Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Really? I only see snipers when i'm taking my third city or so on Normal. Maybe the game isn't programed to a Slow progression?

It's a bit weird. Some maps have pre-determined enemies that are custom equipped and aren't affected by the progression speed settings. They'll end up mixed in with the normal pool of generated troops since the Queen will add extra garrison reinforcements to most of the cities. It's also really inconsistent about which maps actually have them, too.

Also, if you hate sniper rifles, try using NCTH. Single shot weapons really suck in that (a bit too much in my opinion - I like the intention to make the game not entirely about headshots with sniper rifles, but it kind of goes too far in the other direction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sir Cucumber posted:

Both games were on INSANE
IIRC, Insane has it's own weapon tables which are upped for the challenge. Does the same thing happen on Expert?
Just a word of advice here, Insane is not meant to be won or to be balanced in any way. It's meant to gently caress you over as hard as it can.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's a bit weird. Some maps have pre-determined enemies that are custom equipped and aren't affected by the progression speed settings. They'll end up mixed in with the normal pool of generated troops since the Queen will add extra garrison reinforcements to most of the cities.
Yes, but the game has fewer placed soldiers than you might think. In general the devs just wanted to make sure that certain sectors always have a sniper in them. For instance, one of the Alma sectors will always have a dude with an SVD.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to change the enemy gear then you need to go to the XML Editor and go Inventory>Enemy> Guns>

You can change their gear there if i'm not mistaken.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm considering checking this game out, but that OP is terrifying :stare:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

victrix posted:

I'm considering checking this game out, but that OP is terrifying :stare:

At this point, with the complexity the (absolutely essential) 1.13 mod adds to the game, I have a really hard time coming up with a game that is more difficult / complicated to get into than JA2. On the other hand, this is the best the game has ever been and it's really worth trying to stick to it and enduring some 20 hours of frustration (and restarts) until you can actually go ahead and start and finish a proper campaign.

Oh and even if you play JA2 regularly, you'll likely find out new stuff about it 5 years down the road. Or even 10.

If you need help with the game at any point, just pop into the thread here, there are more than enough people willing to help you out.

It's a really, really good game, you should absolutely give it a try :I

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't see anything in the OP about Unfinished Business, JA2 gold is on Steam, JA2 and UB are on gog separately - Is the 1.13 pack for either/both, or does it matter?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
UB itself is just a very short add-on campaign for the old (vanilla) JA2 and can be safely ignored. Just get 1.12 Gold and you should be fine.
The 1.13 mod is based on the Gold (most recently patched) version of the game, I have no idea whether the version GOG offers would be compatible, I think the Steam version should be fine.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Burning Mustache posted:

UB itself is just a very short add-on campaign for the old (vanilla) JA2 and can be safely ignored. Just get 1.12 Gold and you should be fine.
The 1.13 mod is based on the Gold (most recently patched) version of the game, I have no idea whether the version GOG offers would be compatible, I think the Steam version should be fine.

It is for JA2.

It isn't for JA UB.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I've run 1.13 for 70+ hours off the Steam version, it works just fine (thank god, since my discs got scratched).

Definitely hop in here to ask any questions, this thread moves nice and slow.

Also: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_2/Controls

There will be a quiz at the end of the week.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 15, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
The GOG version works fine too.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Foehammer posted:

There will be a quiz at the end of the week.

1. What is the maximum amount of slaps that Elliot can recieve in one game?

No calculators!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magic is so good. Using a guy like him along with a few rookie mercs just shows how important a high leveled merc can be in a fight. Him + Sidney + MD can wipe out entire sectors, most of the time with MD not doing anything other than trying to catch up to Magic.

Magic, Reaper, Shadow and Gus can probably hold out the Drassen counter attack by themselves.

Sir Cucumber
Oct 4, 2005
Rock, Paper, Scissors

Tin Tim posted:

Just a word of advice here, Insane is not meant to be won or to be balanced in any way. It's meant to gently caress you over as hard as it can.

