Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

"You guys" are fans who hate or look down on other fans, and think Hussie hates the same things as you.

For instance, the latest walkabouts were indeed a huge send-up of Tumblr. They were not jokes at the expense of Tumblr though. They were jokes that were just as funny to the Tumblr community as they were to anyone else- probably more so.

You probably aren't exactly the type of person I was imagining, but you did ascribe hatred to Hussie when all he seems to have is a perverse fascination, and it's that kind of attitude I was commenting on.

I mean, I still kind of resent being linked to uu for expressing derision toward incest shippers (:confused:) but if it was just about the violin thing I can assure you that's just a line I've used before and like the sound of it. v:shobon:v No, Hussie probably does not hate people who love his work and give him money for things. I still don't think I'm off base saying that he loves loving with them, though, because (as I believe we can both agree) loving with people on the Internet is Hussie's #1 skill (perhaps #3 behind dialogue and beautiful use of color).

e: VVVVVVVVVVV Yeah I wasn't actually trying to imply malice; that's basically the point of this post here VVVVVVVVVVVV

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hussie loves loving with them, but I think he loves loving with everyone. There's an almost complete absence of malice, and that most of the the targets are in on the joke and don't care.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hussie takes the piss out of various internet groups in the same way a friend takes the piss out of you for the stupid things you might do. Yes he means it when he fucks with various people, yes he loves to do it, however there is no hatred behind it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Homestuck expresses internet culture. I don't think it's possible to make a work that captures the spirit of a thing so wholly without really loving it, reserving a certain affection even for the villains and monsters of the place simply because they too are a part of it all. That PBS youtube channel compared Homestuck to Ulysses and Andrew Hussie by extension to James Joyce, but to me, the most useful comparison is to Charles Dickens. Voluminous stories released serially to rabid audiences, their heroes growing and suffering in ways they could not have imagined, dwelling in a contrived and morally uncomplicated world populated by petty and ridiculous caricatures, yet all brought to life with a humanity and tenderness that bespeak an intimate and even nostalgic familiarity with the reality reflected in it.

Of course, Dickens didn't gently caress with his audience much, but maybe that's just because he was writing for audiences that didn't have first-hand knowledge of the setting.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

gently caress you, this comic isn't teaching me to love otherkin, SJWs, neurotic shippers, "multiple systems", etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eiba posted:

"You guys" are fans who hate or look down on other fans, and think Hussie hates the same things as you.

For instance, the latest walkabouts were indeed a huge send-up of Tumblr. They were not jokes at the expense of Tumblr though. They were jokes that were just as funny to the Tumblr community as they were to anyone else- probably more so.

You probably aren't exactly the type of person I was imagining, but you did ascribe hatred to Hussie when all he seems to have is a perverse fascination, and it's that kind of attitude I was commenting on.

I think you're forgetting the part where Hussie himself, verbatim, has only this to say of Cronus Ampora:

"Cronus is the worst character in Homestuck."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cronus is the exception that somehow manages to prove the rule in a non-specific, hand-waving fashion. :colbert: Also, I like the notion that he somehow represents Reddit, which is a cesspool with no redeeming features or humanizing factors.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Would this make Hussie the Monty Python of our generation?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's got a very Andy Kaufman sense of humor in that the only thing that matters is that it's funny to him. Sometimes it's also funny to other people, but not always.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I seem to remember that Hussie went back and redrew a few panels after the story developed a bit, but I can't remember specifics at all. Does anyone remember which panels were redrawn and why?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
I remember a long time ago, he added the eye scar on the Black Queen, but I think he just forgot to at first. Except for that, I don't really remember anything he changed after the fact that weren't really obviously mistakes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hussie's one true goal is to abolish all barriers between weird internet subculture. Goon shall embrace 4channer. Tumblrite shall embrace Redditor. Somewhere, somehow, two people will disagree about My Little Pony in a civil manner. The Juggalos and the furries and the shippers and the yaois and the anime fans and the trolls and the horses and the social justice crusaders, they will embrace one another as brothers and sisters. One internet, one love.

Then a giant skull monster will destroy us with a rainbow beam.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Look Under The Rock posted:

I seem to remember that Hussie went back and redrew a few panels after the story developed a bit, but I can't remember specifics at all. Does anyone remember which panels were redrawn and why?

