Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My thinktank airport international 2 is pretty awesome.

Of course I decided to try and save and got a second hand one on ebay which came with half the dividers they're supposed to so I had to order another set.

It's pretty great at what it does, it certainly isn't inexpensive. But for the amount of gear I was carrying on my back I really needed a nice trolly bag. I can just about fit my monolights in it too but they actually are lighter than my bodies and lenses so they stay in my backpack, but I can probably configure a loadout that's just a body and lens and maybe one strobe head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My billingham bag looks good, carries a lot, and is drat easy to carry. It's really efficient in it's use of space, too. So far, I've got not a single bad thing to say about it. I suspect I hear ignorance talking.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bobfather posted:

and because numerous reviews I read about the Ona stated that it developed significant wear and tear after only a couple years of use

The bag hasn't even been on the market for two years. Also I find that hard to believe considering I take considerably worse care than I imagine most people would with a $300 bag and mine hasn't worn at all. In a couple years? Yeah, it might fall apart, and I have no doubts that the Billingham is probably made with higher quality materials since ONA primarily seems to be a "fashion" camera bag maker.

As you said, different strokes. And aesthetics is probably the last thing most people look at when picking out camera gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

My billingham bag looks good, carries a lot, and is drat easy to carry. It's really efficient in it's use of space, too. So far, I've got not a single bad thing to say about it. I suspect I hear ignorance talking.
Post of pic with your gripped/ungripped 5d in it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

Post of pic with your gripped/ungripped 5d in it?

Sure. give me an hour or so.

edit: This was my packout to Cuba this trip. 5DIII w/24-105 (hood on, and out); Sigma 630 DG Flash; Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; 100-400L. Passport, travel docs, Nexus 7 in back slip, memory cards, cables in front pouches. Phone, blackberry in front pouch. For travel, you would put the flap top on, and secure (not a fast access this way). For fast access as a carry bag, flap stays down, keep it zipped. It has a second set of handles inside the flap, so if you do this you can still carry it that way.

I normally carry the body/lens with the body down for travel, body up for shooting.

Edit: Added some notes to final shot.

2012-08-25_18-37-29_2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

2012-08-25_18-36-47_228 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Billingham 307 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 25, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's a good way to carry a Pentax 67 and multiple lenses in a big backpacking backpack? I'm thinking of a camera insert of some sort but I don't know what to look for.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

What's a good way to carry a Pentax 67 and multiple lenses in a big backpacking backpack? I'm thinking of a camera insert of some sort but I don't know what to look for.

I use Tenba camera wraps when I toss my cameras in a back pack for traveling. Frankly, you can't hurt the drat thing so I wouldn't go all crazy with too much padding.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

I use Tenba camera wraps when I toss my cameras in a back pack for traveling. Frankly, you can't hurt the drat thing so I wouldn't go all crazy with too much padding.

I'm more worried about the items that may or may not end up in my pack that are more delicate than the Pentax, such as tarps and rocks.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I think I need a new bag.

I've been rocking this thing for a little while, but here's the thing. It's really spacious (it'll carry a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 with the hood reversed!) but terribly inconvenient. To change lenses, I have to lay the bag down, unzip it entirely, and hoist it open. Then make the switch and zip it all the way up again to secure the contents. I'd like a bag that I can use while switching lenses a lot. Maybe in the future I'll have two good bodies, but for now I'm really only using one during portraits and weddings and so I'm switching a lot between the wide, the fast prime, and the 70-200. In the semi-near future I can see myself with this setup:

Full-size or gripped body
70-200
17-35
Flash
maaaybe an 85 or 135.

I want a shoulder bag, yeah? That'd probably be the most convenient to have on my / close by and be able to switch out gear quickly and securely?

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

I need a new bag...again.

I've decided to start taking my bicycle to work which gives me a dilemma, my Lowepro Flipside 400 is too bulky to bring and I don't want to bike with a shoulder bag (got a Lowepro Nova 180).

The largest gear I'll bring is:
- Canon 550d + battery grip.
- Tamron 70-300
- Tamron 17-50.

Also an AW cover is a must, rains constantly in Sweden at the moment.

Been trying to find a decent small backpack which would suit my needs but to no avail, mostly because of the battery grip and need for AW-cover.

Any recommendations?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dakana posted:

70-200
17-35
Flash
maaaybe an 85 or 135.

I want a shoulder bag, yeah? That'd probably be the most convenient to have on my / close by and be able to switch out gear quickly and securely?

