Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Aureon posted:

Scientists should be much more involved in politics, even if they shouldn't become partisan.
In US, since the current main attitudes to science are "Meh, good i guess" and "Source of all evil and pit of all lies", being partisan would probably be a consequence, but still.

Research scientists have a hard time getting funded and getting on the political radar is generally bad news (google the "Superconducting Super Collider" for one example, although that project also had major cost problems). I can only imagine the defunding risk becomes greater for scientific fields related to politically contentious issues like climate change or the environment.

The American Physical Society does in fact have a position on the reality of climate change:
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/07_1.cfm
although I doubt you'll see much political agitation from its members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Guigui posted:

Is this not a good thing (somewhat) that the scientific community remains outside the political sphere? If there is one thing that Carl Sagan and David Suzuki imprinted on me through their books; it's that science isn't a good thing - nor is it a bad thing - it just "is". If policy-changing discoveries are found by using the methods of science, well, that is up to our elected officials to debate.

(I like it that the scientific community remains un-attached to the political sphere - because that tends to give them a lot more credibility when calling out the government when a policy decision goes against a scientific discovery. That being said; it would be wonderful if our elected officials had a bigger background in science. I wonder if part of the reason Margaret Thatcher threw her support on working a ban on CFC production was because she used to be a chemist?).

I feel like politics (particularly at the national-level) is dominated entirely by moneyed interests and ideologues who have no use for science and empirical facts except when they can be twisted to conform to their political worldview. It's not that I think scientists should play partisan roles, in fact I think that's the root of the problem. Scientists are stereotyped as ivory-tower liberal atheist elitists, which makes them easy for the right to slander and ignore when convenient. Honestly, that stereotyping of scientists as liberal atheists is really pretty accurate (demonstrably and empirically so), but should have no (or very little) bearing on the perception of the quality and conclusions of their research.

I'd love to have a discussion about public funding of science.
The annual budget of the National Science Foundation is ~$7 billion, which is pretty laughable, really. If I'm a reputable, established scientist, I can spend a fair chunk of time and money (several tens of thousands of dollars minimum, in my field) generating preliminary data for a grant proposal to the NSF. Upon submission of that proposal (which I can do yearly or twice, depending on the NSF section) it is reviewed in a two-tiered peer-review process mediated by NSF section managers who are themselves professional scientists within my discipline (NOT politicians and career bureaucrats, the NSF is run by scientists). I have a 5-10% chance of having my grant funded, typically at a level significantly less than in the proposed grant budget. Once the money is dispensed, the funded research program is very tightly monitored and quality-controlled by both the NSF and the awarded institution (university or whatever).

It's really loving hard to get NSF money. Of course, there are other sources of gov't funding that are more discipline-specific. For my field of oceanography, I could potentially get dollars from NOAA, NASA, and possibly the DOE, DOD, or USGS. However, every ingredient in that alphabet soup (other than the NSF) is a mission agency. That is, they're focused either on applied research with specific practical goals and applications (DOE, DOD) or only fund research which narrowly fits their chartered mission statement (NOAA, NASA, USGS). Those are not at all bad things, but the NSF is really the only big gov't funding source for basic/pure research, and it's absurdly competitive (a good thing) to win the very limited (bad thing) NSF funding.

Anyway... discuss :) That was probably rather scattered.

Edit: holy gently caress I love parentheses, apparently. Heh.

One thing I forgot to mention that might be a common misconception is that universities do NOT fund research in any meaningful way, at least in the US. Quite the opposite, in fact. Universities and affiliated research institutions actually take a big fat cut of any incoming grant money as overhead. 50-60% is a typical overhead percentage, at my university it's 62%. Graduate students, laboratory technicians, and professors (to varying degrees) have their salaries and benefits paid for from grants. It's not underhanded at all and the overhead is a line item calculation in grant budget proposals. Need $100k for your research? You'll have to submit a grant application for $162k so the university gets it cut for overhead!

Anyway, my point is that gov't entities, private foundations, and industry fund scientific research, not universities. They derive a fat chunk of income from their researcher's incoming grant funding.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2012

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Pellisworth posted:

One thing I forgot to mention that might be a common misconception is that universities do NOT fund research in any meaningful way, at least in the US. Quite the opposite, in fact. Universities and affiliated research institutions actually take a big fat cut of any incoming grant money as overhead. 50-60% is a typical overhead percentage, at my university it's 62%. Graduate students, laboratory technicians, and professors (to varying degrees) have their salaries and benefits paid for from grants. It's not underhanded at all and the overhead is a line item calculation in grant budget proposals. Need $100k for your research? You'll have to submit a grant application for $162k so the university gets it cut for overhead!

Anyway, my point is that gov't entities, private foundations, and industry fund scientific research, not universities. They derive a fat chunk of income from their researcher's incoming grant funding.

I'm not sure if you mean that the university takes a 62% cut, which would imply a $263k grant to get 100k to go to the project, or a 38% cut (62% retention), which would imply your ~$162k. There's a pretty significant difference between the two. I'm somewhat curious what grad program finances are like, so please clarify.

To the topic of the discussion: I don't anticipate scientific involvement in politics being particularly useful to society as a whole. In the system as it is, the laymen public can barely decide who to believe. When most scientists can be assumed to have an agenda besides discovering the truth, how can an individual know who to trust? It undermines the entire scientific process. As least in the current system, we can rely on the fact that dishonest actors (currently) do not have the resources to control the scientific consensus. For now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wolfy posted:

Hell and high water. I like that. I mean I don't like that, but I like it. God we are so hosed. Nobody is ever going to listen, are they?

Read the thread title

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eyes Only posted:

I'm not sure if you mean that the university takes a 62% cut, which would imply a $263k grant to get 100k to go to the project, or a 38% cut (62% retention), which would imply your ~$162k. There's a pretty significant difference between the two. I'm somewhat curious what grad program finances are like, so please clarify.

It would be the latter; let me give a practical example. In the second year of our PhD program we're required to take a proposal-writing class, from which most of my knowledge of the subject comes. I'll give a simple example of an NSF grant budget.

Most grants are for a 3-year time frame. Let's say I want $75k to buy a gas chromatograph (GC) to measure CO2 concentrations and $25k for laboratory supplies. Permanent equipment over $50k (I think that's the number) is the only material cost not subject to overhead, but the $25k in supplies will be.

