Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Certis Baliano posted:

I visited the music store a while ago and the employee showed me a copy of Music Man's Stingray which cost about 350€. I thought that it sounded pretty great, are copies of famous guitars usually of low quality? Should I get a Squier VM P-bass instead? It would cost me just slightly less than Stingray's copy.

Who makes the stingray copy? If it's the "Sterling by Music Man" then it's of pretty decent quality... That's their import line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

Haha yeah, I dunno how, but I was getting a bit overpowered on Cissy Strut. I think they might have cranked up their levels a little bit. That or they were both using some overdrive at that point.

The drummer's really loud, think maybe they turned up a bit so they could hear themelves better? Kinda sounds like the rhythm guitarist is using compression under the solo at least, and the drums are consistently driving, so I think you're just getting a bit lost under everything. How did it sound in the room?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

The drummer's really loud, think maybe they turned up a bit so they could hear themelves better? Kinda sounds like the rhythm guitarist is using compression under the solo at least, and the drums are consistently driving, so I think you're just getting a bit lost under everything. How did it sound in the room?

I don't really remember it sounding any different than the others. Trying to remember what order we recorded them in...

Overall it sounded pretty great considering how we set up. usually we're kind of in a circle pointed towards each other. this time we tried a stage setup, and since it's a tad confined, I was basically on top of my cabinet and couldn't hear myself super well (I usually have another cab on top for shows, so it's usually at ear level).

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm

Scarf posted:

Who makes the stingray copy? If it's the "Sterling by Music Man" then it's of pretty decent quality... That's their import line.

Since I'm quite sick at the moment, I won't be able to go back to the store to ask right away, but looking at their website; namely their brand section, it seems that they're offering basses from the following companies:

Carvin;
Godin;
Schecter;
Fretking;
Vintage;
Encore;
Hohner.

The Squier I was eyeing is sold in a different store.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Scarf posted:

OLPs are decent, aren't they?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

TyChan posted:

OLPs are decent, aren't they?

Not really but it could be one of these. They pretty good quality from what I've heard. The same electronics and hardware as the Sterlings.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Finally uploaded pics of that barn gig I mentioned earlier. I walked in with my upright to see this:

And I thought to myself, this is gonna be sketchy. After bringing all our gear to the loading area through that door, we went through the HUGE curtain to see where we would actually be playing.

HUGE room. The picture doesn't really do it justice. Just think of how tiny those chairs look. My phone is crap in low light, but I also grabbed a shot during intermission from the windows at the back of the previous shot. There's a room behind that glass, with some classy hand-crafted leather chairs, a massive bar full of liquors that I cannot pronounce and a 12-FOOT rear-projector screen for watching a film with a few of the old boys.

The band I was with contains some drat fine jazz musicians, including a few who played for years with the Glenn Miller Orchestra. I get to play with them again tomorrow night!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

CaseFace McGee posted:

Finally uploaded pics of that barn gig I mentioned earlier. I walked in with my upright to see this:

And I thought to myself, this is gonna be sketchy. After bringing all our gear to the loading area through that door, we went through the HUGE curtain to see where we would actually be playing.

HUGE room. The picture doesn't really do it justice. Just think of how tiny those chairs look. My phone is crap in low light, but I also grabbed a shot during intermission from the windows at the back of the previous shot. There's a room behind that glass, with some classy hand-crafted leather chairs, a massive bar full of liquors that I cannot pronounce and a 12-FOOT rear-projector screen for watching a film with a few of the old boys.

The band I was with contains some drat fine jazz musicians, including a few who played for years with the Glenn Miller Orchestra. I get to play with them again tomorrow night!

Congrats dude that is so awesome. :sigh: To be playing in a real band so lucky...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I want to get back into playing my bass. I learned for about eight years in secondary school but it fell by the wayside after heading off on round the world adventures and university.

I have a bass that I love, a Westone Thunder II, which I like because it has a through body neck which is lovely and slim.

The only thing is, it's really quiet. Last time I played it in a band I couldn't get enough noise out of it even with a pretty beastly amp that belonged to a friend.

