Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the insight into the work you guys do. I'll certainly look into those places. It sounds like I won't be able to get a summer internship for my final summer because of the grant money that is being used for my research at school, so I'm going to try and set up some appointments for tours of different companies in 2013/2014. Some guys I graduated with in undergrad are already complaining about their jobs since they just took the first job offer they got, and I do not want to make that same mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

nbakyfan posted:

Thanks for the insight into the work you guys do. I'll certainly look into those places. It sounds like I won't be able to get a summer internship for my final summer because of the grant money that is being used for my research at school, so I'm going to try and set up some appointments for tours of different companies in 2013/2014. Some guys I graduated with in undergrad are already complaining about their jobs since they just took the first job offer they got, and I do not want to make that same mistake.

To be fair, you don't really get a lot of choice in the current economy. If you can get a seemingly decent engineering job (decent pay, and health benefits), I would say take it.

Chances are when you graduate, you won't be working WHERE you want to work, and you won't be doing WHAT you want to do.

Hopefully in a couple of years, you will be able to start doing what you want.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
P much everyone I knows gettin job offers at ucf and theyre mostly incompetent green engineers. Good salaries too. All mechanical/aero. Orlando has a lot of engineering jobs though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lord Gaga posted:

P much everyone I knows gettin job offers at ucf and theyre mostly incompetent green engineers. Good salaries too. All mechanical/aero. Orlando has a lot of engineering jobs though.

No shortage of auto companies hiring in Michigan either, and the bar is really, really low. Failed statics twice and sporting a 2.5? No problem, GM would love to have you!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Judging from the number of recruiters with first interviews for me, (and still calling even after I got a sweet job)
Tech writing is still hot, but the contacts are Meh. Either no benefits and below average pay, or average to good pay but you need to be on site for 6 - 9 months.
Controls engineers are being hired in preparation for infrastructure and large capital projects that companies have been putting off since 08.
Depending on your regions industry, that implies design engineers of specific types are also in demand.
Another thing to remember is the game changes at 2 & 5 years of experience. So even if you're not doing what you want in your field, you become more mobilewithin your industry at those points.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yea, I'm not doing exactly what I want but I'm working in medical device r&d, and with all these greedy baby boomers I really figure I can only go up as the years go by

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

movax posted:

No shortage of auto companies hiring in Michigan either, and the bar is really, really low. Failed statics twice and sporting a 2.5? No problem, GM would love to have you!

Maybe that's why GM hasn't contacted me about my applications. I'm overqualified. Also would like to know who is 'hiring like crazy', because I'm certainly not getting much love over my way.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Maybe that's why GM hasn't contacted me about my applications. I'm overqualified. Also would like to know who is 'hiring like crazy', because I'm certainly not getting much love over my way.

It feels like everyone; Lear, Magna, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Takata, Conti, TRW, AAM, etc. I've lived in MI my whole life and used to work in auto, so I take a lot of stuff as granted I guess (plus the majority of people I know from school are all in auto, it's like a disease). There are recruiters spamming the gently caress out of everyone too, to the point of getting degrees wrong; got an e-mail yesterday telling me I'd be a great resident engineer for powertrain or someshit.

Aerotek and the other contract houses are also picking up people. What's your experience like? I can probably get your resume to someone's desk pretty easily. Do you have power electronics experience at all?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

movax posted:

It feels like everyone; Lear, Magna, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Takata, Conti, TRW, AAM, etc. I've lived in MI my whole life and used to work in auto, so I take a lot of stuff as granted I guess (plus the majority of people I know from school are all in auto, it's like a disease). There are recruiters spamming the gently caress out of everyone too, to the point of getting degrees wrong; got an e-mail yesterday telling me I'd be a great resident engineer for powertrain or someshit.

Aerotek and the other contract houses are also picking up people. What's your experience like? I can probably get your resume to someone's desk pretty easily. Do you have power electronics experience at all?

I've got a degree in Aerospace Engineering, but no experience. I'm familiar with electrical work, AC, DC, analog and digital, and all that good stuff. I graduated in 2008 and have been trying to get an engineering job since then, but have had no luck. So far, I've worked in a bank, a call center, two warehouses, and am currently in between jobs. If you know someone who'd look my way, I'd appreciate it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Any good places in the twin cities, mn hiring EEs? I've been stuck in a contract job for the last year. Its a rolling contract deal (they want to hire me but corporate wont let them blah blah) so my job isn't going away, but I really need a real job with health insurance and vacation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think both Emerson and Eaton have openings in the Twin Cities. No idea what they're like to work for, though.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I've got a degree in Aerospace Engineering, but no experience. I'm familiar with electrical work, AC, DC, analog and digital, and all that good stuff. I graduated in 2008 and have been trying to get an engineering job since then, but have had no luck. So far, I've worked in a bank, a call center, two warehouses, and am currently in between jobs. If you know someone who'd look my way, I'd appreciate it.

