Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaggyJagJag
Mar 14, 2006
Targaryens are the legitimate dynasts.

DarkCrawler posted:

Carthage. :allears: Man, I wonder what the world would be like today if they had won. We'd speak some wierd-rear end languages, that's for sure.

If I had a time machine, I'd go be Hannibal's prophet just to see what a world like this would look like. I imagine the American continent would have been discovered at least 500 years earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Rincewind posted:

Can anybody talk about the decline of Latin in the Eastern Roman Empire? I mean, I know the broad strokes of it (Greek was always spoken throughout the entire Roman Empire even though Latin was the language of administration and government, Justinian was the last native Latin speaker to reign as Emperor, etc.) but I'd still like to know more. Were there still native Latin-speaking populations after Justinian? Was Latin still used in some contexts like it was in medieval Western Europe? What about the Exarchate of Ravenna?

The Byzantines always have a great need for Latin, but no real love for it. Foreign interpreters are relied upon heavily, but Greek will still be used whenever possible (such as in a situation where a foreign envoy has taken the time to learn it). One must remember that the Byzantines are entirely convinced of their superiority to other Christian peoples, and their Hellenistic culture, in contrast to the chiefly Latin west, is a central part of that. Courtiers love to drop in allusions to someone like Homer, and writers to those such as Thucydides and Plutarch, but no one cares for Virgil, Seneca and the like. The earliest evidence we have of Byzantines making concerted attempts to learn Latin and put it to use, for diplomacy and in translating literature, comes from the thirteenth century.

One area where the influence of Latin does persist is in coinage. Even after Greek becomes the official language of the empire, words appearing on coins will still sometimes feature Latin letters in the place of Greek ones. Here's an example:

Here, the first letter of Constantine IX's name is a 'C' rather than a Greek kappa, and the majuscule form of sigma (which at this time is 'C' - confused? I sure was) is a very Latin 'S.' This is a tradition that persists up to the late eleventh century.

Veeta fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 20, 2012

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
So what was the alcohol content of Roman wine? As I understand, almost everyone (rich and poor) watered down their wine; a lot of drinking games worked this way. Was it just because mulsum had too strong a taste?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

QCIC posted:

So what was the alcohol content of Roman wine? As I understand, almost everyone (rich and poor) watered down their wine; a lot of drinking games worked this way. Was it just because mulsum had too strong a taste?

I believe it was mentioned before that Roman wine was sold in concentrated form, which is why they added some water before consuming it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

UberJew posted:

It's dignified specifically because for the longest time we figures that was what the Romans did. Hence all the US government buildings and capitals.

One of the most closely guarded secrets among the scholars of Roman history is that Julius Caesar was half Nubian.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

furushotakeru posted:

I believe it was mentioned before that Roman wine was sold in concentrated form, which is why they added some water before consuming it.

Concentrating probably helped the shelf life. Another wine thing, when it turned vinegary it was mixed with herbs and probably honey, and called posca. This was popular among soldiers, as you can imagine if you're besieging a city for a year your wine supply probably is going to go off, so it became a thing. Also didn't get the soldiers as wasted so generals liked it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JaggyJagJag posted:

If I had a time machine, I'd go be Hannibal's prophet just to see what a world like this would look like. I imagine the American continent would have been discovered at least 500 years earlier.

Them Carthaginians sure liked to sail.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Nenonen posted:

One of the most closely guarded secrets among the scholars of Roman history is that Julius Caesar was half Nubian.

:crossarms: Source?

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

freerepublic.com has all the information you need on the Numidian menace threatening our civic virtue. You should register an account and support our legions in Mesopotamia as they prepare for the war against Persia.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Ceasar was a secret Kemetic*. Don't listen to the lies of the populist orators!

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_religion

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 21, 2012

Prons
Oct 11, 2012

Chick Magnet.
Are there any surviving records of any Roman horror stories/urban legends? Was there a roman big foot?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Prons posted:

Are there any surviving records of any Roman horror stories/urban legends? Was there a roman big foot?