Next, I have the meat of the budget: salaries, and they do indeed get charged overhead. I'm not understand why that is, logically. Professors are usually either "soft" or "hard" money, referring to the proportion of their salaries they derive from grant funding. Soft money is usually at research institutions where the scientist is going to be doing research essentially 100% of the time, and means they must derive their entire salary from grants. This, as you might imagine, is incredibly stressful since you're forced to continuously win and manage enough grants to support your entire income. Only the most competitive, driven researchers can handle being on soft money.

Hard money is the more common setup and sort of analogous to K-12 teachers; scientists on hard money have their school year salary (9mo) paid by the university since they'll be teaching and providing other services to the university, but must derive their 3mo summer salary from grant money.

Anyway, let's say I want this grant to be the thesis project for my PhD student, who will be a TA half of the time and be supported 6mo/year for 3 years on the grant. I'll also need 3mo/year for some of my lab technician's time (who despite being a university employee is paid entirely through my grants) and I'll take 1mo of summer salary for myself for the time spend directing/managing this project.

In addition to equipment and salaries, I'll need a couple grand toward travel to present the results of the research at scientific conferences and a grand or so for publication costs. I also should budget a few thousand for educational and community outreach (which is taken very seriously and a solid outreach program is necessary to get NSF funding). I don't remember if these items get charged overhead but it's chump change relative to the rest of the budget so whatever.

Summing up:
Permanent equipment = $75k (no overhead)
$25k in supplies plus overhead = $40.5k
6mo salary for a grad student for 3 years @$25k/year plus overhead = $60.75k
3mo salary for a lab technician for 3 years @$50k/year plus benefits and overhead = $68.25k
1mo salary for Dr. Me at $80k/year plus benefits and overhead = $36.4k
Travel costs = $3k
Publication costs = $1k
Educational outreach = $6k

For a grand total of $291k, of which ~25% goes to the university. I just threw that example together, in reality NSF grant budgets for my field are usually $500-700k over three years, so this is a small project. Additionally, the NSF is unlikely to hand me $75k for the permanent equipment without extremely good justification for why I need that instrument since I'll continue to get use out of it for many years and for projects beyond the scope of this grant. The 25% chunk the university takes is low, it usually ends up being about a third.

Lest any taxpayers be concerned about their NSF dollars going to waste, NSF grants are very tightly monitored by both the program managers at the NSF itself and administrators at the grantee university. It's very obviously in the best interests of the university to make sure the money gets spent as efficiently and productively as possible so they can continue to pull down grants and take their fat cut. As the lead researcher I have to submit periodic (6mo or a year) updates on the progress of the project, and once it's all over I have to give a summary of the publications and results produced. If a researcher is ever caught wasting funds or fails to produce, they get shitlisted and will never again receive NSF or probably other gov't money.

Additionally, grants are rarely funded at the proposed level. If your proposal gets funded, you'll get a call from the NSF program manager saying "hey we really liked your proposal and think it shows great potential, could you do it for 2/3 costs? 80% cost? No? Oh, well, here's 80% of the money you requested, try again next year for a supplement." At which point you're now expected to do all the proposed work for 80% of the budget and pray you can convince the NSF to give you a little more for the project in a supplemental proposal in a year or two.

tl;dr My take home point is that contrary to what a lot of people I've met assume, universities don't usually pay for research themselves, in fact they derive a major major share of their income from overhead charged on the grants their scientists receive from the gov't and private foundations.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 20, 2012

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Painkiller posted:

Welp.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oct/15/pacific-iron-fertilisation-geoengineering

What a mess. Russ George has been involved with cold fusion schemes in the past, so I doubt there will be any useful data coming out of this. Hopefully the Canadians catch up with him and sort him out.

Hahahaha.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oct/17/canada-geoengineering-pacific?intcmp=122

My country's current government is awful.

Captain Hindsight
Jan 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwxl_-DHqKo :getin:

Captain Hindsight fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 21, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

On this topic, 'Radio Ecoshock' (who I have never heard of before) have done a show (with transcript) that appears to go into this issue and Russ George's motivations a bit more. I'll be honest, I haven't had time to read through the transcript yet but here's a choice quote from the end:

quote:

Saying the ocean is dying, George tells us humans must take over these last wild places on Earth. We'll convert the open ocean into "pastures" like agribusiness on the seas, farming plankton and the fish. We'll dump iron every year. I'm thinking maybe we'll introduce new genetically modified species, who knows? The dying ocean is ours to play with and command.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I have been somewhat following this thread on and off, and figured I could make a minor contribution. Recently Frontline had an excellent documentary on the effort by conservative groups to shift public perception on climate change. The whole piece is online at the following address.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/climate-of-doubt/

It is very interesting and a horribly depressing if you have any hope for the United States to implement meaningful climate policy.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Urban bi-coastal elite....holy poo poo go gently caress yourself, Myron.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Wolfy posted:

Urban bi-coastal elite....holy poo poo go gently caress yourself, Myron.

The real difference between the two camps isn't geography, but long-term social welfare vs. quick monetary gains at any cost. Saying that wanting safeguard the very systems and resources that support their golden cow of industry is elitism just proves how little they care about anything beyond the next election cycle or even the next closing bell for the DOW.

So yeah, go gently caress yourself Myron, indeed. Worrying about the welfare of people beyond yourself and industrial stocks isn't elitism. I'd call it the exact opposite.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Watching these smarmy shits on Frontline makes me seriously wonder how many lives would be saved if they were to die.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Not enough.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have been somewhat following this thread on and off, and figured I could make a minor contribution. Recently Frontline had an excellent documentary on the effort by conservative groups to shift public perception on climate change. The whole piece is online at the following address.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/climate-of-doubt/

It is very interesting and a horribly depressing if you have any hope for the United States to implement meaningful climate policy.

'Lord' Christopher Monckton, lolz (he is not really a member of the House of Lords - not that anyone should wish to be anyway - and basically fabricated most of his alleged political career. It's easy to lie about being Thatcher's scientific advisor when she's dead, I guess).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbW-aHvjOgM

This video series by Peter Hadfield is an excellent & entertaining expose of his bullshit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Ender posted:

It's easy to lie about being Thatcher's scientific advisor when she's dead, I guess

Since when has the lich been dead?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Since when has the lich been dead?

