Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone said if Stokoe is going to do more Godzilla after Half Century war is done? I want to see him draw more fighting monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No word on other Godzilla projects AFAIK. The only thing I remember him saying about future plans is doing some kind of pull out cover for the collected edition if it ever gets there.

Benny the Snake posted:

Saga vol. 1 is availible now for $10.

I'm wondering how is it that this series in issue form can go on without ads in the middle. Is it that Image's profit margins are so low that they can swing it?

Unless they do it for their more popular series like Invincible, I've never seen Image put ads in the middle of their books. And I respect them for that because nothing pisses me off more than going from an emotionally moving page to a lovely ad. At least Dark Horse uses an entire page, double-sided, for ads but I've seen comics where the ad will take up one side of the page just to spite people who bind their own books.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I don't think Image does ads in the middle in general? At least none of the Image books I read (Glory, some Prophet, and some Saga) have them. Likewise, none of the BPRD or Hellboy stuff from Dark Horse has ads in the middle of the story. I think they're mainly a DC and Marvel thing, but I could be wrong.

edit: beaten by like a gazillion hours.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Conan comics from Dark Horse definitely have ads in the middle. Maybe because it's a licensed property or a higher profile book?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Independent books almost never have ads actually in the middle of the books. Those that have ads at all, they generally have ads for other products from the same company.

Don't ask how they can afford to do it, because it's clear that they can. Instead ask how Marvel or DC, who sell 10-100x the numbers of most indie books, can justify treating people like poo poo the way they do AND still have ads in their books.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Something really caught my eye in this month's Previews. Abhishek Singh's Krishna: A Journey Within. It's an original, 300 page graphic novel about the Hindu god. It's not often that I'm interested in a comic for the artwork alone but hooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiit. There could be no dialog and I would still pick it up as an art book.

Amazon has it up for pre-order at 30% off cover price. Previews says it hits December 5.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

al-azad posted:

Something really caught my eye in this month's Previews. Abhishek Singh's Krishna: A Journey Within. It's an original, 300 page graphic novel about the Hindu god. It's not often that I'm interested in a comic for the artwork alone but hooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiit. There could be no dialog and I would still pick it up as an art book.

Amazon has it up for pre-order at 30% off cover price. Previews says it hits December 5.

Hmm, that is some sexy art.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

So that IDW reprint of Zaucer of Zilk that was serialized earlier this year in 2000AD is coming out tomorrow. Obviously, the main draw is Brendan McCarthy's art but it was also co-scripted by McCarthy and Al Ewing (who I've heard isn't so bad himself!) which should be interesting.

I've not read too much McCarthy myself but his collaborations with Peter Milligan on stuff like Rogan Gosh and Paradax are quite fondly remembered by certain parts of the comics internet so I'll definitely picking it up.

e:Comics Alliance has a preview of it with all the images on the same page.

Adam Strange fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 17, 2012

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So Glory returns from hiatus today with #29, which sets up her evil sister. The weird thing about this issue is that Glory's sister curses a lot, but they feel the need to censor it. Then later in the book, there are two scenes with explicit nudity. Comics have a weird sense of what is acceptable and what isn't sometimes.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Shageletic posted:

Mind MGMT is just great. Deep and wonderfully new. A must read.

I can't quote this hard enough. Matt Kindt is kicking rear end left and right (his guest stuff in Sweet Tooth was awesome too).

I'm also thoroughly enjoying Fatale, The Massive, the new Brian Wood Conan series, and oddly enough Alabaster: Wolves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Has anyone said if Stokoe is going to do more Godzilla after Half Century war is done? I want to see him draw more fighting monsters.

Is there any chance for more Orc Stain?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Darth Nat posted:

So Glory returns from hiatus today with #29, which sets up her evil sister. The weird thing about this issue is that Glory's sister curses a lot, but they feel the need to censor it. Then later in the book, there are two scenes with explicit nudity. Comics have a weird sense of what is acceptable and what isn't sometimes.