:psyduck: You seriously must interview like poo poo, have felonies...or something. How have you not taught your self solidworks and picked up a 45K manufacturing type engineering job by now? I was getting job offers for that type of poo poo back when I had finished my 2 year degree though I have a bunch of machining experience.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

YF19pilot posted:

I don't think you're trying very hard to get a job. Are you looking outside of your immediate area? If the mountain won't come to Muhammed, etc., etc.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Noctone posted:

I think both Emerson and Eaton have openings in the Twin Cities. No idea what they're like to work for, though.

I haven't worked for them, but working with them was loving horrible. YMMV

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Noctone posted:

Emerson hiring in the Twin Cities is likely for Rosemount Measurement. Rosemount is one of a dozen companies in the Emerson Process Management business unit, one of five business units under Big Brother Emerson.

Marketing basically runs Rosemount so if you can get an engineering position there, you'd be golden. Manufacturing is also good if you can avoid working shifts (or if you like that, good news!). Avoid inside sales, customer service, technical support, etc.; they hire engineers into these positions and your soul will be crushed.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SeaBass posted:

I haven't worked for them, but working with them was loving horrible. YMMV

Really depends on who you deal with. Inside sales people were always a pain to work with in my experience, but there was a local Rosemount sales rep I worked pretty regularly with for a few years that was outstanding.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Lord Gaga posted:

:psyduck: You seriously must interview like poo poo, have felonies...or something. How have you not taught your self solidworks and picked up a 45K manufacturing type engineering job by now? I was getting job offers for that type of poo poo back when I had finished my 2 year degree though I have a bunch of machining experience.

SeaBass posted:

I don't think you're trying very hard to get a job. Are you looking outside of your immediate area? If the mountain won't come to Muhammed, etc., etc.

Actually, I've been looking pretty hard. I probably submit my resume to something between 10 and 20 jobs daily, if not more, and have been doing so for the past 4 years. I always look outside my immediate area, because my main goal is an aviation job, and those tend to be in very specific areas.

I'm currently teaching myself AutoCAD, but Catia is the standard in the aerospace industry and I don't think they have free versions like AutoCAD.

The big problem is I have only had two interviews for engineering positions in the entire past four years (neither in aerospace). Before you ask, yes, I keep up on my resume, working, reworking, and I even purchased a resume from ResumetoInterviews here on SA.

What interviews I have had (engineering and non-engineering jobs), I've gotten positive feedback from the interviewers; and have only been turned down because "someone with more experience was selected".

I keep up with friends who are in the industry, and try to network best I can, but I don't think my networking is as good as it could be.

So really, I've got the job search down, I've got the resume down, I've got the interview down; I just can't seem to get interviews. And I've been doing this day-in day-out for four years. If there is something wrong or missing keeping me from even getting my foot in the door, it's something that I'm not able to see.

Edit: Also, I've got a clean record. No felonies or anything of the sort. I've been a good boy.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Noctone posted:

I know Cargill is pretty much looking for ees at one location or another. They may want to ship your assistance to Iowa though.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Found something better.

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 18, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I attended that conference I mentioned earlier, and I think I figured out that I want to work in Bioinformatics. I was told that my design-based education, experimental/clinical experience, and background in programming and CS (specifically, image analysis and processing) would make me a great candidate for a career in the subject. Does anyone know what I would need to do to become competitive in Bioinformatics, find out who wants a BME with that experience, potentially get a job in the field, etc.? Would experience at a medical software company help or hinder these career plans, and how?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

What interviews I have had (engineering and non-engineering jobs), I've gotten positive feedback from the interviewers; and have only been turned down because "someone with more experience was selected".

I hate to call you out as an example, but take note lurkers: experience is key. That guy I mentioned with the lovely grades still had ~2 years worth of co-op experience, which is likely why they took a chance on him. For the love of whatever deity you do or don't believe in, use your summers for internships. On the good side, they might put you up somewhere across the country (free travel!), could be a in party house full of interns (if you so desire and your fellow interns aren't tools) and you'll get a sweet mentor + experience. On the bad side, the job might suck (re-tarring a factory roof for 3 months) but hey, experience.