I talked to my cousin about this (bought the bass off her when I was a whippersnapper) and she wondered whether putting active pickups in it would help.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? Is it something I should consider, a really bad idea, or simply not a priority while I don't even have a solid practice regimen built up?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ineptmule posted:

I want to get back into playing my bass. I learned for about eight years in secondary school but it fell by the wayside after heading off on round the world adventures and university.

I have a bass that I love, a Westone Thunder II, which I like because it has a through body neck which is lovely and slim.

The only thing is, it's really quiet. Last time I played it in a band I couldn't get enough noise out of it even with a pretty beastly amp that belonged to a friend.

I talked to my cousin about this (bought the bass off her when I was a whippersnapper) and she wondered whether putting active pickups in it would help.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? Is it something I should consider, a really bad idea, or simply not a priority while I don't even have a solid practice regimen built up?

I used to have one of these many years ago. Most people mod the pickups: if you search google images, there's just about every modification you can do featured there. So short answer, is yes, get some active pickups, it will improve the basses tone and encourage you to practice!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

ineptmule posted:

http://www.westone.info/thunder2bass.html
Is this the bass you have? If its one of the type with Precision style pickups you will have no problem getting a passive pickup that is loud enough to suit your needs. You may want to check the wiring and make sure there's nothing shorting that is killing your volume first though.

You really don't need to go active to get adequate volume, my two basses with the hottest output are a regular Fender Precision and a Gibson Grabber. The only time my actives are louder is when I make huge EQ changes with the onboard preamp (and that never sounds good).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CaseFace McGee posted:

When I see those pictures all I think is "Little Brown Jug"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Before you swap them out, try adjusting them and raising them close to the strings. Even if you still want new pickups, you can at least get a better idea of how close they'll need to be set to the strings.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Obscure Bass Question:

I'm trying to do some busking with my band but I'm having issues powering my amp. It's a 15 watt Fender Rumble (so essentially a portable practice bass). I have heard rumours about converting car batteries to run amps. Is this possible?

Also, came here to brag about my new bass. After playing for 6 months on a Squier P Bass, I upgraded to this bad boy:

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
I have a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX that runs on like 8 AA batteries. I've used it for busking before, works surprisingly good and uses less power than you'd think. You should be able to get it for $150-$200.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've just purchased for myself an American Standard Jazz Highway One Bass with a Gellen Krueger amp. Both were used purchased for 800$ canadian, the bass was in absolute top shape.

I believe it was probably the best purchase on the used market this month. Can I have the internet's opinion?

js86
Jul 22, 2012
I'm about to snag another SVT-2 Pro for $900 and a tubescreamer clone that I never use, but I think you have me beat.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Odddzy posted:

I've just purchased for myself an American Standard Jazz Highway One Bass with a Gellen Krueger amp. Both were used purchased for 800$ canadian, the bass was in absolute top shape.
Unused condition Highway One Jazzes are about $800, so goodness of the deal is in the amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Odddzy posted:

I believe it was probably the best purchase on the used market this month. Can I have the internet's opinion?

Highway One and American Standard are two separate models. But yeah, decent price. What model GK amp?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Scarf posted:

Highway One and American Standard are two separate models. But yeah, decent price. What model GK amp?

This one, a MB115, 200 watts. I find that the prices for instruments in canada or often times more expensive than they are in the US, it might just be me though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-mb115-1x15-200w-ultralight-bass-combo-amp

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm
People in this thread seem to have a lot of hate towards Squier's Affinity line, but I'm going to ask this anyway. Is it really worth it to shell out 640 bucks to get a Vintage Modified bass (along with everything else I need as a newcomer: an amp, a strap, a bag and a cable)?