I thought it was a style rather than censoring, I know Empowered does the same and the book has an adult rating on it anyway. Issue was good too, glad to have it back, especially Glory with her ridiculous pink cat jumper.

Alhazred posted:

Is there any chance for more Orc Stain?

Orc Stain will be back. Godzilla is just a short break for Stokoe to get him to do different stuff.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

pugnax posted:

I can't quote this hard enough. Matt Kindt is kicking rear end left and right (his guest stuff in Sweet Tooth was awesome too).

I'm also thoroughly enjoying Fatale, The Massive, the new Brian Wood Conan series, and oddly enough Alabaster: Wolves.

I love Fatale but, for some reason, I never want to read it. It always sits, unread, for about a week. I'm totally engrossed everytime I finally read the book and have never put it down unsatisfied, but there's just something about it that makes me not want to read it.

\/\/\/I think you nailed it.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 18, 2012

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Soonmot posted:

I love Fatale but, for some reason, I never want to read it. It always sits, unread, for about a week. I'm totally engrossed everytime I finally read the book and have never put it down unsatisfied, but there's just something about it that makes me not want to read it.
I have exactly the same problem! I think maybe because the way it's written works better in TPB form than singles. I always have to go back and re-read the previous issues because I can't remember what the hell is going on. It's a great book but reading the singles is sort of a chore.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
The essays and art in the back of the single issues of Fatale are so awesome though, I'd hate to miss out on them by waiting for the trades. But I totally know what you mean - when I get a new Fatale I pull out the last couple issues and flip through them to try and remember what is going on.

ubiquitous rex
Oct 28, 2003

Mullet power!
Did anybody read B.P.R.D. 1948 yet? I thought it was pretty good. Not a terribly big fan of the art though.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I liked it well enough, but yeah, the faces were a little wonky. And no one's really been able to capture Varvara's creepiness as well as the guy who did 1946.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Has anyone checked out the Dresden Files comic adaptions and the comic prequel? Are they any good? Are they worth the money?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thunderfinger posted:

Has anyone checked out the Dresden Files comic adaptions and the comic prequel? Are they any good? Are they worth the money?

Just read the books.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Art's nice.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I just read LP by Curt Pires and Ramon Villalobos. It's probably the best single issue of anything I've read in some time. Fun, fast-paced story, beautiful art.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I like Robin from Young Justice and Teen Titans and I'm looking for Robin comics that are fun like those two shows are. Are there any? If so, let me know because I am all about the Boy Wonder right now

Edit: oops this may be the wrong thread, I didn't see the "Indie" part just the recommendation

Daric fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 22, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've been reading Crossed since I figure, hey, 'tis the season.

Holy gently caress. This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in any medium, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The fact that so far a zombie loving the stump of a severed leg is one of the less shocking things in the book is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around. :catstare:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 23, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

So I've been reading Crossed since I figure, hey, 'tis the season.

Holy gently caress. This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in any medium, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The fact that so far a zombie loving the stump of a severed leg is one of the less shocking things in the book is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around. :catstare:

Are you reading the original Crossed? Because that's child's play compared to the spin-offs. The webcomic opens with a man loving a still living dolphin in the blowhole while cutting its guts out. It's the scene I show friends who see Crossed and ask me "what's this about?"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Original Crossed is great and one of the best thing Ennis has done though it's obviously very difficult to actually recommend it to somebody. I also really liked that it ended with somewhat of a happy ending all things considered. It's pretty much The Walking Dead/post apocalyptic stuff "done right".

Crossed: Whis You Were Here, mentioned above, is pretty good too though I don't think it has reached the heights of Ennis' work. It's written by Si Spurrier whom I know a lot of goons liked this X-Club mini. And yeah I think may end up being more "gross" ni the long run.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mind MGMT closed the first story arc today and I couldn't be excited to get more. It's definitely near the top of my favorite new comics this year.