Insane in combat is a lot of fun. It's on the campaign map with the aggressive ai that it really starts to suck. After you take a few towns, she starts attacking every few hours. I have to keep 2-3 people constantly training militia in each town just to keep up. I usually end up toning it down or turning it off near the end, cause it starts getting annoying. Plus, it shoots your coolness level up way too fast.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mans posted:

Magic is so good. Using a guy like him along with a few rookie mercs just shows how important a high leveled merc can be in a fight. Him + Sidney + MD can wipe out entire sectors, most of the time with MD not doing anything other than trying to catch up to Magic.

Magic, Reaper, Shadow and Gus can probably hold out the Drassen counter attack by themselves.

Yes, but you must admit that it's also fun to do the exact opposite sometimes and train Flo up into an unstoppable murder machine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mans posted:

Having tried it, I can safely say that yes, yes they can. Although I did catch a lucky break when someone tried to throw a stun grenade into the room they were hiding in and it got magically caught on the door frame instead and ended up right in the middle of a group of enemies. I'm not entirely sure whether a game can swear over its own mechanics, but I'm fairly certain it did at that point. :D

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know how i can make the game not crash when i alt tab? If i attempt to alt-tab back into the game it hangs.

I am using JA2 Gold from Steam with the 1.13 mod.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 21, 2012

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

You can play it windowed I guess? If you launch it through the ini editor, it automatically sets your desktop to 16bit.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Lima posted:

You can play it windowed I guess? If you launch it through the ini editor, it automatically sets your desktop to 16bit.

If i try to launch it in Windowed Mode i get this Error:

Then the game just crashes.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Uh, nevermind then :psyduck:

Are you using version 4870 with the bugfix? It looks like at least one other on Bear's Pit got the same issue, but noone responded to him.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Lima posted:

Uh, nevermind then :psyduck:

Are you using version 4870 with the bugfix? It looks like at least one other on Bear's Pit got the same issue, but noone responded to him.

I managed to get it to run in windowed mode by disabling the intro movie. :psyduck:

How do i take ammo out of a crate? I tried clicking on the ammo box and dragging it to my weapon but no clips are coming out of it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

If i try to launch it in Windowed Mode i get this Error:

Then the game just crashes.

This sounds less like a JA2 thing and more like some sort of protection windows is using, some UAC bullshit or the like. Can you change the color depth manually?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

UberJumper posted:

I managed to get it to run in windowed mode by disabling the intro movie. :psyduck:

How do i take ammo out of a crate? I tried clicking on the ammo box and dragging it to my weapon but no clips are coming out of it.

Apparently you cannot change to 16bit color depth in Windows 8. =(

Also how do i see the chance to hit percentages in JA1.13? Pressing F gives me some information but no "chance to hit %"?

*EDIT* So apparently i need to turn off NTCH, to see chance to hit, but i cannot for the life of me find the setting using the ini editor for NTCH.

Where is it?

*EDIT 2* Also apparently there is a setting aside from the one i select when i start the game, for having the enemies drop their weapons when i die. Currently i am getting almost nothing from the majority of the enemies, how do i enable this drop all items mode?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 21, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Both, NCTH and "Enemies Drop All" need to be selected at the in-game screen when you're starting a new game (and cannot be changed during a campaign, so you'll need to start over if you want to change the settings).

If "Enemies Drop All" is off, there are some additional .ini settings for loot drops (but seeing hardly any drops is the norm rather than the exception), but with the option on it's exactly that (enemies drop all) and there are no additional options.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Huh, NCTH is definitely a new game option (only) in my version, which I guess is newer than the most recent official installer but not the most recent SVN version either, so somewhere in between. I didn't think they'd change that though, but alas. Disregard my advice then, I guess.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 22, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
New Chance to Hit isn't a new game option, it's just an option in the options menu, I think on the far right. You're not seeing a chance to hit because NCTH doesn't use a random chance to hit at all, the circle/oval is showing the range in which your bullets can fall, and they will hit a random area within that circle (roughly, anyway. It's not super strict because, as far as I know, the actual range isn't tied to the isometric camera the way the HUD element is.) NCTH is really poorly balanced in vanilla 1.13 though, so go ahead and turn it off.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Does Urban Chaos 1.13 have an altered NCTH? Because I don't have any real complaints against it, it feels a lot more natural than dice rolls.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Knees Club posted:

Does Urban Chaos 1.13 have an altered NCTH? Because I don't have any real complaints against it, it feels a lot more natural than dice rolls.
Yes. The creator put a lot of work into making it almost balanced.