Yeesh, my bad; I must've been thinking of Denis Thatcher.

Holy gently caress, I can't believe that bitch has lived past her 80th birthday.

EDIT:

quote:

After collapsing at a House of Lords dinner, Thatcher was admitted to St Thomas' Hospital in central London on 7 March 2008 for tests.[208] Her daughter Carol has recounted how she was first struck by her mother's dementia when she muddled the Falklands conflict with the Yugoslav wars; she has also recalled the pain of needing to tell her mother repeatedly that Denis Thatcher was dead.

olololol

Gee whiz, another right wing politician proves to be a total Alzheimer's basket case. I AM SO SURPRISED.

The Ender fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 29, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's what you get by bathing in the blood of homeless children every day for 11 years.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Ender posted:

'Lord' Christopher Monckton, lolz (he is not really a member of the House of Lords - not that anyone should wish to be anyway - and basically fabricated most of his alleged political career. It's easy to lie about being Thatcher's scientific advisor when she's dead, I guess).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbW-aHvjOgM

This video series by Peter Hadfield is an excellent & entertaining expose of his bullshit.

He's often portrayed in the press here in australia as a "Mathematician". His entire academic qualifications are a bachelor in journalism, and has never published a paper in his life. Meanwhile my housemate who is a postgrad qualified actual IRL mathematician, with a number of published papers refuses to call himself that until he's had "a significantly higher number of published papers". Needless to say, he finds monkton assuming that title insulting as hell.

I gave him monktons open letter to Rudd filled with bogomathematical nomenclature asking him to interpret for me. After reading it for 5 minutes he gave it back to me and said "Your lacan books use mathematical concepts more competently than this. I would fail a high schooler using statistics so poorly.".

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
This thread needs a serious shot in the arm.

quote:

Craig Dilworth writes "From a biological/ecological point of view, the growth of the human population can be likened to that of lemming populations prior to their periodic migrations. Such a rate of growth is unprecedented in any large animal species.....The human population is 'swarming'. We are behaving like an r-selected species.....Key to this whole process is our constantly meeting vital needs through the application of new forms of technology to both renewable and non-renewable resources, combined with the fact that there have to date always existed resources amenable to that development....If technological development were truly an aid to the survival of the human species, it would not have led to the elimination of a significant part of the population's resource base, only to have replaced by an inferior substitute. There is something wrong with the development of technology in the hands of humans...."

Question. Why the hell was "T" inserted in the "IPAT" equation? And why do environmentalists still believe that technology "minimizes" the total human footprint, when in fact, as Jevons, Khazoom, Brookes and Dilworth have shown, it INCREASES it?

In my book Too Smart for Our Own Good, I present an ecological theory intended to explain human evolution and development, and I apply that theory to all major aspects of our actual evo-lution and development over the past 7 million years. In this paper, I shall summarise the treat-ment that population growth in particular receives in Too Smart.

The most fundamental determinants of a population’s behaviour are its species’ instincts. These instincts evolve with the species; and the species’ environment at the time the species first comes into existence is probably the one best suited to the species. It is on the basis of its instinctual behaviour that a species avoids extinction. When operating properly, instincts see to it that the species’ population stays in dynamic equilibrium with the other physical and biological systems making up its surroundings. Doing this will mean the species’ populations’ not becoming either too small or too large.

The earlier in a species’ evolution a type of instinct appears, the more basic instincts of that type are. Along these lines I distinguish three kinds of instinct: survival, sexual and social. The more sophisticated the species, the greater the number and sophistication of its instincts.

The most primitive instincts are the survival, which exist in all animals, and include consuming food, and avoiding being consumed. The ‘fight or flight’ response falls under the survival instincts.

Next are the sexual instincts, found in all sexually reproducing animals, first among them being to impregnate or get impregnated. In more-developed species they include the maternal and other parental instincts. The influence of parental instincts increases with the relative brain size of the members of the species, since infants will be progressively less mature when born and thus need more care. Both the survival and sexual instincts support the individual’s gene line (its genetic fitness); and it is in the context of sexual instincts in particular that individual territoriality arises.

Virtually all animals have individual territories, but social animals are characterised by having group territories. Social instincts arise in conjunction with group territory, and include those manifest in supporting one’s group by e.g. defending it against attack from other groups of the same species, or by killing one’s own offspring in times of overpopulation. Similar instincts exist in non-social animals, as manifest e.g. in lemming migrations and guppy cannibalism. Social species include primates, amongst whom group territoriality is manifest in combative behaviour between groups, keeping them apart, while individual territoriality is manifest as combative behaviour among males within the group, which works towards the determination of the group’s power structure and smooth organisation.

A general demarcation between more and less sophisticated species is recognised in the difference between r-selected and K-selected species. K-selected species are more sophisticated than are r-selected, and include most mammals and other animals that care for their young; r-selected species include e.g. insects and other classes whose members live less than a year. In being more primitive, r-selected species have only survival and sexual instincts, while some K-selected spe-cies have social instincts as well.

The instinct in K-selected species to acquire and protect individual territory is nevertheless more basic than that concerning group territory, since social species were preceded evolutionarily by non-social species. All social instincts are evolved from lower-level instincts (particularly sexual), just as all sexual instincts are evolved from survival instincts. For any social species however, groups must exist if the species is to exist, and social instincts are needed to support the gene line of the group in particular.

All three sorts of instinct exist so as to support the continuing existence of the species. Ultimately animals do not try to preserve their own lives ‘for the sake of’ their genetic fitness, but because through supporting their genetic fitness they are at the same time supporting the continu-ing existence of their species. The existence of the species is a precondition for the existence of its members, and the species’ survival takes precedence over the survival of individuals.

In most cases these three types of instinct work in concert. But in certain situations there can arise a ‘conflict of interest’ among them. In such a case the more-basic instincts have a tendency to override the less-basic (e.g. hunger takes precedence over the sexual drive), a phenomenon which, if it persists too far, can lead to disequilibrium and the demise of the species. In this re-gard, the social instincts differ from the survival and sexual instincts in that they may support the species’ existence at the expense of particular individuals’ gene lines, at least in the short term. Thus there can arise situations in which an individual’s supporting its own genetic fitness (sexual instincts) can reduce the fitness of the species – such as when a pair rears more than a replace-ment number of offspring in an overpopulated group. Infanticide, for example, is the result of the operation of a social instinct that helps maintain the health of the group. It is here, in the context of the manifestation of social instincts, that altruism and morals come into existence.