That said, shoot me your current resume (my username at my username.org) and I'll see what I can do around here.

dxt posted:

Any good places in the twin cities, mn hiring EEs? I've been stuck in a contract job for the last year. Its a rolling contract deal (they want to hire me but corporate wont let them blah blah) so my job isn't going away, but I really need a real job with health insurance and vacation.

Emerson / Eaton, I have a friend that is a Sr. EE with them that just transferred to Eaton here in MI.

Earth posted:

Now that you have a basic background, on to my question. I'm interested in the possibility of working in/immigrating to another country. I'm not married anyone or to airplanes and would be fully willing to work on any system with my base knowledge of controls and test as long as the money and benefits (country benefits or company benefits) are good. Oil, mining, cars, trains, planes, whatever it doesn't matter what I do as long as it's engineering related and a bit challenging. Right now I have a contact in Montreal that I could pull to try to get a job there, and I've heard that Australia is booming for engineers. Both countries I'd be interested in living in.

So, what countries are doing well for engineers, and where does one go looking for information on jobs with regard to moving to a new country to work? I'm from the U.S. and I know how to ensure I have a job here, but other countries are a bit of a mystery to me, and the background information should show that I'm a top candidate in the U.S. and I think I'd be one internationally.

You don't care about security clearances and such? You definitely qualify as skilled trade / skilled person wrt to immigration laws, but I'm not sure if there's such a huge shortage of domestic engineers that a country would pay for your visas/permits/etc. Are there any huge things you've done that would make you a must-hire?

Pollyanna posted:

I attended that conference I mentioned earlier, and I think I figured out that I want to work in Bioinformatics. I was told that my design-based education, experimental/clinical experience, and background in programming and CS (specifically, image analysis and processing) would make me a great candidate for a career in the subject. Does anyone know what I would need to do to become competitive in Bioinformatics, find out who wants a BME with that experience, potentially get a job in the field, etc.? Would experience at a medical software company help or hinder these career plans, and how?

Experience would; I think getting some research in a bioinformatics lab would probably help (you're still an undergrad right? Or just finished?). Maybe teach yourself R as well, to list that on your resume as a bullet point. Or yeah, jumping at a medical software company that does bioinformatics would of course make you competitive for your later career.

e: Ha poo poo I just looked at your username after quoting; Earth, how's the glider coming along?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Found something better.

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 18, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

movax posted:

Experience would; I think getting some research in a bioinformatics lab would probably help (you're still an undergrad right? Or just finished?). Maybe teach yourself R as well, to list that on your resume as a bullet point. Or yeah, jumping at a medical software company that does bioinformatics would of course make you competitive for your later career.

I just graduated, yeah.

It's good to hear about the job, I was worried at first that it wouldn't help me get where I wanted to. I also picked up an R introduction book at the Cambridge exhibit, too, so I got me some swag :3:

Now that I've picked up the Bioinformatics buzzword, what's my next step? Is this something you go to grad school for? Where can I go to find out more about what I could do and what I'd need to learn? (don't say google)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Earth posted:

It's pretty loving frustrating, but coming along at the least. School is overwhelming as gently caress, too. I'm hoping to take a break though, and I'll be able to do trivia actually.

That's a good point about the country having a shortage of skilled labor to pull on or not. I know there are certain big projects where a country just doesn't have the number of people available to fulfill the needs. However, I know that France is out of the question because the government there laid off a friend of mine because he wasn't a citizen of France and they didn't want government subsidized work going to non-citizens. Even though it's impossible for there to actually be enough French citizens who have the skills needed to design and build large scale projects like the A380.

Basically, I'm looking for that kind of stuff, countries that have a need, private or government, and are willing to pull from other countries for that labor and skill set need. You are right in the fact that I haven't invented something outstanding, but if I did then why would I be interested in working in another country in the first place?

Yeah, I was thinking that if you say had experience at Boeing or someone similar, with security restrictions allowing, you could try to hit up Bombardier or Embraer or someone; perhaps those companies would find someone from top-tier American firms appealing. Kind of similar how to some countries hire Western ex-military personnel to teach their people a given trade, perhaps some countries just getting an indigenous industry started would like experienced Americans/etc to throw money at.

Pollyanna posted:

I just graduated, yeah.