Crumpler 7 Million if you don't need to carry around the camera with the 70-200 mounted. Think Tank Retrospective 20 if you do. Overall, the 7 Million is better if you're switching lenses a lot on assignment because it is wider and shallower so it has five spots for lenses or flashes once you take your camera out of the bag whereas the 20 only has three because it is a taller but narrower bag.

I definitely recommend a shoulder bag if you switch lenses a lot because you can switch lenses on the fly without taking your eyes off your subject and you don't need to finangle the lens back into the bag, you just drop it in.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

dakana posted:

I think I need a new bag.

I've been rocking this thing for a little while, but here's the thing. It's really spacious (it'll carry a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 with the hood reversed!) but terribly inconvenient. To change lenses, I have to lay the bag down, unzip it entirely, and hoist it open. Then make the switch and zip it all the way up again to secure the contents. I'd like a bag that I can use while switching lenses a lot. Maybe in the future I'll have two good bodies, but for now I'm really only using one during portraits and weddings and so I'm switching a lot between the wide, the fast prime, and the 70-200. In the semi-near future I can see myself with this setup:

70-200
17-35
Flash
maaaybe an 85 or 135.

Kata bags have two configurations to how you wear them. I have a Kata 3N1-30 and you can wear it as a back pack or a sling (the ability to open it without taking it off your back). However, I have too much gear to sling it comfortably. They have tons of other sizes though. You can even search by the amount of gear you want to carry.

http://www.kata-bags.us/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I have a Kata 3n1-33, and it's room as hell. Right now I just fit in a Pentax 67 with 75mm lens attached, a nikon d5000 with 70-300 attached, a loose 18-55 vr lens, my pentax me super, and my flash. I still have some room to spare too.

Not sure how it'd work swapping between 3 different lenses often though, it's great for pulling out the main body, you'd have to mess around with the inserts I think. The side flaps do open on both sides though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, the 3-N-1 is great for accessing a camera body, but it's awful for changing lenses.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just bought a Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW, and it's awesomeeeee

Fits my Hassy, ME Super, Yashica T5, light meter, flash, and plenty of film.
ALSO has a Camelbak compartment, so I can take it hiking with me and have hands-free water built into my camera back.

Baller.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

HPL posted:

Yeah, the 3-N-1 is great for accessing a camera body, but it's awful for changing lenses.

I completely ripped out the dividers and set them up in a way that works pretty well for me. Would you guys be interested in me making a video review about it? I was thinking about making one for Amazon anyways.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 14, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anyone have experience with F-Stop bags, particularly the Stowe and large ICU? I'm looking for a camera bag to hold my Pentax 67 and lenses that'll fit inside a large backpacking pack, and be usable separately.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rcman50166 posted:

I completely ripped out the dividers and set them up in a way that works pretty well for me. Would you guys be interested in me making a video review about it? I was thinking about making one for Amazon anyways.
The problem with a sling bag is that you have to make sure to secure the flap when you're done changing lenses or everything will spill out. With shoulder bags you leave the top flap unbuckled and pull out or drop in lenses quickly.

Shoulder bags are also much better for working in crowds because you can position them anywhere around your body and you have better control of it when navigating through tight areas. When you're changing lenses every 5 minutes it's also nice to not have to go through the hassle of swinging the bag around from your back to your front. Everything is at your fingertips instantly.

HPL fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 15, 2012

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Dakine sequence? How is the space in the bag with the camera insert in it, etc., etc., etc.

Manos fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 22, 2012

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Manos posted:

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Dakine sequence? How is the space in the bag with the camera insert in it, etc., etc., etc.

I had a Sequence for a while (until it got stolen...fortunately none of my gear was in it at the time). Personally I like Dakine packs but found the Sequence be merely ok. Enough to carry my gripped 40D, 70-200mm f/4L, nifty 50, maybe another lens, plus accessories, extra batteries, flash, etc. There was just enough room left over for a few non-camera stuff...enough for maybe a day trip hike if you pack light. I never got a chance to take it skiing so I don't know if there is enough room to pack all the avalanche gear and other stuff you'd need...I really doubt it.

It seemed to carry really well although access was sort of a pain in the rear end since you had to remove the pack and unzip the backpiece to get at your gear. Not a bad design, mind you, since it keeps the opening out of the dirt or snow.

I've used this for over a year now and think it's great:
http://www.clikelite.com/products/contrejour-35/

EDIT: I should note that the Clik-Elite also has the backpiece access point but it has the side access port as well which helps immensely. Any time you can avoid removing your pack then heave it back on is saved energy and really helps on a long hike or backcountry ski trip. It also had tonnes of other zippers and access points for your non-camera stuff...which I can't remember if the Sequence did or not.