As regards human social instincts I cite Darwin:

We have now seen that actions are regarded by savages, and were probably so regarded by primeval man, as good or bad, solely as they obviously affect the welfare of the tribe. This conclusion agrees well with the belief that the so-called moral sense is aboriginally derived from the social instincts, for both relate at first exclusively to the community. (1874), p. 123.

And:

[T]he social instincts which no doubt are acquired by man as by the lower animals for the good of the community, will from the first have given him some wish to aid his fellows, some feeling of sympathy, and have compelled him to regard their approbation and disapprobation. Such impulses will have served him at a very early period as a rude rule of right and wrong. (1874), p. 128.

The modern-human chromosomal structure or karyotype is such that it supported the continued existence of our species given the conditions when the species first came into existence, i.e. given the state of the physical and biological systems with which we interacted in Africa 200,000 years ago. As the subsequent development of our species has made clear, a central aspect of the human karyotype which allowed us to survive was the plasticity of behaviour it implied. In other words, the human karyotype, to a much greater extent than those of other organisms, favoured learning over instinct. This proclivity for learning provided us with a great ‘advantage’ over other species, both competitors and prey. Given our intellectual endowment, that the total population of the human species would become too small was not a problem; but that it would become too large certainly was.

What limits the growth of a population, preventing disequilibrium due to overpopulation, are various sorts of check. The most fundamental of these are external checks, though physically internal checks such as bodily aging are also fundamental. External checks stem from outside the population, and are typical of r-selected species. They can take the form of a limit of some kind – e.g. of food or breeding sites; or they can take the form of disease, or predators.

Malthus’ principle of population tells us that populations have a tendency to grow through the procreation of individuals beyond replacement level. This principle applies straightforwardly to r-selected species. Their populations have a constant tendency to grow, and are stopped by external checks.

Looking at population growth from a systems point of view, we can say that the population sizes of almost all species constantly vacillate about a mean, increasing and decreasing in cycles. As the population grows, its food consumption increases, which, unless some other check comes into play first, eventually leads to the population’s experiencing scarcity. This in turn necessitates reduced consumption, which leads to a reduction in the size of the population – paradigmatically through an increase in infant mortality – allowing the resource to recover. Such populations as continue indefinitely in this way are systems in equilibrium.

Whether systems in equilibrium grow or shrink largely depends on the availability of food and breeding sites and the prevalence of predators. But all species, to continue to exist, must maintain equilibrium with their surroundings. This means that in order to survive, a species’ total popula-tion must not become so large that, for example, it eliminates the species’ source of food, nor so small that, e.g., there is inbreeding. If equilibrium is not maintained, i.e. if the population grows or shrinks beyond certain limits, the species will go extinct.

In the case of K-selected species as distinct from r-selected, apart from external checks, there may also be internal checks, stemming from within the population. Though the sizes of such populations also vacillate about a mean, the population stops its own growth when it tends to lead to disequilibrium. (Such checks in the case of humans could be learned, but their basis would still be instinctual, i.e. stem from our karyotype.) In other words, there are biological mechanisms in the populations of such species that see to it that their members participate in the limitation or reduction of their own number when that number tends to become too large. Such internal population checks can take many forms, some somatic, such as the having of miscar-riages, and some behavioural, such as infanticide and the excluding of particular individuals from food. In the case of humans, they include culturally reinforced checks, such as marriage, abortion (in primitive societies) and young men fighting (and dying) for their tribe or country. Internal checks to growth exist in virtually all vertebrates and even sea-anemones.

Temporary periods of scarcity occur naturally for all living organisms given the normally occurring changes in their environments, such as increases or decreases in temperature or rainfall. To survive as a species the populations that constitute the species must be able to live through such changes, which they do, given the changes are not too great, thanks to their adaptability. Predatory animals do not chronically depress their stocks of prey, nor do herbivores impair the regeneration of their food. The normal state of affairs for any species is one of dynamic equilib-rium, where, for most of the time, hardship is not experienced by the vast majority. But if there is a severe or lengthy scarcity of food or breeding sites, the population size will diminish; and, of course, if it diminishes enough, the species will become extinct.

If, on the other hand, there is a surplus of food and breeding sites, the pioneering principle, a corollary to the population principle, tells us that there will be a tendency for the population to grow until it fills the new space.

The pioneering principle is that any increase in food or space, given a surplus of the other, will tend to be consumed or occupied by a population, with the result that the population grows.

For any population, a surplus of food tends to lead to population growth, given the availability of breeding sites; but when a certain density is reached, internal population checks (for those species which have them) are normally manifest. But if the surplus is large, lengthy or sudden, not only is the externalcheck of starvation pushed back, but the social setting is destabilised. In practice this means that the survival and sexual instincts take precedence over the social instincts (which, in humans, are often culturally manifest). This is precisely what has happened and is happening in the case of the human species. Given the constantly increasing surplus humankind has experienced right from its inception, overpopulation has constantly been the case, and with it our species’ loss of equilibrium. More than this, from a systems-ecological point of view it would appear that the human population has gone beyond the limit at which dynamic equilibrium might possibly be regained. I would myself guess this limit to have been passed at the latest by 6000 years ago, when humans first became dependent on non-renewable resources.

A number of studies have been done of populations of mammals which, given a sudden and large surplus, have first increased drastically, after which a large proportion die off over a number of years, followed by an increase in the size of the population, but not to the same extent as previously. Eventually an equilibrium is reached, at which point the normally-functioning internal checks have once again become established. What happens in some cases however is that the species in question so badly abuses its environment that it no longer has any food, and goes ex-tinct.

In 1912 or 1913 a few moose crossed over the ice from the Michigan mainland to Isle Royale in Lake Superior. This island is some 73 km long and 14 km wide, and the moose had no serious enemies there, with the result that by 1930 their numbers had risen to between 1000 and 3000. Numbers then fell sharply to about 200 in 1935, then rose gradually to 800 in 1948, then fell again, so that in 1950 there were only 500.