It's good to hear about the job, I was worried at first that it wouldn't help me get where I wanted to. I also picked up an R introduction book at the Cambridge exhibit, too, so I got me some swag :3:

Now that I've picked up the Bioinformatics buzzword, what's my next step? Is this something you go to grad school for? Where can I go to find out more about what I could do and what I'd need to learn? (don't say google)

Well I'm a bit confused, this job you got isn't bioinformatics? Or is it something you're applying for? From what I've heard, a good deal of "bioinformatics" is happening in academia (research research research); there are some firms that hire for bioinformatics as well, but I imagine you'd essentially be a software developer that happens to have a biology background.

Are you looking for private employment, or research/academia? If you could get a research assistant/similar stipend to make a masters free/extremely cheap, grad school could be worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay list price for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

movax posted:

Well I'm a bit confused, this job you got isn't bioinformatics? Or is it something you're applying for? From what I've heard, a good deal of "bioinformatics" is happening in academia (research research research); there are some firms that hire for bioinformatics as well, but I imagine you'd essentially be a software developer that happens to have a biology background.

Are you looking for private employment, or research/academia? If you could get a research assistant/similar stipend to make a masters free/extremely cheap, grad school could be worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay list price for it.

I'm looking for private employment right now; I don't think grad school is the right choice for me right now. This is where I'd be working: https://www.meditech.com/ They are a medical software company, so it's at the very least related, isn't it?

I ended up much more on the design side than on the research side, so that might explain my view on things.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Anyone here work in controls or robotics? I'm planning to get my master's next year and trying to sort out where I want to focus.

PS If any EE wants to get a job instantly, learn PCB layout on a couple of tools (been doing it since graduation). Unemployed designers basically don't exist and the pay's decent. I got hired to do it out of school as an ME with little experience and not so much as a circuits course, so obviously there's not a whole lot of talent out there. Recruiters call me all the time and I'd probably accept if I had any interest in continuing in the field.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'm trying to apply to a job online and their lovely HR website doesn't take resumes in PDF...Do I really want to apply at a place that takes HTML but not PDF? :negative:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

resident posted:

I'm trying to apply to a job online and their lovely HR website doesn't take resumes in PDF...Do I really want to apply at a place that takes HTML but not PDF? :negative:
It's a test to ensure you're technically capable of conforming to the arbitrary mandatory standards you'd be subject to in any job.

Is it really that difficult to open word and save your resume as an html file?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

resident posted:

Send PDF resumes to people, but when submitting your resume to an online form that will be parsing it, you're best to use the .doc or even .txt format.

Someone posted an article in here a few months back about how HR/Recruiters software sees the resumes you submit. It is much easier for the software to parse out all the important stuff from your resume if it's in a text format. It's this software that they are using that is the real reason why they want certain file formats.

God help you if you submit a PDF that has, for some reason, text that is un-selectable.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

grover posted:

It's a test to ensure you're technically capable of conforming to the arbitrary mandatory standards you'd be subject to in any job.

Is it really that difficult to open word and save your resume as an html file?

I finished an MSEE so I'm definitely familiar with arbitrary standards. Completing the cover page spacing requirements of my thesis in MS Word was a degree worthy task in itself. Unfortunately my resume was done in photoshop which hasn't been a problem for me yet because I've only talked to headhunters/recruiters that take PDF and send it right to a hiring manager since I've been working full-time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

YF19: I felt like I was in the same drat boat as you. Niche market I had a degree for (and interest in), a lack of solid industry experience, and no real traction despite good interviews when I'd get em (very few compared to the hundreds of resumes I sent out). Eventually got a job through networking with a friend who was a fellow student for a while. If you're not, hit up your collegiate friends and acquaintances again. Even if you weren't great friends, so long as you're not considered a shitbag by them, if their company is in hiring mode (and SOME of them are bound to be) a personal recommendation is worth 50 online resume submissions.

10 months of searching, and it was one off-hand conversation that eventually yielded paydirt. Life's painful like that sometimes, just gotta laugh and keep at it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Anybody familiar with any decent quality DC air pump suppliers? I need to build a controllable pressure/vacuum chamber that will replicate Earth's atmospheric pressure range so it doesn't have to be super heavy duty but everything I'm seeing online looks like a POS that was designed to blow up a Wal-Mart air mattress.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

resident posted:

Anybody familiar with any decent quality DC air pump suppliers? I need to build a controllable pressure/vacuum chamber that will replicate Earth's atmospheric pressure range so it doesn't have to be super heavy duty but everything I'm seeing online looks like a POS that was designed to blow up a Wal-Mart air mattress.

Harbor Freight to the rescue!
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html
I haven't used this one, I use more expensive pumps at work and it seems like it should be fine for what you need. Not sure of any options really any cheaper beyond a used model but who the heck sells used vacuum pumps.