E: Flugente is at it again!
I WANT THAT! :supaburn:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Electric Pope posted:

New Chance to Hit isn't a new game option, it's just an option in the options menu, I think on the far right. You're not seeing a chance to hit because NCTH doesn't use a random chance to hit at all, the circle/oval is showing the range in which your bullets can fall, and they will hit a random area within that circle (roughly, anyway. It's not super strict because, as far as I know, the actual range isn't tied to the isometric camera the way the HUD element is.) NCTH is really poorly balanced in vanilla 1.13 though, so go ahead and turn it off.

Also, there's not a good way to judge cover and other obstacles in the bullet trajectories in NCTH.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, there's not a good way to judge cover and other obstacles in the bullet trajectories in NCTH.

There's a few issues related to some weird hitboxes on things too. You notice it the most with the edges of rooftops, where bullets will do weird things like pass through the ceiling or you'll get no line of sight even though it looks like there's a perfectly clear shot. It's really inconsistent. Most objects aren't that bad and generally work how they look.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I got JA2 Unfinished Business in the GOG.com Interplay sale. I got really excited because I remember playing a demo of JA years ago and liking it a lot.

However.

I COMPLETELY suck. My group of 6 mercs got absolutely destroyed by the first bunch of enemies I encountered in some woods.

My guys were horribly inaccurate, too exposed to advance or reposition, I had hardly any ammo... I just don't get it.

I definitely want to get into this game but it's really overwhelming.

Sir Cucumber
Oct 4, 2005
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Is friendly fire a lot worse with the NCTH too? I've worked on a game similar to JA2, and I started with realistic trajectories like the NCTH does. The problem with it is it's very difficult to figure out where a ray should start and where it should end for the optimal chance to hit. If you're always shooting from the same vertex and always targeting the same vertex, then you're going to miss a lot of shots you could have made. In some places, 100% of the time. And their LOS algorithm needs to work the same way, or you're going to see a lot of people you can't possibly shoot and vice versa.

^^^^ You can sneak to the town if you need to.

Sir Cucumber fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 24, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How did the old CTH system calculate the odds of hitting? I read the huge sperg posts about it on the bear pit, but do those calculations just directly give a percent that the RNG checks against, or what? I remember hearing about a game that basically ran a bunch of simulated shots behind the scenes, and it gave the percentage of successful shots as your final chance to hit, and I can't remember if that was JA2 or another game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How did the old CTH system calculate the odds of hitting? I read the huge sperg posts about it on the bear pit, but do those calculations just directly give a percent that the RNG checks against, or what? I remember hearing about a game that basically ran a bunch of simulated shots behind the scenes, and it gave the percentage of successful shots as your final chance to hit, and I can't remember if that was JA2 or another game.

It basically just used a bunch of factors to determine your chance to hit and rolls directly against that. I don't know all the factors and a lot of them seem very inconsistent (Example: normal headshot - very low chance to hit. Headshot against a target kneeling next to a window - bullet magnet). If you make that roll, the bullet just goes dead center to whatever you were targetting; it can still miss if you were shooting at someone through an obstacle and it fails to penetrate, but most of the time it hits. If you fail that roll, the bullet deviates a random amount away from dead center, which means you can still end up scoring a hit if the actual projectile hits them on its flight path.

NCTH basically just cuts out the initial roll and makes it so that the various chance to hit factors affect how much the bullet can deviate by (it also cuts out the ones that don't make any sense if you're going to model the trajectory directly, like cover and so on). It also makes it so that burst/fill-auto fire behaves a lot more logically than in the original system. Before, each successive shot just had its chance to hit lowered, and if it missed it just spat off in a random direction like a normal miss. In NCTH it models recoil on the weapon so shots will actually all skew off in one direction as the gun jumps away from the original target.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 24, 2012

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ineptmule posted:

I got JA2 Unfinished Business in the GOG.com Interplay sale. I got really excited because I remember playing a demo of JA years ago and liking it a lot.