For 380, I could get Affinity's starter pack which has the bass and everything else already included.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

So this might be a dumb question, but what do people think of the Music Man Stingray? I've been looking at upgrading from my Schecter Diamond Series Elite 4. Unsure what the public opinion on the schecter is; I love it but kinda just itching to buy a bass. I tried the stingray today and liked the feel to it; the necked seemed faster than the schecter and I loved the slap sound, plus the spacing of the strings and the single pickup made it a lot of fun with lots of room to slap on. I was worried about the size of it as I'm not a big guy (real small hands) but it was much more natural than I thought. My main concern is it seems like it might be a one-trick pony. Does anyone know if I can get a nice finger sound out of it, or is it kind of a slapping only bass? I slap a lot, but I don't want that to be the only trick up my sleeve.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Certis Baliano posted:

People in this thread seem to have a lot of hate towards Squier's Affinity line, but I'm going to ask this anyway. Is it really worth it to shell out 640 bucks to get a Vintage Modified bass (along with everything else I need as a newcomer: an amp, a strap, a bag and a cable)?

For 380, I could get Affinity's starter pack which has the bass and everything else already included.

Where the hell are you that you're getting charged 640 for a VM? I just bought a used VM Fretless Jazz for under 250 a couple weeks ago. The new one right next to it on the wall was 300.

Certis Baliano
Sep 21, 2010

Mystic eyes of charm

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Where the hell are you that you're getting charged 640 for a VM? I just bought a used VM Fretless Jazz for under 250 a couple weeks ago. The new one right next to it on the wall was 300.

In Estonia, but that price includes other things I'll be needing, such as an amp. The bass itself costs 400 USD, tax included. The numbers should be correct, but I can't be sure. I used Google to convert euros into dollars.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Odddzy posted:

I find that the prices for instruments in canada or often times more expensive than they are in the US, it might just be me though.
That is 100% true. Usually. Not so much anymore. I have a Gibson Midtown on order at Long & McQuade that I paid $1250 for while they are listing at that or higher in the US. My last in-production guitar purchase was a made in Canada Godin at $80 more than the MF / GC online price, but the Fender Jaguar I purchased before that was same price as MF / GC. It's kinda all over the place, but not so bad anymore.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Butter Hole posted:

So this might be a dumb question, but what do people think of the Music Man Stingray? I've been looking at upgrading from my Schecter Diamond Series Elite 4. Unsure what the public opinion on the schecter is; I love it but kinda just itching to buy a bass. I tried the stingray today and liked the feel to it; the necked seemed faster than the schecter and I loved the slap sound, plus the spacing of the strings and the single pickup made it a lot of fun with lots of room to slap on. I was worried about the size of it as I'm not a big guy (real small hands) but it was much more natural than I thought. My main concern is it seems like it might be a one-trick pony. Does anyone know if I can get a nice finger sound out of it, or is it kind of a slapping only bass? I slap a lot, but I don't want that to be the only trick up my sleeve.
I have a Stingray and a good 98+% of the time its either pick or fingers, I only ever slap when messing around. Pick is my favorite sound with it though.

As for it being a one-trick pony, I would consider it slightly less versatile than a Precision bass, and they seem to do quite alright. They do have an active EQ, but anything more than a nudge here or there is a bit too much (at least for the 3 band, I've read the 2 band is more forgiving). The pickup placement and two coils in parallel give it a "springy" sound that's always there, so you'd have to dig that sound.

If you could keep the Schecter that would make a good complement to the Stingray. I've never heard one but from the specs its looks like you could use it when you need more traditional tones than the Stingray offers.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

While I like my Stingray, I tend to play my Bongo more. It's a bit more versatile and I like the neck more.

Now if I could only find a used 5 string SSS Big Al :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 6, 2012

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Butter Hole posted:

I've got a fairly recent-model Stingray (no mutes, top-loading strings) and it's a fantastic instrument. 90% of the time I'm playing with a pick, about 10% fingers, and I never slap. Also I use flatwounds. I don't think I'd quite call it a one-trick pony, but there is definitely a very distinctive sound to these basses. If you like that sound they're great, but definitely don't pick one up with the intention to try and dial that out or you'll just end up fighting it.

Really it comes down to whether you like the Stingray sound or not, and in my opinion it's a great sound no matter how you're playing it. It was my dream bass for a long time and owning one now I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. I just really want a Ric to go along with it at this point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Certis Baliano posted:

In Estonia, but that price includes other things I'll be needing, such as an amp. The bass itself costs 400 USD, tax included. The numbers should be correct, but I can't be sure. I used Google to convert euros into dollars.