Similar phenomena have been witnessed with reindeer and mule or black-tailed deer, both of which over-exploited their habitats in response to a drastic weakening of external checks, and suffered marked die-back through starvation as a result, the reindeer dying out completely, while the mule deer continued to destroy the vegetation, and continued to fall in numbers, for more than ten years after their initial heavy decrease. We can see this as being partly the result of the reaction principle:

The reaction principle is that the members of any species will tend to react to their immediate environment.

Selection operates in the short term; as is implied by the reaction principle, species are selected for the immediate requirements of their environments. If environmental conditions change, a species’ attributes that were previously adaptive may no longer be so.
If the reaction principle is operative in a situation of a large or lengthy surplus, we get the overshoot principle:

The overshoot principle is that, given a pioneering situation, populations of slow-breeding animals will expand beyond the carrying capacity of their environment.

The reaction, pioneering and overshoot principles apply to humans as well as to other K-selected species. Their application to humans is special however, in that we are the only species to over-come periods of scarcity through technological innovation. In other words, we are the only species to use technology to create a pioneering situation. This brings us to the vicious circle principle, which applies only to humans:

The vicious circle principle
Humankind’s development consists in an accelerating movement from situations of scarcity, to technological innovation, to increased resource availability, to increased consumption, to popul-ation growth, to resource depletion, to scarcity once again, and so on.

The vicious circle principle (VCP) is both easy to understand and in keeping not only with modern science but also with common sense. Briefly put, it says that in the case of humans the experience of need, resulting e.g. from changed environmental conditions, sometimes leads to technological innovation, which becomes widely employed, allowing more to be taken from the environment, thereby promoting population growth, which leads back to a situation of need. Or, seeing as it is a matter of a circle, it could for example be expressed as: increasing population size leads to technological innovation, which allows more to be taken from the environment, thereby promoting further population growth; or as: technological innovation allows more to be taken from the environment, the increase promoting population growth, which in turn creates a demand for further technological innovation.

Human population checks, whether internal or external, operate so as to counteract the turning of the vicious circle. What we see with the expression of the VCP through the whole of our species’ development is a steady weakening of these checks. At the same time the constantly altering conditions and increasing complexity of human society lead to the checks’ taking new forms, or to certain forms manifesting themselves to a greater or lesser extent than earlier.

Technological innovation increases the potential for a particular area of land to support human habitation beyond the needs of its contemporary population, thereby constitut¬ing a major factor in that population’s losing its incentive to control its own numbers. This loss of incentive may be manifest e.g. in a cultural shift condoning earlier marriages, or in increasing the convenience of having large families. And, given the surplus, which weakens internal checks, there is nothing to stop the population from once again becoming too large relative to what it is able to extract from its resource base, until external checks come into play. The way that this eventuality has been mitigated or avoided has been through the introduction of yet more efficient technology, allow-ing even more to be extracted from the resource base.

Humans’ development of technology distinguishes us from other life forms. It is what has made us the only species whose population has constantly grown from its inception. Not only has our population constantly grown, the rate at which it has grown has constantly increased: human population growth has always been accelerating.

Unlike other species, humans have invented and employed such devices as the hand-axe, fire, clothing, the bowl, spears, boats, the bow and arrow, the hoe, the plough, irrigation, watermills and windmills, sailboats, various petroleum-driven engines, and electricity generators operated by nuclear power. And this technology, paradigmatically, has had the effect of pushing back the limits to human population size, a phenomenon we do not see in other species.

Humans’ development of technology has been exponential, and has led to a corresponding exponential increase in our total resource consumption as well as in the size of our population – even before Homo sapiens came into existence. Most notable in this regard are early humans’ harnessing of fire some 1.5 million years ago, the horticultural revolution 10,000 years ago, the beginning of the mining of metals 6000 years ago, and the industrial revolution 250 years ago. But this process is going on all the time, with such apparently minor technological innovations as that of the stirrup or horseshoe, or ball-bearing or adjustable wrench, each contributing to the end result of increasing the number of humans that can occupy a given area of land.

There can be no human population growth beyond a certain limit without technological changes permitting more food to be provided per given unit of land. Population and technology have a feedback relationship: population growth provides the push, technological change the pull.

Humans must eat to survive, so an increase in the size of the population will mean an increase in its food requirement. Due to the presence of a surplus of food and breeding sites thanks to technological development (and in the latter case thanks to our adaptability), we humans, as would other animals in a similar situation, and as is suggested by the principle of population, tend to have more than a replacement number of offspring. And as suggested by the reaction principle, the inclination of the members of any species is naturally to react to their immediate situation. Though our reason may tell us that an alternative mode of action is appropriate, in the main we follow our instincts, including our social instincts. And, again thanks to technological innovation and the surplus it provides, since at least some of the extra children we produce are not eliminated by internal or external checks, the result is the constant growth of the human population.

In terms of systems, technological development undermines the homeostasis of the human species; where there is no technological development, and resources are being used sustainably, homeostasis tends to assert or reassert itself. In terms of a thermostat analogy, the constant presence of a surplus of food and the diminution in the area necessary to raise a family lead to higher settings at which the thermostat controlling population growth clicks in.

According to the VCP, technology’s role in the growth of the human population is central, such that one may say that without technological development the population’s size would be minis-cule as compared to what it is today. And technological development itself, together with the existence of resources to which it can be applied, constitutes the most important aspect of the vicious circle.

You could say that from the beginning we were not biologically equipped as a species to han-dle developing technology. This is clear from our using new technology (spears) to eradicate a huge proportion of the genera of the world’s large animals when we were still in our hunter-gatherer stage. If technological development were truly an aid to the survival of the human spe-cies, it would not have led to the elimination of a significant part of the population’s resource base, only to have it replaced by an inferior substitute. There is something wrong with the devel-opment of technology in the hands of humans – but then, you could say, something would be wrong with technological development in the ‘hands’ of any organism.

The next major revolution in the development of humankind after the industrial, namely the ecological, will be the first to result from a general decrease in available resources. That is to say, it will be the first and largest revolution involving the slowing down and eventual stopping of the vicious circle. The coming overshoot will not be that of just one turn of the vicious circle, but of the circle itself. The repercussions will be tremendous.

In systems terms, each new species in our development meant a change not only of structure but of organisation, i.e. there was a constant introduction of new systems. Each of these systems has been out of equilibrium with its environment (otherwise it wouldn’t have disappeared) – and each to an increasing degree.