Although I guess you would have to watch out if your chamber couldn't support the final vacuum that can be pulled by the pump.

or if you have an air compressor you could use this guy:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 30, 2012

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Pollyanna posted:

I did bioinformatics for an academic lab for about two years. Are you interested in research? Academia? Commercial development?

What you should do will probably depend on where you want to end up. Pretty much all programming experience makes you a good candidate for bioinformatics. The actual work probably has a lot more statistics than CS which is a lot of what people learn in grad school. Graduate degrees are the norm for the field.

If you want to actually work independently on your own research interest then you basically have to get a PhD. A lot of scientists still view bioinformaticists as a support role so you may be annoyed by that. Things are constantly changing (like, more than regular CS jobs) so a skill set you learn right now will require a lot of learning in order to keep up with the field.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) less than "normal" software developer salary means there's pretty much always going to be a demand. If for some reason you feel like no longer making scads of cash, getting into grad school should be easy and you will probably make 20-30k while getting your degree by working for PIs.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is getting a Phd in EE useful if you don't want to work in academia? I'm in the power industry right now but I'm not married to it. I should have my MEng done in a couple of semesters.

My goal would be to do more interesting technical work and to make more money. I've spoken to a professor at school about it and he said you can expect to finish in 3 years (after the MEng) if you are motivated. I'm just not sure what the job market looks like.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would say that depends on if you like what research you are doing now for your MEng. If you live for the research you're doing now, and think developing it (because at the PhD level you're practically defining your segment of the industry) would help you achieve the "more interesting" work and/or improve the money part, then yes. If neither is true, then you're surely better off with developing your other skills and going into a consulting role where you can pick and choose your interests and will make more money.

Personally, I enjoyed my master's research in EE (radar signal processing) but the thought of staying in academia and developing my thesis work for another 3-4 years made me sick. This is true even with offers of going to different institutions and working with different profs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is getting a Phd in EE useful if you don't want to work in academia? I'm in the power industry right now but I'm not married to it. I should have my MEng done in a couple of semesters.

My goal would be to do more interesting technical work and to make more money. I've spoken to a professor at school about it and he said you can expect to finish in 3 years (after the MEng) if you are motivated. I'm just not sure what the job market looks like.

I don't think so, to be quite honest. At my jobs so far, haven't had many PhDs, and the ones that were had been at the company for decades. A masters turns into subject-matter-expert/technical expert and is totally desirable (at the right point in your career / experience-wise of course) though.

That said, I've thought about it for myself, because I truly love the field, but I've realized it's just me wanting the title. Years of my life focused on one little problem subject to the whims of an academic department? Think I'd rather pick up a masters or two in areas I'm interested in.

That said, I think you need the MS/PhD for the real insane/halo jobs in EE. Being a guy at Intel or Nvidia with job titles like "ASIC Architect" or "Process Architect/Engineer/Scientist" and developing manufacturing processes for ICs, I imagine you have to be absolutely stunning in your field.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I am one of those who thinks upper level for engineering is generally stupid as engineers make so much money in the field. That said, for EEs doing RF/microwave I can't imagine having a good understanding of the subject WITHOUT one. FWIW I do mechanical research at UCF (undergrad) and is someone was to get a PhD in the field I research Id think they were pretty dumb. You can learn it in the field and an internship in undergrad in that field or doing research will get you hired pretty easily.

I think pretty much every mechanical engineer would be WAY better off both job prospect and engineer quality wise spending $2000 total on machinist school than $3000/semester on an MS or PhD

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Uhhh CFD and structural would like a word with you. Since you're undergrad you probably haven't seen what high level grad classes look like, but they are more geared toward making you a subject matter expert. If you want to do the really cool high paying aerospace jobs you need an MS at least if not a PhD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Apprentice Dick posted:

Uhhh CFD and structural would like a word with you. Since you're undergrad you probably haven't seen what high level grad classes look like, but they are more geared toward making you a subject matter expert. If you want to do the really cool high paying aerospace jobs you need an MS at least if not a PhD.

What's the "expected" path though? BS -> work for 2-3 years -> get MS/PhD -> return to work as subject matter god? I imagine a person that does that has better career prospects (and to be quite honest will probably be a better engineer and employee) than someone who goes BS -> MS/PhD with little to no work experience.

The latter's probably fine if all you want to do is play around in a lab, but even then, having real, tangible work experience is a net plus. Even if it's just socializing you as you would a puppy or something. Lot of uh, personalities in academia.