However.

I COMPLETELY suck. My group of 6 mercs got absolutely destroyed by the first bunch of enemies I encountered in some woods.

My guys were horribly inaccurate, too exposed to advance or reposition, I had hardly any ammo... I just don't get it.

Guns are really really inaccurate without scopes. Once you're able to buy scopes, or find scopes off enemies, the accuracy of your guns will shoot up.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

ineptmule posted:

I haven't played Unfinished Business, but a good general approach to combat Jagged Alliance is to have your opponents come to you instead of attacking. That way you can use your action points on firing, while they spend theirs on moving.

A common early game problem is the lack of good equipment, which would give you more range. To get around this a little, you could try hiring an expensive merc for a day and keep his gun after he leaves. Once you start getting more guns and more scopes etc. the firefights will get a bit easier.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ineptmule posted:

However.

If you're having issues with the enemy being able to kill your rear end through dense foliage, but you can't hit poo poo past 5-10 feet, you may be playing with a version that has various grass/cover tiles inadvertently set up to make forest fighting unbearable. The beginning game isn't really supposed to be easy, but I experienced this particular phenomena first-hand and finally went in and changed it because it was loving stupid.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Flugente just doesn't stop.

Flugente posted:

I externalised squad names to a separate xml. You can now name your squad however you like (as long as its not longer than 10 chars, every exceeding one is cut).

One of the traits I made (atm 4, maybe they'll get more) is the 'vox operator' trait. It allows, among other things, to call in artillery strikes from other sectors. And... you can set your vox operators on scan assignemnt - they will scan for enemy radio traffic, and display their findings on the strategic map.

The other stuff is yours to find :-)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you're having issues with the enemy being able to kill your rear end through dense foliage, but you can't hit poo poo past 5-10 feet, you may be playing with a version that has various grass/cover tiles inadvertently set up to make forest fighting unbearable.
This was an issue of a certain 1.13 revision. UB is not 1.13.

ineptmule posted:

However.

No problemo, that is a common reaction for new players.

A few things though, as it looks the UB from GOG comes without the base game. If that is indeed the case you can not enjoy the fine 1.13 things that we talk about in here. But that may be for the better as it adds more stuff to learn about.

Also, UB is the "sequel" to Ja2 and more challenging by design. You are really outgunned from the start.

I think it helps when you hire at least one expensive merc with a rifle, to rely on. See him as your base of fire, and let the other guys move around to get closer.

Movement is the most important thing to learn. Always look for cover. Even if it is a spindly tree. Try to flank enemies and don't be afraid to blow some 9mm with your pistols. Lucky hits will happen, sooner or later, and 9mm is common.

However, I would advise you to start with the base game before going to UB. It is much easier to learn and less harsh in the beginning.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Out of curiosity, does anyone recall what is the procedure for getting Wildfire maps into the newest version of 1.13? I think it has been covered earlier in the thread, but can't find it, and the Bear's Pit forums seem to have a lot of outdated info.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

Yes, some guy set up an SVN directory for the WF maps to work with regular 1.13 here

There's a thread on the Bear's pit forums about it here.

I've played with that mod and a recent 1.13 SVN version from a couple of weeks ago recently and it worked fine. I think you have to rename your Data-1.13 folder within your JA2 main folder to "Data-WildFire6.06" and then copy over (and overwrite) everything you just downloaded from the SVN repository linked above.

There you are.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

There you are.

Hey, thanks! Sadly I didn't get it to work (I got a 'could not initialize directory' error on startup) and the lack of documentation is discouraging me from continuing. Apparently this would also delete some mercs and bring in new ones? I was kinda only looking for the pretty maps, but I think I'll manage with the vanilla ones. Thanks anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Been a while since I've played JA2. I just installed 1.13 with Wildfire maps and smeagol's item mod.

So far I am managing, but I did notice that just about every weapon has a default stock now. Role-play and immersion aside, what do these do? They only seem to increase the AP it takes to aim?