I don't know about the Affinity line (although if everyone hates them that's a sign), but you should be able to shop around and find a better deal on a VM at least. Assuming you're looking at the pack with the Fender Rumble 15 in it, Thomann has those for €110, and their VM basses start at €245, depending on what model you want exactly. Throw in a Planet Waves cable and a basic strap and whatever for another €20 or so and you're looking at another 100 euros or so over the Affinity pack, which is a bit more but it's nowhere near double. (Your sales tax might change the numbers a little)

Actually it looks like they let you put together your own bundle on that link, so it might be worth reading the reviews of whatever they have, and see if anything catches your eye. Have a look around youtube as well! And if you have anyone with a bit of knowledge who's willing to help you with the used market, that's always an option too

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
So I wanted to ask if any of you have ever played a Fodera before? I was hanging out with a friend of mine and he said he got to play one when he went down to Berklee and he said it was probably the nicest instrument he had ever played. I know really next to nothing (other than what a quick Google search shows) but I'm kind of curious to hear some more opinions about them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

why oh WHY posted:

So I wanted to ask if any of you have ever played a Fodera before? I was hanging out with a friend of mine and he said he got to play one when he went down to Berklee and he said it was probably the nicest instrument he had ever played. I know really next to nothing (other than what a quick Google search shows) but I'm kind of curious to hear some more opinions about them.

I've never gotten my hands on one either, but yeah, they're pretty much the epitome of a Boutique bass... I've gotten my hands on a US Lakland, and Sadowsky and loved both. I'd be interested to see how Fodera stacks up.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

why oh WHY posted:

They are very nice instruments. I've played only a couple, but they didn't have that x-factor that just draws me to an instrument. So I never really played one for more than just to pick it up and noodle on it. There are some shops that try to stock them. Also they are very, very expensive.

That said, the nicest bass I've ever had the pleasure of playing was a Ken Lawrence.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Butter Hole posted:

I have one of the US-made SUB Stingrays with the two band EQ and I really like it. I play with my fingers 95% of the time and never slap, and it can do pretty much whatever I need it to. It is definitely a Stingray though, so the "springy" sound is definitely a quality it has. They have been around long enough to be a fairly common bass that regular folks have, so they don't sound weird or gimmicky in a mix or anything like that. The EQ is definitely a thing that is best left flat (for me, at least) though I always give it a little bit of roll off on the low end. I have used it in a couple of different rock settings (classic rock-y type stuff and heavier rock type stuff) and it has never let me down. It has a chunkier neck more like a P which is a thing I definitely dig. If you like it, do it up, it is something you will likely not regret. I had a Bongo HH for years that I also really dug but lately I have been playing either P's or J's, and the Bongo while versatile couldn't sound just like a Stingray due to pickup placement so I kept the Stingray and sold the Bongo. The Stingray is a mighty fine bass!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I'm a guitarist/bassist/instrument holder and I'm approaching the holidays. As it stands I'm probably going to be getting a nice shiny Christmas guitar. A few days ago I finally restrung my B206 again and am having a shitload of fun with the instrument. I dabbled in ERGs for a bit with 7 string and 8 string guitars without realizing what I really need is a few comfortable 6 string guitars and 4 string basses. I love the idea of extended range but sometimes it's a little too much and I feel more creative with a "basic" setup. Anyway I'm trying to solve a situation. Do I get a 4 or a 5? I like my 6 but its unbelievably huge and heavy and realistically that can't be avoided regardless of the brand. My 4 string options are seemingly endless but I'm afraid I might miss the sternum crushing low B. I'll be playing a wide range of stuff. Lots of tech/jazzy metal, blues, math rock, jazz, prog, and blah blah. I'm not crazy about Fender but I've never really played one much (guitar or bass) and from what I've heard their most popular basses are really comfortable and great sounding guitars. I'm also interested in Schecter stiletto basses, mostly from fuckthesebasseslooksexy standpoint.