With the reduction in resource availability, technology will no longer be able to provide a surdplus that supports continued population growth, but will rather be fighting off a deficit that in-flicts constantly increasing mortality. World peaks in population, standard of living, energy use, food production, trade, and rate of innovation will all be behind us. The social effects of reduced resource consumption will include an increase in experienced population pressure and consequent violence, including war.

From a biological/ecological point of view, the growth of the human population can be likened to that of lemming populations prior to their periodic migrations. Such a rate of growth is unprecedented in any large animal species. The global aggregate weight of humans is today ca. 350 million tons – well ahead of any other category except cattle. The human population is ‘swarm-ing.’ We are behaving like an r-selected species.

Humankind’s ensnarement in the VCP works counter to our survival as a species, involving as it does constantly increasing consumption, population, and quantities of waste, all of which tend to move us further out of equilibrium with our surroundings, thereby increasing the likelihood of our becoming extinct. Key to this whole process is our constantly meeting vital needs through the application of new forms of technology to both renewable and non-renewable resources, combined with the fact that there have to date always existed resources amenable to that development.

http://candobetter.net/node/2755

So what do you think? I agree with Dilworth's assessment - we're basically racing technological innovation against resource depletion, and it's a tortoise-and-hare sort of scenario. Our technological advancement may race ahead - even quite far ahead - of resource depletion from time to time, but resource depletion will eventually catch us in the end. Even were we to implement an energy grid that is powered by a renewable resource like the sun, we'd still run out of so many things (think phosphorus for fertilizer, the rare earth metals that are key components of all sorts of technology, etc.) that a sharp decrease in population would be inevitable. As far as I can tell, the only hope of drastically expanding our resource base for many different resources is some form of space mining, and though that is slowly becoming a reality, it is still unclear that all the energy, material, and money spent getting the asteroids back to Earth would actually provide a return on investment using conventional methods of exploring space (and let's be honest, space elevators are more science fiction than science fact right now). My understanding of asteroid mining is that it provides a more affordable platform for further exploring space rather than it being of any material benefit to folks here on Earth.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Sledgehammer posted:

So what do you think? I agree with Dilworth's assessment - we're basically racing technological innovation against resource depletion, and it's a tortoise-and-hare sort of scenario. Our technological advancement may race ahead - even quite far ahead - of resource depletion from time to time, but resource depletion will eventually catch us in the end. Even were we to implement an energy grid that is powered by a renewable resource like the sun, we'd still run out of so many things (think phosphorus for fertilizer, the rare earth metals that are key components of all sorts of technology, etc.) that a sharp decrease in population would be inevitable. As far as I can tell, the only hope of drastically expanding our resource base for many different resources is some form of space mining, and though that is slowly becoming a reality, it is still unclear that all the energy, material, and money spent getting the asteroids back to Earth would actually provide a return on investment using conventional methods of exploring space (and let's be honest, space elevators are more science fiction than science fact right now). My understanding of asteroid mining is that it provides a more affordable platform for further exploring space rather than it being of any material benefit to folks here on Earth.

It's a mistake to assume that resources wouldn't eventually be depleted without technology. Even without advanced technology, there's still a net loss of energy from any system over time. It would just take a much longer time. The only way to perpetuate humanity indefinitely is to eventually spread to other planets. This demands a more rapid development of technology, not less.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

quote:

It's a mistake to assume that resources wouldn't eventually be depleted without technology.

Uhhh....what? Let me make sure I'm understanding you properly - you're saying that you think humans would deplete resources like forests, game animals, energy sources, etc. WITHOUT the use of technology? Really?

quote:

Even without advanced technology, there's still a net loss of energy from any system over time. It would just take a much longer time.

The first sentence here is borderline tautology. "Even without humans, the universe will eventually succumb to heat death." Well, of course. But as you said yourself, the "net energy loss" would take a much longer amount of time. Isn't that the goal here - humans reaching extinction later rather than sooner?

quote:

The only way to perpetuate humanity indefinitely is to eventually spread to other planets.

Honestly, I'm not sure that perpetuating humanity indefinitely is even a rational goal, much less a desirable one. I'd much rather see humans be the common ancestor of a whole branch of the evolutionary tree than see humans in their current form continue to exist for billions of years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Uhhh....what? Let me make sure I'm understanding you properly - you're saying that you think humans would deplete resources like forests, game animals, energy sources, etc. WITHOUT the use of technology? Really?

The first sentence here is borderline tautology. "Even without humans, the universe will eventually succumb to heat death." Well, of course. But as you said yourself, the "net energy loss" would take a much longer amount of time. Isn't that the goal here - humans reaching extinction later rather than sooner?

Honestly, I'm not sure that perpetuating humanity indefinitely is even a rational goal, much less a desirable one. I'd much rather see humans be the common ancestor of a whole branch of the evolutionary tree than see humans in their current form continue to exist for billions of years.

His whole argument is that humans pushing to develop technology faster and faster is foolish because we're basically just rushing toward depleting our resources. That's true. But eventually we will deplete our resources anyway. We, as animals, consume natural resources. What we put back after consuming them is not as much as what was there to begin with.

If his concern is that by developing our technology we are rushing toward making it difficult to perpetuate the human species on Earth, his argument is dumb because this will eventually happen anyway and the solution is to develop the tech to spread to other planets.

If his concern is that by developing our technology we are rushing toward making Earth inhospitable to life generally, then his argument is dumb because he's essentially arguing that humans need to experience a major die-off (since our current population is totally unsustainable without technological help).

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Appropriate that we'd have a nice strawman for Halloween.

Here's the deal - the whole "we'd eventually deplete our resources anyway, because the sun will die someday" thing is the dumbest possible argument against aggressively pursuing a more sustainable human lifestyle. It crops up from time to time in this thread and I personally think that it's mostly used as a simple, contrarian response to things people just don't want to hear, because if you're willing to ponder the argument for longer than a few seconds, it immediately becomes apparent how short-sighted it is.

It's pretty much the equivalent of someone meticulously and smartly saving money to ensure that they'll have enough throughout their life and then someone comes along and says "You might as well just spend it all now, because you're going to have to spend it all before you die anyway."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Appropriate that we'd have a nice strawman for Halloween.