Well, I'm pretty sure more then one Roman mother told their kids to eat their beets and go sleep early or Hannibal would come and go all Cannae on them, does that count?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Prons posted:

I mean there're ghosts in Pliny, and plenty of witches in popular and literary culture both. I think there's even a werewolf in Petronius. In terms of lit that remains, anyway, I don't think they had a genre of horror stories. Probably some folktales were pretty scary though.

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Can't think if I've ever seen "Latin" written in Greek though it must have been.

Dositheus Magister (4th century CE, in Rome) has 'Ῥωμαϊκή.' And he and Plutarch have adverbial 'Ῥωμαϊστί.'

edit: continuing the greek/latin relations thing, Dositheus Magister's grammar is kind of interesting for having a really early phrasebook attached.
http://books.google.com/books?id=UlUiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA89

ptk fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 21, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He was born in Ethiopia. Where's the long form birth certificate, Gaius? IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME :colbert:

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
The real test of whether we are still biased against Marians is if he can get through his term without being assassinated.

Here's a question, what were the main industries of the Gallic provinces? I'm assuming the light scratch plow was pretty much as bad for French soil as for Germany's, wine was limited in practice to a certain latitude (let's say north of Stuttgart/Alsace) and I don't know of any major precious metal deposits. Cattle? Iron? Subsistence farming and Latin tutors?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Troubadour posted:

The real test of whether we are still biased against Marians is if he can get through his term without being assassinated.

Here's a question, what were the main industries of the Gallic provinces? I'm assuming the light scratch plow was pretty much as bad for French soil as for Germany's, wine was limited in practice to a certain latitude (let's say north of Stuttgart/Alsace) and I don't know of any major precious metal deposits. Cattle? Iron? Subsistence farming and Latin tutors?

I believe there was a thriving Pottery industry and also I want to say... gravel?

The History of Rome podcast has an episode that lists all the provinces and what they did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wine production was started in southern France by the Greeks hundreds of years before the Romans fought their way out of Latium. Gaul produced a lot of grapes.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Weren't the Guals pretty skilled in iron working?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Troubadour posted:

Read as Martians. Disappointed :(

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Well, according to his family tree he was a Venusian...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I know this has probably been brought up, but what was the relationship between Rome and the fringe territories of its empire like? How much control did it hold over them, and how much "Rome" seeped into them, how much influence did Roman culture have on them? Has Roman legacy in these areas survived? Has there simply not been enough archaeological research in these areas to have an accurate picture?

By "fringe territories" I mean Colchis, the Caucasus, the Atlantic shore of Mauritania, Mesopotamia and so on.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Eggplant Witch posted:

I think there's even a werewolf in Petronius.

A werewolf and a couple of ghosts, yep. One of the ghosts may have been a revenant; it's been a while since I read it and I don't have it to hand.

Fun fact: the werewolf story in Petronius contains a Latin hapax legomenon (that is, the word appears only once in the entire classical Latin corpus) - the word circumminxit, which means "he pissed in a circle around (a thing)". In this case, the werewolf has taken off his clothing pre-transformation, and is pissing in a circle around them to turn them to stone so they'll be safe while he turns into a wolf and ravages the countryside.

Circa and mingere, separately, are obviously well-attested.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
Latin has a lot of cool words about stuff. English does too I guess. Maybe in 2,000 years a future goon-type will be posting about the word "skullfucked" or "cockmonger".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Weren't the Guals pretty skilled in iron working?

Yeah, they were better than the Romans at first. Especially with armor, the standard Roman mail armor was copied from Gaul. Farming was always a big deal everywhere, wine too.

YF-23 posted:

I know this has probably been brought up, but what was the relationship between Rome and the fringe territories of its empire like? How much control did it hold over them, and how much "Rome" seeped into them, how much influence did Roman culture have on them? Has Roman legacy in these areas survived? Has there simply not been enough archaeological research in these areas to have an accurate picture?

By "fringe territories" I mean Colchis, the Caucasus, the Atlantic shore of Mauritania, Mesopotamia and so on.