Rot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 22, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone have experience with F-Stop bags, particularly the Stowe and large ICU? I'm looking for a camera bag to hold my Pentax 67 and lenses that'll fit inside a large backpacking pack, and be usable separately.

I have one, it's very well-made.

edit: poo poo nevermind, I meant f64.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there anything I'm missing regarding the single point straps like the Black Rapid, or could I just buy one of the screws and hook up a single point gun sling to my camera instead?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there anything I'm missing regarding the single point straps like the Black Rapid, or could I just buy one of the screws and hook up a single point gun sling to my camera instead?

No, that's about it if you only have one camera. There's obviously the pad as well.

Otherwise, there's a modularity to the BlackRapid system if you carry two cameras and want to have them ready quickly (sports, weddings, etc), but if you've just got the one, it wouldn't be too hard to rig something up.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone ever heard of/used an ideer bag? I was looking at this one:

http://ideer.com.hk/product.php?id=VA370LB

Someone is selling it on craigslist locally(I wouldn't order one from China). Looks classy, but not sure how good it would be functionally. I think while the actually belt straps are good for security, they make quick access to the gear tough. I like the look though.

I might just hold out for a Tenba Messenger Daypack though, as that's more what I'm looking for.

Boo got shot
Oct 13, 2008

we some head bussaz
Hey folks,

I was wondering if I anyone had any insight on a pelican case solution for strobes? I've got three alien bees (800s) that I prefer to store with their standard reflectors still attached, a couple grids, and a vegabond mini and I plan to add probably one or two more lights (einstien) and probably another vegabond. I've also got a few umbrellas, large softbox, beauty dish etc, but I think I'll continue to keep those with the stands unless someone has a better suggestion. I see the 1654 come up a lot but I feel like this may be too big for what I have now, does anyone use a pelican for a similar lighting set up or have any suggestions? I'm also interested in pelican suggestions for my camera gear - 5dmII, 24-104, 50, 70-200, 17mm t/s, 580, radiopoppers, cards, cords, etc. I currently use the Ari Marcopoulos bag (for everything but the tilt-shift, that thing gets left at home unless needed), and while it's nice and slick looking, it's a tight fit and lately I have been predominately shooting fashion or boudoir in every location and terrain imaginable in the southeast and would love the option of something more durable. Thanks for any input y'all.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Boo got shot posted:

Hey folks,

I was wondering if I anyone had any insight on a pelican case solution for strobes? I've got three alien bees (800s) that I prefer to store with their standard reflectors still attached, a couple grids, and a vegabond mini and I plan to add probably one or two more lights (einstien) and probably another vegabond. I've also got a few umbrellas, large softbox, beauty dish etc, but I think I'll continue to keep those with the stands unless someone has a better suggestion. I see the 1654 come up a lot but I feel like this may be too big for what I have now, does anyone use a pelican for a similar lighting set up or have any suggestions? I'm also interested in pelican suggestions for my camera gear - 5dmII, 24-104, 50, 70-200, 17mm t/s, 580, radiopoppers, cards, cords, etc. I currently use the Ari Marcopoulos bag (for everything but the tilt-shift, that thing gets left at home unless needed), and while it's nice and slick looking, it's a tight fit and lately I have been predominately shooting fashion or boudoir in every location and terrain imaginable in the southeast and would love the option of something more durable. Thanks for any input y'all.

hard cases are pretty trendy but don't fit nearly as much space as you think you do. I would strongly recommend think tank stuff if you're going to conditions where you don't need a case that can be submersed in water or sustain anvils falling from the sky. The airport international is awesome and eats all my gear. In a pinch I could probably fit in a mono head with a body and lenses or two mono heads.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also you will hate every meter you don't have a vehicle for. You can get a wheels+handle add-on, but that makes the cases even bulkier. Unless you're checking your poo poo on a plane, I'd stick to photo bags.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, the wheels for pelican cases are awful. The Think Tank stuff has like proper rubberised wheels that work on uneven ground and such

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, the wheels for pelican cases are awful. The Think Tank stuff has like proper rubberised wheels that work on uneven ground and such

Agreed. I took the wheels off of my Pelican 1550s because they were absolutely useless anywhere but the airport.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not sure if I ever posted it here but I did a review of my think tank on my blog - http://blog.smread.com/2012/08/my-precioussss-looking-after-yo-kit.html

Boo got shot
Oct 13, 2008

we some head bussaz
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses y'all, no plane travel for me yet so this really narrows things down for me, and thanks Paragon for the blog review of the think tank.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Got this strap the other day for my new to me thrift store SLR.
http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/the-couch-vintage-volkswagen-camera-strap-p-117.html

I've had a couple of the guitar straps they make for a few years now. They started doing the camera straps within the last year I think.
All vegan/recycled materials if you're into that sort of thing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Retrospective 30 not big enough? How about a Retrospective 40?