Here's the deal - the whole "we'd eventually deplete our resources anyway, because the sun will die someday" thing is the dumbest possible argument against aggressively pursuing a more sustainable human lifestyle. It crops up from time to time in this thread and I personally think that it's mostly used as a simple, contrarian response to things people just don't want to hear, because if you're willing to ponder the argument for longer than a few seconds, it immediately becomes apparent how short-sighted it is.

It's pretty much the equivalent of someone meticulously and smartly saving money to ensure that they'll have enough throughout their life and then someone comes along and says "You might as well just spend it all now, because you're going to have to spend it all before you die anyway."

I'm not talking about the sun. There is a finite amount of the various elements required to sustain life on this planet and they will be consumed eventually either way. I think aggressive pursuit of emigration from Earth is a better solution. If you spread humans thinner a lot of the problems we cause with our current population density are assuaged somewhat.

The guy takes makes the observation that because we've often made things worse by advancing our technology, then makes the totally unwarranted leap that we can't make technological advances without causing harm. Technology isn't inherently helpful or harmful. The way we go about developing and applying it can be. This means working toward advancement in a smart way, not deliberately slowing down or reversing our advancement because the industrial revolution was all sunshine.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

Well, I completely disagree, actually. Resource depletion is related to human population far more than it's related to technology, and while it's certainly true that the human population is growing, check the statistics for where human population is growing (Hint: It's not in the industrialized, high-tech western world).

For reasons that are not entirely well understood yet, high standards of living and, in particular, high technology, cause population growth to peak and plateau (and, in some cases - like in the U.S. - actually begin to decline).

Africa is the continent right now with explosive population growth. If you want to slow down the birth rate of human beings, I'd recommend donating to Medicines Sans Frontiers and / or sponsoring families in Africa, and lobbying for global social equality.

By the way, that article would've failed peer review after the first sentence. Lemmings do not actually over-populate until they commit suicide. That's an urban myth that was spawned by a malicious Disney film maker who used a turntable to fling Lemmings to their death in front of his camera.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

The Ender posted:

Well, I completely disagree, actually. Resource depletion is related to human population far more than it's related to technology, and while it's certainly true that the human population is growing, check the statistics for where human population is growing (Hint: It's not in the industrialized, high-tech western world).

For reasons that are not entirely well understood yet, high standards of living and, in particular, high technology, cause population growth to peak and plateau (and, in some cases - like in the U.S. - actually begin to decline).

Africa is the continent right now with explosive population growth. If you want to slow down the birth rate of human beings, I'd recommend donating to Medicines Sans Frontiers and / or sponsoring families in Africa, and lobbying for global social equality.

By the way, that article would've failed peer review after the first sentence. Lemmings do not actually over-populate until they commit suicide. That's an urban myth that was spawned by a malicious Disney film maker who used a turntable to fling Lemmings to their death in front of his camera.

Your conclusion only works if you ignore basic political/economic realities of the world, though. The only way first-world nations maintain their standard of living is by impoverishing the third world. That's just how global capitalism, and capitalism in general, works. I think history has pretty well proven that capitalism can't exist without an underclass. So yeah, I agree that population would stop growing if third-world countries would modernize and industrialize, but they can't do that without impacting the standard of living of the first world (after all, who's going to make all our cheap electronics, coffee, and assorted other nifty things?), and first-world governments won't let that happen. And I haven't even mentioned the dire climate consequences of countries like China and India industrializing to first-world standards.

And you might want to re-read that first sentence - Dilworth isn't referencing the lemming suicide myth, he's referencing the way lemming populations grow. Lemmings have population boom periods like other rodents. They occasionally grow to the point that they overwhelm their immediate habitat and end up dispersing in all directions to find resources. He's comparing this to human population growth, which has followed a similar pattern historically, just without an eventual decline in population.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

As far as I can tell, the only hope of drastically expanding our resource base for many different resources is some form of space mining, and though that is slowly becoming a reality, it is still unclear that all the energy, material, and money spent getting the asteroids back to Earth would actually provide a return on investment using conventional methods of exploring space (and let's be honest, space elevators are more science fiction than science fact right now). My understanding of asteroid mining is that it provides a more affordable platform for further exploring space rather than it being of any material benefit to folks here on Earth.

Good news! The Launch Loop is an orbital delivery system whose design is completely feasible within the limits of our current technology, including materials science. There are a few engineering hurdles that present some difficulty, such as designing a floating large-scale nuclear reactor, but they are far from impossible; indeed, there are already several workable, competing designs.

The economics also work; from the Wiki:

"For a launch loop to be economically viable it would require customers with sufficiently large payload launch requirements.

Lofstrom estimates that an initial loop costing roughly $10 billion with a one-year payback could launch 40,000 metric tons per year, and cut launch costs to $300/kg, or for $30 billion, with a larger power generation capacity, the loop would be capable of launching 6 million metric tons per year, and given a five-year payback period, the costs for accessing space with a launch loop could be as low as $3/kg."

This design is intriguing to me because its operation is the opposite of what I associate with space travel: it's quiet, gentle acceleration (3Gs), capable of multiple launches per hour, disregards weather, and is non-polluting. Oh, and it would be far faster than any hypothetical space elevator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Man my science hard-on would tear right out my pants if they ever made that warp drive thing work.

That said, the 'one big discovery' between here and loving star trek , dark energy exotic thingamajig matter sure is a big fucken "if".

Frankly I just think humans need to get off this planet and leave the poor thing in peace.

Yeah it aint gunna happen. I know. Unobtanium. :sigh:

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

The Ender posted:

As usual the Western environmental progressives' preoccupation with people having babies in the third world emerges in its typically half-baked fashion. If you're concerned about resources, consider that each person in the industrialized first world consumes many times more resources (by any margin: energy, nonrenewable materials, food, arable land) than your African baby. Every baby a Westerner doesn't have is worth like 10 African babies (and I mean that with all irony).

I would even argue that it's a fraught line to lobby for "global social equality" because this almost invariably gets translated as "increased industrialization;" I say fraught because these developments would likely improve quality of life for the third world, while at the same time vastly increasing the third world's resource consumption.

Sledgehammer's article comes down to an honest value judgment: do you value reproductive freedom or preservation of resources? If the former, we start an impact calculus: how long before all resources are irretrievable, depleted?