I also picked up Brandom Grahams Multiple Warheads and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. 48 pages of an organ hunter lopping off heads and a guy with a wolf dick driving across punny countryside with his girlfriend Sexica. Graham has a fantastic visual style but his absurd lettering pulls me out of the story. I have the same feeling reading King City and it's the biggest hurdle keeping me from finishing it. If I can manage to actually read what people are saying I can't tell if they're saying words or making noises. Like, is "sputz" a curse word? If it is, why do they still use conventional curse words? Why is "SHINX!! in a word balloon when it's the sound of swords being drawn? Or is it, I don't know?!

James Stokoe uses a similar outlandish lettering style but I've never had trouble distinguishing his speech from other noises. Stokoe also wisely uses a universal vocabulary for his onomotopoeia. When you read "KSH KSH KSH" you know poo poo's going down.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Slaughterhaul posted:

Original Crossed is great and one of the best thing Ennis has done though it's obviously very difficult to actually recommend it to somebody. I also really liked that it ended with somewhat of a happy ending all things considered. It's pretty much The Walking Dead/post apocalyptic stuff "done right".

Crossed: Whis You Were Here, mentioned above, is pretty good too though I don't think it has reached the heights of Ennis' work. It's written by Si Spurrier whom I know a lot of goons liked this X-Club mini. And yeah I think may end up being more "gross" ni the long run.

:stonk:

Yeah no not reading that. The poo poo that was in original Crossed was bad enough thank you very much.

(though I'll admit, HORSECOCK made me fall out of my chair laughing every time)

e: I started reading The Darkness, because I loved the games and found out that Ennis wrote the first arc. Surprisingly, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it so far. It's not amazing, granted, but it's better than most of the poo poo that was coming out in the 90s, mostly by virtue of keeping a decent enough sense of humor about itself.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 25, 2012

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Phil Hester's run on the Darkness is amazing, as are all things written by Phil Hester.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Benito Cereno posted:

Phil Hester's run on the Darkness is amazing, as are all things written by Phil Hester.

And he's also an AWESOME guy, which is always nice when the talent is someone you'd be happy to hang out with.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Benito Cereno posted:

Man oh Man I've been reading the Darkness since Hester's run and it was amazing. The new team is VERY good as well. David Hine and Jeremy Haun are the team I didn't know I needed. I can't ever recommend this book highly enough. I was only disappointed in it one month in the past five years. (Whilce Portacio drew a horrid issue a few years ago.)

Someone's getting the first trade of Hester's run from me for BSSSS this year. I decided that long ago.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So how much longer until Disney takes the Star Wars license from Dark Horse and gives it to Marvel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benny the Snake posted:

So how much longer until Disney takes the Star Wars license from Dark Horse and gives it to Marvel?

18 months, according to discussion in the other thread.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

18 months, according to discussion in the other thread.

Just in time to tie into the next film!

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
I've been reading the Dark Horse "Martha Washington" omnibus by Frank Miller on and off the last couple of days and I'd like to say it's really depressing me, not it's bad or sad or anything like that but because it's really great, and a stark reminder to me that all anyone thinks of Miller these days is a "Shortpacked!" comic and a goddamn Batman and some poo poo about hating the Occupy movement, on account of the guy making GBS threads on his own legacy over the past decade by becoming a right-wing Muslim-fearing crank and god damnit that fucker wrote some great fuckin comics back in the day it is completely his own fault for turning lovely but there's a drat good reason the man was hot poo poo in the 80s gently caress fuuuuuck kk k

Maybe I'll go back and read "Ronin" later :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, Miller used to be top of the world. Ronin is fantastic and obviously a huge influence for Samurai Jack, one of my favorite cartoons. I got started with his Darrow collaborations so imagine my teenage mind being blown when I picked up the source material for the Rusty cartoon and it turned out to be the Astro Boy vs. Godzilla crossover I always wanted. And it wasn't just Darrow's art that made Hardboiled and Rusty great, it was Miller's dialog as well. I loved the rambling of Nixon as he tried to reassure himself everything was normal while he destroyed half the city. And the evil monologue of the monster in Rusty as he liquifies people and turns them into twisted versions of himself still gets to me. Want to scare my pants off? Put some body horror in your work and I'm done.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
:getin:

Frank Miller is a piece of poo poo but he's still one of my favourite cartoonists/writers everrrrrr. Dropping Dark Knight, Born Again, Elektra: Assassin, and Year One in the same 2~ year period is nuts.