Rome liked to maintain some control over all the border areas as a defensive thing. Most of the border kingdoms were on more or less friendly terms with Rome and had to do what Rome said if they didn't want legions showing up to kick their poo poo in. This, obviously, did happen from time to time. I'd say that in general the neighboring kingdoms benefited from Roman trade and not being invaded so they didn't cause a lot of trouble, but Rome was also notorious for being friendly with neighbors and then coming up with some bullshit reason to conquer them in "self-defense".

Roman culture went everywhere. The only place I really know about is Armenia, which was constantly in the Roman orbit as an ally/client kingdom but only a province for four years. Even then, there are still Roman ruins there. Example:

Mesopotamia was always more under Persian control, the Roman presence there was brief. Colchis was a standard Roman border area, heavily fortified and constantly being used as a base for trouble in Armenia or Parthia. There wasn't much on the Atlantic coast as far as I know, trade outposts and places to pick up supplies on the way to the Canary Islands maybe. I don't think there's ever been any real exploration of the area.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

When did the Byzantine nobility start changing their names from, for example Claudius and Florentinus to Peter and Paul? How did the cultural progression from Roman to Greek go?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman%96Persian_Wars

Jeez, I never realized exactly how much Persians/Parthians/Sassanids and Romans fought against eachother. 719 freaking years. Makes some other historical rivalries look like nothing. And in the end it hosed over them both.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Grand Fromage posted:

Roman culture went everywhere. The only place I really know about is Armenia, which was constantly in the Roman orbit as an ally/client kingdom but only a province for four years. Even then, there are still Roman ruins there. Example:

I have to ask, where did the building material come from?
Don't tell me it's Italian marble dragged into Armenian territory. I mean sure they could have transported it by ship across the Black Sea but there's still some seriously mountainous terrain to overcome.

And how does marble hold up the the constant freeze-thaw cycles?

Edit: looking closer at the pic I see it's being partially reconstructed, but still looks like it's in amazing good shape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No idea. There's probably local marble, but it's not at all ridiculous that it might be Italian. They transported marble all over, it was a status thing. There's a theater at Pompeii that has a multicolored marble floor, and each color comes from a different part of the empire. Yellow from Africa, blue from... I think Greece or Turkey, white from Italy, pink from Spain or something if I remember right. Anyway, totally possible.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Mr Havafap posted:

And how does marble hold up the the constant freeze-thaw cycles?

IIRC, marble resists weathering very well because of it's crystalline structure and it's just less porous than most other stone used for construction, so water can't get into it. In fact, I think they used marble as the layer at water level in Venice because of that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Since we're talking about building materials, did any ancient civilisations extensively use granite in architecture? I don't think I've ever seen a granite ruin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Egyptians used granite extensively. Some of their pyramids are made of granite.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Yep, the quarries of Aswan are particularly famous.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

euphronius posted:

The Egyptians used granite extensively. Some of their pyramids are made of granite.

A lot of the obelisks too, including most of the ones that are in Rome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

rockchat2012

Structurally I'd say brick and concrete were the most common Roman materials (and wood obviously but who cares about wood). Marble was primarily used as a facade, though there is solid marble construction too.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
And did the Romans do any gilding? They seemed to store most of their gold in temples anyhow.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grand Fromage posted:

rockchat2012

Structurally I'd say brick and concrete were the most common Roman materials (and wood obviously but who cares about wood). Marble was primarily used as a facade, though there is solid marble construction too.

But they had so many KINDS of concrete!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

QCIC posted:

And did the Romans do any gilding? They seemed to store most of their gold in temples anyhow.

poo poo yeah. They gilded everything. Everything!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So we're coming up to the... 1700th anniversary (?) of the Battle of the Milvian Bridge on the 28th. Seems like only yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Great thread Grand Fromage! I've just now caught up to the present page.

Did Romans wear togas? What do we know about Roman fashion?
I've got this pastoral image of Roman plebs, legionnaires, and socialites alike wearing togas for hundreds of years. Alright, maybe cloaks for winter or something.