If the latter, who shouldn't be able to have babies (who gets sterilized)? That's not easily answerable, or at least it shouldn't be. And with respect to history and global inequalities, nobody in this thread, nobody writing in the West, should ever make that call again.

flatbus
Sep 19, 2012
Hurricane Sandy's been prompting a bunch of news articles to bring climate change to the forefront, with mainstream news citing IPCC guys and actual climate scientists:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/opinion/field-sandy-climate/index.html
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14860173-bloomberg-endorses-obama-citing-sandy-and-climate-change?lite
http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2012/11/01/was-hurricane-sandy-the-fat-tail-of-climate-change/

The Bloomberg endorsement of Obama had a pretty strong line in it,

quote:

Our climate is changing. And while the increase in extreme weather we have experienced in New York City and around the world may or may not be the result of it, the risk that it might be – given this week's devastation – should compel all elected leaders to take immediate action.

Do you guys think the hurricane could finally begin to counteract all the propaganda against climate change that's been spewed by the oil industry, or is this just going to be forgotten in a few months like Hurricane Katrina and we're doomed to a horrible news cycle of natural disaster followed by pussyfooting followed by natural disaster until all of a sudden we're sharing a floating metal hulk with a be-gilled Kevin Costner?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

flatbus posted:

Do you guys think the hurricane could finally begin to counteract all the propaganda against climate change that's been spewed by the oil industry, or is this just going to be forgotten in a few months like Hurricane Katrina and we're doomed to a horrible news cycle of natural disaster followed by pussyfooting followed by natural disaster until all of a sudden we're sharing a floating metal hulk with a be-gilled Kevin Costner?

Really don't think so. Proof doesn't do it, I don't see a single destructive event as enough to bring people around. Hell, the doubters use the same techniques with regards to rain in drought times, one hurricane isn't going to bring them around.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

flatbus posted:

Hurricane Sandy's been prompting a bunch of news articles to bring climate change to the forefront, with mainstream news citing IPCC guys and actual climate scientists:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/opinion/field-sandy-climate/index.html
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14860173-bloomberg-endorses-obama-citing-sandy-and-climate-change?lite
http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2012/11/01/was-hurricane-sandy-the-fat-tail-of-climate-change/

The Bloomberg endorsement of Obama had a pretty strong line in it,

The latter. People are prone to living their lives based around the short-term for many socioeconomic and psychological reasons. The problem with this is the in order to understand climate change you have to take the long view, and while single weather events may draw it into the limelight for a time, such events neither confirm nor deny the existence of climate change. You cannot point to a single localized event and prove anything in regards to climate because climate is a global system averaged over many many years. People simply don't think in this way.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Really don't think so. Proof doesn't do it, I don't see a single destructive event as enough to bring people around. Hell, the doubters use the same techniques with regards to rain in drought times, one hurricane isn't going to bring them around.

Particularly when New York has been struck by a number of powerful hurricanes in recorded history. It's a rare event, but it's not unheard of.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Certainly not, but the fact that pretty noteworthy politicians and media outlets are even discussing it is encouraging. We haven't heard a drat word on climate change from anyone/thing that mattered since 2009.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wolfy posted:

Certainly not, but the fact that pretty noteworthy politicians and media outlets are even discussing it is encouraging. We haven't heard a drat word on climate change from anyone/thing that mattered since 2009.

When the debate's focal point is based on a single disaster, it doesn't really have anywhere to go. I feel like until the public discourse flat out IGNORES short term events as catalysts for discussion and genuine long term consequences take the stage, that's when progress will start to be made against the deniers.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

The evolutionary biology component of this is almost total nonsense (eg the bits about r- and k-selection read like someone was smoking something pretty powerful while trawling through 40 year old evo bio papers for sciency-sounding terms), and the argument doesn't really hang together without it. Generically associating human population growth with "technology" is pretty silly- to the extent we have a population problem, it's not a result of "technology" per se but of energy availability.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004

Paper Mac posted:

The evolutionary biology component of this is almost total nonsense (eg the bits about r- and k-selection read like someone was smoking something pretty powerful while trawling through 40 year old evo bio papers for sciency-sounding terms), and the argument doesn't really hang together without it. Generically associating human population growth with "technology" is pretty silly- to the extent we have a population problem, it's not a result of "technology" per se but of energy availability.

Without invoking any jargon, though, what do you disagree with in this claim: "for the last 6,000 years humans have used technology to avoid shortages of life necessities. Due to this, the human population has increased without the normal checks and balances animals in nature find," or something like that? Do you think the references to technology are overcomplicating the issue, and if so, could you explain more your counter-claim?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Why is avoiding the checks and balances in nature inherently a bad thing though?

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004

rscott posted:

Why is avoiding the checks and balances in nature inherently a bad thing though?

I don't know if it is, there are very few if any things that have inherent morality, and I don't know what the point of your post is because we can still discuss things that are "only" contingently moral.

The point, which you must be deliberately ignoring, is that humans and human activities are detrimental to biodiversity; biodiversity appears to be necessary for continued life on this planet, therefore if you value life on this planet you ought to value biodiversity.

The other point, if you don't care about life on this planet (and you might not!), is that continually accelerating human population growth which simultaneously requires more resources per capita (due to industrializing lifestyles) is not sustainable. That's simple math (finite resources versus infinite consumption). So if you value avoiding human famine (which is what this comes down to), you ought not to value continuous population acceleration.

This is an illustration of something I'm coming around to, and I know it's not orthodox, but there is really no moral imperative to be stewards to the environment, and I think that kind of language is politically limiting.

The only thing that motivates environmentalism is a desire to preserve either biodiversity or to protect our own continued existence.

I hold my own dogmas of course, which I've made clear in this thread--I dislike capitalism and the capitalistic deployment of high technology and industry, because I'm anthropocentric and wish to preserve the livelihood of humans. There's nothing "inherent" about my position, it's just a collection of biases I've accumulated from my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My comment wasn't really directed at you, more at Your Sledgehammer as a proxy for the author of that article who seems to think that every human living beyond whatever the population of the world was in 4000BC is beyond the natural carrying capacity of the planet. Since that is not a very large number compared to the billions of people living today, there really isn't a way to get around the fact that people who hold the viewpoint that technology is killing the earth and we should stop using it are indirectly advocating for the elimination of billions of people.

Personally, I believe there is (must) be a way to use technology responsibly while preserving biodiversity because the alternative is plain untenable.

• Locked thread