more episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" i'm going to throw the coffee table at the tv.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rhyno posted:

Yeah that works so well. I swear if I have to watch one more episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" i'm going to throw the coffee table at the tv.

On GirlSA she's posting "If he doesn't get the hint soon I'm going to throw the coffee table at the tv."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Volume posted:

So X-Files. . . yeah. :tinfoil:

It's odd that you posted this because I just started watching it today. I watched it a lot when I was younger but hell if I can remember a drat thing about it.

I'm like 3 episodes in....

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mahoning posted:

It's odd that you posted this because I just started watching it today. I watched it a lot when I was younger but hell if I can remember a drat thing about it.

I'm like 3 episodes in....

First season is kind of lackluster but it ramps up in seasons 2 and 3.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Volume posted:

First season is kind of lackluster but it ramps up in seasons 2 and 3.

Is that banned episode from season 4 Home on there?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yep, I just watched that the other day after skipping ahead to The AV Club's "recommended episodes".

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It is indeed, I didn't remember the name but knew exactly which one it was once I looked it up.

Someday I may finish watching the X-Files. I'll watch a ton of episodes in a row then get kind of burnt out. I could just skip the non-storyline ones, but I have an obsessive need to watch them all in order. I'm about midway through Season 6 now, the story arcs in season 5 and 6 have been really intense but I always run out of steam on the filler episodes. It's really cool seeing a lot of the character actors pop up though. The second episode of Season 6, "Drive", has Bryan Cranston. Also in this episode Mulder is talking on the phone at one point and mentions the name "Armentrout/Ehrmantraut", who is a major character in Breaking Bad. I looked up the episode and guess who wrote it, Vince Gilligan. It all comes full circle.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It is indeed, I didn't remember the name but knew exactly which one it was once I looked it up.

Someday I may finish watching the X-Files. I'll watch a ton of episodes in a row then get kind of burnt out. I could just skip the non-storyline ones, but I have an obsessive need to watch them all in order. I'm about midway through Season 6 now, the story arcs in season 5 and 6 have been really intense but I always run out of steam on the filler episodes. It's really cool seeing a lot of the character actors pop up though. The second episode of Season 6, "Drive", has Bryan Cranston. Also in this episode Mulder is talking on the phone at one point and mentions the name "Armentrout/Ehrmantraut", who is a major character in Breaking Bad. I looked up the episode and guess who wrote it, Vince Gilligan. It all comes full circle.

Seth Greene popped up in the 2nd episode of the entire series.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Finishing it right now actually. Very disturbing episode. It's like if X-Files investigated the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm getting a little bored of the monster of the week episodes but the over all mythology ones are prime.

Mahoning posted:

Seth Greene popped up in the 2nd episode of the entire series.

Jack Black's in an episode as well. Jose Chung's Outer Space from Season 3 has both Alex Trabek and Jessie Ventura. Jessie Ventura actually does a back breaker on some one. All the little guest spots are pretty fun to watch.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 24, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Double post. My bad.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 24, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Volume posted:

Finishing it right now actually. Very disturbing episode. It's like if X-Files investigated the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm getting a little bored of the monster of the week episodes but the over all mythology ones are prime.

It's probably one of my favorites, mainly because I remember when it was banned and it was a big deal. It really is pretty disturbing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I can't really find the answer but maybe someone here could answer whether Netflix for PS3 has less movies offered? Cause it really seems it does unless I am just not understanding the interface.

Also, Waxwork is fantastically cheesy horrible B movie fun and I recommend it. It does have some great cheesy 80s special effects.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I could just skip the non-storyline ones, but I have an obsessive need to watch them all in order.

If you have to skip anything, make it the storyline ones. Those turn into an awful convoluted mess and are almost never good or memorable outside of the plot. The last cool one is the one that starts with the American Indian guy talking about a white calf being born.

The episodic ones are usually much better written, and it seems like much more care went into them, strangely enough.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The real trick, as with most long-running television series, is to do something else while you watch them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

The real trick, as with most long-running television series, is to do something else while you watch them.