He added the clown graffiti on Rose's screenshots of John's room.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Luminous Obscurity posted:

He added the clown graffiti on Rose's screenshots of John's room.

That was actually a trick with the links. He used a 0 in the link to one set of pictures and an O in the link to the other.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

During the panel where you can see Roboaradia robosploding in the background, he originally forgot to draw in Equius, who also witnessed the robosplosion. He later went back and drew him in.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah if you are doing a reread of the story, the first set of screenshots Rose links are still missing the graffiti, since you are at that point still seeing it from John's brain damaged perspective

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

So can someone explain to me what the Megido ancestor is supposed to be making fun of? Somehow I can't place 420 Asian slut as a particular weird group of Internet people

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

When he redraws panels it's usually to correct brief mistakes, like when the Bec Head exile station accidentally had the Troll's version of the Sburb logo, and once or twice he's forgotten to draw Aradia's horns. It's even happened in flashes, in Vriska: Wake he forgot Feferi's headfins at first, and in the "Roxy wanders through dreambubbles" flash he forgot to put dead eyes on dead Nepeta.

Pretty understandable since he draws things as soon as he sits down and posts them as soon as he's finished, leaving little time to unwind from the creative process and notice anything he was too "in the zone" to spot at the moment.

setafd posted:

So can someone explain to me what the Megido ancestor is supposed to be making fun of? Somehow I can't place 420 Asian slut as a particular weird group of Internet people

Well, not every character needs to be a direct pastiche of something. I'm not sure if there's any particular subculture related to angry jerks with zero filter who don't care about anything.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 25, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They don't really match up as much as the first set of trolls do. Latula is a rad person, Porrim is not anything in particular, Aranea talks a lot, Meenah like money and killing things, Kurloz is a crazy person, Mituna is brain damaged, Damara is deranged. The only ones that seem to have a direct analogue are:
Rufio: Dante Basco weeaboo
Kankri: tumblr warrior
Meulin: memes
Horuss: headmate
Cronus: PUA/rapist

edit: apparently Porrim's "character is a parody of libertine "alternative fashion" enthusiasts and sex-positive feminists on Tumblr." I...did not realize that was a notable enough group to be parodied.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 25, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

This can't be said enough. Just remember what Hussie said when he introduced Equius.

Equius is the prime example of the power of Homestuck.

I remember the thread way back when he was introduced, and every time he appeared everyone (myself included) went "Oh no, Equius! :gonk:"

Then things shifted so subtley we never noticed until Seek the Highbl%d when everyone (myself included) went "Oh no, Equius! :ohdear:"

Hussie's ability to not only make all these characters unique, but make us care about them is nothing short of amazing.

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

Elysiume posted:

They don't really match up as much as the first set of trolls do. Latula is a rad person, Porrim is not anything in particular, Aranea talks a lot, Meenah like money and killing things, Kurloz is a crazy person, Mituna is brain damaged, Damara is deranged. The only ones that seem to have a direct analogue are:
Rufio: Dante Basco weeaboo
Kankri: tumblr warrior
Meulin: memes
Horuss: headmate
Cronus: PUA/rapist

edit: apparently Porrim's "character is a parody of libertine "alternative fashion" enthusiasts and sex-positive feminists on Tumblr." I...did not realize that was a notable enough group to be parodied.

Latula is a gamer, Kurloz is another juggalo (I guess?), Mituna is 4chan. And yeah, Porrim is sort of the "good" social justice activist to contrast with Kankri's tumblr activism.

Meenah, Aranea and Damara seem to have the most character beyond "troll who parodies X group of internet weirdos", which is why they're the only ones I don't see double-dying in a few pages.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Meenah and Aranea are good because they have actual characters, and Kurloz is important story-wise. Latula, Porrim, and Rufio are pretty cool and should stick around. Mituna, Meulin, and Kankri aren't very interesting so far, but they aren't particularly bad.

Damara, Horuss, and Cronus are gross and/or weird and should double die.
edit: Triple kill Damara just to be safe because she's also super evil

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Mister Gutsy posted:

Kurloz is another juggalo (I guess?)

Juggalo mime. I wouldn't put it past the world for those to already exist.