Retrospective 40 not big enough? How about a Retrospective 50?

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Just thought I'd post my around-town camera bag solution. I had a single SLR Tamrac holster for a while, but I wanted to be able to carry some additional lenses. Then I got my EOS 3 and wanted to carry the digital and film cameras together sometimes, plus some additional lenses and other gear. I ride my bike around town a lot, and I really didn't want to advertise that I was carrying a bag full of camera equipment, especially when I'm riding through a rough part of town to some hippie festival on the lake, so I wanted it to look like I was just some dude on a bike with a messenger bag, probably full of dirty laundry.

Right now I have two regular messenger bags -- a Timbuk2 Classic, and a Mission Workshop Monty, both with roughly the same interior dimensions, so I made a padded insert to fit either of them. I like the Timbuk2 because it has a ton of neat zippered pockets to stash everything from filters and pec pads to a few Clif bars, but the Mission Workshop bag (with the roll top) is pretty unbeatable when it comes to keeping the rain out. I could probably fall in the lake and my gear would still be dry if I managed to get out within a minute or so. Of the two, I prefer using the Timbuk2 because it's easier to get stuff in and out of it without all the roll top material in the way, but it has pretty bad rainproofing at the corners of the top flap -- there's an unavoidable gap for water to get in when the bag isn't completely empty.

To make this insert, I ordered some rolls of 2" wide Velcro off Amazon, and bought maybe $10 worth of foam padding at Jo-Ann (I was probably the only single guy in there amongst the throngs of quilters/grandmothers) and threw it together on my sewing machine one afternoon. I've been pretty satisfied with it over the past 5 months.

I made a bunch of different types of padded dividers for different sets of gear. In the pictured configuration there's a Rebel DSLR with a 50mm lens + hood, an EOS 3 35mm film camera with a 28mm lens + hood, and an 85mm lens + hood stashed down between the padded holster-dividers for each half. My light meter goes across the top of the EOS 3 nicely.

I'll probably make a new one when I have time this Christmas. Next time around I'm planning to use a thinner closed cell foam, maybe get a cheap Wal-Mart sleeping pad (like for camping) and use that material. All the foam I saw at craft stores was open cell, so it doesn't give the same kind of protection in the case of an impact. I think I could get a much lower profile with the thinner closed cell stuff too.

After I made this I found a lady making/selling a similar product on Etsy, and I asked if she could make me one with closed cell foam and she declined. Her prices were pretty reasonable, though, considering the labor involved.

Anyway, here are some pics:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I had a hard time finding keywords to google this, but I have one of the cheapo Case Logic holsters for my DSLR for when I go hiking. Am I being overly paranoid about the stress this may put on the lens when it's jostling around with all the weight of the body on the lens? Seems like it would stress some fairly precise mechanisms for focus/zooming, but I tend to be a bit :tinfoil:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess I have more money than sense because I bought one of those Copper River Voyager camera bags, 14" model. Ugh but if this isn't the first & last bag I buy I am gonna be annoyed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Inf posted:

Just thought I'd post my around-town camera bag solution.

Timbuk2 actually makes an insert called the Snoop that is pretty good. I use it in my Chrome messenger and it works very well. Comes in multiple sizes, isn't too expensive.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a camera bag for my new Nikon D7000. I also have a 55-200, 50 prime and will probably pickup another lens at some point soon. I also have an SB-600. Finally I'd like something that could also accommodate my iPad mini. Would a 6 or 7 million dollar home crumpler be ideal for this equipment?

Thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crumplers are pretty bulletproof. I have 2 and I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just ordered a Think Tank Retrospective 50 (black poly.) Ze Germans say that shipping will be between one and three weeks, but I think it will cause them too much internal conflict to actually be that inefficient. Will post some pics + a mini review once I get it.

I hope it's not too huge, but I specifically got it so I can haul along either my 15" MacBook Pro or my craptastic 15.x" HP work laptop.

• Locked thread