Sorry for the jumbled mess of a paragraph, I'm really just looking for suggestions. I want a comfy, meaty sounding, good bass. Oh and probably passive pickups, though I really don't know how different active vs passive is in the bass world.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 8, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I'm a guitarist/bassist/instrument holder and I'm approaching the holidays. As it stands I'm probably going to be getting a nice shiny Christmas guitar. A few days ago I finally restrung my B206 again and am having a shitload of fun with the instrument. I dabbled in ERGs for a bit with 7 string and 8 string guitars without realizing what I really need is a few comfortable 6 string guitars and 4 string basses. I love the idea of extended range but sometimes it's a little too much and I feel more creative with a "basic" setup. Anyway I'm trying to solve a situation. Do I get a 4 or a 5? I like my 6 but its unbelievably huge and heavy and realistically that can't be avoided regardless of the brand. My 4 string options are seemingly endless but I'm afraid I might miss the sternum crushing low B. I'll be playing a wide range of stuff. Lots of tech/jazzy metal, blues, math rock, jazz, prog, and blah blah. I'm not crazy about Fender but I've never really played one much (guitar or bass) and from what I've heard their most popular basses are really comfortable and great sounding guitars. I'm also interested in Schecter stiletto basses, mostly from fuckthesebasseslooksexy standpoint.

Sorry for the jumbled mess of a paragraph, I'm really just looking for suggestions. I want a comfy, meaty sounding, good bass. Oh and probably passive pickups, though I really don't know how different active vs passive is in the bass world.

You might do what I do: Grab a decent Ibanez (I play an SR500, those and up are all ridiculously good basses) and get the nut filed down for BEAD tuning. I play prog metal so I need something pretty versatile and it gets the job done, plus I get the comfort of a 4 without missing out on the low B. It's also kind of a cool challenge to figure out how to get by without a G string sometimes. Just a thought.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
Finished up a few songs with my new band playing a combination of the bacello and and an Ibanez SR500 that some orc spray painted poo poo brown. Like, literally, got it from Guitar Center for 150 bucks because of the cosmetic problems, setup with Marcus Miller Fat Beams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvHfQDTt5s&feature=plcp

So this is the demo. I wrote this song about a crazy ex, I'm playing the bass on this track. It's a pretty simple chord progression with some bass chords thrown in (D major mostly). (G minor to D, eventually to A#, the chorus is F, G, G#, G, and alternates to F, G, G#, A#) the other part during the end of the verse is D to C to A#.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I've played about ten or twelve Foderas at various times in my life, and while they're incredible I think they're living way up at the tail end of the diminishing returns scale. They have access to a very nice stock of old wood they've had for 20 years, and that certainly can account for some of the expense, but there are tons of very small builders that will give you exactly what you want, use the highest quality materials, build with the same exacting attention to detail, and cost 1/3 of what a Fodera does.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've played about ten or twelve Foderas at various times in my life, and while they're incredible I think they're living way up at the tail end of the diminishing returns scale. They have access to a very nice stock of old wood they've had for 20 years, and that certainly can account for some of the expense, but there are tons of very small builders that will give you exactly what you want, use the highest quality materials, build with the same exacting attention to detail, and cost 1/3 of what a Fodera does.

That's what I figured after seeing their prices but I have never played one so I wasn't sure how amazing it was. I think the nicest bass I've ever played was made by this local guy. I can't remember his name but the shop near my house sells some of his work... I might have to go check it out again since I'm looking into a new buying a new bass.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My 4 string options are seemingly endless but I'm afraid I might miss the sternum crushing low B. I'll be playing a wide range of stuff. Lots of tech/jazzy metal, blues, math rock, jazz, prog, and blah blah.

Seconding the BEAD option. I liked the size of my 4 but didn't find much use in the G string. A lower B just feels all around more useful. Definitely a trade off but one I am quite happy with.

Summit fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a decent entry level small-scale bass combo amp? I've been practicing without an amp for a while now, but I need to hear what's going on in order to progress. Also, I'd like to use the amp for recording in a variety of styles, so I'd like something that has good sound without a ton of coloration. It's never (I say that now) going to be used in a live situation so I'm not concerned with output levels.

I know the Roland Cubes of various sizes get recommended all the time in this thread; am I wasting my time asking for a recommendation, or are there other good options out there in that price range?