I can't watch anything this way. Things either get 100% of my attention or 0% of my attention.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Flippycunt posted:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that does this. I have a very bad habit of playing video games - mainly RPGs - while marathoning a TV show. It's almost entirely the reason for my very long-running fetish for hand-held video-game systems almost completely in lieu of console systems. And the funny thing is that I almost never do either thing by itself unless I'm, like, traveling or the power is out or a game/film/TV show is particularly requiring of my attention. But mostly I play my handheld console with the volume off (3DS XL and Vita now and I'm ashamed to admit that I own both) while I listen to the show and keep an eye on it in my peripheral vision.

I literally cannot just sit and watch a TV show by myself, it's as if something is wrong with me - if I'm not playing a handheld then I *need* to have some silly low-attention game open like solitaire or bejeweled or something open in a window parallel to netflix/VLC in order to keep the restless portion of my brain (and my hands) occupied which then allows me to properly enjoy whatever I'm watching.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The X-Files story arc is unsatisfying at best and gets increasingly worse as time goes on (the show blows it load on all this pretty early but then pretends like there's more to be seen). The show's strengths are generally in its better monsters-of-the-week and when it de-constructs itself.

The first season also has some shamefully terrible episodes, and I think there's a couple stuck into season 2 as well. The episode where Mulder has a British flame is probably the worst of the entire series, which is saying something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just started watching The X-Files myself for the first time since I watched it on TV like 17 years ago. It's aged fairly well and I was surprised how violent it is. I mean, there's hardened convicts saying "butt" instead of "rear end" but here, have a decapitated head instead! :stare: I'm watching them on DVD however since they're not available on Netflix where I am. That is a fuckload of discs by the way.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The first season also has some shamefully terrible episodes, and I think there's a couple stuck into season 2 as well. The episode where Mulder has a British flame is probably the worst of the entire series, which is saying something.
I can forgive most of the first season episodes for their 1990-isms but "Ghost in the Machine" is a really terrible episode, even if you ignore all the dumb technobabble. At least "Fire" has some neat pyrotechnics going for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I can forgive most of the first season episodes for their 1990-isms but "Ghost in the Machine" is a really terrible episode, even if you ignore all the dumb technobabble. At least "Fire" has some neat pyrotechnics going for it.

It's quite an interesting time capsule in its way. I love the way that computers slowly change from quite exotic magic machines to regular tool used to get work done. In the first seasons, Mulder gives slide shows in his office because nobody has a desktop at work yet.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hollis posted:

I can't really find the answer but maybe someone here could answer whether Netflix for PS3 has less movies offered? Cause it really seems it does unless I am just not understanding the interface.

Also, Waxwork is fantastically cheesy horrible B movie fun and I recommend it. It does have some great cheesy 80s special effects.

It's just the way things are laid out. It gives the top x amount of films for each category. If you take a look at Instantwatcher it'll give you the full list of films that you just need to search for on the PS3.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I can't watch anything this way. Things either get 100% of my attention or 0% of my attention.

Same here. Even the most straightforward movie/show has so much going on visually that if you glance away or pay half attention you'll miss a lot. It seems like you'd just be getting the major beats, at which point it doesn't even seem worthwhile.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Same here. Even the most straightforward movie/show has so much going on visually that if you glance away or pay half attention you'll miss a lot. It seems like you'd just be getting the major beats, at which point it doesn't even seem worthwhile.

It really depends on the quality of the show, and/or how it's presented. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for Battlestar Galactica, but if I'm watching something like the old Transformers cartoons I can paint or do something else while it's on. I can also do stuff while most dialogue-heavy comedies are on, since what's going on visually isn't usually as important as the jokes going out.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I have two monitors so I generally stream on one while I work or do something else on the other. Its perfect for shows like the X-Files or Star Trek where 75% of the time nothing particularly important is happening.

edit: Also good for watching stand-up because like the guy above said, don't really need to see it to keep track of what they're saying.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So there's a 1st season episode of X-Files that predicted a space shuttle burning up on re-entry due to damaged tiles. Another Chris Carter tv show, The Lone Gunmen, predicted terrorists high jacking a 747 and flying it into the World Trade Center (or more accurately, the government doing it, to start a foreign war and up the defense budget)

Is Chris Carter Nastrodamus?! :tinfoil:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

regulargonzalez posted:

On GirlSA she's posting "If he doesn't get the hint soon I'm going to throw the coffee table at the tv."

I wish GirlSA was a real website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I wish GirlSA was a real website

There used to be one.

• Locked thread