Ronin is pretty great. If you think of his Daredevil w/ Klaus Janson as him aping the great American comic book masters,then Ronin is him starting to look towards European and Japanese comics in Moebius and Goseki Kojima respectively and incorporating them into his work. It isn't as polished as Dark Knight Returns is, but that's part of the fun!

Weirdly, as much as I love the stuff he draws himself though, I feel Miller's greatest strength has always been as a collaborator. Maybe it's because he's an artist himself and knows when to step back but whether it's with people with similar aesthetic sensibilities as himself, like Mazz or John Romita, Jr, or people that are completely removed from him in terms of art, like Darrow or Siekiewicz or Jim Lee, he always gets really good stuff from them. At the very least, Man Without Fear and All Star Batman are the best JRjr and Lee have ever looked.:v:

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Big Guy shows up in the Martha Washington book, but I've never read his own comic. It ain't expensive so I'll toss it on the ol' Amazon wishlist. He was also cameoed (with lines written by Miller, even) in Mike Allred's "Madman". Too bad I don't actually care for Madman much, all style no substance imho. Too bad because Allred's a pretty good artist, his writing's just bland as heck and obsessed with the 60s!!!

On that note, "Hard Boiled" is not exactly a deep comic, but it's got some interesting ideas about artificial intelligence if you read between the lines. No doubt that it's mainly a showcase for Darrow to make stuff go boom, but I can live with that because of that little extra depth giving it a bit more punch.

Speaking of Geof Darrow, did his "Shaolin Cowboy" ever get completed or collected? It's been years since I've heard word about that.

Also I know I freaked about Miller in that last post but I actually laughed a lot at All-Star Batman and had a great time reading, but I honestly couldn't tell you if I was laughing WITH the writing or AT the writing. Probably both!

al-azad posted:

Want to scare my pants off? Put some body horror in your work and I'm done.

If you want to scratch that itch again, you should check out some of John Smith's 2000AD comics; I'd recommend "Cradlegrave", but his signature work is "Indigo Prime" which I've not read. Yes, I know the man's got the most generic name out there. Here's a writeup on Mindless Ones about Cradlegrave (unsure if I'd recommend reading it all without reading the book, but it's a decent sampler).

sharts fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 1, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Zenith Nadir posted:

Speaking of Geof Darrow, did his "Shaolin Cowboy" ever get completed or collected? It's been years since I've heard word about that.
Shaolin Cowboy actually just had a little book of prose stories with little Geof Darrow doodles in the margins come out. It's not super great but it does have a preview of a new Shaolin Cowboy #1 that Dark Horse is putting out next year sometime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just made the greatest comics purchase of the year right here. Does anyone here like artsy anthologies like Blab! or Kramers Ergot? Then check out Kolor Klimax. It's a 250 page anthology of comics from Northern European artists in a dizzying variety of artistic styles. The best part? Amazon has it listed brand new for $2.88 USD.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

al-azad posted:

I just made the greatest comics purchase of the year right here. Does anyone here like artsy anthologies like Blab! or Kramers Ergot? Then you'd be downright stupid to pass up on Kolor Klimax. It's a 250 page anthology of comics from Northern European artists in a dizzying variety of artistic styles. The best part? Amazon has it listed brand new for $2.88 USD. If you don't have Prime you'll literally pay more for shipping than the book itself. It's practically free, buy this!!!

This makes me not want to buy this book. Your endorsement is literally worse than me just stumbling on it out of the blue.