Edit: F, totally forgot the voodoo angle.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 25, 2012

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have been invited to a halloween party with a mandatory costume policy on extremely short notice, so I've decided to throw together a four-part Dave costume. (Shirt, bleached hair, shades, lovely sword.)

However, this is on such short notice that I can't possibly order an official MSPA broken record shirt and have it arrive on time. I found a shop that will print me a once-off if I can get the art, so that's my current difficulty. Anyone able to help me out with finding a high-rez image of the record from Dave's shirt? (Broken version preferred.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mister Gutsy posted:

Kurloz is another juggalo (I guess?)

His appearance at least seems to be based on Baron Samedi, or a vodoo priest. Minus the whole top hat and tails thing. Which fits with the whole juju thing I guess?

inklesspen posted:

Anyone able to help me out with finding a high-rez image of the record from Dave's shirt? (Broken version preferred.)

Edit: Do you want it to still be all pixellated? I hope so, this is the best I could get

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 25, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

inklesspen posted:

I have been invited to a halloween party with a mandatory costume policy on extremely short notice, so I've decided to throw together a four-part Dave costume. (Shirt, bleached hair, shades, lovely sword.)

However, this is on such short notice that I can't possibly order an official MSPA broken record shirt and have it arrive on time. I found a shop that will print me a once-off if I can get the art, so that's my current difficulty. Anyone able to help me out with finding a high-rez image of the record from Dave's shirt? (Broken version preferred.)

Better idea. SBaHJ costume. Make it as unbelievably lovely as possible.

Edit: Like so loving bad that when you're done making it you've actually gained time.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 25, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elysiume posted:

Meenah and Aranea are good because they have actual characters, and Kurloz is important story-wise. Latula, Porrim, and Rufio are pretty cool and should stick around. Mituna, Meulin, and Kankri aren't very interesting so far, but they aren't particularly bad.

Damara, Horuss, and Cronus are gross and/or weird and should double die.
edit: Triple kill Damara just to be safe because she's also super evil
(emphasis mine)

You're wrong and should feel terrible.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

His appearance at least seems to be based on Baron Samedi, or a vodoo priest. Minus the whole top hat and tails thing. Which fits with the whole juju thing I guess?

Wikipedia posted:

Baron Samedi spends most of his time in the invisible realm of voodoo spirits. He is notorious for his outrageous behavior, swearing continuously and making filthy jokes to the other spirits. He is married to another powerful spirit known as Maman Brigitte, but often chases after mortal women. He loves smoking and drinking and is rarely seen without a cigar in his mouth or a glass of rum in his bony fingers. Baron Samedi can usually be found at the crossroad between the worlds of the living and the dead. When someone dies he digs their grave and greets their soul after they have been buried, leading them to the underworld.

So he's a psychopomp, and a pretty chill one at that. Kurloz ought to take a lesson and stop being such a creep.

e - if kurloz was a dude just reeling around partying 24/7 with a cigar in his mouth, I'd probably have to officially start liking a Makara.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 25, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It bears repeating: Genesis Frog is really good. Best album in a while, in my opinion. I know a couple of posters said it didn't pick up until Buy NAK Sell DOOF, but I thought it was excellent throughout.

Eiba posted:

This definition is oddly recursive.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
This is from the political cartoon thread but it is relevant to our interests.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

My loving sides, what a finisher.
:sbahj: 10/10

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I did not expect a something awful post to make my day, but this one just did. Amazing. Rorus Raz you are glorious. Well done!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

What's better than drunk Rose? Drunk Rose trying to sound smart, succeeding (sort of), yet still hilariously drunk.

Also that last panel jesus christ rose :allears:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 25, 2012

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Every face is the best new face :swoon:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh... oh no.

Oh my god that face.

Ahaha it's so perfect.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Rose.

ROSE.

Oh my god I want these updates to just go on forever.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I am laughing so hard right now, this is everything I hoped for.

Also poor Jane just got one-upped in the Hilarious Face Department.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This last panel is so amazing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I cannot properly express how much I love embarrassed Dave and totally wasted Rose. And to further drive the point others have made into the ground, THESE FACES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yep, I'm going to have to do something with that last panel. Dave even provided the text.